I think humanity should have a Blockchain version of YouTube

thach958

-Are you so fed up with google's youtube?, let me explain

-I will temporarily call YouTube's Blockchain version "Ourtube"

-Every uploader or viewer will have a token key, like bitcoin

-Each video uploaded on the "Ourtube" network will be fragmented, each fragment will be stored on any Blockchain.

-Each person contributes one or several old PCs, installs an additional hard drive, upgrades the internet network speed package, installs that "OurtubeOS" blockchain, anyone who watches videos on that computer will earn advertising dollars.

-As for the risk of uploading content, there is a rating system that is synchronized with all blockchains, the list of good or bad, the owner of the video, the blockchain containing the video is like a yellow page book, data is end-to-end encrypted just like bitcoin

-And it's blockchain, no one can find out your IP address to sue you for uploading copyrighted content, NO ONE can control this blockchain, including the author who created it, just like bitcoin.

-The worst case when you can't access this network because of DNS blocking, can't see the web, people can make the app to circumvent the law.

-thanks for reading

update 1: To ensure that "underground forces" do not have a chance to sabotage "Ourtube", I recommend that blockchains be equipped with AI accelerators, the purpose of which is to quickly check whether the uploaded video is trash, causing full capacity status of the entire “Ourtube” network

update 2: I want to limit the bitrate of every video around to 10 mbps, with unlimited compatibility of AV1 video codec formats

update 3: Do you remember Kim Dotcom?, the boss of Mega, the blockchain system will be like a yellow page book, and the fragmented video on each blockchain will be encrypted to ensure everything is the same as Kim Dotcom's Mega, in short, to ensuring everyone who participates in Ourtube is safe from the law

update 4: I'm wondering whether to choose Bitcoin or ETH to use it as a tool to share advertising money, when a viewer sees one or more ads in a video, all blockchains containing that video and uploader will receive money from the advertiser, 50% for uploader, 50% for many nodes

Update 5: To avoid the risk of video loss when some nodes of the blockchain lose connection for any reason, I recommend that the network should be able to duplicate and fragment the video to more nodes, similarly  like RAID technology

Update 6: To make sure no one wants to use ad blocker (because it's too annoying), I only want the ad to exist as a banner, with controlled frequency of appearance, maximum 10 seconds if the banner is inserted into a video frame,  If anyone uses ad blocker, the blockchain system will automatically block video streaming to any device that uses ad blocker.

One problem I forsee is that a large amount of data management would be required to avoid uploaded content being lost as PCs were removed from the network or as they broke down

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

4 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

ok sure, but what do i as a regular guy, gain from doing all of this? updating my internet or reviving my old pc's to host this?

I think you should have both 😋

for the creators to be rewarded for their work someone has to buy those tokens, will those be the viewers?

cuz i think i speak for a large majority of humanity when i say i don't wanna pay for videos, can't even in this economy

for the small majority of people that want to pay to watch their favorite creators platforms like patreon on floatplane already exist

1 minute ago, thach958 said:

I think you should have both 😋

what im trying to say is that in today's world something like this could never be mass adopted, cuz the only positive thing about it, is privacy

which in today's world isn't worth much

2 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

for the creators to be rewarded for their work someone has to buy those tokens, will those be the viewers?

cuz i think i speak for a large majority of humanity when i say i don't wanna pay for videos, can't even in this economy

for the small majority of people that want to pay to watch their favorite creators platforms like patreon on floatplane already exist

no no you misunderstood, the token key is actually just a login account, no one will lose money to watch videos or upload videos, no way, only advertisers will be the ones who have to lose money

1 minute ago, thach958 said:

no no you misunderstood, the token key is actually just a login account, no one will lose money to watch videos or upload videos, no way, only advertisers will be the ones who have to lose money

okay sure, but given the anonymity of the whole thing, won't it be extremely easy to fake views by making millions upon millions of accounts and spam views to everyone?

making this site a no-no for advertisers thus no monetary incentive for creators?

5 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

okay sure, but given the anonymity of the whole thing, won't it be extremely easy to fake views by making millions upon millions of accounts and spam views to everyone?

making this site a no-no for advertisers thus no monetary incentive for creators?

That's right, I agree, but I haven't come up with any mechanism to prevent this from happening, yep

Edit: I think there is a simple way, for example, limit the frequency of ad appearances, based on the Token list of the blockchain

Like LBRY and similar services?

32 minutes ago, thach958 said:

-As for the risk of uploading content, there is a rating system that is synchronized with all blockchains, the list of good or bad, the owner of the video, the blockchain containing the video is like a yellow page book, data is end-to-end encrypted just like bitcoin

How would you deal with illegal content that "isn't yours" but is on your drives because you store parts of the chain and or the content on it? What about potential content that is legal in one country but not in another? Knowing the owner of the video means you keep track of who uploaded it, which leads to your next statement:

32 minutes ago, thach958 said:

-And it's blockchain, no one can find out your IP address to sue you for uploading copyrighted content, NO ONE can control this blockchain, including the author who created it, just like bitcoin.

If you attach an owner to things, they can be tracked. Just like Bitcoin, the blockchain is not anonymous. That's why tumblers were made in order to make it harder to track one's activity on the blockchain. Slip up in your privacy management somewhere and they can trace you back and sue you for copyright infringement all the same should they want to.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

41 minutes ago, thach958 said:

Each person contributes one or several old PCs, installs an additional hard drive,

who's gonna pay the E bills for the constant flow of energy in the PC?

22 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

how do you make millions of accounts watch a video without a supercomputer?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Just now, podkall said:

who's gonna pay the E bills for the constant flow of energy in the PC?

how do you make millions of accounts watch a video without a supercomputer?

it's called a botnet

8 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

it's called a botnet

ah yes, isn't that illegal if it isn't their pc?

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Wow, another scheme to turn everybody into petty landlords. Invest in the blockchain so you can earn money with the blockchain. This will in no way create an arms race to invest the most into the blockchain to maximize your investment and the returns on that. It will totally not lead to a scenario where storage media will become a hot commodity causing a shortage based on a gold-rush bubble that will inevitably burst. Because it always does.

Never mind that it's concerning how you tout the potential for unpoliceable criminal activity such as copyright infringement as a feature and not a bug. This is the only way you crypto apologists can spin this, by appealing to this idea that our current body of laws is somehow a problem in itself and that a state of anarchy, might-is-right is desiderable. "Are you fed up with having follow the law? Wouldn't life be nicer if you could just ignore it and make money doing so? Invest in crypto today!"

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

23 minutes ago, podkall said:

ah yes, isn't that illegal if it isn't their pc?

yea but with the anonymity provided by this kind of setup, nobody will be able to stop you

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, ki8aras said:

if it isn't untrackable then there isn't any point to this is there?

I'd imagine hacking a blockchain isn't easy

PC:

PCs I used before:

4 hours ago, ki8aras said:

ok sure, but what do i as a regular guy, gain from doing all of this? updating my internet or reviving my old pc's to host this?

absolutely nothing,  ops "idea" makes no sense and doesn't solve any issues just creates more issues (its also an obvious joke thread 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I think the fact that YouTube has struggled to make a profit for the majority of its existence goes to show why there isn't a viable competitor. 

The amount of data you would be expecting the average user to store is just.... far too high. In reality, this wouldn't work. That's the truth, there's no way that this would ever work. 

This need to push every possible thing into blockchains is just silly. Blockchains have their place, in very specific use cases, but hosting is not one of them 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 9/6/2023 at 2:28 PM, thach958 said:

no one can find out your IP address to sue you for uploading copyrighted content

Wait but that's not a good thing lmao