[UPDATE] Wonderlust – Apple September event; new iPhones and watches

Lightwreather
Go to solution Solved by Lightwreather,

So, here are all the announcements, and stuff that happened:

Apple Watch Series 9

-Largely the same design, the most significant changes are to the internals

-Improved performance, but more crucially, longer battery life, are promised by the new S9 chip. Apple claims 60% more transistors than the Series 8 and a GPU with 30% more transistors. The neural engine's significant improvements to on-device processing for Siri requests, including 25% faster voice dictation, may be the most significant.

-Display now goes up to 2000 nits, double the brightness of Series 8, making it easier to use outdoors. Also goes down to a single nit in dark conditions

-Addition of an Ultra Wide-Band chip to show you the distance and direction to your phone, rather than simply having your phone make a loud noise.

-Apple also promised a new gesture - "Double Tap" that it claims Watch users will be using "every day". This works supposedly by the Neural Engine's detection of "the unique signature of tiny wrist movements and changes in blood flow when the index finger and thumb perform a double tap." Bit skeptical if this will actually catch on though.

-FineWoven is a new watch strap design that Apple is phasing out of its whole product line to replace the leather. FineWoven is a "microtwill made of 68 percent post-consumer recycled content that has significantly lower carbon emissions compared to leather," according to Apple. 82 percent of the yarn used to make the new Sport Loop is recycled.

- Supposedly, the company's first carbon-neutral device.

The Apple Watch SE remains available for $249, while the Series 9 starts at $399. They're both available for preorder today and should be released on September 22.

image.thumb.png.0d40c1b4125c596e50f996f23130ca67.png

Apple Watch Ultra 2

-The Ultra 2 has the same new S9 chip as the Series 9 alongside the same "double tap" feature.

-There's a new display that hits 3k nits, even more than the Series 9. (Sidenote: How bright would be too bright?)

-There's also a new "modular ultra" watchface that uses the edge of the display, “to present real-time data, including seconds, altitude, or depth”.

-There's also now support for Bluetooth cycling accessories, and ANT+ support.

-The battery is the same, hitting 36 hours on a single charge and 72 hours in low-power mode.

iPhone 15 and 15 Plus

Why, it's star of the show, and was literally what everyone was waiting for, waiting agonising minutes after it was revelled to see if a highly anticipated feature would be released. It was.

-Apple ditched its proprietary Lightning port in favour of USB-C (albeit on the USB2 standard; some claim it's because of SoC limitations) on this iteration of the iPhone, very likely because of the EU.

-The edge of the aluminium enclosure has a new contoured design that looks a bit different from the iPhone 14 and gives me a Pixel 4-esque vibe

-Apple also claims the iPhone 15 devices are the first phones to have a "color-infused back glass." Apple's announcement said that it strengthened the phones' back glass with a "dual-ion exchange process" and then polished it with nano-crystalline particles and etched it for a "textured matte finish."

-Dynamic island was introduced.

I take minor issue with Apple calling it an "all-new design" when it really isn't that different from the iPhone 14 and 14 Pro but I suppose that's a me thing.

-Spec bump to the A16 which was on last year's Pro line-up

-Main camera system was upgraded to a 48 MP sensor that takes 24 MP photos, using a default computational photography process. This is the same system found on the iPhone 14 Pro. Alternatively, you can opt for the "2x Telephoto" option with three "optical-quality" zoom levels (0.5x, 1x, or 2x).

-Additionally, for all of the iPhone 15's cameras, machine learning will automatically switch the main camera into portrait mode, with richer color and low-light performance, when appropriate. Night Mode ("sharper details and more vivid colors") and Smart HDR (brighter highlights, and improved mid-tones, shadows, and renderings of skin tones) are reportedly upgraded, too.

-The cameras will also introduce focus and depth control, which lets you switch focus on an image from one subject to a different subject after the photo has been taken.

I will admit, that is pretty cool

-Also includes the second-gen Ultra Wideband chip (same as in the Apple Watch). Apple said it enables connectivity with other devices from up to a three-times longer distance.

-The iPhone 15 is supposed to have better audio quality during calls, thanks to a new machine learning model that automatically prioritises your voice and can filter out more background noise, if you select "voice isolation" mode during a call.

This is also pretty cool, and will absolutely be very helpful when yer trying to listen to someone talking in a very windy place. THANK YOU APPLE.

-Apple is also adding Roadside Assistance via Satellite with the new devices. Users will be able to text roadside assistance and then select what they need assistance with, with options such as "flat tire" and "locked out" appearing via a menu that comes up in response. The feature will debut in the US with AAA.

-The iPhone 15 starts at $799 (128GB), and the iPhone 15 Plus starts at $899 (128GB) available on September 22, with preorders starting this Friday.

-Apple also launched new case options for the iPhone 15 series, including the new FineWoven material.

image.thumb.png.605a45ad77ef302f304408a319a6baca.png

Apple (via ArsTechnica)

iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max

-Apple announced that new iPhone 15 Pro line-up will switch from a stainless steel frame to one made out of a brushed "grade 5 titanium," which they says makes the phone more durable and lighter.

I honestly expected them to bump the price just because of this

-The phone is also a little smaller than past models thanks to slimmer display bezels. The screen sizes stay the same—6.1 inches for the base model and 6.7 inches for the larger iPhone 15 Pro Max one. Apple didn't announce any changes to the phones' actual screens, so expect the same resolution, ProMotion refresh rate, and brightness as before.

-The iPhone's tradition mute switch was replaced by an "action button" . By default, it still serves as a mute switch, but users can change it to launch apps or the camera or custom Shortcuts workflows, which I see as a neat inclusion. There will be a different haptic response depending on if the action mutes or unmutes.

-The Pro line-up will once again be a generation ahead of the non-pros with the introduction of the A17 Pro, which is apparently Apple's first chip built on TSMC's 3nm node. It continues to use two large high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores; Apple says the performance cores are 10 percent faster than they were before, a relatively mild improvement, while the efficiency cores are more efficient rather than being faster.
   -The A17 Pro's six-core GPU is 20 percent faster than the A16 and Apple has also added hardware-accelerated ray-tracing. This is something I don't see as being particularly useful on a phone, but I did call out that this would be implemented by Genshin Impact and Honkai Star rail. Speaking of which RE4 will also be coming to the iPhone.

-The chip also includes hardware acceleration for the AV1 video codec that is becoming more popular on streaming services.

-Apple has also added a new USB controller to power that USB-C port, allowing the iPhone 15 Pro (Max) to use USB 3 transfer speeds. 
"technically, this would make it either a USB 3.1 gen 2 or 3.2 gen 2 controller, if you can keep the USB-IF's naming straight" –ArsTechnica

-Apple says the Pro's 48-megapixel main sensor is larger than the one in the regular iPhone 15. Like the iPhone 15, by default, it will shrink the finished product down to 24 MP to save storage space, but if you're shooting in ProRAW mode you can get the full 48 MP image for cropping and editing. The camera defaults to a 24 mm focal length, but 28 mm and 35 mm options are also made possible by the large sensor, and you can set any of the three focal lengths as your default.

-Apple says that after an iOS update "later this year," the phone will be able to shoot spatial video that can be viewed in three dimensions in a Vision Pro headset.

-The iPhone 15 Pro starts at $999 (128GB), and the iPhone 15 Pro Max starts at $1,199 (256GB) available from the 22nd of September with preorders starting this Friday. FineWoven cases will also be available for the Pro line-up.

iOS and macOS

-iOS 17 hits supported devices on September 18

- macOS 14 Sonoma will be available on September 26, just over a week after iOS 17

Sources

Apple - [1] [2]

ArsTechnica – [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

3 hours ago, Obioban said:

I, for one, enjoy the yearly find something to get angry about experience.

Never understood why people need to get angry about this stuff.

Apple doesn't explicitly say that they invent any of this stuff. They're just marketing. It's pretty silly to get mad over marketing. Like go touch some grass.

iPhone users are happy to get features they never had before. Extremely simple concept. Why do other parties need to crap on us? 

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 9/18/2023 at 8:09 AM, saltycaramel said:

I was today years old when I found out 2nd gen Airpods Pro (both the 2022 and the 2023 flavors) are FCC approved to also operate in the 5GHz range

2022 Airpods Pro:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/BCG-A2698

2023 Airpods Pro:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/BCG-A3047

What gives?

Maybe the lossless/low_latency communication with the Vision Pro works over 5GHz?

Sooo..yes, it is the 5GHz

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/22/apple-on-airpods-pro-vision-pro-lossless-audio/

A17 Pro's TDP seems to be 14W. Also the iPhone 15 Plus has way better battery life than the 15 Pro Max. Which probably means that the 60Hz 15+ is a better buy if you care about battery life compared to the 120Hz variable refresh rate A17 Pro 15 Pro Max.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Battery life and power efficiency is not looking good for the iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max

• iPhone 15+ (A16 Bionic) lasts at least 2 hours longer than the 15 Pro Max (A17 Pro)
  • Both the 15 Pro/Pro Max with the aforementioned chip gets unusually hot when charging

I don’t see what’s the big deal about the Plus phone having a better battery life than the Pro Max phone, I thought it was common knowledge already last year? There was also an Apple tv ad specifically about the 14+ being a champion of battery life.

I understand that it’s interesting to ponder about what contributes to such a battery advantage (60Hz vs 120Hz, no AOD vs AOD, A16 vs A17 Pro), but globally it’s totally expected for the 15+ to be a better battery performer, I disagree with the “but the Pro Max phone it’s pricier so it should beat the Plus in battery life” comment in that video. 

Now, if one really wanted the Pro Max to be more like a Plus in terms of battery life, one could dumb down the Pro Max a bit, like 

- disabling AOD 

- disabling 120Hz (“Limit frame rate” in accessibility)

- being in low power mode at all times

The third one is a bit extreme (but it would leverage the better efficiency cores of the A17 Pro), but the first two are simply levelling the playing field with the Plus.

I've just realized next Tuesday is both macOS 14 day and Windows 11 23H2 day. 

This week's WAN includes a not exactly flattering demo of the new Copilot-controls-Windows feature of Windows 11 23H2. (with Luke first going "you're holdin..erm, antagonizing it wrong" and then "this is a preview, maybe the final version is completely different")

On the other hand, on Tuesday macOS 14 among other things will get these new Shortcut actions:

• Start Time Machine Backup starts or stops backing up your data with Time Machine on macOS
  • Move Window, Resize Window, Find Windows, Find Displays, and Find Apps are now supported on macOS

Which led me to wonder: what would happen if Apple introduced a new chatGPT-style Siri 2.0 capable of building upon the Shortcuts automation system Apple has already in place on macOS/iOS/iPadOS/visionOS? 

11 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

(with Luke first going "you're holdin..erm, antagonizing it wrong" and then "this is a preview, maybe the final version is completely different")

Got to admit, that section made me laugh. Luke genuinely seemed to be personally offended / felt completely let down that the feature didn't seem to be all that good.

On 9/24/2023 at 9:33 AM, saltycaramel said:

Now, if one really wanted the Pro Max to be more like a Plus in terms of battery life, one could dumb down the Pro Max a bit, like 

- disabling AOD 

Wasn't there a difference in display brigthness between the models as well, or am I misremembering that?  I'm curious what screen brightness settings have been used for the battery longevity tests ("putting the slider somewhere in the middle" for the tests isn't very scientific)

The reports about the iPhone 15s getting very hot during charging don't sound good though. That's a real concern.

1 minute ago, Paul Thexton said:

Got to admit, that section made me laugh. Luke genuinely seemed to be personally offended / felt completely let down that the feature didn't seem to be all that good.

Because the demos of Copilot in the Office 365 Apps looks damn amazing and really well done, he was legitimately expecting the same and well...

On 9/23/2023 at 6:50 AM, captain_to_fire said:

A17 Pro's TDP seems to be 14W. Also the iPhone 15 Plus has way better battery life than the 15 Pro Max. Which probably means that the 60Hz 15+ is a better buy if you care about battery life compared to the 120Hz variable refresh rate A17 Pro 15 Pro Max.

Depends really. If you use a lot of static content, like reading webpages, Pro Max will edge it out thanks to more efficient chipset and display lowering its refresh rate on static content. If you use it mostly for video content and games, it'll probably last less than vanilla model. Unless you lock refresh rate to 60Hz on Pro Max in which case it should perform better again.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Because the demos of Copilot in the Office 365 Apps looks damn amazing and really well done, he was legitimately expecting the same and well...

It will get better. Copilot is AI as a service.

It will age like fine wine to perfection....along with putting a lot of people out of work. But hey, can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, right? 😩

25 minutes ago, StDragon said:

It will age like fine wine to perfection

Like Teams? MS Stream? MS Loop?

Old wine is also known as vinegar 🤣

Anyway it would be one of the first/only 'as a Service' things to actually get better over time. Heck many get worse of time.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Like Teams? MS Stream? MS Loop?

Old wine is also known as vinegar 🤣

Anyway it would be one of the first/only 'as a Service' things to actually get better over time. Heck many get worse of time.

image.jpeg.1ebbf6870603559e09d45b8afd608b9e.jpeg

On 9/24/2023 at 4:33 PM, saltycaramel said:

specifically about the 14+ being a champion of battery life.

The 14+ and the 14PM actually had the same battery life despite the former using a 60Hz panel and a A15 Bionic chip on 5nm.

On 9/24/2023 at 4:33 PM, saltycaramel said:

- disabling AOD 

If you watched the Phone Buff video, the 14Pro Max uses default display settings and yet it had the same battery life as the 14+. Whereas the 15+ edges out the 15PM by at least two hours.

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Depends really. If you use a lot of static content, like reading webpages, Pro Max will edge it out thanks to more efficient chipset and display lowering its refresh rate on static content. If you use it mostly for video content and games, it'll probably last less than vanilla model. Unless you lock refresh rate to 60Hz on Pro Max in which case it should perform better again.

That is not what's happening in the real world. Reviews show that the 15Pro/15Pro Max not only drains battery faster, it also gets unusually hot be it when charging or just daily normal use. The 3NB process that Apple hoarded from TSMC despite low yields is not as power efficient as they want to be over the previous generation.

On 9/25/2023 at 11:20 AM, RejZoR said:

Shouldn't the system lock the refresh rate to the video playing? Refreshing the screen something like 90 times per second playing a 30 Hz video doesn't seem to be a good use of resources. 🤔

And then again the more efficient 3nm video decode ASIC should give the Pro model the edge.

I suspect some software wrinkles need to be ironed out and the new Pro will be mostly identical to the non-Pro Max model.

On 9/25/2023 at 7:12 PM, leadeater said:

MS Stream? MS Loop?

lol. didn't even know these existed. maybe there should be also a graveyard page for MS, like the one for Google.

On 9/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, Dracarris said:

lol. didn't even know these existed. maybe there should be also a graveyard page for MS, like the one for Google.

Funny enough Microsoft doesn't go through things nearly as fast as google does, but when it does, oh boy.

Excluding Windows/Windows Server and Office, MOST other microsoft ventures have short life spans. The Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One migrations also suffer from this on the development side as well, as the SDK's for Windows, DirectX, GDK, etc often just get thrown out, baby, bathwater and all. So if you wanted to port something from Win95/Xbox to Windows 11/Series X, you pretty much are rewriting the game engine, or wrapping the old one inside a new one.

But the hardware-software graveyard, oh my.

Windows CE devices (PDA's, Early Smartphones)

Windows Nokia, Lumia, and Kin phones

Microsoft accessories ranging from original model computer mice and keyboards to Zune

Microsoft IPTV platforms like Microsoft Mediaroom (sold to Ericsson) 

Microsoft Kinect, Lifecam (for use with Windows messenger)

Microsoft Messenger, Skype, Roundtable and few other skype-like services

Microsoft cordless phones (didn't even realize those existed)

Like the big difference is that Microsoft tends to introduce new things too late, after they missed being the market lead, and then give up (eg zune) where as google introduces a pile of things without any firm commitment to those things being around next month. That's why things like Stadia people didn't get very excited for, because google has a mile long grayeyard of not supporting things very long. Microsoft on the other hand tends to support their things until EOL.

But for the same reason I won't buy a Microsoft Phone ever, I won't buy a Microsoft laptop either. Microsoft has a reputation of poor build quality and releasing devices with no upgrade path.

Pretty much Apple's build quality has always been solid other than the occasional over-engineering that makes it difficult to repair. What Apple tends to fail on is anticipating what kind of abuse it's users will "try" to get a virtual video or news article out of.  I would rather Apple make the phone 50% thicker if it adds 2000% more durability and 10X the battery life. I don't want thinner phones.

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

But the hardware-software graveyard, oh my

I actually miss the pre x-box Sidewinder hardware line. Best joystick I ever owned (should still have it, it’s probably in my parents loft)

On 9/20/2023 at 4:14 PM, Obioban said:

I, for one, enjoy the yearly find something to get angry about experience.

i for one, don't understand the hype,  people already have an "iphone" why do they need another one? 

there's also nothing to be angry about, always the same thing only the connectors change.  EXTREMELY boring and underwhelming.  people get really hyped about connectors nowadays, whats next?  💤 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/25/2023 at 10:42 AM, Paul Thexton said:

Wasn't there a difference in display brigthness between the models as well, or am I misremembering that?  I'm curious what screen brightness settings have been used for the battery longevity tests ("putting the slider somewhere in the middle" for the tests isn't very scientific)

The reports about the iPhone 15s getting very hot during charging don't sound good though. That's a real concern.

MrWhostheboss uses brightness calibrator to set displays to same brightness. You can see him use it in the beginning of the test (that thingie he puts on each phone's display in the very beginning). So it doesn't matter what slider means, he's normalizing displays to actual brightness, not slider position.

16 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i for one, don't understand the hype,  people already have an "iphone" why do they need another one? 

there's also nothing to be angry about, always the same thing only the connectors change.  EXTREMELY boring and underwhelming.  people get really hyped about connectors nowadays, whats next?  💤 

Probably because the iPhone is the most used device by ~half the population of developed nations. Small changes applied that widely do matter 😜

Also, first TSMC 3nm chip is interesting to the tech people. 

12 minutes ago, Obioban said:

Probably because the iPhone is the most used device by ~half the population of developed nations. Small changes applied that widely do matter 😜

Also, first TSMC 3nm chip is interesting to the tech people. 

nah, its all just buzzwords sorry and afaik it isnt, its in a few countries like usa and japan, yes, but barely anyone i know has an iphone here in Germany for example. having an iphone comes with a certain stigma which most people would want to avoid, you know (ie being a tech illiterate) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

(i know its not necessarily true, but often it is lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

24 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

nah, its all just buzzwords sorry and afaik it isnt, its in a few countries like usa and japan, yes, but barely anyone i know has an iphone here in Germany for example. having an iphone comes with a certain stigma which most people would want to avoid, you know (ie being a tech illiterate) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

(i know its not necessarily true, but often it is lol)

Germany is one of the lower iphone usage rates of wealthy nations, it's true, but still trending towards 50%

image.thumb.jpeg.12b0c1d40b572e633a184a237ab822c9.jpeg