[UPDATE] Wonderlust – Apple September event; new iPhones and watches

Lightwreather
Go to solution Solved by Lightwreather,

So, here are all the announcements, and stuff that happened:

Apple Watch Series 9

-Largely the same design, the most significant changes are to the internals

-Improved performance, but more crucially, longer battery life, are promised by the new S9 chip. Apple claims 60% more transistors than the Series 8 and a GPU with 30% more transistors. The neural engine's significant improvements to on-device processing for Siri requests, including 25% faster voice dictation, may be the most significant.

-Display now goes up to 2000 nits, double the brightness of Series 8, making it easier to use outdoors. Also goes down to a single nit in dark conditions

-Addition of an Ultra Wide-Band chip to show you the distance and direction to your phone, rather than simply having your phone make a loud noise.

-Apple also promised a new gesture - "Double Tap" that it claims Watch users will be using "every day". This works supposedly by the Neural Engine's detection of "the unique signature of tiny wrist movements and changes in blood flow when the index finger and thumb perform a double tap." Bit skeptical if this will actually catch on though.

-FineWoven is a new watch strap design that Apple is phasing out of its whole product line to replace the leather. FineWoven is a "microtwill made of 68 percent post-consumer recycled content that has significantly lower carbon emissions compared to leather," according to Apple. 82 percent of the yarn used to make the new Sport Loop is recycled.

- Supposedly, the company's first carbon-neutral device.

The Apple Watch SE remains available for $249, while the Series 9 starts at $399. They're both available for preorder today and should be released on September 22.

image.thumb.png.0d40c1b4125c596e50f996f23130ca67.png

Apple Watch Ultra 2

-The Ultra 2 has the same new S9 chip as the Series 9 alongside the same "double tap" feature.

-There's a new display that hits 3k nits, even more than the Series 9. (Sidenote: How bright would be too bright?)

-There's also a new "modular ultra" watchface that uses the edge of the display, “to present real-time data, including seconds, altitude, or depth”.

-There's also now support for Bluetooth cycling accessories, and ANT+ support.

-The battery is the same, hitting 36 hours on a single charge and 72 hours in low-power mode.

iPhone 15 and 15 Plus

Why, it's star of the show, and was literally what everyone was waiting for, waiting agonising minutes after it was revelled to see if a highly anticipated feature would be released. It was.

-Apple ditched its proprietary Lightning port in favour of USB-C (albeit on the USB2 standard; some claim it's because of SoC limitations) on this iteration of the iPhone, very likely because of the EU.

-The edge of the aluminium enclosure has a new contoured design that looks a bit different from the iPhone 14 and gives me a Pixel 4-esque vibe

-Apple also claims the iPhone 15 devices are the first phones to have a "color-infused back glass." Apple's announcement said that it strengthened the phones' back glass with a "dual-ion exchange process" and then polished it with nano-crystalline particles and etched it for a "textured matte finish."

-Dynamic island was introduced.

I take minor issue with Apple calling it an "all-new design" when it really isn't that different from the iPhone 14 and 14 Pro but I suppose that's a me thing.

-Spec bump to the A16 which was on last year's Pro line-up

-Main camera system was upgraded to a 48 MP sensor that takes 24 MP photos, using a default computational photography process. This is the same system found on the iPhone 14 Pro. Alternatively, you can opt for the "2x Telephoto" option with three "optical-quality" zoom levels (0.5x, 1x, or 2x).

-Additionally, for all of the iPhone 15's cameras, machine learning will automatically switch the main camera into portrait mode, with richer color and low-light performance, when appropriate. Night Mode ("sharper details and more vivid colors") and Smart HDR (brighter highlights, and improved mid-tones, shadows, and renderings of skin tones) are reportedly upgraded, too.

-The cameras will also introduce focus and depth control, which lets you switch focus on an image from one subject to a different subject after the photo has been taken.

I will admit, that is pretty cool

-Also includes the second-gen Ultra Wideband chip (same as in the Apple Watch). Apple said it enables connectivity with other devices from up to a three-times longer distance.

-The iPhone 15 is supposed to have better audio quality during calls, thanks to a new machine learning model that automatically prioritises your voice and can filter out more background noise, if you select "voice isolation" mode during a call.

This is also pretty cool, and will absolutely be very helpful when yer trying to listen to someone talking in a very windy place. THANK YOU APPLE.

-Apple is also adding Roadside Assistance via Satellite with the new devices. Users will be able to text roadside assistance and then select what they need assistance with, with options such as "flat tire" and "locked out" appearing via a menu that comes up in response. The feature will debut in the US with AAA.

-The iPhone 15 starts at $799 (128GB), and the iPhone 15 Plus starts at $899 (128GB) available on September 22, with preorders starting this Friday.

-Apple also launched new case options for the iPhone 15 series, including the new FineWoven material.

image.thumb.png.605a45ad77ef302f304408a319a6baca.png

Apple (via ArsTechnica)

iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max

-Apple announced that new iPhone 15 Pro line-up will switch from a stainless steel frame to one made out of a brushed "grade 5 titanium," which they says makes the phone more durable and lighter.

I honestly expected them to bump the price just because of this

-The phone is also a little smaller than past models thanks to slimmer display bezels. The screen sizes stay the same—6.1 inches for the base model and 6.7 inches for the larger iPhone 15 Pro Max one. Apple didn't announce any changes to the phones' actual screens, so expect the same resolution, ProMotion refresh rate, and brightness as before.

-The iPhone's tradition mute switch was replaced by an "action button" . By default, it still serves as a mute switch, but users can change it to launch apps or the camera or custom Shortcuts workflows, which I see as a neat inclusion. There will be a different haptic response depending on if the action mutes or unmutes.

-The Pro line-up will once again be a generation ahead of the non-pros with the introduction of the A17 Pro, which is apparently Apple's first chip built on TSMC's 3nm node. It continues to use two large high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores; Apple says the performance cores are 10 percent faster than they were before, a relatively mild improvement, while the efficiency cores are more efficient rather than being faster.
   -The A17 Pro's six-core GPU is 20 percent faster than the A16 and Apple has also added hardware-accelerated ray-tracing. This is something I don't see as being particularly useful on a phone, but I did call out that this would be implemented by Genshin Impact and Honkai Star rail. Speaking of which RE4 will also be coming to the iPhone.

-The chip also includes hardware acceleration for the AV1 video codec that is becoming more popular on streaming services.

-Apple has also added a new USB controller to power that USB-C port, allowing the iPhone 15 Pro (Max) to use USB 3 transfer speeds. 
"technically, this would make it either a USB 3.1 gen 2 or 3.2 gen 2 controller, if you can keep the USB-IF's naming straight" –ArsTechnica

-Apple says the Pro's 48-megapixel main sensor is larger than the one in the regular iPhone 15. Like the iPhone 15, by default, it will shrink the finished product down to 24 MP to save storage space, but if you're shooting in ProRAW mode you can get the full 48 MP image for cropping and editing. The camera defaults to a 24 mm focal length, but 28 mm and 35 mm options are also made possible by the large sensor, and you can set any of the three focal lengths as your default.

-Apple says that after an iOS update "later this year," the phone will be able to shoot spatial video that can be viewed in three dimensions in a Vision Pro headset.

-The iPhone 15 Pro starts at $999 (128GB), and the iPhone 15 Pro Max starts at $1,199 (256GB) available from the 22nd of September with preorders starting this Friday. FineWoven cases will also be available for the Pro line-up.

iOS and macOS

-iOS 17 hits supported devices on September 18

- macOS 14 Sonoma will be available on September 26, just over a week after iOS 17

Sources

Apple - [1] [2]

ArsTechnica – [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

1 hour ago, SlashedM said:

New AirPods with USB-C seem to be a half upgrade, IP54 resistance on both the case and buds, and ??? lossless audio for vision pro, only on the USB-C variantIMG_1531.thumb.jpeg.240fe739d757f0257a88efd4c4ceb98b.jpeg

Haha you beat me to it.

But i didn't see this article/press release. Now it's weirder because it doesn't do the full 24bits? Only 20? I don't think i've ever seen that before. I'm slightly more confused

3 hours ago, Retro_R said:

Ok, i have some thoughts about the "new" airpod pros they kinda announced today. I say quote on quote new, because they're not really new. They're the same 2nd gen pros, but now with USB-C™️ charging. Soo, what about the people who already have the 2nd gen pros with lightening? Are we just fucked and have to carry a lighting cable just for my airpods? "Oh but just buy another pair" i'm not paying $250 for the same product with a different port, and i think most people won't either. Will there be some type of replacement program for old ones? There was no talk of it and this is apple we're talking about, i dont think they're gonna do that.

But another thing. I was looking around through the airpods pro page, like a sane human would and i noticed something.Screenshot2023-09-12at18-56-49AirPodsPro(2ndgeneration).png.6ae4405c1e7dc4e687a961207c9169dc.png

So these "new" airpods pro are lossless? But only with vision pro (as far as i can tell)? This makes no sense. Especially since the "last" 2nd gens were expected to be lossless, but they weren't. Now this "new" pair of the same pros are now lossless? But only with one product? I don't know if this is supposed to be like some thing where apple tries to make it's most loyal fanboys waste their money to like get the apple experience or whatever, but i feel even then it makes no sense. Like it can't do lossless on the mac either? Those both have the same processor, or i guess it's because of the other chip in it? But like then why can't the previous model do that too? they should both have the same chip. Maybe it does work on that model, but what i can see, it isn't. Like??

The lossless low latency mode is not exclusive to the usb-c case Airpods Pro2. It will work the same on the old lightning ones. The buds themselves are unchanged. 

As for why it only works with the AR headsets (first Vision Pro, then Vision Air, Vision Pro2, Apple Glass, etc.), and not with iPhones, my uneducated guesses:

1) iPhones connect to Airpods (potentially) across rooms, whereas the headsets are in a fixed ultra-short-range position, literally inches apart from the Airpods

2) the headset may be connecting to each (L/R) Airpod individually with a dedicated H2 chip for each one?

3) Adding one or two H2 chips is too costly to make it worth it for 90% iPhone users just to have lossless audio, but it’s ok on a niche extremely pricey device like the Vision Pro

Whatever the reason, at the moment the Vision headsets get this exclusive perk (lossless ultra low latency wireless audio) unavailable on iPhones and Macs. 

Soo, what about the people who already have the 2nd gen pros with lightening? Are we just fucked and have to carry a lighting cable just for my airpods? "Oh but just buy another pair" i'm not paying $250 for the same product with a different port, and i think most people won't either.

The old Lightning-case Airpods Pro2 have 4 (FOUR) charging options:

1) wired Lightning

2) standard Qi

3) Magsafe Qi

4) Apple Watch magnetic puck

3 of these are still perfectly current.

Just saying.

Haha you beat me to it.

But i didn't see this article/press release. Now it's weirder because it doesn't do the full 24bits? Only 20? I don't think i've ever seen that before. I'm slightly more confused

I can get why it cant do 24Bit. Also just realized I may be wrong, seems the vision pro page only states that it needs AirPods Pro 2nd Gen, no word on whether USB-C is an upgrade for internals or not

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

34 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

1) iPhones connect to Airpods (potentially) across rooms, whereas the headsets are in a fixed ultra-short-range position, literally inches apart from the Airpods

Yeah the range is the reason for this got such a short range and a predictable short range you can get a lot more bandwidth even over the ex frequency range used by the devices. 

12 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Yeah the range is the reason for this got such a short range and a predictable short range you can get a lot more bandwidth even over the ex frequency range used by the devices. 

The unexpected advantage of face-mounted spatial computing: turns out ears are closer to eyes than they’re to hands..

Are the AV1-obsessed crowds here happy that Apple Silicon (the A17 Pro and, hence, probably the M3) is finally getting hw AV1 decoding? 😄

Now iOS has to support 3 different screen styles on a large scale for several years to come. 

• Standard rectangle
  • Notch (+ smaller notch)
  • Dynamic Island

It's going to be interesting to see how fragmented the OS and app experience will get because of this. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Now iOS has to support 3 different screen styles on a large scale for several years to come. 

• Standard rectangle
  • Dynamic Island

It's going to be interesting to see how fragmented the OS and app experience will get because of this. 

The safe area for apps doesn’t include the notch/island anyway…

Obviously the Dynamic Island users are getting some exclusive optional features…the good thing this year is that even the vanilla 15s are getting the Island…unfortunately the next iPhone SE won’t get it, I think..

1 minute ago, saltycaramel said:

The safe area for apps doesn’t include the notch/island anyway…

Obviously the Dynamic Island users are getting some exclusive optional features…the good thing this year is that even the vanilla 15s are getting the Island…unfortunately the next iPhone SE won’t get it, I think..

Fragmented as in how many of the heavily advertised features will be locked out.

That being said...there's probably no reason why a dynamic island features couldn't be modified to be a "dynamic notch"...mhmm..

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

41 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Apps that use system frameworks more or less get safe area support for free, most apps do not have any reason to disable the top safe area so they will avoid any notch or other issue automatically. 

Is there a way to get rid of the dynamic island from screenshots? It's so fucking ugly!

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

12 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Is there a way to get rid of the dynamic island from screenshots? It's so fucking ugly!

Within an app you can capture a screen grab of the entier apps UI but at a system level no the screen shot is of the display output (so includes the island)

21 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Fragmented as in how many of the heavily advertised features will be locked out.

Some of that is kinda by design, to entice upgrades to the latest phones.

On the other hand Apple also needs to foster developer support for the feature, and that requires a wide user base. (otherwise the feature will be end up being killed, see the Touchbar or 3D Touch)

I think keeping the Dynamic Island exclusive to the Pros for 12 months was fair game, now it’s already on all the latest phones. And on last year’s Pros. (incidentally, Pro iPhones have bigger sales numbers than vanilla iPhones)

Apple still sell the SE, 13 and 14/14+, so the day every iPhone available on the Store will have Dynamic Island is still a couple of years down the line, but it will come. But by then there will be new exclusive features for the latest Pro phones 😄

This is perhaps the most cringe part of the Apple keynote trying to placate everyone that they're now Eco friendly but no mention of easier repairs. I mean look at the like/dislike ratio. Apple must've paid a lot of money to these actors lol.

Also at around 3:43 the lady said that they aim to "permanently remove carbon in the atmosphere". Anyone who studied high school science knows that you can only reduce atmospheric carbon but you cannot permanently remove it because every animals including humans breathe out CO2 as a byproduct of metabolism. Hence it's quite misleading. Heck even decaying matter like a dead tree or a dead deer emits CO2 and CH4.

Screenshot(172).thumb.png.a6e7755d89f15d3fe4e068fc9aac1922.png

10 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Within an app you can capture a screen grab of the entier apps UI but at a system level no the screen shot is of the display output (so includes the island)

No wonder iPhone 13 screenshots are better

Now that the A17 Pro supports Ray Tracing, does it mean that by next year Macs with the M3 chip will have something similar to DLSS?

18 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Now that the A17 Pro supports Ray Tracing, does it mean that by next year Macs with the M3 chip will have something similar to DLSS?

Ray Tracing and DLSS (or any kind of AI-backed upsampling technique, for that matter) are unrelated/orthogonal, AFAIK.

However it should mean that M3 Macs will have native RT support, which is nice, I guess.

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Yes we fully expect M3 based apple silicon chips have hardware RT acceleration (they have some of the best APII support for this)
Something very interesting in today's presentation was the fact that apple told us that metalFX a 17 uses the neural engine for upscaling, in the past we were always led to believe that metalFX was more like AMD solution and p shaders however they said explicitly in today's presentation that on A17 the neural engine is driving the upscaling so yes on M3 we should expect MetalFX to be similar to DLSS.  

10 hours ago, Retro_R said:

Soo, what about the people who already have the 2nd gen pros with lightening? Are we just fucked and have to carry a lighting cable just for my airpods? "Oh but just buy another pair" i'm not paying $250 for the same product with a different port, and i think most people won't either. Will there be some type of replacement program for old ones? There was no talk of it and this is apple we're talking about, i dont think they're gonna do that.

This is how technology goes. Or well, how basically everything goes. 

AMD doesn't give you a new CPU just because they release a new one. Apple won't give you new earphones just because they release new ones.

You buy what you buy, and then you have that. If something new comes out, then you have to buy it again to get that.

I think you can buy new charging cases for Airpods, so Apple will probably start selling those soon. At that point, you might be able to buy just the case (seems to be 80 dollars for the current one) and just replace that. I wouldn't expect them to give you a lower price just because you own the old ones though.

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Ray tracing and DLSS are two separate things.

But from what I've gathered, Apple already has something similar DLSS which they call "MetalFX".

@LAwLz

I mean, you can also buy USB cable that has Lightning with USB-C adapter (or vice versa). It'll be cheaper than whole AirPods case and when you stop using Lightning entirely, you just keep the adapter on and it'll just be USB-C connector in the end. That's how I bridged the gap between USB-C and microUSB years ago. I still have powerbank that has microUSB input, but I can use the same cable to charge my USB-C smartphone from it. When I'll have no microUSB devices left anymore, I'll just leave the adapter on at all times and it'll just be USB-C cable. It's not ideal, but it's cheaper, works and is not wasteful as cable will remain in service.

It's funny-- I primarily want one so I can start recording spatial video/taking spatial photos. Feels like in the future this is going to be one of those inflection points where photos without it look like... what black and white photos look to us today. Kids will imagine the world used to be 2D, like kids today imagine the past in black and white.

A little early for me to upgrade, but my wife if due for $1000 off from AT&T-- so will upgrade her, and all the family photos/videos will be taken with her phone.

A17 is a pretty massive upgrade on the GPU, but it mostly has me excited for the implications to the Mac processors. Hardware AV1 (I assume that'll include an encoder on the Mac side), hardware ray tracing, and 3nm should all be significant benefits on M3. I would guess a base M3 family computer is in my future, and M3 Pro or Max MPB for me.

I want an A17 (AV1) ATV update!

... that environmental impact was painful to watch.

10 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

• Standard rectangle
  • Dynamic Island

If only Apple published some kind of Human Interface Design guidelines where considerations like this can be accommodated to instruct developers how best not to accidentally create a poor user experience across different devices.

7 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

MetalFX already exists. Oliver McKenzie gave it a favourable review for Digital Foundry, Apple being Apple it isn't clear if any of the ML functionality of their silicon is involved. or if it's purely compute on the GPU, as they simply haven't talked about the low level implementation.  As far as anyone can tell, it's purely implemented as a shader on the GPU.

The TLDW if you can't be bothered to watch the video is that MetalFX compares favourably to DLSS in terms of image quality, and definitely ahead of FSR2.