AMD officially annouces Inflation of R9 prices is over

For those lazy Forbes was apparently contacted by AMD headquartes saying everything should be at market level again, though not citing why exactly the prices went up in the first place. *Cough* Miners *Cough*

Forbes then lists some cards that are currently at market price to confirm

R9 270 @ $179
R9 280x @ $299
R9 290x @ $549

All i have to say is about damn time.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/13/retail-pricing-for-radeon-r9-graphics-cards-back-to-normal-amd-promises-stability/

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Is this because they're no longer as good for mining compared to other solutions?

Apparently while talking to forbes they were pretty careful not to blame any one thing (especially mining) though thats what im assuming...

"The communication from AMD headquarters was worded very carefully, so as not to blame the shortages and price inflation on the Altcoin (Litecoin, Dogecoin, etc) boom. For those not following that movement, Radeon GPUs have an affinity for doing the type of computing required for mining, but the recent IRS tax ruling and a bunch of other factors has led to increased difficulty and a decline in profitability for said miners."

^ from the forbes article

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Is this because they're no longer as good for mining compared to other solutions?

They still are. 750Ti has a great ratio but at around 300khash/s (if I recall correctly) you can't run really powerful miners for the space it occupies.

The prises ewre never this up here, thank god

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

cool

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Damn, took them long enough.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

What's the proper market price for the 290 non-x?

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

What's the proper market price for the 290 non-x?

Depending on brand 400-450 I believe

Heh. I did think it was a bit funny that this "inflation" just meant that people in the US just had to pay normal UK prices for a few months. The unadulterated horror!!!1

Heh. I did think it was a bit funny that this "inflation" just meant that people in the US just had to pay normal UK prices for a few months. The unadulterated horror!!!1

And for a while New Zealand and Australia had better prices that the states after currency conversion, it was so funny listening to people complain.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

One thing to look out for is bargain 290s and 290Xs now that the bitcoin rush is over, all those miners will probably be wanting to get rid off that hardware ASAP so there should be some cheap 290/290X cards popping up on ebay

Yeah, it's nice to see this craze come to an end, always knew it would not last but I really had no idea how long it would continue. Nice to see some good news on this "FCC screws over net neutrality" day.

One huge factor is due to "Scrypt mining is moving to ASIC mining hardware". This makes GPU mining much less profitable, though you can still mine with a GPU of course, you're just not going make a lot less using a GPU now, and pay out even more in energy.

I grossly overpaid for my Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC, $620 at the time and it's now selling for $430, but I also really didn't care. At least now I can double up and run Crossfire and it won't cost me another $600. =P

Meh, we always had market prices, well, we had inflated British prices but yea, miners don't seem to affect our prices. You can't really complain much about a temporary inflation when we have to deal with this shit forever.

HOSTNAME: VERA | OS: Win10 | CASE: NZXT H440 | CPU: i7 8700K | GPU: EVGA  GTX1080 FTW | MEMORY: 2x8GB Team Group 8pack edition 3200MHz 14-14-14-31 | PSU: Seasonic P1000 | SSD: Vertex 4 512GB, 2 x SanDisk Ultra 2 960GB | HDD: 8TB total | DISPLAY: Acer Predator 1080p 144 Hz G Sync + Acer 27" 1080p | MOBO: Asus Prime-P | KEYBOARD, MOUSE AND PAD: Ducky Shine 5, Corsair M65 Pro and Razer Sabertooth | AUDIO: ASUS Xonar Phoebus, Corsair SP2500, AKG Q701 + ModMic, Audio Technica ATH-M50x | COOLER: Corsair H100i

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

In Portugal we do not have noticed any diference r9 290 always cost 400 euros and a 290x 519 euros

Great news.
I've bought a 270x just two days ago.
Fantastic!

Maybe Nvidia will lower prices in response. No more $700 for top-end cards, please.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

In Portugal we do not have noticed any diference r9 290 always cost 400 euros and a 290x 519 euros

The same prices in Spain

Yeah, it's nice to see this craze come to an end, always knew it would not last but I really had no idea how long it would continue. Nice to see some good news on this "FCC screws over net neutrality" day.

One huge factor is due to "Scrypt mining is moving to ASIC mining hardware". This makes GPU mining much less profitable, though you can still mine with a GPU of course, you're just not going make a lot less using a GPU now, and pay out even more in energy.

I grossly overpaid for my Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC, $620 at the time and it's now selling for $430, but I also really didn't care. At least now I can double up and run Crossfire and it won't cost me another $600. =P

Ugh. If $430 were my budget I could get a GTX 770 or a 280X. "Grossly overpaid" orly

Great marketing move, make a bunch of money, and then lower the prices so more people go for them again.

Truly genius 

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/