Ford BlueCruise is now only available as a monthly subscription

Senzelian
1 hour ago, micha_vulpes said:

Yes, but if it's actually a safety concern there are vastly better modes of transit that should be considered then instead of POVS. Packing it full of tech to avoid inattentive poorly trained operators is a bandaid on a problem.

While I fully understand the limitations that they may not be avalible modes for all; for the majority of the developed and developing worlds, mass transit is constantly the cheaper, faster, safer, more effecient option (North America not included because we suck at this).

Also ironically the tech and cost of new cars is negatively impacting my insurance rates, which went up 22% this year, and 17% last year partially due to the increased cost of repairs on modern vehicles. I have to pay for and subsidize their repairs through my legally required insurance.

I mean one would live in another country to get a full push on some of that.
But nothing are really going to be fully solved. maybe an social/nation wide taxi system that combines both buses and taxi's together with no or little of privately owned cars. Like fully self driving roads and cars used. Some countries or locations will suck without owning a car, although some countries or locations have been built around owning a car. then to the battery to service issues of self driving cars, to their own expenses. Mass transit also got their own issues, be it about health, crime (if not managed), dense areas of people with a lot of current modes of transport, also how often they arrive to any lack of comfort they might offer.

I was SERIOUSLY considering getting (spending waaayyy too much) an F150 last year and the highway self driving was a big piece of it, so so glad I didn’t!!!

I ended up going with a GV80, have to say I’ve been very happy with that, the highway “self driving” (speed match + auto lane keep) has been perfect for what I needed. It’s not too fancy - not going to take exits for you or change lanes, but for those long (4h+) straight shots of highway in Texas it’s been incredible.

Really hope they can’t rug pull me and make it subscription based since I’ve already got it!

I expect all level 2 and up systems to be a sub fee here soon honestly. The one time purchase model doesn't fit how much R&D it is for the systems to work. I don't think you can draw comparisons to this and a sub fee for heated seats or remote start like BMW and Toyota. There is a need for continual software development to maintain proper function of level 2+ systems. Now if it disables functions like active cruse control, lane keep, and low speed follow thats another story. Those are items that can function on their own and have for many other makes and models.

Apparently Ford's old model wasn't making dealerships happy either, because the base software install was taking 8+ hours from what I heard when researching the Mach-E.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I think this move only makes sense. This technology isn't like an airbag, where you pay once and it's useful until it's deployed. It is far more like an MMO; this is going to require constant investment. You simply won't get there with an extra fee per car to the that want it. Eventually it'll reach a point where everything is mapped out, and at that time it'll likely drop drastically in cost. However by then we probably won't own cars anyway, they'll be provided by large corporations/government at your calling. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 hours ago, Senzelian said:

As a owner of a Ford car this saddens me. I was hoping that they might not jump onto the same bandwagon as BMW and other car manufacturers.

Also what happens when Ford decides that this version of BlueCruise is obsolete and they discontinue it? Will they unlock it for everyone or tell customers to buy a new car?

It'll be you need to buy a new car.  Just like how one cannot upgrade from Sync to Sync 3 or Sync 3 to Sync 4 even if one is willing to install the hardware.  You'll have to buy a new car or ... by that point in time... some form of aftermarket self driving tech will be a thing. In fact it already is and has been.  https://www.thedrive.com/news/37833/consumer-reports-ranks-this-aftermarket-driver-assistance-kit-above-tesla-autopilot-cadillac-super-cruise  

I look forward, with trepedation,  to the day the subscription runs out in the middle of a trip and the cars self driving just fails mid left turn or something.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I think this move only makes sense.

What bothers me is that no one seems to notice that the entire premise is wrong.

BlueCruise was always a 3 year subscription before...just before it was a lot cheaper.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 8/18/2023 at 2:22 AM, jaslion said:

Rent a new car. Subscription services are all the rage right? Might as well do it for the entire car!

buy car, rent engine

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

I think this move only makes sense. This technology isn't like an airbag, where you pay once and it's useful until it's deployed. It is far more like an MMO; this is going to require constant investment.

not fully true, it depends. some in future, can fully work locally, but ofc would be good with updates or fixes.

We really need regulations on what can and cannot be a subscription.

The only reason you could justify it as a subscription is if Ford commits to continually and incrementally improve on the features of the guide assist and upgrade the hardware as needed.

If this drive assist is found to be a critical safety measure, I think it's criminal to hide it behind a subscription. Imagine if you had airbags installed, but they do not go off during an accident because you didn't pay a monthly subscription to activate them.

We all know they will maky you pay for hardware anyways. And that's what got me thinking. Coils for seat heating don't cost a lot, and argument was that it isn't more expensive to put them im, as it streamlines process.

Now, it most certainly is not the case with self driving. You need advanced sensors and more computing power on board for this, both of which are expensive. So people not interested in this, will just end up with more expensive cars. And Fords aren't exactly value for money right now, at least here in Europe.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:12 AM, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

If this drive assist is found to be a critical safety measure, I think it's criminal to hide it behind a subscription. Imagine if you had airbags installed, but they do not go off during an accident because you didn't pay a monthly subscription to activate them.

when and where the cutoff point is, and for what.

when there is an subscription for a service they know is "outdated" in 1 year or so, and has to pay for the next "upgrade" if intentionally or not.
To various other reasons there could be and whatever support or lack of support when not paying. Then to know what car has paid for what, so there isn't driver confusion with rented, loaned or other types of vehicles.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:12 AM, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

Actually... no. IMO needs regulation a fair buy  option for some kind of goods. Subscription only should be volontary.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

On 9/1/2023 at 12:34 AM, Ydfhlx said:

We all know they will maky you pay for hardware anyways. And that's what got me thinking. Coils for seat heating don't cost a lot, and argument was that it isn't more expensive to put them im, as it streamlines process.

The argument was by streamlining it it doesn't cost THAT much more.  It still costs more to build, as you now have to deal with more complex assembly and more delicate handling which adds more to the cost.

It's why it's not a bad concept to have the people buying essentially subsidizing the cost for it being in all (which given that it was streamlined would probably work out to roughly neutral that way, except now you get the addition of people who want to rent or buy the option)

On 9/1/2023 at 6:44 AM, mMontana said:

Actually... no. IMO needs regulation a fair buy  option for some kind of goods. Subscription only should be volontary.

I would agree, the option to buy with the caveat that it's an option that doesn't require backend support (i.e. FSD makes sense to allow for subscription, or the general connectivity features which require them to have a data plan)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

FSD is the long lasting lie from Tesla... After "autopilot" as adaptive cruise control.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 6:44 PM, bcredeur97 said:

buy car, rent engine

didn't pay rent for your brakes??  Too bad!  😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/1/2023 at 3:44 PM, mMontana said:

well, actually,  that is some sort of regulation ....

but i like that idea, ofc there would have to be a rule that outright buying isnt more expensive than "renting" or at least limited to a certain %.

otherwise you know they'll make buying just too expensive and people are forced to "rent"...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/18/2023 at 9:12 AM, Senzelian said:

Also what happens when Ford decides that this version of BlueCruise is obsolete and they discontinue it? Will they unlock it for everyone or tell customers to buy a new car?

They'll tell you that your car is out of warranty and that you can either drive it yourself or buy a new one. This is unfortunately standard practice for subscription services like this or really anything that relies on centralized servers, car related or not. It's the same for phone software updates if you think about it, once you're out of the support period you can either keep it as it is, mod it or buy a new one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I wouldn't want to pay or subsidize for self driving hardware in my car if I'm not going to ever use it. But the idea of self driving features as a subscription makes some kind of sense since I'd imagine you'll need updates for maps, security, fixes and what not as compared to a heated seat (*cough* BMW *cough*) which is a basic feature that never needs updating. Heated seats and self driving are not in any way close to each other. You're essentially given the choice of paying for this software support on a monthly basis instead of having that software support be lumped in with the price of the car. Ford could just increase the price by another 4k per vehicle to account for 5 years of software support for self driving and no one would complain. I can't speak for whether or not this is reasonably priced, but at the end of the day, if you don't want self driving, don't pay for it. 

Although funily enough Ford Blue Cruise is reasonably priced in the UK at only 17.99 a month plus a 90 day free trial.