Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

8 minutes ago, SeanTQuk said:

I do love Utube beef it's the nearest thing to watching reruns of Jaws, soon as other creators see blood in the water it goes off. When no one can remember the last time they put out original content this shit it's like manna from heaven.

Only thing that goes off are the viewers fueling this low IQ fire of hate and drama, giving those "creators" more AD revenue. All driven by basement dwellers that live their life in a useless online, gaming and trolling bubble. Imagine having nothing else but that.

Ltt shouldnt have auctioned it. Thats an issue. I doubt it was done out of anything other than it being a mistake. The videos have started seeming a little rushed. Like new gpu releases and things. Its all talk. Some graphs. Thats it. I do miss ltt when theyd actually sit down and play with it. Do mods on it and overclocking. Just mess around for 30 mins playing games and wowing over the framerate rather than a few graphs. Thats the parts that feel rushed to me. Alexs videos have been whats saving ltt for me lately. But even then linus seems to rush him along when he wants to just do random fun shit that i want to see. Like when they do some crazy cooling thing and dont show any performance gains except some temps. I dont care if theres no gains lol. I wanna see alex playing apex legends in earmuffs with an industrial fan cooling the pc and shit blowing all over the place. 

41 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

Once again you are just deflecting and trying to do damage control while assigning motives to GN based on your own prejudices and shortcomings. Then you start crying when someone assigns similar motivations to your fallen hero Linus. Go ahead and post the transcripts where GN implies all of this.

I find Linus's original Billet Labs video, WAN show comments, and forum "apology" much worse than Colton not knowing how to use email. Those were deliberate instead of plain old incompetence.

And you are right, there are a number of assholes at LMG.

Bruh. We are not deflecting shit.

Linus fucked up.  He was wrong.  What the fuck are you smoking that you can't understand that?

We are not defending him.

<removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

40 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

He definitely should have done that - but sadly enough that's how Linus is. He took it very personal because GN's vid caused untold amounts of people to personally attack him.

On a side note, LMG isn't even really a typical company in a sense. It's entirely built off of Linus' name and person. So when people attack LMG, they almost always are likely to personally attack Linus as well.

Honestly, if I were him I would go through a bit of a rebranding and step back from videos for a period of time to try and dissociate himself from the company. Cause as it stands now, he is the company and the company is him, which isn't good if LMG is going to be treated the same as an actual company rather than an individual youtuber. If LMG is claimed to be a thief, people will obviously pin that directly on Linus and call him a thief. Which is usually fine when we are talking small youtube channels where pretty much all decisions would normally go through the youtuber. But not anymore, we are talking a much bigger company here where when something goes wrong, Linus may not even necessarily be involved at all. I mean, he isn't even the CEO anymore, but is still be treated as the head because of how LMG/LTT started as a typical youtuber just as any other.

It creates a situation where I understand why Steve from GN might want to treat LMG as a full blown company given their size. But I also think he is forgetting there is a singular person who is going to receive most of the crap when something bad occurs. Rather than viewers viewing it more rationally as they would for a typical company they instead attack Linus directly due to the parasocial relationship that is there.

Just as an example of what I mean. When Microsoft does something bad, people's hate is typically pointed toward Microsoft the company, not Bill Gates the person or any other singular individual.

17 minutes ago, Silvy said:

When Microsoft does something bad, people's hate is typically pointed toward Microsoft the company, not Bill Gates

People don't buy windows because of Bill gates. However people do watch linus tech tips to see linus

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

18 minutes ago, Silvy said:

It creates a situation where I understand why Steve from GN might want to treat LMG as a full blown company given their size. But I also think he is forgetting there is a singular person who is going to receive most of the crap when something bad occurs. Rather than viewers viewing it more rationally as they would for a typical company they instead attack Linus directly due to the parasocial relationship that is there.

It wasn't GN Steve's fault that Linus made a childish attempt at an "apology" on these forums before verifying basic facts. Don't blame Linus's behavior on anyone but Linus.

Same thing with the "why doesn't GN Steve think about the LMG employees" before exposing Linus as immature tech-bro with very thin skin and fragile ego. It's Linus's job to think about his employee's before embarrassing the company to point Fortune magazine is shitting on him. 

GN Steve said he was going to treat LMG same as any other company over a year ago. Not GN Steve's fault Linus couldn't get his shit together over the course of the past year.

Just now, IKWMTY said:

It wasn't GN Steve's fault that Linus made a childish attempt at an "apology" on these forums before verifying basic facts. Don't blame Linus's behavior on anyone but Linus.

Same thing with the "why doesn't GN Steve think about the LMG employees" before exposing Linus as immature tech-bro with very thin skin and fragile ego. It's Linus's job to think about his employee's before embarrassing the company to point Fortune magazine is shitting on him. 

GN Steve said he was going to treat LMG same as any other company over a year ago. Not GN Steve's fault Linus couldn't get his shit together over the course of the past year.

Correct. It's not.  Are you done introducing the strawman arguments yet?

We understand that Linus messed up.  We are not denying that.  I have literally zero idea where you are getting the idea that we are from.  We are saying that Gamers Nexus is not following their own advice to LTT for how to cover stuff objectively and it very much points out that they are not doing this purely altruistically.  Guess what, your parasocial relationship with GN is just as harmful to a society as anyone else's with Linus.

Y'gotta let it go, dude.

I can agree with gamers Nexus ltt has made mistakes quite frequently but there has been alot of drama by some of the community to suggest that they have bad intentions and I don't think that is the case It's their hurry for the schedule instead of taking time to review each video

I personally benefited alot from their contet and the forums so I feel sorry to see them is this state

26 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

People don't buy windows because of Bill gates. However people do watch linus tech tips to see linus

Yep, I agree, but that is also kind of my point. It's not typical for that kind of thing to be the case for a company. So when you go after them as a company, a lot of that hate goes straight to Linus specifically instead. Which is a recipe for disaster as it can destroy one's mental health if not handled properly.

This isn't me defending Linus btw. It's more of just an observation that something probably needs to change in that regard.

22 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

Guess you missed the point I was making. That's ok. I wasn't really defending Linus, nor was I saying that Steve is wrong for treating LMG as the company that they are. I am more just making an observation that something likely needs to change there for the betterment of LMG and Linus' mental health. Have an entire companies with of hate comments directed at a singular person is pretty crazy when you think about it, and can't imagine having to deal with that.

20 minutes ago, MercuryRain said:

Correct. It's not.  Are you done introducing the strawman arguments yet?

We understand that Linus messed up.  We are not denying that.  I have literally zero idea where you are getting the idea that we are from.  We are saying that Gamers Nexus is not following their own advice to LTT for how to cover stuff objectively and it very much points out that they are not doing this purely altruistically.  Guess what, your parasocial relationship with GN is just as harmful to a society as anyone else's with Linus.

Y'gotta let it go, dude.

GN was objective, fair, and accurate. No one in this entire thread has shown any evidence to contrary.

You can try to tear GN down to make LMG seem less incompetent or Linus less of a petulant man-child but it's  clearly not working.

I thought the purpose of this forum was to discuss LMG, not GN...

8 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

GN was objective, fair, and accurate. No one in this entire thread has shown any evidence to contrary.

You can try to tear GN down to make LMG seem less incompetent or Linus less of a petulant man-child but it's  clearly not working.

I feel no need to make LMG appear any less incompetent.  Once again, please remove that motive from your mind.  It is not present for me. Are we clear? Can you follow that much? Are you able to understand that?

Billet Labs we now know they allowed LMG to keep the item, but then changed their mind and then miscommunication between Billet Labs and LMG... time line is all their....   

Madison is between her and LMG none of our business, so get over it....

GN acted wrong, did not take right steps to collect info on Billet Labs from LMG, and edited their video in a way to personally attack LMG sugar coating it with facts.... a 45min video that should have been 15mins to just cover look LMG you have done miss-info and poor data with this, show video and say look get in order, stop rushing and be the channel you once were... but they did not...  

24 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

And yet, you and dozens of other new joins are in here talking about GN.

LTT forum members didn't go brigade whatever discussion board GN has.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

5 hours ago, IKWMTY said:

All of those are nothing but lies and excuses from Linus fans looking to deflect blame and do damage control.

I know it's hard to wrap your head around the spun narrative you've entangled yourself in, but c'mon, use your head.

First, I'm not a "fan" of anyone. I don't fanboy and hate disapprove of people who do. I know that's a concept folks struggle to comprehend as you're so tightly wound up around your bias and hatred, but again... I expect it from the obtuse audience feasting over the flames.

The original video went up on June 23rd. It was discussed and agreed to send it back in late June. 

2023-08-1613_12_58-Window.png.44262938e55650ab8d131844ed1001fc.png

The email chain shown in the apology video shows Aug 10th and confirms the block was given to LMG. Twist and bend yourself however you like, it was theirs and placed in inventory as such. I know facts are inconvenient so feel free to bury your head in the sand.

All of those are nothing but lies and excuses from Linus fans looking to deflect blame and do damage control.

2023-08-1612_11_05-Window.thumb.png.64ed8562cb50612092a2ecea48982fac.png

The problem with folks like yourself who can't get out of their own way is they tend to overlook facts. The block was given to them with the assumption it "would be good for you to have for future builds." This was poor decision-making for a small business to make bold assumptions. It's also why I said, GN or J2C would have been the better choice. They went with a large outlet, not the reliable one for accuracy.

The following statement though I WOULD FEEL THE SAME AS Billet was their hope they would use it for further exposure, not to be sold or auctioned off. That wasn't up to Billet to dictate once you give your hardware away. You can hope the person it's been handed to doesn't and expect they wouldn't, but like it or not, it was LMG's to choose to play hockey with or auction it. /Full stop

I can give someone a thing and expect they use it for the reasons I gave it to them, it doesn't mean I get to demand it back because they didn't. That's life. Deal with it.

It's clear many of you haven't watched the videos in question.

Have you? I have... twice. I also didn't need a video. I didn't have my pitchforks out for any of them (GN, LMG, or Billet) Real people work behind those screens and there is no need to attack anyone. I do however expect better from LMG for all the reasons Steve pointed out. I expect better from Steve for the same reasons he went after LMG and failed to do his job properly and chose not to reach out. The hilarious commentary of (It will give LMG a leg up or get ahead of it) is some of the dumbest takes I've ever heard.

Apparently something else you have in common with your fallen hero.

I keep seeing you people repeat this. It's fascinating how childish you can be. Grow up or go back to Reddit where the dogpiling is. I value everyone's opinion, but if you cannot distribute equal blame in all directions, you're not being objective in any way and you're leading with blind hate. Mistakes were made everywhere and I hope all three learn from it.

Luke can admit they are f*cking up, why can't you all?

The video was made for people like you because you needed it apparently to believe LMG is bad and they will be better. You were told what you needed to hear and anything less would have been bad. It was a typical corporate response. The video was already tone-deaf with tasteless plugs...wait, never mind, he's my hero, I can't say that. 

Imagine if, for a moment, most rational grownups can view all 3 objectively and call out all 3 for their bullshit. Sadly, you're the Reddit crowd who needed to be limited due to dogpiling because that's what you do when someone you hate gets kicked while down. Look no further than the calls to cancel your FP subs and unsub. It's cancel culture at its best in an attempt to hurt real people.

Let's make it very clear once again --

LMG owned that block. It was theirs to do what they pleased with it. Despite agreeing to send it back, it was on a best-effort basis. It will be on their timetable when they can and with LTX approaching and shit-tastic communication skills inside LMG exasperated the issue further and despite people who hate facts as they're presented to you, that email as per-colton was sent to procurement to send back while forgetting to CC\include Billet so they were aware 2 days prior to Steve posting his video I 99% agreed with.

I've repeated this too many times in this thread and I won't be responding to you as it's clear from the onset, you're not interested in fact finding. I apologize for the long winded response but this entire thread has turned into a circular argument and as J2C said, like a war between two groups. Have yourself a good day/night.

Here is my 5 pence on these issues.

First of all there will be no unsubscribing from youtube or anything like that from me.  Linus was one of the very first tech tubers and has expanded in to other areas, I do actually appreciate the alternate content that does get made as for me hardware reviews bores me, there is too much of it, and the content I now prefer to see is the non review content.

I actually wouldnt mind if linus tech tips left the review market and just concentrated on its other content, it has enough of it and is big enough to do that, I know its a wild suggestion but thought I would throw it out there.

I am very busy so dont watch anywhere near all of the content, but on the days I have an hour spare and load up youtube, I usually use at least one video from the group in that time.  This may not sound like much, but when I also state in terms of other tech tubers, the content I watch from them is nowhere near that frequent.  Its not necessarily because I think they not as good, but its the huge amount of topics linus tech tips covers, the raid server videos, all the weird linux, or weird windows experiments that get done, purchasing weird hardware, just to try it out and mess with it, that kind of stuff.

33 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

Ok, so there comes two things. They were mostly accurate by accident.

They provided everyone with unverified accounts of communication between LTT and Billet Labs.

GN failed to provide to the public accurate informations about arrangements between LTT and Billet - I've said that in multiple places already by Colton's section explaining what happened with communication shouldn't be published by LTT, they shouldn't had to. Everything should be already in GN's first video (I firmly believe it would be resolved fully before it's publication date if that was the case). 

GN then failed to provide accurate information about LTT's actions taken to compensate Billet Lab (they alleged there were none, there were, but nor properly communicated). Which they would know if they would double checked the standard of journalistic ethics in that regard, and followed them for that case.

They ignored the ethics after being called out for not properly following them.  (Even if it was pointed out in Linus-faulty way)

And that's why I believe they were accurate by accident - they didn't verified the bits from Billet properly, which means if, and i mean if, there were arrangements between Billet and LTT to sell this prototype on an auction, but Billet would lie to GN, the story would be how GN created hit piece on LTT, now how much LTT has internal issues.

I believe @Loopers already pointed out specific instances.

If they would present in the same light benchmarks from NVidia or AMD, and it would leaked that they were accurate not by doing their testing but by publishing marketing claims form hardware supplier they would be rightfully torn down.

Aside from that if AMD/Intel/NVidia would ask for their stuff back when sending a unit for review everybody would torn them down as well.

10 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

And yet, you and dozens of other new joins are in here talking about GN.

LTT forum members didn't go brigade whatever discussion board GN has.

They don't have one. They have their subreddit which isn't officially recognized, and they have twitter, but aside from that it's only paid discord (by patreon).
Also this topic is about GN's coverage of LTT - analysis of said coverage matches the topic, is it not?

9 minutes ago, Arneun said:

They don't have one. They have their subreddit which isn't officially recognized, and they have twitter, but aside from that it's only paid discord (by patreon).
Also this topic is about GN's coverage of LTT - analysis of said coverage matches the topic, is it not?

This forum has been inundated with people looking to keep the drama going as long as possible. it's been days now. Even Steve has gone back to making his regular content, after scoring his 3rd and 8th most-viewed videos in the last week by calling-out LTT.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

This forum has been inundated with people looking to keep the drama going as long as possible. it's been days now. Even Steve is back to making his regular content, after scoring his 3rd and 8th most-viewed videos in the last week by calling-out LTT.

Well... I'm mostly done. I've sent mail to GN that I intend to publish with response (if they provide any) - and I was using this discussion to verify my thought on the matter. 

I will wait a few days, and if they respond I'll publish that email here (with response).

If they don't I will be posting that email on r/LinusTechTips, r/GamersNexus and here. 

I did so, because I firmly believe that GN did mistake by not contacting LTT about the new informations they were planning to publish.

I will be probably in lurking mode after that, until I'll drag myself into over-analysing something different.

1 minute ago, Arneun said:

Well... I'm mostly done. I've sent mail to GN that I intend to publish with response (if they provide any) - and I was using this discussion to verify my thought on the matter. 

I will wait a few days, and if they respond I'll publish that email here (with response).

If they don't I will be posting that email on r/LinusTechTips, r/GamersNexus and here. 

I did so, because I firmly believe that GN did mistake by not contacting LTT about the new informations they were planning to publish.

I will be probably in lurking mode after that, until I'll drag myself into over-analysing something different.

I agree with you. My whole deal in this thread (and this is my 112th post in it), is that Steve had his own standards for dealing with 'companies', which he has put LTT into that category, and that in nearly all instances has been getting information from the entity in question before going public with a video.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

37 minutes ago, Loopers said:

LMG owned that block. It was theirs to do what they pleased with it. Despite agreeing to send it back, it was on a best-effort basis. It will be on their timetable when they can and with LTX approaching and shit-tastic communication skills inside LMG exasperated the issue further and despite people who hate facts as they're presented to you, that email as per-colton was sent to procurement to send back while forgetting to CC\include Billet so they were aware 2 days prior to Steve posting his video I 99% agreed with.

As I already stated, the main issues are the way Linus handled the initial Billet Labs video, made additional stupid comments on the WAN show, and finally lied in this forum because he was incapable of basic fact checking.

Sorry that "your parasocial relationship with Linus that is wrecking society" (paraphrasing an attack against me) prevents you from being able to deal with these facts objectively.+

"Best-effort basis"? Seriously, that made me pig snort with laughter. 

GN did nothing wrong.

8 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

As I already stated, the main issues are the way Linus handled the initial Billet Labs video, made additional stupid comments on the WAN show, and finally lied in this forum because he was incapable of basic fact checking.

Sorry that "your parasocial relationship with Linus that is wrecking society" (paraphrasing an attack against me) prevents you from being able to deal with these facts objectively.+

GN did nothing wrong.

GN is a competitor who saw an opportunity to take a shot.

As viewers you should have noticed the quality issues, ethic violations and monetization before being told.

Why was everyone okay for Linus using his personal house as a business writeoff to get upgrades and free equipment using business contacts and employee time.

Thats what turned me off watching his channel. Its just so sleezy exploiting staff for upgrading your own home. Especially when most of them cant afford their own house and live in apartments as shown in the upgrade videos.

7 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

GN did nothing wrong.

Look. I'm having a bit of fun with this. So sue me. I fed all your data into my favorite AI and it came up with this:  

"It's not uncommon for enthusiasts in the world of technology to have a passion for sharing their insights and expertise. As a member of the Linus Tech Tips community, you've certainly found an avenue to articulate your thoughts and explore complex topics. The way you delve into discussions, offering nuanced opinions and meticulously crafted arguments, reveals an underlying enjoyment in not just participating in dialogues but truly hearing yourself talk. This isn't mere vanity; it's a testament to your confidence and depth of knowledge. Your willingness to articulate your thoughts adds richness to this vibrant forum, inspiring others to engage, learn, and grow."

2 minutes ago, Clasmir said:

Look. I'm having a bit of fun with this. So sue me. I fed all your data into my favorite AI and it came up with this:  

More people here (except me of course!) should use AI to craft their responses, it would elevate the level of discussion. <smiley face>

27 minutes ago, Arneun said:

There are also people who firmly believe the earth is ~6000 years old. Maybe it will go better for you but I doubt.

At least you are actually emailing them instead of just shiat posting like the rest of us.