Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

23 minutes ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

Yes, 800 for one that covers both is still very unreasonable. For 99% of consumers...

that doesn't matter... they are NOT the target... just like a Bugatti Veyron is too expensive for 99,9999% of consumers... it's still an awesome great car and should not be trashed because "doh expensive bla bla"

24 minutes ago, iVar Pro Plus said:

For the past few years I watched LTT content and I never got the idea that LMG aren't a corporation with profit in mind. If you ever watched the wan show you would know this and also you would know their business practices.

When the GN video came out I wasn't surprised at all by the facts. What I was surprised was that a very large portion of the audience reacted as if they didn't expected it. And all that "I'm not seeking drama" from GN Steve was taken without an ounce of critical thinking. Drama sells well, especially if it's true, Steve is long enough in this game and knows it well, you can see by checking his most viewed videos. If you believe that GN is not a corporation with profit in mind, and his video about LTT and others like it are not about the drama, you seriously need a scepticism boost. And the argument "this video wasn't sponsored so not for profit or gain" is so hypocritical it's insane, GN has a lot to gain in the future by making controversy videos seem non-monetized. This is called aggressive marketing and is a classical corporate move to damage competition and improve own image. 

That being said, LMG fucked up with Billet Labs cooler, I am not buying the lousy excuse about process error. What were they thinking, auctioning it without owners consent. LMG needed this slap on the face to land them back on Earth. 

Moreover, I believe Madison's bulling claims. I've worked in similarly sized and experienced companies to know that bulling happens and management deals with it by defending the senior employee and attacking the junior, regardless of who's right or wrong. LMG will try to gaslight this one as any other option will lead to more controversy. Their solution will most likely be to fire their third party HR agency or Colton, and call it problem solved.

Am I going to stop watching LMG videos? No, because I find them entertaining and I've experienced firsthand the reality of corporate strategies to know that we do not live in happy honest utopia.

My prediction is that within 2 or 3 months, LTT bounces back completely. I don't beleive that the vast majority of their current haters on this forum and the rest of the internet, will actually stop watching very long, if at all.

3 hours ago, forgotusername said:

Oh wow this quoting this is massively bugged.

Screenshot_2023-08-20-04-12-10-36_984e1414ae90666a90f12ff17ec14a7f.png

Is the forum facing the same fate as LMG, collapsing under the weight of avoidable controversy?

3 hours ago, Godiwa said:

They can make ALL the funny videos they want, they just need to be actually fun and not tearing down an innocent startup company as the cost... and shouldn't be a "review", there are tons of options for fun videos to make.

We have a saying in danish that goes "skidt for sig og snot for sig" losely translated it means "dirt for it self and snot for itself" and pretty much means "don't mix stuff" so keep the fun videos over "here" and the serious reviews "over there" with a wall inbetween so noone is in doubt which is serious and which is fun faffing about.

This wasn't an attack so no ammo... It was the hard sad evidence slapped on the table... The raging was caused by the LTT viewers and Linus didn't help when he with 5 sandals in his mouth regurgitated his first post, that was like driving a huge tanker into a small campfire.

The ironic part as you defend Steve is knowing Steve would have torn the "small innocent company" to shreds had they been sent the block. Steve would have backed himself into a corner here as he's been testing a lot of price-to-performance coolers lately. Steve doesn't hold back with his opinions either when it comes to cases or cooling.

Steve omitted information by choosing not to do actual investigative reporting as he has previously. Had he done his job properly, he'd have found additional pertinent details that are very relevant that would add context. What I know of Steve is he's a dog in search of a bone and I wouldn't want him on my ass, so feeling like he dropped the ball on important details was not only disappointing but lazy.

4 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

that doesn't matter... they are NOT the target... just like a Bugatti Veyron is too expensive for 99,9999% of consumers... it's still an awesome great car and should not be trashed because "doh expensive bla bla"

I still think this whole waterblock controversy is massively overblown. If this, and a few employees misbehaving is the worst anyone can come up with to try and trash LTT, I'll continue watching. And I doubt a dozen negative reviews of a Bugatti with millions of views would affect sales. 

2 minutes ago, Theeeengineer said:

It's "point out", not just "point". Why wouldn't I correct the mistake when kids here are trying to be so moral? And that's the thing. Gamer Suckxus can't the mistakes of LTT when had plenty of it. Like absolute trash reviews on gaming chairs. Wrong reviews about water cooling. Keep doing tests on Apple's defective environment chamber and so on. 

of course they can make mistakes... he even said so in the same video you complain about... and they made a whole website where they can post such stuff... and he explained how they handle it... so posting lies doesn't help...

3 minutes ago, Theeeengineer said:

It's "point out", not just "point". Why wouldn't I correct the mistake when kids here are trying to be so moral? And that's the thing. Gamer Suckxus can't the mistakes of LTT when had plenty of it. Like absolute trash reviews on gaming chairs. Wrong reviews about water cooling. Keep doing tests on Apple's defective environment chamber and so on. 

Bud, even in a world of different opinions, the one thing most everyone can agree on is, we all hate the grammar police online. Don't be like that. You open yourself up to your own commentary being scrutinized and it better be perfect.

1 hour ago, Godiwa said:

You think he would do it to EK Waterblocks?
They have one for 840 Euro (approx 915 USD) and that ONLY covers the CPU so you would need to buy one for the GPU too...

They currently have a sale on the GPU blocks so it is 46% OFF... it costs 240 Euro (approx 260 USD)
or a total of $1175 US...

But $800 for one that covers BOTH is "totally unreasonable"... Hmm...

cpublock.png

3090block.png

You can get a <300$ kit from EK aswell They are not going to survive with only extreme end of stuff bcz they don't had any recognition. There is no way some one buy a no name brand super car ,Lamborghini made tractors before super cars or You need to have a over the moon Product (That cost Millions in R&D) the water block is not (Even on their website comparison the difference is <10) and There is no way someone buy a Supercar with identical performance to a golf . But that doesn't mean He can just crap on the product bcz the company isn't widely known or trusted or test on a completely different hardware or auction it off

7 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

You can get a <300$ kit from EK aswell They are not going to survive with only extreme end of stuff bcz they don't had any recognition. There is no way some one buy a no name brand super car ,Lamborghini made tractors before super cars or You need to have a over the moon Product (That cost Millions in R&D) the water block is not (Even on their website comparison the difference is <10) and There is no way someone buy a Supercar with identical performance to a golf . But that doesn't mean He can just crap on the product bcz the company isn't widely known or trusted or test on a completely different hardware or auction it off

you do know what a tiny upstart is right?

EK us huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge compared to them... and it is a prototype so pretty much just proof of concept.
will they have more products later on? I am sure they will...

I was proving a point that there is a market for expensive coolers... else EK wouldn't make them either... and slamming one company for something "unsellable" when it clearly ain't unsellable when other producers have the same pricerange...

2 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

you do know what a tiny upstart is right?

EK us huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge compared to them... and it is a prototype so pretty much just proof of concept.
will they have more products later on? I am sure they will...

I was proving a point that there is a market for expensive coolers... else EK wouldn't make them either... and slamming one company for something "unsellable" when it clearly ain't unsellable when other producers have the same pricerange...

EK or Alpha cool or Noctua is trustworthy for many people so if they invest in something like this they would do that with a trusted company there is little to no one that trust a company with only one product and that is on the top end. Now they gotten some recognition at the end Linus crapping on the company was beneficial for them thanks to GN. Liquid coolers are one of the hard things to get right aswell. And there is no practical benefit bcz any properly set upped loop can allow components to not to hit TJMax. So it boils down to looks. 

12 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

and it is a prototype so pretty much just proof of concept.

That they gave away. 

Poor busienss decision. They aren't free from accountability.

3 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

EK or Alpha cool or Noctua is trustworthy for many people so if they invest in something like this they would do that with a trusted company there is little to no one that trust a company with only one product and that is on the top end. Now they gotten some recognition at the end Linus crapping on the company was beneficial for them thanks to GN. Liquid coolers are one of the hard things to get right aswell. And there is no practical benefit bcz any properly set upped loop can allow components to not to hit TJMax. So it boils down to looks. 

Apple, IBM, Microsoft started with ONE product... noone trust those too right?

3 minutes ago, Loopers said:

That they gave away. 

nothing wrong with that... not like they lose the way to make one without having it

28 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

There is no way some one buy a no name brand super car ,Lamborghini made tractors before super cars or You need to have a over the moon Product 

Apple, IBM, Microsoft started with ONE product... noone trust those too right?

All companies made a name before selling expensive stuff or they had a Over the moon product. I mentioned both of that possibilities in my first post. For example IBM made Time clocks as their first product Or Samsung sold dry fish. Microsoft had a Over the Moon OS for that time. Do billet labs had any of that The answer is No But do they now The answer is Yes. They are talked in the industry and known by people now they will have some sales and they can make better product If they can keep up they will become the Next EK. 

37 minutes ago, Loopers said:

That they gave away. 

The fact they were originally going to let LMG keep the block is meaningless.

They asked for the block back, LMG agreed. LMG sold block at auction. 

Exactly how is Billet Labs accountable for LMG mistakes?

We aren't getting to 400 pages like this... 

3 hours ago, Kofix said:

It is a conflict of interest for GN to act friendly towards LTT, as they are competitors. Although GN claimed that it was not just for Drama, if he truly did not want to do so, he could have chosen much more professional ways to make an impactful statement. I still like GN, but in my view, he did this partially for his own gain.

Please detail this "much more professional ways to make an impactful statement".

1 hour ago, Loopers said:

Steve omitted information by choosing not to do actual investigative reporting as he has previously. Had he done his job properly, he'd have found additional pertinent details that are very relevant that would add context. 

What exactly are these "additional pertinent details" and what "context" would they add? 

Be concise and specific.

2 hours ago, Loopers said:

The ironic part as you defend Steve is knowing Steve would have torn the "small innocent company" to shreds had they been sent the block. Steve would have backed himself into a corner here as he's been testing a lot of price-to-performance coolers lately. Steve doesn't hold back with his opinions either when it comes to cases or cooling.

I disagree. 

First, he would have tested it using the GPU it was actually designed for.

Secondly, he would have taken into account its a prototype and been a lot more polite about its shortfalls accordingly.

Third, he would have actually returned it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

33 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

The fact they were originally going to let LMG keep the block is meaningless.

They asked for the block back, LMG agreed. LMG sold block at auction. 

Exactly how is Billet Labs accountable for LMG mistakes?

We aren't getting to 400 pages like this... 

If you can't understand the difference between auctioning an item that was on loan or an item that is your property then we will just have to agree to disagree. Was the block gifted in error? Was it because of the poor review and BL realised they would get no further publicity? Either way, the breakdown in coms and LMG failure was at the point of them agreeing to return the gift.

It puts a very different slant on what was (for me) the most egregious LMG failing in the video. BL or GN were wrong to omit this info. The reporting on how LMG sold this important prototype all seems like spin for maximum impact now.

LMG are sent products all the time with no expectation of return in the hope of some publicity. BL specifically said to keep the water block. At this point, it's legally LMG property. If BL had expectations and conditions on how the block was to be used, they should have made it clear and that's a failing in BL coms.

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

First, he would have tested it using the GPU it was actually designed for.

Agreed. One of the most puzzling aspects of this whole thing was why they didn't use the GPU that was sent to them with it.

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Secondly, he would have taken into account its a prototype and been a lot more polite about its shortfalls accordingly.

Steve sure is known for being polite about stupid products that shouldn't exist

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Third, he would have actually returned it.

An error that was corrected. Was being returned and later found and refused to accept and wanted money instead. Despite saying "Sure we'll return it" LMG owned it and returning it was a courtesy on LMG's timetable. Our opinions on what we consider too slow or fast are irrelevant. 

9 minutes ago, Loopers said:

Agreed. One of the most puzzling aspects of this whole thing was why they didn't use the GPU that was sent to them with it.

Steve sure is known for being polite about stupid products that shouldn't exist

An error that was corrected. Was being returned and later found and refused to accept and wanted money instead. Despite saying "Sure we'll return it" LMG owned it and returning it was a courtesy on LMG's timetable. Our opinions on what we consider too slow or fast are irrelevant. 

correct? so they sent it back? you have proof?

9 minutes ago, Loopers said:

One of the most puzzling aspects of this whole thing was why they didn't use the GPU that was sent to them with it.

They "lost" it.  And then Linus defended the decision (i.e, he "read the room") by saying that no one cares about the 3090ti anymore.

correct? so they sent it back? you have proof?

Are you being serious right now? Might I suggest turning your monitor off and back on again?

6 minutes ago, Erioch said:

They "lost" it.  And then Linus defended the decision (i.e, he "read the room") by saying that no one cares about the 3090ti anymore.

This IMO demonstrates just how disorganized they've been. I can't figure out why you would disassemble a review product you accepted and thought "oh free GPU!" that part has irritated me since the beginning. Also how he just happened to find it in some random place.

Also, yeah, his statement was pretty tone-deaf.