Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

4 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

You want to know the ironic kicker? GN would have absolutely destroyed Billet Lab's cooler in their tests. This is part of what bothers me - GN now acts as if they're the saviour of Billet Labs but there's no channel as critical and unyielding as GN when it comes to bad or overpriced tech.

I would LOVE for Billet Labs to make a new prototype and send it to GN because that would put Steve in a really bad spot. Shame it would never happen.

I agree on that notion

If Steve or Jay2c review the product truthfully they will also reach the same conclusion as Linus regarding the price to performance ratio

1 minute ago, Cooldoe said:

I agree on that notion

If Steve or Jay2c review the product truthfully they will also reach the same conclusion as Linus regarding the price to performance ratio

I think GN would just refuse to review it - it holds no real value for them since they're not into novel things. From Linus' behaviour LMG likely only reviewed it for its novelty and entertainment value and not because it had "amazing potential" which also explains why he didn't want to invest more time and money since in his mind it wasn't a "proper review" - he was humouring Billet Labs. Billet Labs was a tiny start-up and banked on LMG for exposure and even though it initially backfired, they still got exposure from it. How does the saying go? Bad publicity is better than no publicity? Now they got REALLY lucky with GN defending their corner but they sure did divide the tech community.

10 minutes ago, Cooldoe said:

I agree on that notion

Price to performance is an issue, but at least those 2 would test it with the right card in the first place and not jank some garbage together and then complain that it sucks. But I've beaten that dead horse enough already, time to bury the thing now since people are acting like the main whole part is them not reviewing it properly to begin with kind of brought the world screaming down on them. 

12 minutes ago, CameronP90 said:

Price to performance is an issue, but at least those 2 would test it with the right card in the first place and not jank some garbage together and then complain that it sucks. But I've beaten that dead horse enough already, time to bury the thing now since people are acting like the main whole part is them not reviewing it properly to begin with kind of brought the world screaming down on them. 

Be honest for a moment: do you honestly think GN would have ever reviewed this?

7 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

Be funny if they did. I wish we had seen them review it prior to all of this because now as you pointed out in another post, would put Steve in an awkward position. lol

If I were to answer your question though, no... I think Steve would have ignored it. It's a showpiece with very little real-world benefit. 

GN followers have flatlined for the past few months. I enjoy all their longform content, but I don't think YouTube does.

I have no idea if Steve was shocked, but I'm sure it was unexpected. They were really pushing their 15 year/2m sub celebration t-shirt back in April on the basis they expected to break 2m subs during the sale. If they did ship in July as expected, they still weren't at 2m. Except for a spike of 10k around June 3rd, there have been no gained subs since the start of June.

This obviously changed with the recent video release(s) which has pushed them up to and way beyond the 2m sub mark with +120k subs, so far.

I see comments from people making out Steve is a bastion of integrity and effectively untouchable. I find this ironic as I see his video about LMG/Linus to be his lowest levels of journalism in over 7 years I have been watching GN. More of an op-ed with plenty of speculation and some missing, critical info. I think Steve's already poor relationship with Linus allowed for the decision to accept everything that Billet Labs told him as gospel. At least I hope that's the case and it was nothing more sinister.

I think both organisations run a very similar model, with quite different content. It can be argued that GN don't do sponsored features like ShortCircuit, but both companies take payment from sponsor segments and aren't shy about pushing their merch. LMG obviously do this at scale compared to GN which brings new challenges and issues.

GN doesn't review other YT channels, only LMG, but does anyone believe Steve wouldn't contact Marques or Austin before publishing accusations from a previously unknown third party? He even reached out to Billet Labs for their response to the LMG review in the first place then jumped all over the partial info they provided.

17 hours ago, mikaelus said:

What's a scam about them exactly? And who the fuck are you to be the judge? I really hope someone mows your professional life down the same way one day so you can speak from experience. Some people just need to feel the pain themselves. Like Linus, who came back squealing only after he faced the full extent of public outrage - following not Steve's video but his own reply on this forum.

Jeez, there is seriously something wrong with you. You constantly talk about tribalism but look how upset and personal you are getting in this argument with people. Go touch grass for fuck sake.

What made LMG reach this state is the insane number of videos per week. Judging by the immature rant that blames others and adds insult to injury. This company has outgrown Linus. Someone at LMG better get him under control before he destroys the company. The tech review media has evolved significantly since LTT and LMG were founded. We now have outlets like GN and HUB whose sole priority is accurate testing and correct data. Let's not forget that what started this snowball rolling was another loose cannon at LTT Labs. Please also get him under control or fire him. So far you lost 200K subs, a week's worth of content, and irreperable damage to your brand, your company, and your personal image. All of this because of the stupid upload schedule, an employee who has no idea about the state of the tech review media, Linus' reluctance to spend $500 for accurate testing. That is just sad to see. The fact that they monetized their apology video is just proof that these guys prioritize quantity over quality.

Imagine if that employee said that they want to make their testing data on par with GN or HUB. Both channels would've thanked him for his appreciation of their work, and everyone would be happy.

The Madison situation is just the final nail in the coffin. Find a way to compensate her for all the trouble she went through and don't fight her allegations because you'll lose more than her in the process.

TL;DR Do right by Madison, Fix your damn data, upload less videos, and work on your image with someone who knows something about addressing the public

TDC MK VII: 7900X3D//\\ROG STRIX LC 240 RGB//\\Crosshair X670E Hero//\\Palit RTX 4090 Gamerock//\\SK Hynix Platinum P41 2 TB//\\WD Black SN850X 2 TB//\\WD Black SN850X 2 TB w/Heatsink//\\Samsung 990 Pro 2TB//\\ Samsung 870 Evo 2TB//\\Samsung 870 Evo 1TB

Ihuarraquax: 5950X//\\NH-D15 chromax.black//\\Crosshair VIII Dark Hero//\\RTX 3080 Ti Gaming Pro//\\1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0//\\1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus//\\10TB WD Purple//\\6TB WD Black//\\Xonar DX//\\TT Armor Revo Snow Edition//\\ASUS MG279Q//\\K100 RGB OPX//\\Naga Pro with Dock//\\Artisan Hayate Otsu//\\Glorious Large Mousepad//\\JDS Labs O2 Amp//\\Moukey 4 Channel Stereo Mixer//\\HD6XX headphone//\\Massdrop Minimic

Arc Reactor: 3900X with the Stock Cooler//\\ ROG Strix X570-E Gaming//\\RTX 3080 TUF OC//\\32GB Patriot Viper RGB @3466 MHz//\\256 GB Samsung 850 Pro//\\Asus GT301//\\
Logitech G710//\\Logitech G9X//\\Roccat Raivo//\\Bitfenix ARGB GPU Holder

Tertiary System: 6700K//\\Cooler Master V6GT//\\Gigabyte Z170X- Gaming 7//\\16GB HyperX DDR4 @2666Mhz//\\SanDisk SSD Plus 480GB//\\WD Green 1TB//\\3TB WD Green//\\4TB WD Black//\\6TB WD Purple//\\Cooler Master Storm Sniper//\\Sennheiser HD 598//\\Logitech G502 HERO//\\Roccat Taito Mousepad//\\LG 49" 4K TV 49UM7340PVA

38 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

Probably not, but is that the point? Or was the point TESTING it PROPERLY?

9 minutes ago, Diligence said:

What made LMG reach this state is the insane number of videos per week. Judging by the immature rant that blames others and adds insult to injury. This company has outgrown Linus. Someone at LMG better get him under control before he destroys the company. The tech review media has evolved significantly since LTT and LMG were founded. We now have outlets like GN and HUB whose sole priority is accurate testing and correct data. Let's not forget that what started this snowball rolling was another loose cannon at LTT Labs. Please also get him under control or fire him. So far you lost 200K subs, a week's worth of content, and irreperable damage to your brand, your company, and your personal image. All of this because of the stupid upload schedule, an employee who has no idea about the state of the tech review media, Linus' reluctance to spend $500 for accurate testing. That is just sad to see. The fact that they monetized their apology video is just proof that these guys prioritize quantity over quality.

Imagine if that employee said that they want to make their testing data on par with GN or HUB. Both channels would've thanked him for his appreciation of their work, and everyone would be happy.

The Madison situation is just the final nail in the coffin. Find a way to compensate her for all the trouble she went through and don't fight her allegations because you'll lose more than her in the process.

TL;DR Do right by Madison, Fix your damn data, upload less videos, and work on your image with someone who knows something about addressing the public

Don't forget all those floatplane subs that they milked. He's lost from others have stated at least 6400 subs off that too. Now take that number and multiply it by $50 (assuming everyone that does sub got the $50 yearly one) or by $100 (again, assuming everyone bought the tier 2 sub). Now we can all agree not everyone did that. But the money bleeding is going to really eff up the company for a bit.

1 hour ago, Cooldoe said:

In yesterday’s RTFM show, Jay said that he got in contact with Billet Labs, they already exchanged messages and in the future, he will be testing/reviewing their monoblock (not the one LMG had for review). I seriously doubt though that no matter how good it performs, it will be worth $800. Even if they make a new version, which performs better, etc. I guess we’ll see.

21 hours ago, Loopers said:

Billet withheld pertinent information when communicating with Steve or Steve didn't do his homework and looked foolish reporting on potential theft when that would have been answered had he done what he accused LMG of; put some effort in to reach out for comment and seen proof of an email (albeit didn't cc Billet) was in the process of being sent back, albeit late.

-removed by moderation-

First it was "We didn't sell it, we auctioned it" excuse, followed by "GN didn't reach out to Linus as legally/ethically/morally/courtesy/friendship required" excuse, followed by "GN reached out to Newegg, etc." excuse, followed by "Billet Labs was originally going to let LMG keep the cooler" excuse.  I'm sure there are more out there, but I think I covered the most popular ones.

All of those are nothing but lies and excuses from Linus fans looking to deflect blame and do damage control.

It's clear many of you haven't watched the videos in question. Apparently something else you have in common with your fallen hero.

Luke can admit they are f*cking up, why can't you all?

26 minutes ago, CameronP90 said:

Probably not, but is that the point? Or was the point TESTING it PROPERLY?

I already spelled it out before: the point is that Billet Labs expected to use LMG for publicity. GN wouldn't give it. Hardware Unboxing wouldn't. They knew LMG was into niche tech like this so they took a chance. LMG screwed up but at least they gave it a go. 

8 minutes ago, IKWMTY said:

Talk about delusional and disingenuous...

First it was "We didn't sell it, we auctioned it" excuse, followed by "GN didn't reach out to Linus as legally/ethically/morally/courtesy/friendship required" excuse, followed by "GN reached out to Newegg, etc." excuse, followed by "Billet Labs was originally going to let LMG keep the cooler" excuse.  I'm sure there are more out there, but I think I covered the most popular ones.

All of those are nothing but lies and excuses from Linus fans looking to deflect blame and do damage control.

It's clear many of you haven't watched the videos in question. Apparently something else you have in common with your fallen hero.

You'd make a great judge I can tell. "You only have 30 good excuses for why you committed a crime, that's no excuse!"

1 minute ago, IKWMTY said:

You do know this is not about LTT messing up. This is not about LMG having problems. You do know this right? GN needed views they have been sitting on the low end of the subscriber count for almost as long as LTT existed. People don't find the channel that interesting. That said and you can check this out yourself, every time there is drama GN grows a little. Not by much mind you but just enough for them to believe they are still relevant. With the Noah Katz thing they really saw a good few extra views. Again we don't get the full statistics, it might actually be insignificant or significant. 

The reality is GN could have handled it differently. In fact, there was a time when GN would outright attack smaller YouTubers for taking on LTT.

What change? Well, they got angry. They wanted to do as much damage to LTT as they could. They succeeded. But they didn't realize that some of us recognize what they did and are calling GN out for it.

Talk about delusional and disingenuous...

We are.

We are just also saying that Steve is fucking up and not upholding his own standards. That's hypocritical at best and he clearly has a vested interest and bias to see this outcome go a certain way.

We can do both. Apparently your brain isn't large enough to imagine that there can be a situation where things aren't completely black and white and nobody is right.

19 minutes ago, MercuryRain said:

We are.

We are just also saying that Steve is fucking up and not upholding his own standards. That's hypocritical at best and he clearly has a vested interest and bias to see this outcome go a certain way.

We can do both. Apparently your brain isn't large enough to imagine that there can be a situation where things aren't completely black and white and nobody is right.

Even if GN didn't follow their own standards (which they did) or your made up standards, it wouldn't change the facts about LMG/Linus behavior before or after the initial 8/14/23 video.

This is 100% on LMG/Linus.

Just now, IKWMTY said:

Even if GN didn't follow their own standards (which they did) or your made up standards, it wouldn't change the facts about LMG/Linus behavior before or after the initial 8/14/23 video.

This is 100% on LMG/Linus.

You are welcome to check out every single post I have made on this forum. I never sided with LTT/LMG. So please refrain from jumping to conclusions. Secondly, GN didn't uphold their own standards. This can be proven in two ways. The first is they gave Noah Katz the opportunity to respond. The second fact is they preemptively dismissed the apology video in hopes to control the narrative. Essentially discrediting the video even before it was made or published.

So my conclusion and the conclusion of many others here is, GN wanted to do damage. It was never about the mistakes LTT/LMG made. If it was they could have handled the situation differently and more professionally. It is clear from GN's videos that they had no intention to recognize that LTT/LMG is in the middle of restructuring. For example, they didn't even bother to contact the new CEO. GN had no prior interaction with the new CEO so how can they conclude what the reactions were going to be?

We as a community must recognize this and call GN out because it was sloppy journalism at best or just downright predatorial.

34 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

I already spelled it out before: the point is that Billet Labs expected to use LMG for publicity. GN wouldn't give it. Hardware Unboxing wouldn't. They knew LMG was into niche tech like this so they took a chance. LMG screwed up but at least they gave it a go. 

Fine, but I'd rather not have them screw it up and then blame and gaslight themselves into the current mess they are now in but ya know.

Even if GN didn't follow their own standards (which they did)

If that were true, there would be an edited video up right now that added further context to the Billet Labs situation.

53 minutes ago, Alex T88 said:

In yesterday’s RTFM show, Jay said that he got in contact with Billet Labs, they already exchanged messages and in the future, he will be testing/reviewing their monoblock (not the one LMG had for review). I seriously doubt though that no matter how good it performs, it will be worth $800. Even if they make a new version, which performs better, etc. I guess we’ll see.

if it is worth it to you or not isn't the point...
the review have to be treated with professional respect and the facts about it told
if rich people want to fool around and build and insane custom machine then that is their choice... just like people can make pink pc's or whatever they want, again not your choice...
and if he thinks 800 is too much why did he sell whale tickets for 10.000 to his LTX show?

*Several comments where removed, If yours was removed, likely it was due to violating the Community Standards. If you have an issue, take it up with the mods via a pm and we will discuss it with you.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

All this shows me only one thing: how hateful and drama addicted today's online society is. All this is a huge invitation to stay away from "social" media.

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

All this shows me only one thing: how hateful and drama addicted today's online society is. All this is a huge invitation to stay away from "social" media.

It is difficult to have a meaningful conversation.

I almost consider those, to be diamonds in the rough.

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Social media is poison to the mind. I have stated outright, the only reason I am here is to call GN out for bad journalism. The language he used in both videos was at best rapacious. I recognized it for what it was and came here, registered an account and explained to anyone that was willing to read that I feel GN was at best disingenuous. Since then I have defended my stance and reiterated my stance several times. Everything is documented here on this forum you are more than welcome to read it all.