Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

53 minutes ago, Loopers said:

I saw the original video and as a viewer cannot figure out why he would do a video for something he hated so much.

Probably because negativity drives clicks; case in point, this entire situation. I mean, isn’t GN Steve’s entire shtick just shitting on bad products? I agree he should have retested, but the whole situation seems blown wayyyyyyy out of proportion lol. 

6 hours ago, Biomancer81 said:

Is the implication you make that any journalist or person who claims to be one, does not or should not follow the practices they set forth for themselves and other, simply because they record it in a video format rather than in print.

Ill just let the world of television news, journalistic practices need not apply to their content as it is in video format and therefore not journalistic.

No - that is a bizare straw man you have concocted. 

My implication is that LTT at some point essentially "make up" numbers and don't fact check proerply. So my contenttion is that they don't meet the basic test of jornalsim - to tell the truth and verify it.

For them to attempt to call out Steve from GN for "bad journnalist practices" is preposterously hypocritical. 

If a company produced hardware with the same care, attention, and QC as Linus and his crew produce hardware reviews - LTT would say noone should buy their products.

My second pont was that Linus is being (at best) disengenous saying he didn't sell but "auctioned" the waterblock - becuase an auction is simply a type of sale. 

i.e. Auction - noun - public *sale* in which goods or property are *sold* to the highest bidder.

It is like him saying  "we could have restested it - but it was impossible" - churning out whatever he thinks parses well in the moment - even if it is logically inchorehent or factually incorrect.

1 hour ago, Kitsunelaine said:

I just want to say, isn't it weird that the 24/7 Tech Tips stream is still up? 

if ur local TV station was accusted of "stuff" would you like them to shut down the Channel (live feed) 

7 hours ago, Biomancer81 said:

You obviously cant destect sarcasm either, the way you came on the forums right after it happened, and have only been trolling, I imolied you were Steve from GN.

This all leads me to question your capacity in evaluating information in a meaningful way.

- The Fool

ooh and how old is my account? and how old is yours? yeah...

1 hour ago, SuperGnu said:

They usually put in a video edit in the video explaining why the issue is wrong and then cut back to the video and continue it. But it is rare as they do not make as many mistakes.

they have also pulled down the video and fixed it if it was a bad booboo... but in general they don't have big bad booboos because "QC" which apparently there were not much of on LTT... yes they make small corrections and depending on severity it can get a note... but it is not like 2-3 notes on every single video like it felt like on some other videocreator... and they have a whole website listing that stuff too

and GN didn't say that LMG can't make ANY mistake... because "we are all humans and we make mistakes too" or something similar to that was what they said...

but the LMG fan ARMY suddenly makes it out to nitpicking and GN can't be allowed to make ANY mistakes, because they pointed out that LMG makes too many and also grave mistakes... That is just lame and off the rails...

7 hours ago, Biomancer81 said:

You obviously cant destect sarcasm either, the way you came on the forums right after it happened, and have only been trolling, I imolied you were Steve from GN.

This all leads me to question your capacity in evaluating information in a meaningful way.

- The Fool

Can we let this " you are steve" thing go? 🙂 he did come with one the most stupid statements in all of this. steve is not that stupid lol 

2 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

they have also pulled down the video and fixed it if it was a bad booboo... but in general they don't have big bad booboos because "QC" which apparently there were not much of on LTT... yes they make small corrections and depending on severity it can get a note... but it is not like 2-3 notes on every single video like it felt like on some other videocreator... and they have a whole website listing that stuff too

and GN didn't say that LMG can't make ANY mistake... because "we are all humans and we make mistakes too" or something similar to that was what they said...

but the LMG fan ARMY suddenly makes it out to nitpicking and GN can't be allowed to make ANY mistakes, because they pointed out that LMG makes too many and also grave mistakes... That is just lame and off the rails...

Yea, they usually catch it before posting it and make the edit before the first upload. +what you said.

1 hour ago, SomeRandomDude111 said:

Probably because negativity drives clicks; case in point, this entire situation. I mean, isn’t GN Steve’s entire shtick just shitting on bad products? I agree he should have retested, but the whole situation seems blown wayyyyyyy out of proportion lol. 

It started when LTT staff undermined GN and HU on camera, claiming how they do better testing because they're using only new units of products.

1 hour ago, Kitsunelaine said:

I just want to say, isn't it weird that the 24/7 Tech Tips stream is still up? That literally only exists so that LTT is permanently pushed to the top of the subscriber feed on the left panel on your Youtube home page. Surely halting all of their stuff would mean halting that, too?

Well, how are you going to stop the feed now?

7 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Indeed, Linus knows some of his following is very toxic, he addresses this yet doesn't seem to tell them to stop, as Linus knows the toxic following will defend him no matter what when some controversy happens.

No, he doesn't ask them to stop because they wouldn't. It's the internet, dude. Toxic people will do toxic things and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Besides blocking them.

The fanclubbing is very immature and I expect its mostly the younger audience, given the amount of new accounts coming in to come up with reasons to blame GN.

Has nothing to do with age, rage and toxic behavior is gender- and age-neutral. You can be an asshole at every age.

I usually like being on the forums because people are having other discussions, and I assume a lot of the people here posting regularly don't care about the LTT content.

Being on the LTT-forum and assuming people don't care about the LTT content is...irrational. At best.

13 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

The people still attacking LTT/LMG/Linus, are mostly people that signed-up here in the last few days, because they are drama-seeking trolls. When this drama has cooled, they'll probably never post here again, they'll move on to forums and social media accounts of the next online debacle; Their free time is all centered around internet drama.

Not everyone can be a long time member troll like your self. That has made what, 100 posts about "GN should have contacted Linus in person first reeeeeeeeeeee!" and nothing else.

And LMG put a link to their forum and told ppl to discuss it here in their video.

1 hour ago, TechDeckCAD said:

I'm not missing your point at all, in fact, the last sentence you wrote makes this even more confusing. If you acknowledge that it's not a rule, nor imperative to fair and accurate reporting, then by extension, it cannot be emblematic of biased reporting. Otherwise, by your logic, any journalist that chooses not to speak to an accused entity is inherently biased, which is ridiculous. My point is that unless this is a hardline rule that every journalist has to follow, I'm not going to castigate a journalist for not talking to the accused, as long as they explain their methodology and provide transparency into their decision-making, which Steve has rightfully done in both of his videos.

I really have to ask, what did GN do that makes you think it's biased reporting? The information (that includes LMG's own employees on the record in their own video!) he acquired showed that LMG/LTT had the propensity to make erroneous claims, oftentimes using heavily erroneous testing methodologies that goes against what their engineers have claimed. And their errors affecting conduct with Pwnage and Billet Labs such that it led to misconceptions about how their product performs. Like is Steve just never supposed to bring this up ever? You've also lost sight about LMG/LTT lying about having spoken to Billet about making them whole prior to GN's first video. We factually know that this wasn't the case, and yet, you're dying on the hill of wanting GN to talk to LMG/LTT.

Using the fact that journalists speak to the accused/alleged, also ignores the fact that the majority of them either get a "we decline to comment" or flat out ignored by the entity altogether (I recall reading a resource from a reporter who said that they report this usually when they send an email blast and don't hear back an hour or so, so then you have to ask yourself "is this really emblematic of fair reporting? If you ask me, this is far worse than if you never addressed them at all"). This adds nothing new to supposed fairness.

This opens up GN to outside attacks, any other channel can contact Steve's employees for comments all the time now. Lesssgooooo

11 minutes ago, Godiwa said:

Yeah, GN cannot make any mistakes going forward, that is the other end of the stick. Thats how the world works. 

13 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

The people still attacking LTT/LMG/Linus, are mostly people that signed-up here in the last few days, because they are drama-seeking trolls. When this drama has cooled, they'll probably never post here again, they'll move on to forums and social media accounts of the next online debacle; Their free time is all centered around internet drama.

And what does that have to do with anything? I've been watching LTT for a few years now but never felt the need to join the forum, until there was a topic big enough to voice my opinion on it. There are millions of viewers of LTT who don't care about the forum very much but they are still entitled to having an opinion on the allegations against a creator they follow. What's wrong about that exactly?

2 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Yeah, GN cannot make any mistakes going forward, that is the other end of the stick. Thats how the world works. 

Steve specifically stated multiple times that mistakes happen to everybody - including LTT and GN - but the whole situation was about the handling of those mistakes by LTT and overall attitude of LMG people.

Steve also said GN has reached out to LTT multiple times about their mistakes, with little feedback. But it didn't prevent LTT's people to claim their Labs do a better job than GN or HU for some reason. So of course Steve went ballistic, given his knowledge of many fckups by LTT.

The problem was never that LMG people make errors - it's the ego with which they treat them, especially Linus who is the face of it all.

In fact, the real backlash started not after GN's video but after Linus' ignorant response on the forum, which compounded public outrage. He should have just owned up to the mistakes at that point and people would have let it go.

I've been subscribed to GN and to LTT for many many years and I was surprised to see the original video pop up on GN. I mean, I knew GN has gone after some big brands in the past but this was not just a brand, this was a competing Youtube channel and "conflict of interest" immediately sprung to mind.

I watched the video with all my attention and while I agreed with what was said, I didn't agree with the severity they treated each "problem". For example taking down the video because a single benchmark of a single test that is only on-screen for all of 1 second that doesn't really impact the overall view of the product is just silly. I know GN are patron saints of numbers but that's not being realistic. A footnote in the video is more than enough to rectify this.

BUT. I've noticed a pattern with GN and have so for quite some time and I'm surprised so few people have caught on. GN have become more and more vicious when tackling a problem to the point where they often turn them into witch hunts. For all their posturing, it feels disingenuous to me how they act as if the LTT video would be bad for them, how they didn't want to do it, how they would turn off monetization, etc. but in reality their subscriber count is up 200.000 and that of LTT is down 200.000.

Steve and GN in general have been milking each case to the bone in the past - the riser card issue, the PSU issue, the ASUS BIOS issue, etc. and often they'd wilfully misinterpret what was going on to drum up the drama. The ASUS BIOS issue where AMD CPUs received too high a voltage was a good example Steve acted as if the BIOS disclaimer (that installing the update would void the warranty) was added specifically to shirk responsibility which was utter nonsense. It was a standard disclaimer that was added to ALL BIOS updates and had been for many many many years. Linus pointed this out on the WAN show.

There's more examples of this like them stripping paint off the riser card AND PC case to force an issue they claimed would happen because of bad riser card design. Since they couldn't reproduce it in normal circumstances, they started to force the issue and then used the footage of sparks and flames in half of their videos going forward in a very disingenuous way.

The problem isn't with GN being right or wrong, it's with how they tackle the issue and how they handle it. They're now doing exactly the same with LMG as they did with ASUS and others before them: they misrepresent facts by exaggerating them and then when the companies respond, they also twist what was said to make more content. For example, they implied that the cooling block was sold for profit, making big deal out of that and when Linus said "Actually it was auctioned off for charity, we didn't make any money off of it" they called it "JUSTIFYING". No Steve, I know you're better with numbers than people but this wasn't justifying. It's called correcting you for implying something worse.

While LMG does need to dial down the amount of videos & focus on quality and accuracy, GN should also stop acting as if they're some charity and as if they do all this out of the goodness of their heart. If it was, why go out of your way to portray a situation in their worst light?

1 minute ago, mikaelus said:

And what does that have to do with anything? I've been watching LTT for a few years now but never felt the need to join the forum, until there was a topic big enough to voice my opinion on it. There are millions of viewers of LTT who don't care about the forum very much but they are still entitled to having an opinion on the allegations against a creator they follow. What's wrong about that exactly?

Well, we have pushed this forum way higher in the Google Search Index in the last few days. Good for LTT/LMG I guess. 

I know a few vector search databases, sentiment analysis model, LLM model companies will pay good money for a copy of the anonymized conversation database of such forums. Great

6 hours ago, Goriss said:

Normal in business? Have you even watched that video? It's ILLEGAL in the USA and in Europe and actually in most of Canada. So how is that normal? LOL it's not normal at all.

It is definitely not illegal in Europe. It might not be legally binding, but it is not illegal to put the term in the contract. Or the employee-handbook. That's just nonsense.

Just now, mikaelus said:

Steve specifically stated multiple times that mistakes happen to everybody - including LTT and GN - but the whole situation was about the handling of those mistakes by LTT and overall attitude of LMG people.

Steve also said GN has reached out to LTT multiple times about their mistakes, with little feedback. But it didn't prevent LTT's people to claim their Labs do a better job than GN or HU for some reason. So of course Steve went ballistic, given his knowledge of many fckups by LTT.

The problem was never that LMG people make errors - it's the ego with which they treat them, especially Linus who is the face of it all.

Well, Steve mentioning anything does not matter. Other end of the stick is like that. You can shield yourself with words much of the time. Just because he said he cannot be attacked, doesnt make it true

13 hours ago, hmfaysal said:

Ah, so billet labs shot for the moon? Did they try to send their stuff to smaller review channels that do thorough research? ie GN? If no, why not?

Because LMG stole their prototype. Can't send something that is stolen.

1 minute ago, hmfaysal said:

Well, Steve mentioning anything does not matter. Other end of the stick is like that. You can shield yourself with words much of the time. Just because he said he cannot be attacked, doesnt make it true

Perhaps not to the people worshipping Linus. To everybody else it actually does.

Just now, SuperGnu said:

Because LMG stole their prototype. Can't send something that is stolen.

Are they poor or something? Couldn't make another prototype?

13 hours ago, hmfaysal said:

Ah, so billet labs shot for the moon? Did they try to send their stuff to smaller review channels that do thorough research? ie GN? If no, why not?

Why do you speak about things you clearly were too lazy to read? Small wonder you're here shilling for Linus who does the exact same thing. Billet Labs specifically requested the prototype to be returned so they can send it to other channels.

Do yourself a favour and do what Linus did - shut up and reflect.

Just now, mikaelus said:

Perhaps not to the people worshipping Linus. To everybody else it actually does.

Yeah, 200k subs, thats all Steve gained from it. Well viewed minutes will die down in a week. Lessgooo Steve I guess

1 minute ago, hmfaysal said:

Are they poor or something? Couldn't make another prototype?

Holy fck, did you just say this? Seriously? Do you know ANYTHING about this case?