Typos in the address box may cause millions of US Military emails to be leaked

WolframaticAlpha

Summary

Members of the US military often mistype the .mil domain to .ml in their email address boxes. As a result, millions of these emails have gone to websites based in mali(.ml). Jonathan Zuurbier, a dutch internet entrepreneur identified the issue years ago and notified the military. However, the military responded only in January of this year. As the control of these domains reverts from Zuurbier to Mali( a noted russian ally), millions of millions of military emails might be exposed to the world.

Quotes

Despite repeated warnings over a decade, a steady flow of email traffic continues to the .ML domain, the country identifier for Mali, as a result of people mistyping .MIL, the suffix to all US military email addresses.

Much of the email flow is spam, and none is marked as classified. But some messages contain highly sensitive data on serving US military personnel, contractors, and their families.

Their contents include X-rays and medical data, identity document information, crew lists for ships, staff lists at bases, maps of installations, photos of bases, naval inspection reports, contracts, criminal complaints against personnel, internal investigations into bullying, official travel itineraries, bookings, and tax and financial records.

“The Department of Defense (DoD) is aware of this issue and takes all unauthorized disclosures of Controlled National Security Information or Controlled Unclassified Information seriously,” Tim Gorman, a spokesperson for the Office of the Secretary of Defense

Control of the .ML domain will revert on Monday from Zuurbier to Mali’s government, which is closely allied with Russia. When Zuurbier’s 10-year management contract expires, Malian authorities will be able to gather the misdirected emails.

My thoughts

This is just hilarious to me, and it is an example of how tech illiteracy and typos can put people at risk.

Also inb4 the next watergate is caused because politicians set up a spoofed whitehouse.gv to capture emails /s

Spoiler

also, if a .milf top level domain existed, then I am pretty sure, that some adult website's web admins would've been confused why they were getting confidential military secrets

Sources
https://www.ft.com/content/ab62af67-ed2a-42d0-87eb-c762ac163cf0 -> Article from FT, highly recommended, goes into great detail

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/07/typo-leaks-millions-of-us-military-emails-to-mali-web-operator/

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/17/23797379/mali-ml-typo-us-military-emails-leak

I laughed my ass off when I first heard about this too. It’s not that hard to block these too.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Obviously the US military is strapped for cash and needs more money to afford a decent cybersecurity team and training program.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 7/20/2023 at 6:06 AM, TrigrH said:

Maybe the US big brained this and all the emails sent were fake intel? 

But someone sent the plan about planting fake intel to Supersecretfalseintelplan@cia.ml instead of cia.mil

Saw an article on this a bit ago, from what i recall the mistype was in an automatic distributing system that was forwarding various widely circulated e-mails to people but had .ml instead of .mil. Also all the highly classified info moves through an independent network so a mistype like this won't actually result in it leaving the network.

The incompetence within the public administration of any government in the world never cease to amaze me.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm not sure how millions of email went to the wrong place.

Unless I'm mistaken because I never hosted my own private email domain... Just because you're sending emails to one domain, doesn't mean they receive them, no?

As in, if I send an email to WolframaticAlpha@US.ml instead of WolframaticAlpha@US.mil, there would need to be someone with that name registered on that domain to receive the email in the first place. Otherwise it'd just bounce and you'd get an email back saying it wasn't delivered isn't it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I'm not sure how millions of email went to the wrong place.

Unless I'm mistaken because I never hosted my own private email domain... Just because you're sending emails to one domain, doesn't mean they receive them, no?

As in, if I send an email to WolframaticAlpha@US.ml instead of WolframaticAlpha@US.mil, there would need to be someone with that name registered on that domain to receive the email in the first place. Otherwise it'd just bounce and you'd get an email back saying it wasn't delivered isn't it?

As i said my understanding is it was an automatic forwarding system that had the typo so if someone wasn't checking the error logs or the logging system was obtuse and hard to understand i could see it slipping under the radar. I also assume when you send an e-mail to an address that doesn't exist in another domain it's the other domain that spits back the error. I assume that means theres nothing stopping the Mali government setting things up such that the domain takes, (and acknowledges as valid), and stores any e-mails that don't have a proper receiving address.

On 7/23/2023 at 2:13 AM, TetraSky said:

The e-mail address does not link to the inbox directly, but to the domain. Any e-mail which is send to the same domain (e. g. @us.ml) will arrive there. Then it's up to the server to decide what to do with the e-mail. Generally the mail is put into the inbox of the account matching the e-mail prefix, but literally anything can be done with it. The server has the mail and it's contents no matter what.