Twitter Introduces Rate Limits for Users

Spectrox_

yongyea showing some of the stupidity. like you cant even see message from elon about it either but in some ways you can. which is comical

and it seems like he changed a little again about the read/interaction rate. so much for the speech elon musk talked about at least no more of certain presidents. 😛

Edited by Quackers101

That certainly is one way to make people less addicted to social media

55 minutes ago, Silentknyght said:

Seems like it's intentionally trying to limit AI scraping.  Like the same problem Reddit is self-imploding to solve.

they already did that with their super expensive API that caused every useful bot to die. 

Its more likely that elon "forgot" to pay his google server bill.
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/video/twitter-refuses-pay-google-cloud-bill-report-100008260 

3 hours ago, Silentknyght said:

Seems like it's intentionally trying to limit AI scraping.  Like the same problem Reddit is self-imploding to solve.

I gotta give it to Elon. You can't scrape twitter once it's obliterated!

I'm not sure he can get every user to give him ten bucks a year to service Twitter debt, but I'm sure the CEO thoughfully laid out a plan to profitability. Not.

8 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

This is pathetic. User base size going to jump off a cliff. Wtf is Elon smoking

Elon Musk smokes marijuana live on web show - BBC News

I wonder if Elon actually bought twitter to destroy it so people would use FOSS alternatives because there are so many people migrating to them.

2 hours ago, Total Epicnessᴭᴺ said:

I wonder if Elon actually bought twitter to destroy it so people would use FOSS alternatives because there are so many people migrating to them.

Twitter has real world power. The issue is that once he got to actually see inside, he was legally committed. The place wasn't worth more than about 10 billion USD, maybe.  It was being life lined on super cheap debt.

Haha. Also imagine being emotional about top sites imploding.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Haha. Also imagine being emotional about top sites imploding.

I don't think anyone cared about AOL imploding.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Aol and Yahoo died slowly with users losing interest over time.

Twitter might actually just vanish if they keep their current trajectory. They most likely don't have the cash for any "drought" period and they are just operating from day to day with their limited resources. Musk himself said in March that Twitter is four month away from running out of money.

Guess they are tight on money so this is their method to chop down on hosting costs.... 😄

10 hours ago, Total Epicnessᴭᴺ said:

Just how many are migrating you think?

I doubt it's meaningful 

6 hours ago, Kisai said:

Or MySpace...

The Internet is such a fickle place.

This is a limited throttling to escape the bots that scrape, and increase server capacity. It seems it was at the level of a DDOS attack, and that is the reason they had to do that. I'm on the 'free' plan, never reached the limit of messages. 

8 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Also imagine being emotional about top sites imploding.

as for the art community, they have a lot of jobs and community on a platform like that. losing some of customer flow, as something like deviantart is a bit niche.
I guess FB could do something to push for such markets.

20 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

This is a limited throttling to escape the bots that scrape, and increase server capacity.

I'm on the 'free' plan, never reached the limit of messages. 

"escape the bots he said he was going to deal with", also he increased the plan a lot, like 1k or so for all interactions/viewed items on twitter.

Man, twitter was the thing I was going to after Reddit shut down Apollo. Guess I’m just going to have to use this instead lol. 

Don't worry guys this is yet another 15D chess move that will ultimately make the site better, daddy Elon is always right

22 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Didn't know that Twitter under Elon was going to become a hardcore wellness app to keep hardcore Twitter users off from doomscrolling.

I would be surprised if they don't roll this back. If Twitter goes down because of this, it would be truly hilarious.

Also, the zuck and co. have probably smelled blood in the water and the purported Instagram clone of Twitter will be fast tracked.

I don't think they have a choice right now, the infrastructure is falling apart after almost a year of mishandling and understaffing and as a result the site is crumbling under the volume of requests

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

41 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

This is a limited throttling to escape the bots that scrape, and increase server capacity. It seems it was at the level of a DDOS attack, and that is the reason they had to do that. I'm on the 'free' plan, never reached the limit of messages. 

Twitter has been intensively scraped since the day it was born, it has never been a problem until musk fired half the staff.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

47 minutes ago, Sauron said:

it has never been a problem until musk fired half the staff.

And lost the company a bunch of money.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Twitter has been intensively scraped since the day it was born, it has never been a problem until musk fired half the staff.

and now he wants this to stop. Either pay the $ for the APIs, or don't scrape.