I’m actually getting MAD now. – RTX 4060 Review

James

I saw this coming,

Based on how NVIDIA handled recent releases.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

They seem to be getting these 40 series releases worse and worse as time goes on. I wonder how the 50 and 50 Tis of the 40s (or hopefully, lower tier cards) will be released. As of now, I do not think it would be anywhere near appealing, but I do hope it will. 

I hate how companies are treating their customers now. I hope this ends soon. Buy used and stop these companies!

14 minutes ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

They seem to be getting these 40 series releases worse and worse as time goes on. I wonder how the 50 and 50 Tis of the 40s (or hopefully, lower tier cards) will be released. As of now, I do not think it would be anywhere near appealing, but I do hope it will. 

I hate how companies are treating their customers now. I hope this ends soon. Buy used and stop these companies!

it wont end like that.

nvidia shifted dev of gpu and such to server/hpc markets. which makes them tons.

we get those failed dies  for gaming gpus.

seeing they merge manf lines.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

13 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

it wont end like that.

nvidia shifted dev of gpu and such to server/hpc markets. which makes them tons.

we get those failed dies  for gaming gpus.

seeing they merge manf lines.

People, including me, hated the 20 series, turns out it was the last of it's kind, a cheap platform. Looking back I realise how good it was compared to what Nvidia is doing now...

1 hour ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

People, including me, hated the 20 series, turns out it was the last of it's kind, a cheap platform. Looking back I realise how good it was compared to what Nvidia is doing now...

Those of us that got 1080 TIs have had years of laughs. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I don't think home PCs are "mainstream" these days when enterprises buy tens of thousands in one go.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Next time, just leave Linus out of the video. It was grossly disorientating between great studio quality to poorly angled webcam footage. It's like he didn't even try to make it look professional. I understand he was away, but what's wrong with filming it with his phone at a decent angle?

He eventually gives up looking at the camera

image.thumb.png.c87567988ee428e5a6e7b00f0bfe87e6.png

39 minutes ago, BasicWombat said:

Next time, just leave Linus out of the video. It was grossly disorientating between great studio quality to poorly angled webcam footage. It's like he didn't even try to make it look professional. I understand he was away, but what's wrong with filming it with his phone at a decent angle?

image.thumb.png.c87567988ee428e5a6e7b00f0bfe87e6.png

Dude is at an airport reading the script on the screen. 

And honestly, the production value there matches the respect nvidia gave us with the 40 series. 

@James wrong chart title.

Title references the RX7600 while the data is normalized to RTX4060.

image.thumb.png.617f97b88ece8eab6e04dd3cce5dc215.png

People never go out of business.

13 hours ago, James said:

As Nvidia fills out its 40 series product stack, we’ve noticed one clear trend. DLSS and Frame-Gen are IN, and decent value, is out. This was apparent on the RTX 4060 Ti, and the RTX 4070. But does the song remain the same on the $299 RTX 4060? And will it be able to compete with AMD’s budget offerings of the RX 7600 and RX 6700XT? Will Intel Arc GPUs show up finally? Got to watch our latest LTT Labs-backed GPU review.

RTX 4070 should be $100+ cheaper for sure, and RTX 4060 should be at least $50 cheaper.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Rtx3000 , everything sold out instantly

Rtx4000 , no one buys at all

Nvidia concludes gamers market isnt profitable anymore 

5 hours ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

sad but true.

amd some how has manage to make both their gamng gpu and server/hpc make a profit.

also eat less power to. seeing that was the reason why power draws on 3k and 4 series where so much. failed hpc dies.

it also did not help that nvidia failed mcm cost them a ton of money. compare to amd version.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

Dude is at an airport reading the script on the screen. 

And honestly, the production value there matches the respect nvidia gave us with the 40 series. 

Are they so hard pressed for people and content that he HAD to do this though?
They already had two others in the video, so it wasn't without presenters. Could have pulled in Emily instead.

Wow! Crazy sauce!  Really makes the used market look good until you realize if you want to play on ultra you will need to find something with 12 or more GBs of VRAM. I think I will buy myself another rubix cube until this shit gets sorted out. Hang in there ol GTX 1080. 

1 minute ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Hang in there ol GTX 1080. 

Feeling the same way about my 2070 Super. Honestly, might be another generation or two before I decide to finally give in. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Now I don't feel so bad about the used 3060ti FE I bought. Thanks, Nvidia!

8 hours ago, BasicWombat said:

So he gave the video an appropriate amount of effort? 🤔

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I hate mobile GPUs masquerading as desktop parts

Jam on through to the other side

1 hour ago, bhop_monster_jam said:

I hate mobile GPUs masquerading as desktop parts

Can we not be dramatic?

Is the card overpriced given it's relative position and competitors? Yes.

Is this a bad GPU? No. 

I feel like we've lost the plot.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

1 hour ago, Skipple said:

Can we not be dramatic?

Is the card overpriced given it's relative position and competitors? Yes.

Is this a bad GPU? No. 

I feel like we've lost the plot.

you have a low threshold if that was dramatic to you

Jam on through to the other side

11 hours ago, 37748585862723896 said:

Rtx3000 , everything sold out instantly

Rtx4000 , no one buys at all

Nvidia concludes gamers market isnt profitable anymore 

Meh... I didn't buy one of the 3060 series cards, either, because they weren't a meaningful improvement over my existing 2060 Super.

It seems like history repeats itself for the 4060 line. I guess that I wait for a "4060 Super" or a 50X0 series card now, where I might finally get the 50+% 1440p performance improvement that I'm looking for?

1 hour ago, bhop_monster_jam said:

you have a low threshold if that was dramatic to you

My point is that if you think the 4060 is a bad GPU, you are fundamentally missing the point. There is strong a market for entry level GPUs, as there should be. Hell, take a look at the latest steam survey and gander at the most popular GPUs at the present.

This particular product is one that's needed, and the GPU fits into the rest of the product stack just fine. It just isn't priced appropriately. Labeling the 4060 as a "mobile GPU" displays a superficial understanding of the issue.

ask me about my homelab

47 minutes ago, Skipple said:

My point is that if you think the 4060 is a bad GPU, you are fundamentally missing the point. There is strong a market for entry level GPUs, as there should be. Hell, take a look at the latest steam survey and gander at the most popular GPUs at the present.

The 3060 and 2060 are actually half decent compared to their 'entry level' predecessors. The 4060 is a 4050 ti class card at best. It's so pathetic, the 2060 and 3060 look like amazing generational leaps by comparison.

On 6/28/2023 at 7:22 PM, MSharpeWriter said:

I think I'm approaching Apathy.. and I'm stuck on Team Green for my "work." I really can't continue Ray Tracing with iRay using a 1060 and a 5800X.. 

So planning to go second hand 3080..

Be sure to assess your memory needs ahead of time. You may want to consider a 3090 with 24 GB of VRAM if you're into rendering and productivity.

It's a crying shame this generation is a dud if you're into productivity, but it seems Nvidia is worried competent productivity cards will eat into their enterprise (i.e. AI) market.

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The 3060 and 2060 are actually half decent compared to their 'entry level' predecessors. The 4060 is a 4050 ti class card at best. It's so pathetic, the 2060 and 3060 look like amazing generational leaps by comparison.

The 3060 already outperforms the 4060 in some cases due to a superior bus and amount of VRAM. This could get even worse over time.

2 minutes ago, XNOR said:

Be sure to assess your memory needs ahead of time. You may want to consider a 3090 with 24 GB of VRAM if you're into rendering and productivity.

It's a crying shame this generation is a dud if you're into productivity, but it seems Nvidia is worried competent productivity cards will eat into their enterprise (i.e. AI) market.

I've been working with 6GB of VRAM since 2016, which is right on the edge of being supported with the assets I have.. (I've learned some tricks to make it work with 6GB VRAM, but I'm more or less using them on a regular basis.)

I'd love to grab the 3090, but it's currently outside the budget. I've found 3080 TIs at £450, which I expect the 4060 TI 16GB to be at.. But what ever I do I'm going to stop and save, and wait for the review for the cards.

I'd consider Team Red or Blue, if the software I used wasn't locked to Team Green.