[UPDATE] Official : FreeSync Launched, Dubbed Adaptive-Sync.

No you are talking about V-Sync. V-Sync forces the GPU to output only the amount of frames that is in sync with the monitor. G and Freesync are actual additions to the monitor that allow them both to dynamically change refresh rates.

Ah, yes, both the monitor and gpu can change. That makes so much of a difference when monitors are pretty much locked to 60 FPS max and GPU's can output up to thousands per second. No matter what the monitor will be the slower of the two so the monitor will be the one in control.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

AMD is like an all wheel drive car. Whichever wheel has the most traction they will make use of.

Which doesn't matter because the monitor will always be slower than the gpu.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Which doesn't matter because the monitor will always be slower than the gpu.

That's just not true. There are many monitors which support upwards of 140 refreshes a second.

When was the last time when you actually saw a GPU outputting more than 140 frames a second ?

Most people usually tweak the game settings depending on their of course setup for somewhere between 50-60 FPS.

Also most games these days just become CPU bound before hitting 100 FPS.

As long as it works, cool. As for me, I'll just stick to Nvidia, since I kinda prefer them over AMD.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it VESA that developed it, not AMD?

Anyway this is great. Hopefully monitors with it won't cost that much more than other monitors.

Now we just need a royalty free standards for something similar to LightBoost.

I remember how Linus criticized AMD for FreeSync when it was first announced and only citing Nvidia's response which was a bullcrap "we're the only company that has a scalar that can do this" which as we know was a complete lie.

Dynamic refresh rate has existed since 2009 in embedded display port as a firmware feature. A scalar was never needed as is evident today with this announcement.

You need to do a bit more research buddy.

You still need new scalars with support for this. It won't work on your existing monitor. eDP don't need scalars but desktop monitors do.

Please stop sucking AMD's **** for a minute and do some research. Okay? I don't even remember Linus criticizing it. Not praising something, and criticizing something, are two completely different things.

Ah, yes, both the monitor and gpu can change. That makes so much of a difference when monitors are pretty much locked to 60 FPS max and GPU's can output up to thousands per second. No matter what the monitor will be the slower of the two so the monitor will be the one in control.

I am explaining to you how the technology works not whether or not it is practical. In the past we have only seen it on 144hz monitors and it DOES make sense on there since when the framerate dips below 144 it becomes quite noticeable. And if anything this will be a great help to low end GPUs that cannot output consistently above 60fps or it might give the user freedom to crank up settings they would not touch otherwise.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

That's just not true. There are many monitors which support upwards of 140 refreshes a second.

When was the last time when you actually saw a GPU outputting more than 140 frames a second ?

Most people usually tweak the game settings depending on their of course setup for somewhere between 50-60 FPS.

Also most games these days just become CPU bound before hitting 100 FPS.

I saw my gpu outputting just under 160 fps while playing GTA IV last night. And many monitors support above 140 fps? Did all of these monitors suddenly poof into existance over the past 3 months, because as of March I was only able to find a small selection of them and they wanted about $100 more for them. Most monitors are still locked at 60 FPS

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

CPU
               WD Green 2TB

hell YES!!!! you'll still need to buy a new monitor tho, but atleast it can be any monitor with a DP 1.2a input :D

Wait what? so if I buy a DP 1.2a monitor now.. that costs nothing in my location, games won't tear, no stutter etc with Adaptive Sync? aka. FREE-SYNC? aka. "Like GSYNC" ?????????????????????????????????????

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it VESA that developed it, not AMD?

Anyway this is great. Hopefully monitors with it won't cost that much more than other monitors.

Now we just need a royalty free standards for something similar to LightBoost.

You need to do a bit more research buddy.

You still need new scalars with support for this. It won't work on your existing monitor. eDP don't need scalars but desktop monitors do.

Please stop sucking AMD's **** for a minute and do some research. Okay? I don't even remember Linus criticizing it. Not praising something, and criticizing something, are two completely different things.

Does it require a driver to support this thing?

Anyways that guy teraflop doesnt do anything else than bumming AMD.

I saw my gpu outputting just under 160 fps while playing GTA IV last night. And many monitors support above 140 fps? Did all of these monitors suddenly poof into existance over the past 3 months, because as of March I was only able to find a small selection of them and they wanted about $100 more for them. Most monitors are still locked at 60 FPS

Well yeah 120hz monitors have been around for years. Where have you been?

That name though....anyway, im guessing its GCN only like mantle? (or whatever its called)

Or is there no catch?

Nope. It is a VESA industry standard. Variable refresh rate tech for everyone :D

(I am pretty excited for it)

Am i the only one seing this in Oculus Rift? While tearing on 2D monitor is annoying it will be times worse on VR goggles. This "free" standard is just another help to get us into real game. Who knew AMD will push so far so fast and so widespread. Thumbs up.

P.s. am still buying that GTX 880 when it's out

Any word on how nice it plays with strobing backlights (LightBoost)?

Well yeah 120hz monitors have been around for years. Where have you been?

Not actively looking for new monitors because in Nvidia's infinite wisdom they decided the GTX 580 can only run up to 2 monitors, meanwhile even intel's iGPUs have tri-monitor support.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

CPU
               WD Green 2TB

Wait what? so if I buy a DP 1.2a monitor now.. that costs nothing in my location, games won't tear, no stutter etc with Adaptive Sync? aka. FREE-SYNC? aka. "Like GSYNC" ?????????????????????????????????????

yes, but im not sure if the firmware update will be released, but it will work on the DP 1.2a standard 

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Does it require a driver to support this thing?

Yes, but that shouldn't be too hard. AMD has already demoed a driver that supports its on a laptop.

Nope. It is a VESA industry standard. Variable refresh rate tech for everyone :D

(I am pretty excited for it)

Well they could put any restrictions they want on it (since they are in charge of the driver) but I don't really see any reason to do it. Worst case scenario it will only be supported on DP 1.2A cards though.

Any word on how nice it plays with strobing backlights (LightBoost)?

The G-Sync module includes LightBoost so I don't see any reason why Adaptive-Sync wouldn't be able to support it.

Q: What AMD Radeon™ GPUs are compatible with Project FreeSync?

A: The first discrete GPUs compatible with Project FreeSync are the AMD Radeon™ R9 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and R7 260 graphics cards. Project FreeSync is also compatible with AMD APUs codenamed “Kabini,” “Temash,” “Beema,” and “Mullins.” All compatible products must be connected via DisplayPort™ to a display that supports DisplayPort™ Adaptive-Sync.

no GCN 1.0

desk-flip-240x180.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Unless it gets adopted into TV's, in which case much much sooner..

No the Ps4/XboxOne don't have Display Port and without it you can't do it.

Also it's not free and you still need to buy a new monitor that supports it.

And you will 100% pay now an uprice for monitors with support because it will cost them more.

Also it's not the same as G-Sync.

G-sync has also 3D vision built in.

RTX2070OC 

Do the consoles have a DisplayPort 1.2a output?

Heck, do they even have DisplayPort output?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

No the Ps4/XboxOne don't have Display Port and without it you can't do it.

Also it's not free and you still need to buy a new monitor that supports it.

And you will 100% pay now an uprice for monitors with support because it will cost them more.

Also it's not the same as G-Sync.

G-sync has also 3D vision built in.

Right now, no they don't. Doesn't mean that the next variant won't.

While you're right about requiring a monitor that supports it, you're wrong about it costing more. It's a free standard, it costs the manufacturers nothing to implement.

3D vision is a joke. 3D in general is largely abandoned in the TV space, it was a gimmick to try and push TV sales and it hasn't taken off.

Do the consoles have a DisplayPort 1.2a output?

Heck, do they even have DisplayPort output?

Is it impossible for them to in future editions? Nope, not at all. Extremely easy, in fact.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Is it impossible for them to in future editions? Nope, not at all. Extremely easy, in fact.

Yeah, but that still means that current owners of the consoles need to shell out another 500 bucks for the new version.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Yeah, but that still means that current owners of the consoles need to shell out another 500 bucks for the new version.

And they likely would be anyway, since they're slated to come out every 4ish years. People spend money on PC's all the time. It's really not much of a stretch to think people do the same for consoles.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The so called next-gen consoles use HDMI. You need displayport 1.3 (I think that is the right version) to get variable framerates. Even if TV's got it, it would do nothing to a console as they can only use HDMI which is a terrible standard. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard