[UPDATE] Official : FreeSync Launched, Dubbed Adaptive-Sync.

I can has free-sync?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z87 G43 RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked Case: Bitfenix Ronin

Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 series SSD, WD Green 2TB PSU: XFX core edition 650W Display(s): ASUS VE228H 21.5IN 1080P Cooling: CM Hyper 212+

Keyboard: Microsoft P.O.S Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 Sound: Sennheiser PC 330 Headset

The so called next-gen consoles use HDMI. You need displayport 1.3 (I think that is the right version) to get variable framerates. Even if TV's got it, it would do nothing to a console as they can only use HDMI which is a terrible standard. 

But...you do understand that this isn't released yet right?

So by the time it's out and actually adopted, the next console version will be that much closer (4-5 years from the current launch they're slated for replacement), so it's not unrealistic to say that it could be in them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

RIP Mantle and Gsync. Thank you for your efforts, you did not die in vain!

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Since when did a standered being free mean that it would be automatically start being used? and while nvidia has done some really stupid things in the past, spending 5 years and millions on rnd for something that's already obsolete is just insane.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

now just waiting for what Nvidia is going to do

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it VESA that developed it, not AMD?

AMD by way of ATI is one of the biggest names (other than NEC, and Western Digital) that contribute to the VESA standard. AMD has been the major push behind driver control for VBLANK intervals within VESA so as to compete directly with G-Sync. This is AMD's doing.  

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Just to re-iterate although people will get upset, Free-sync was developed as a technology for mobile devices (i.e. tablets) to have a better battery life, mainly by reducing the refresh rate in monitors when viewing certain content as a way to save battery life by reducing the amount of energy used by the display. And on that note, it was fairly effective on some of the laptops it's used with according to vesa and amd.

Just to re-iterate although people will get upset, Free-sync was developed as a technology for mobile devices (i.e. tablets) to have a better battery life, mainly by reducing the refresh rate in monitors when viewing certain content as a way to save battery life by reducing the amount of energy used by the display. And on that note, it was fairly effective on some of the laptops it's used with according to vesa and amd.

Well, that doesnt explain why since it's inception, even the very first Kabini APU's up to current GPU's supported and still support Freesync out of the box. AMD hasnt gotten around to making a driver to actually make use of it until now. Tablets and mobile devices may benefit with more battery life, but the intent was to make sweeping changes to all display device GPU combinations. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

AMD by way of ATI is one of the biggest names (other than NEC, and Western Digital) that contribute to the VESA standard. AMD has been the major push behind driver control for VBLANK intervals within VESA so as to compete directly with G-Sync. This is AMD's doing.  

Nvidia is also a member of the VESA forums.

AMD just took the adaptive-sync standard, wrote a driver, packaged it as "FreeSync" and then demoed it. AMD did play a role in bringing us adaptive-sync, but they were not the ones that invented it. That's what I am saying.

They proposed that the eDP standard should be ported to regular DP, they have talked to monitor manufacturers and they pushed for it, but I don't think it's fair to say that "FreeSync launched, dubbed adaptive-sync". Freesync is an implementation of adaptive-sync, not the other way around.

You got that the wrong way around: VBLANK was developed for laptops for battery saving. VBLANK is the tech behind g-sync and adaptive-sync (freesync). 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Right now, no they don't. Doesn't mean that the next variant won't.

While you're right about requiring a monitor that supports it, you're wrong about it costing more. It's a free standard, it costs the manufacturers nothing to implement.

3D vision is a joke. 3D in general is largely abandoned in the TV space, it was a gimmick to try and push TV sales and it hasn't taken off.

Is it impossible for them to in future editions? Nope, not at all. Extremely easy, in fact.

If they don't have display port now than they won't have it later.(They would also need to have different software to enable support)

The hole point of the console is that it doesn't change.

They would never make a different version that supports more features than the older version.

The standard may be free but not the tech inside.

The module to enable it is more complex than a normal one because it has to communicate with the GPU.

So they have to increase the price if they want to have the same profit.

RTX2070OC 

If they don't have display port now than they won't have it later.(They would also need to have different software to enable support)

The hole point of the console is that it doesn't change.

They would never make a different version that supports more features than the older version.

The standard may be free but not the tech inside.

The module to enable it is more complex than a normal one because it has to communicate with the GPU.

So they have to increase the price if they want to have the same profit.

That logic makes no sense. TV's don't have DisplayPort, so why would consoles? If TV's added a DP to gain access to Adaptive-Sync, then consoles easily could as well. It's simply a port.

Yes, you're right. It doesn't need to be upgraded. They change from revision to revision. They didn't always, for example, have HDMI now did they?

It costs more to have HDMI inside, which they actually have to pay a high licensing fee for, than DP. So I see the cost being minimal if anything at all.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Q: What are the requirements to use FreeSync?

A: To take advantage of the benefits of Project FreeSync, users will require: a monitor compatible with DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync, a compatible AMD Radeon GPU with a DisplayPort connection, and a compatible AMD Catalyst graphics driver. AMD plans to release a compatible graphics driver to coincide with the introduction of the first DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync monitors.

Will Nvidia GPU's be supported too? If they both do the same job, what's the point of me buying the more expensive GSync monitor...

No, it is not literally the same. With G-sync the monitor's refresh rate synchronizes with the GPU and with freesync the GPU's frame rate synchronizes with the monitor.

umm no. If the monitor is 60hz the gpu wouldn't constantly show 60fps, that's vsync

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

So if I were to sit at a pc using g sync, and then at a pc using freesync and play a game on both systems will there be a discernable difference?

Only compatible with r9 290\x and 260? That kind of sucks if you ask me. Hopefully their next gen cards will all support this. The extra $200 Nvidia is asking as a bit too much.

Only compatible with r9 290\x and 260? That kind of sucks if you ask me. Hopefully their next gen cards will all support this. The extra $200 Nvidia is asking as a bit too much.

As in anything HIGHER than a 260. 260X, 270, 270X, 280, 280X, 290, 290X... Then the other cards with that architecture, so most likely the 7000 series too...

EDIT: Huh. Missed some information. Guess it's just the 60's and 90's. :P

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

As in anything HIGHER than a 260. 260X, 270, 270X, 280, 280X, 290, 290X... Then the other cards with that architecture, so most likely the 7000 series too...

No, if you notice the pattern they only listed GCN 1.1 GPU except 7790.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The article says that the 290,290x, 260, and 260x are compatible. Probably because these cards are GCN 1.1 and the rest of the cards are just rebrands.

Totally different approaches from nvidia and AMD in terms of marketing this. Nvidia marketed it to consumers (us), whereas AMD pushed for industry adoption.

So if I were to sit at a pc using g sync, and then at a pc using freesync and play a game on both systems will there be a discernable difference?

The G-Sync monitor would include LightBoost which greatly reduce motion blur. It shouldn't really be any difference other than that.

That logic makes no sense. TV's don't have DisplayPort, so why would consoles? If TV's added a DP to gain access to Adaptive-Sync, then consoles easily could as well. It's simply a port.

Yes, you're right. It doesn't need to be upgraded. They change from revision to revision. They didn't always, for example, have HDMI now did they?

It costs more to have HDMI inside, which they actually have to pay a high licensing fee for, than DP. So I see the cost being minimal if anything at all.

You need a different graphics driver for Adpative-Sync and their is no way Sony or Microsoft would make a console with a different port and different driver set.

This would cause a huge backlash that would hurt the console sales immensely.

It also wouldn't benefit a console because 90% of the games run at locked 30FPS.

The game devs would have to take the Adaptive-sync into consideration while developing which they can't do if millions of players don't support it.

I think you don't get that it's more than just a display port that you have to put in the TV/Monitor.

The hole controller which the port is on has to be changed for variable refresh rate to work and that costs a lot of money.

RTX2070OC 

AMD seems to be getting a few wins in... quite impressed with there performance at the moment. Hope they keep it up.

But...you do understand that this isn't released yet right?

So by the time it's out and actually adopted, the next console version will be that much closer (4-5 years from the current launch they're slated for replacement), so it's not unrealistic to say that it could be in them.

And who says there will be a next-next gen console. And even if there was I doubt they will use display port. They will probably still use shitty HDMI as most peasant TV's use HDMI. MasterRaceDisplayPort.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard