NO MORE EVs

Jim Anderson
7 hours ago, cmndr said:

You're REALLY REALLY underestimating how complicated ICE drive trains are. There's a lot of moving parts. I don't mean this as a figure of speech. The figure of speech comes from discussions about steam/water/combustion engines. You're not using an electro-magnet to make some stuff spin. Not needing a transmission is nice. Not needing gears is nice. There's just tons of things you don't need because the speed/power that the engine spins at doesn't matter. 

You are just assuming the type of vehicle though.

Toyota's for example, or at least some of the older ones, the engines are used as classical engines and the EV portion of it essentially just disengages the engine.  For ones like that it is 100% as much general maintenance (well I guess excluding brakes) than a standard ICE.

One of the reasons why they still have the standard drive train (at the time) in it was because you lose efficiency generating electricity for powering electric motors.   Even if you concert all the torque from the engine you lose likely 5-10% converting it to DC then losing another 5-10% going to the EV motors.

Like some work like an ICE with front wheel drive and in the back is the EV drive portion.

7 hours ago, cmndr said:

HUGE chunks of the design end up being replaced by electronics. When was the last time you needed to replace a circuit board in a car? When was the last time you heard of an ebike failing? You pretty much need to swap the tires every so often and that's it. 

If the engine only drives 10% as many miles... that oil change is going to be once every few years, not every few months. 

The main components that need maintenance are still there.  There is just added complexity when it's a PHEV; unless you run it as a generator...but again then you lose efficiency.

Also, the oil change is going to be a "it depends"...they could very well still need it yearly (oil degrades, water penetration, etc)...I think a lot of them still recommend it yearly...also if you are driving it to the point of needing it every few months then a PHEV would still be doing that milage on engine which would put it back into needing it still every few months.

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I checked the dipstick this morning, both the level and color seem fine, and it didn't smell like it was burnt or full of gas.

Not all is about the color/level.  Sometimes you can get water intrusion into the oil overtime, or you can get it's viscosity changing and of course things like metal materials.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

On 5/22/2023 at 12:49 PM, Jim Anderson said:

Dear LTT. I can speak for the community when I say,  We are SICK and TIRED of the EV PROPAGANDA you post on short circuit .

'Propaganda' 

Bro's using a technique a century old 💀

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

18 hours ago, cmndr said:

Plug in hybrids exist.

The drive train still ends up simplified since all the tiny, weak gas engine needs to do is charge a battery instead of making wheels move at a very specific speed which can change dynamically based on driver input. MUCH easier to make a motor that just spins at one speed at one level of power without concerns about whether one wheel hit a rock or the car is turning.  

Also you can charge at other locations. 

By the time this all matters a ton, solid state batteries will almost surely be a thing and those appear to charge VERY quickly. Imagine a future where your 15 minute grocery shopping trip is paired with charging and getting an extra 15 miles of range. 

Most plug in hybrids have the same ICE drive train including all of it's complexity and then add the electric motor, battery and all the accompanying tech on top of that. Hybrids where the ICE only charges the battery are extremely rare. The only one i know of the top of my head is the BMW i3.

Still, plug-in hybrids are a great option for people who want to do their daily commute fully electric but still have the ICE as a backup for longer distances or fast refueling.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

OP -> Makes a forum post demanding a stop to EV content on ShortCircuit

Peoples in forum -> Turns the post into a discussion about EV

I don't know you guys in RL, but I love you guys, really. 😂

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

This must be some psyop to get us all to talk more about EVs. In that case, EV adoption is rather slow in my country 🇲🇾. That said, how much battery charge does an EV consume in general while stuck in a traffic jam? Being stuck in a traffic jam with a conventional pterol fuel car is a waste of fuel.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

30 minutes ago, emothxughts said:

This must be some psyop to get us all to talk more about EVs. In that case, EV adoption is rather slow in my country 🇲🇾. That said, how much battery charge does an EV consume in general while stuck in a traffic jam? Being stuck in a traffic jam with a conventional pterol fuel car is a waste of fuel.

Between not having to idle an engine, and regenerative braking, you should theoretically be using very little energy in heavy traffic. The bulk of the energy use here (slow traffic) is likely to go to AC or heat. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I personally would like to see more hybrids in the reviews.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

LTT should review more ICE cars on Short Circuit, I think the only one we've gotten so far was the Volvo S90. Like it or not many consumers aren't willing to take the plunge into the world of EVs just yet. 

On 5/22/2023 at 6:49 AM, Jim Anderson said:

Dear LTT. I can speak for the community when I say, 

I should point out that you probably don't.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Honestly I think that bikes are a better alternative to EVs and that EVs are being used for greenwashing sometimes but this post is just plain stupid

1 hour ago, rrats said:

Honestly I think that bikes are a better alternative to EVs and that EVs are being used for greenwashing sometimes but this post is just plain stupid

While that might be. Bikes dont work in all areas. If you want to feel safe you dont bike around where I live because people will run your ass over without a second thought. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

46 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

While that might be. Bikes dont work in all areas. If you want to feel safe you dont bike around where I live because people will run your ass over without a second thought. 

We were visiting Miami a couple weeks ago and driving around and seeing the token bike lanes they’ve put down - as a cyclist, no thanks, I don’t have a death wish. Some cities do cycling infrastructure right, some really don’t. 

4 hours ago, rrats said:

I'd absolutely love to bike as a practical alternative, however, between the winding roads with blind turns, high speeds (40-50 MPH), and non-existent bike lanes, you're taking your life into your hands if you try biking out here (and potentially others, if a speeding driver opts to swerve into the oncoming lane to slip by, which has almost resulted in a head-on collision with me on more than one occasion).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 5/22/2023 at 4:49 AM, Jim Anderson said:

Dear LTT. I can speak for the community when I say,  We are SICK and TIRED of the EV PROPAGANDA you post on short circuit .

As a member of the community, I would like to put forth a motion to remove you as foreman. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

As a member of the community, I would like to put forth a motion to remove you as foreman. 

I second the motion. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

-= Locked =-

Ok this has devolved more than it should have.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER