Apple brings Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro to iPadOS App Store via Subscription Fees | Most iPads unable to run Final Cut Pro

AlTech

Summary

Apple has announced that they are bringing Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro apps to the iPadOS App store and are charging subscription fees for each. But don't get too excited just yet, your iPad probably can't run either app (or at least not Final Cut Pro).

Apple says Final Cut Pro requires an M1 or M2 powered iPad Air or iPad Pro and that Logic Pro requires an A12 chip or newer.

This means that these devices can handle Final Cut Pro:

• iPad Pro 12.9" 5th generation or newer (M1 or newer)
  • iPad Pro 11" 4th generation or newer (M1 or newer)
  • iPad AIr 5th Generation (M1)

And these devices can handle Logic Pro:

• iPad 8th Generation or newer (A12)
  • iPad Mini 5th generation or newer (A12)
  • iPad Air 3rd generation or newer (A12)
  • iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd generation or newer (A12X)
  • iPad Pro 11" 1st generation or newer (A12X)

The subscription fee for each app is $5 per month or $50 per year EACH. If you want both it'll cost you $100 to $120 per year + Tax depending on billing options.

The apps are expected to produce projects that are somewhat or mostly compatible with the Mac equivalent apps.

Quotes

Apple announced today that it's bringing its flagship professional creative apps to the iPad for the first time. The Logic Pro audio-editing software and Final Cut Pro video-editing software are making the jump to the iPad with multi-touch-optimized interfaces and Apple Pencil support.

Both apps will be available on the App Store starting May 23 for either $5 per month or $50 per year. Each will also have a one-month free trial available.

Both apps have more stringent system requirements than the GarageBand and iMovie apps. Logic Pro will run on any iPad with at least an A12 Bionic chip, including the 8th-generation iPad, the 3rd-generation iPad Air, the 5th-generation iPad mini, and newer models. Final Cut Pro is more demanding and requires an iPad Pro or Air with an M1 or M2—presumably, it's the small amount of RAM included with older iPads that keeps them from running software that much slower Macs have managed to run for years.

My thoughts

I'm kinda surprised Apple had the courage to go for the Subscription price for both apps since many FCPX mac owners likely would not subscribe to FCPX if it was a subscription instead of a one off purchase. Personally I wouldn't mind Apple switching FCP and Logic Pro for Mac being subscriptions that cost the same amount as the iPadOS subscription price or a higher price that gives access to the iPadOS app and the macOS app.

Technically speaking I wonder if Apple will switch the macOS app to a Catalyst app for both FCP and Logic Pro and unify the codebases for both apps so that there's one Catalyst app distributed through both app stores rather than separate apps. It could save Apple a bunch of engineering time and effort (which is money) and would ensure both apps have the same features.

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/05/apple-brings-final-cut-pro-and-logic-pro-to-ipad-as-50-per-year-subscriptions/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The subscription model is somewhat unexpected, although I look at it this way: if you can afford an iPad Pro and need apps like Final Cut or Logic for your work, $49 per year is peanuts. You'll easily make that back if it helps you finish a video or song on location.

I also wonder if Apple isn't playing the long game and using this to flesh out touch-native versions of FCP and Logic before those rumored touchscreen Macs in 2025. If they're undercooked right now, Apple doesn't have to worry about alienating the Mac's creative pro customers.

Not surprised about the stringent requirements for FCP, considering that most iPads without the M-series chips have 4-6 GB of RAM. The M1/M2 models all have 8/16GB, so it makes sense that they can handle the video files with the effects and stuff more.

4 hours ago, mecarry30 said:

Not surprised about the stringent requirements for FCP, considering that most iPads without the M-series chips have 4-6 GB of RAM.

Actually a fair few supported iPads rn have 2GB or 3GB of RAM.

Most don't have even 4GB.

Kinda surprised that the 6GB A12Z iPad Pros are getting left behind tho.

4 hours ago, mecarry30 said:

The M1/M2 models all have 8/16GB, so it makes sense that they can handle the video files with the effects and stuff more.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

How's the Mac version licensed?

I've seen similar on other mobile software. The sub model is kinda needed on mobile platforms as you in effect keep getting updates as long as the software is maintained. There isn't a way to time limit updates or lock you to a particular old version, short of creating a new separate product offering in the store.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

27 minutes ago, porina said:

How's the Mac version licensed?

Perpetual license for FCPX (prior versions also has their own licenses). If FCP 11 comes out I think Apple would either charge users for that version or change to a subscription model.

27 minutes ago, porina said:

I've seen similar on other mobile software. The sub model is kinda needed on mobile platforms as you in effect keep getting updates as long as the software is maintained. There isn't a way to time limit updates or lock you to a particular old version, short of creating a new separate product offering in the store.

Yeah. That does seem to be the favoured method by the Mobile App Stores.

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If FCP 11 comes out I think Apple would either charge users for that version or change to a subscription model.

I'll bet money they'll see a sharp decline in the user base if they move to a sub model for the Mac software.  And Blackmagic will see another surge of new users, all on Macs this time.  I'm sure the BM guys are all rubbing their hands together, anxiously waiting for Apple to shoot themselves in both feet.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Just for a cost comparison, Final Cut Pro for Mac costs around $400 CAD (No idea what the US Store price is). Logic Pro is $250 CAD.

So, not totally unreasonable costs - but for that subscription, it should also include the Mac version.

IMO this is fine, especially as the Mac version still has a perpetual license option - if that changes, all bets are off.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, porina said:

There isn't a way to time limit updates or lock you to a particular old version, short of creating a new separate product offering in the store.

That wouldn't be hard to do though, so Apple could do it if they wanted to. 

I think it's super cool that they are finally bringing Final Cut Pro to the iPad, but I am not a big fan of the subscription model. 

Final Cut Pro for MacOS costs 300 USD, so at 50 dollars a year it is actually a really good price. People only start being charged more after 6 years of use. If you stop using it before those 6 years are up, you benefit from the subscription model.

I am not really surprised that it requires the M1. They had to do the cutoff somewhere and it seems like a fairly good place to draw the line. Besides, if you are actually planning on using Final Cut Pro, chances are you got the money to spend on a new iPad if you need to upgrade. The iPad Air which starts at 500 dollars (although with a pitiful 64GB of storage) has an M1.

On 5/10/2023 at 7:39 AM, Commodus said:

The subscription model is somewhat unexpected

How is it unexpected? Literally what everyone is doing or wants to do (while trying to figure out how to not piss off current customers). I would have been floored if it wasn't subscription based.

At least it's reasonable fee, both are superb quality applications. Adobe Creative Cloud.....

Welcome aboard the subscription bandwagon, eh...

More "software as a service, forever". Can't even have anything in perpetuity anymore.

I suppose the price is "affordable" and not completely ridiculous like some competing solutions from the likes of Adobe.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The iPad needs this software, however I already own a license to Logic and Final Cut Pro (I got the education bundle) and I rarely use them. I'm sure some people will get great use out of these apps, especially those using their iPads as alternatives to laptops. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Kinda surprised that the 6GB A12Z iPad Pros are getting left behind tho.

18 hours ago, mecarry30 said:

I expect this is down to some Metal features that they need and media engines.  The A12z has a very much cut down encode and decode but it could also just be that the SSDs in A12z iPads and older are much much slower so caching stuff on disk or using SWAP is not as good a UX. 

35 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The iPad needs this software, however I already own a license to Logic and Final Cut Pro

In the end the entire apps UI will have had to be re-writen for iPad in an app like this that will be well over 95% of the code so this is a major re-write, if they did a re-write that large on the Mac version your existing license would also not apply. It would be a big version update and you would need to pay to use the new version.  

4 minutes ago, hishnash said:

It would be a big version update and you would need to pay to use the new version.  

I'm not interested in the iPad apps specifically because I have the Mac versions. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 hours ago, jasonvp said:

I'll bet money they'll see a sharp decline in the user base if they move to a sub model for the Mac software.  And Blackmagic will see another surge of new users, all on Macs this time.  I'm sure the BM guys are all rubbing their hands together, anxiously waiting for Apple to shoot themselves in both feet.

If they charge $50/year like this iPad version (I expect it will infact be the same sub) then they will not see a large decline in users at all.  The current price of $300 for FCP is 6 years worth of subscription, for any pro level software if you buying an one of license that is for a given version of the software, and when the next big version comes around you will be expect to pay to upgrade and the old version will stop getting support for new hardware and operating system versions.  Paying $300 for a 6 years of updates is a very good price. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I'm not interested in the iPad apps specifically because I have the Mac versions. 

I expect sooner rather than later there will be a v11 of FCP on Mac that will move to this pricing model, sure you can continue to use your clines for v10 but your existing v10 license will not extend to v11 (this is normal). 

4 hours ago, hishnash said:

I expect this is down to some Metal features that they need and media engines.  The A12z has a very much cut down encode and decode but it could also just be that the SSDs in A12z iPads and older are much much slower so caching stuff on disk or using SWAP is not as good a UX. 

My guess is that they had to draw the line somewhere, and in terms of performance there is a pretty big gap between the A12z and M1 so it was a fitting place to draw it. 

I really doubt there is some technical reason for it. The A12z is most likely very capable of running Final Cut Pro, but "M1 and newer" is a cleaner segmentation than "A12z and newer".

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I really doubt there is some technical reason for it. The A12z is most likely very capable of running Final Cut Pro, but "M1 and newer" is a cleaner segmentation than "A12z and newer".

For sure they could get it to run but it might require a LOT of work and in the end the UX would not be good enough, as you said there is a big perf jump. 

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

How is it unexpected? Literally what everyone is doing or wants to do (while trying to figure out how to not piss off current customers). I would have been floored if it wasn't subscription based.

At least it's reasonable fee, both are superb quality applications. Adobe Creative Cloud.....

Apple has typically favoured one-time purchases for creative software. With that said, Apple is much more into services these days and clearly isn't gouging users at $49 per year.

11 hours ago, Commodus said:

Apple has typically favoured one-time purchases for creative software. With that said, Apple is much more into services these days and clearly isn't gouging users at $49 per year.

$50/year that would be the same as 6 years of the current price of FCP, not to mention users how buy the current FCP likly also find they need to buy compressor as well. So more like 7 years of FCP.  

Apple never promised to not charge for big version updates of FCP (and in the past they have charged for such updates) in the end moving to subscriptions will mean more users, and better product for them.   

As a developer selling apps on apples platforms the last thing any of us want is apple to start subsidising pro apps (making them free) from unit sales as this would destroy the market for anyone else to make a pro app on the platform. $5/month is cheap but it is not free, it costing something (and not costing $300 up front) means users are both pulled in to the possibility of using the devices for these tasks and not expecting everything to be free.   A high upfront perpetual (well it would not be perpetual it would be until next be V) entry point would not attract users to consider the platform and thus not help with the market for the rest of us.