Google Pixel Fold ... I don't even have to say "leaked". Of course it leaked.

Summary

Jon Prosser leaked once again all the details of an upcoming smartphone release by Google in a video posted on Front Page Tech YouTube channel.

This time it's about the upcoming Google Pixel Fold, which is of course Google's first foldable smartphone.

• 256GB $1799
  • 512GB $1919

April 26th Pixel Fold Teaser

May 10th Pre-Order (Google Store only)

May 30th Pre-Order (Carriers)

June 27th Available

When pre-ordering a Fold Google will also send you a Pixel Watch

Specs

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2b011a7565e06cfb28677f1f452b7512.png

image.thumb.png.3064a3599c30bea32cb4789fe292858f.png

image.thumb.png.47da1cb29be1c4fa0624bb1301c38245.png

image.thumb.png.a7fe11a3fb293268cb61a98701761b6e.png

image.thumb.png.3fbe96023a09ff59690f7bd56dbda87a.png

image.thumb.png.eb7bf730d69c020956ec9513c796854f.png

image.thumb.png.e2b1aa1672e264aa98a10daf380c0d18.png

image.thumb.png.f6ae8b6e535d3acbfb7a85511d2c99c7.png

image.thumb.png.1d9f681c3b22f17c36f1b9c000c17d53.png

image.thumb.png.e12d19f11b6b2f4421bbc5aa3f3f4d05.png

image.thumb.png.fa5eaff52d04faf4d17534ff76c7499f.png

image.thumb.png.5025cb10a4fe15748235d94610d87cb1.png

image.thumb.png.880e1191a05ff9a3af2b75aefbc31f17.png

(Fingerprint Sensor integrated into the power button)

Quotes

As for battery they're calling it a beyond 24 hour battery life and up to 72 hours with an extreme battery saver.

My thoughts

The Google Pixel Fold "leaked" entirely. Who saw that coming? 🤪

I want one, but it's simply too expensive. Usually I'd be the first one to pre-order this thing, but not at that price, even with the included Pixel Watch. Compared to this my Pixel 7 Pro looks cheap lol

Also one thing is weird about this. Why does it apparently only record at 4K 30? The Pixel 7 Pro can do 4K 60.

Sources

6 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Why does it apparently only record at 4K 30

DLC

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Who saw that coming? 🤪

Im sick and tired of Google Pixel marketing team being so creatively bankrupt that theyd rather just let their lawyer on euthanasia over leaks and hope the news circulation fishes around every day. Which of course they fucking do.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

15 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Im sick and tired of Google Pixel marketing team being so creatively bankrupt that theyd rather just let their lawyer on euthanasia over leaks and hope the news circulation fishes around every day. Which of course they fucking do.

What's the difference? At this point "leaked" just means "official announcement". Who cares what they call it.

Price of flagship slab phones is insane already, these foldables go even beyond that, with not always top specs, smaller battery, thicker, just for larger display. Really only beneficial to those that live on a phone be it for job or such.

Slabs for me. Also Google better increase their Android upgrade support.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

That looks perfect for a folder. I'm hoping with the bigger players starting to push into the space, Samsung will be forced to find a way to incorporate the SPen into their Fold to make it stand out more. 

Also very curious how this phone will fare; Google doesn't have the best track record with hardware. 

When it's time to renew my contract it looks like there will be lots of tasty options! 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Google better increase their Android upgrade support.

I mean 3 mainline + 5 years of security updates are good enough in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I mean 3 mainline + 5 years of security updates are good enough in my opinion.

It's really not. Especially coming from Google that own Android and we have couple of brands offering 4 years of upgrades already for some time. It's embarrassing for them.

For how much phones cost, they should be supported longer. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, Senzelian said:
  • 256GB $1799
  • 512GB $1919

Jesus...  The pixel 7 Pro 256GB is $849 USD right now.

This is over double the price... They are charging the price of 2 phones, just for a screen that folds.

It's the same price as Samsung's Fold 4 and the rumored price of the Fold 5 as well. 

And here I thought Google Pixel lineup were flagship phones for less than the competition... I guess Google gave up on that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's really not.

Honest question; why?

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's embarrassing for them.

I don't think they feel embarrassed. They know their market really well and understand that people upgrade their phones within 5 years anyway. Why should they spend additional money to support them for longer? From a purely profit-driven standpoint, it would be embarrassing for Google to support a device for longer than 5 years.

7 hours ago, Senzelian said:

When pre-ordering a Fold Google will also send you a Pixel Watch

I guess I can give up on my hope for a Pixel Watch 2 this year...

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I don't think they feel embarrassed. They know their market really well and understand that people upgrade their phones within 5 years anyway. Why should they spend additional money to support them for longer? From a purely profit-driven standpoint, it would be embarrassing for Google to support a device for longer than 5 years.

They should, because that is straight up not caring, slacking. Especially at this point in time, where Samsung offered more support than Google for years now, even some other brands are offering more. Not going to support such absolute planned obsolescence from a company that owns Android and can easily update longer and faster. I know phone is not useless if it's not on latest version, but still, criteria change and it's about time. Aside from basic clean OS and decent camera, it's still very pricey phone in the end for what it is.

And I'm not convinced Google phone users upgrade as often as some other that also buy lower range phones. It's an nonsensical argument saying it's straight up profit driven since it doesn't really hold up, just looking at say Samsung and Apple too, their phones are worth more and even more with longer software support. To add, Google each phone has QC issues and offer still less vs others in same price.

42 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

They should, because that is straight up not caring, slacking. Especially at this point in time, where Samsung offered more support than Google for years now, even some other brands are offering more. Not going to support such absolute planned obsolescence from a company that owns Android and can easily update longer and faster. I know phone is not useless if it's not on latest version, but still, criteria change and it's about time. Aside from basic clean OS and decent camera, it's still very pricey phone in the end for what it is.

You're giving me moral reasons, but no relevant reasons. Morals don't matter here. Imagine I'm Google and you now need to sell me the idea of longer software support. How would you do it? I don't think anyone can argue for that.

42 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

And I'm not convinced Google phone users upgrade as often as some other that also buy lower range phones. It's an nonsensical argument saying it's straight up profit driven since it doesn't really hold up, just looking at say Samsung and Apple too, their phones are worth more and even more with longer software support. To add, Google each phone has QC issues and offer still less vs others in same price.

Potentially upsetting Samsung by competing with them, is exactly one of the reasons to not increase support. Competition with Samsung and potentially losing a contract with them is exactly the sort of profit-driven argument Google would bring forward to investors. Keep in mind Samsung is Google's largest partner and without Samsung, Pixel wouldn't even be a thing. Google and Samsung probably don't even see each other as competitors. The relatively small number of Pixels sold does not harm Samsung's business. It probably helps them more than it causes damage, as they're the ones developing most of the hardware for Google. Each Pixel sold is profit for Samsung and each Galaxy sold is profit for Google.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised that the 5 years of OS updates for Samsung Galaxy devices are developed and delivered by Google and that both companies signed a contract for Google to specifically not update their OS on Pixel for more than 3 years. That is exactly the kind of anti-competitive behavior I would expect from these two companies.

You're giving me moral reasons, but no relevant reasons. Morals don't matter here. Imagine I'm Google and you now need to sell me the idea of longer software support. How would you do it? I don't think anyone can argue for that.

It's not even morals per say, but straight up that they're Google and they're trying to have an ecosystem here. So yeah, really also just straight up market share of theirs is horrible vs others, straight up facts, there I'm selling you the very obvious one, which other brands realized brings recognition and strengthens the brand and value.

Potentially upsetting Samsung by competing with them, is exactly one of the reasons to not increase support. Competition with Samsung and potentially losing a contract with them is exactly the sort of profit-driven argument Google would bring forward to investors. Keep in mind Samsung is Google's largest partner and without Samsung, Pixel wouldn't even be a thing. Google and Samsung probably don't even see each other as competitors. The relatively small number of Pixels sold does not harm Samsung's business. It probably helps them more than it causes damage, as they're the ones developing most of the hardware for Google. Each Pixel sold is profit for Samsung and each Galaxy sold is profit for Google.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised that the 5 years of OS updates for Samsung Galaxy devices are developed and delivered by Google and that both companies signed a contract for Google to specifically not update their OS on Pixel for more than 3 years. That is exactly the kind of anti-competitive behavior I would expect from these two companies.

That's just not true, nor how it really works. Google had longer support way back that was longer than others so... Also extending software support doesn't cost as much, especially for Google of such size. Samsung would kill them selves ditching Google really. Not sure what you mean Pixel wouldn't be a thing without Samsung. Really they were HTC phones.

They're still both selling Android phones, so really more cleaner OS without nonsense is always a win. Google can always opt to use a different chip anyway.

Yeah I don't buy that, also Samsung still needs to be the one that works on extra on top and delivers new software too, it's not like Google sends them new version and Samsung just insta ports their skin and done, no. It's really on to Samsung and more so on Qualcomm too how much support can be done for a given generation. Such contract you mentioned would be ridiculous really. Maybe if it was reverse I could even see it...

We will see with next phones if they'll change their mind.

8 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Jesus...  The pixel 7 Pro 256GB is $849 USD right now.

This is over double the price... They are charging the price of 2 phones, just for a screen that folds.

It's the same price as Samsung's Fold 4 and the rumored price of the Fold 5 as well. 

And here I thought Google Pixel lineup were flagship phones for less than the competition... I guess Google gave up on that.

I think it shows just how much it costs to manufacture these phones more than anything. There is WAY more going on with these than a simple slab phone, and it's their first, so a lot of R&D expense gets loaded onto the cost of these devices. On top of that, they're being smart and realizing that they're not going to sell many. Thus, higher cost. 

7 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Honest question; why?

While I agree, I also think that it's super easy for a company that only puts out two devices a year to offer a bit more support. I'd like to see 5 OS and 7 Security since it's a Google branded OS.

6 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Ehhh saying it's profit driven isn't nonsensical at all. You have someone do work it costs you money. That eats into profit, either directly, through lost potential costs, or both. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I also think that it's super easy for a company that only puts out two devices a year to offer a bit more support. I'd like to see 5 OS and 7 Security since it's a Google branded OS.

Yeah I also would like to see more and I agree it's probably incredibly easy. But even "incredibly easy" can be too much when all you really want to do is "nothing".

Would want to see the performance spec on that new tensor.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

Would want to see the performance spec on that new tensor.

It's not going the be groundbreaking. That's pretty much for sure.

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

Ehhh saying it's profit driven isn't nonsensical at all. You have someone do work it costs you money. That eats into profit, either directly, through lost potential costs, or both. 

There's more to it though, because long-term wise it would be beneficial profit wise. Just simply from that there would be more sales. 

Why would anyone pick this over a galaxy fold is beyond me. Only time it would make sense is if that one buying it loves playing russian roulette

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

$1800 is dead on arrival.  It could be $900 and probably still wouldn't sell, cause it needs to be priced like a novelty which it is.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

Why would anyone pick this over a galaxy fold is beyond me.

Why not? What does the Galaxy offer that the Pixel doesn't?

Thank you, Google. Not for this device, but for all the design improvements we will probably see on phone-tablet hybrid applications. This could be a big W just for Android in general.

54 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Why not? What does the Galaxy offer that the Pixel doesn't?

Mature platform entering it's 5th iteration.

What does the Pixel lack?

Looking at past pixels up to the 7, QA.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Mature platform entering it's 5th iteration.

What does the Pixel lack?

Looking at past pixels up to the 7, QA.

Did/Do you own a Galaxy or a Pixel? I had both and QA-wise there is no difference. Both have issues. I hear the same from colleagues and my workplace. We have over 5000 Pixels and Galaxys deployed at work as of right now. Starting from Galaxy S20 and Pixel 5 to S22 Ultra / Fold 3 and Pixel 7 Pro.

The hardware is likely made by Samsung themselves and the software and the optimizations that foldables, especially those from Samsung, have recently received come from Google.