why headphone suck even if they have amazing quality sound to them

cake the headphone junky

current headphones suck because there made of plastic witch breaks really easily my suggestion and this will not only make right to repair much better but cut down on e waste but to make headphones that are made of 90% metal so you can weld them if they break or get someone to do it for you this might sound dumb but this is my best bet of getting my anger out on how bad current materials are in current headphones  suck plastic is good in a lot of things headphones nope 

people generally want their headphones to be light weight 

3 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

people generally want their headphones to be light weight 

true but they always break around the adjustment parts of the headphones but you are very right 

Just now, cake the headphone junky said:

but they always break around the adjustment parts

I've never broken any headphones I've owned, ever. *knocks on wood*

Not quite fair to say "they always break". I don't even necessarily give any additional care or use them cautiously, Some people simply treat their headphones more aggressively.

2 minutes ago, cake the headphone junky said:

true but they always break around the adjustment parts of the headphones but you are very right 

Depend on what kind of brand you are buying from. I have a pair of Logitech K430 still chugging after almost 10 years now.

6 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I've never broken any headphones I've owned, ever. *knocks on wood*

Not quite fair to say "they always break". I don't even necessarily give any additional care or use them cautiously, Some people simply treat their headphones more aggressively.

I legit tossed my hyper cloud II headphones on my couch all the time and usually not lightly and have had zero issue with it breaking. I am wondering if they bought beats headphones that are made of garbage plastic or absolutely abuse the crap out of their headphones. Those are the only two reasons I could think of why they are having such a huge issue with headphones. 

I mean it depends on what headphones you buy and how you treat them.

My dads old old old senheisser hd 600's he used on radio and to dj with are still going because he treated them well for example. And those cans are like 25 years old and have basically 25 years of 5 days a week use on them

55 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I legit tossed my hyper cloud II headphones on my couch all the time and usually not lightly and have had zero issue with it breaking. I am wondering if they bought beats headphones that are made of garbage plastic or absolutely abuse the crap out of their headphones. Those are the only two reasons I could think of why they are having such a huge issue with headphones.

the type i bought were audio technica m40 headphones

My HD800s have lasted for 10 years. My girlfriend's M50x have lasted for 5+ (other than needing new ear pads)

If you're having issues, you're either buying very low quality gear or you're abusing them. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

3 hours ago, cake the headphone junky said:

the type i bought were audio technica m40 headphones

Weird my m50x haven't had much of an issue in terms of breaking. Though they do feel less comfortable than some of my other headphones but never had an issue of them falling apart. Maybe the m40 has worse build quality? Not sure tbh but I feel like all headphones will break at connection points simply because they are the weakest part of the headphones and points of failure. That being said those failure points are pretty solid in all of the headphones I have had that weren't cheap crap. Granted if you get unlucky you can get headphones that happen to have a connection that has a defect and ends up breaking. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Weird my m50x haven't had much of an issue in terms of breaking. Though they do feel less comfortable than some of my other headphones but never had an issue of them falling apart. Maybe the m40 has worse build quality? Not sure tbh but I feel like all headphones will break at connection points simply because they are the weakest part of the headphones and points of failure. That being said those failure points are pretty solid in all of the headphones I have had that weren't cheap crap. Granted if you get unlucky you can get headphones that happen to have a connection that has a defect and ends up breaking. 

hello i will try the m50x when my current pair brakes thank you

4 hours ago, cmndr said:

My HD800s have lasted for 10 years. My girlfriend's M50x have lasted for 5+ (other than needing new ear pads)

If you're having issues, you're either buying very low quality gear or you're abusing them. 

good to know and your specs are pretty good

2 minutes ago, cake the headphone junky said:

good to know and your specs are pretty good

The HD800 headphones have DEFINITELY been babied. They're $1000+ new. They're also on the fragile side. 

If you mean my desktop... It was great by 2019 standards but not quite great today. Still more than adequate though. I'm actually trying to NOT use my desktop these days because I'll spend too much time using it. I'm living off a Chromebook + Switch + Phone, other than my work laptop. Definitely doing a bunch of cloud computing (Databricks crashes without 100+GB RAM), but that's for work.  

9 hours ago, cake the headphone junky said:

current headphones suck because there made of plastic witch breaks really easily my suggestion and this will not only make right to repair much better but cut down on e waste but to make headphones that are made of 90% metal so you can weld them if they break or get someone to do it for you this might sound dumb but this is my best bet of getting my anger out on how bad current materials are in current headphones  suck plastic is good in a lot of things headphones nope 

With a name like that you would think you actually had experience with headphones and the overall market and options. Plentyt of affordable headphones are very durable and are easy to fix with manufacturers even offering parts for sale if a part of a headphone breaks look at Beyerdynamic Sennheiser,hifiman. Are great examples of these. 

2 hours ago, cake the headphone junky said:

hello i will try the m50x when my current pair brakes thank you

Stick with the m40 sound sbetter and about the same build quality. The m40 is pretty durable just feels cheap for the price. 

I have/had 10-20+ headphones and I've only broken a couple of them.  Kph30i because I sat/jumped on them but fixed them with packing tape and they're my new "fall asleep" headphones.  KSC75 stopped working on one ear shortly after getting them and Rode NTH-100 because I flopped onto my bed with them under the blanket.  Those were replaced with no questions asked but the replacement pair has cracked on each side since with very general and light use, this is because of a bad design though and I filled one crack with super glue.  My Zeus doesn't ratchet the best on one side but that's it.

Making a sweeping statement due to the material is just not a good way to go about thing's.  The Rode is known to be a flawed design and everything else was due to incredible abuse on my behalf.  Oh I should say that my Sennheiser game one gave up the ghost but that thing got the snot beat out of it.  Multiple times I got up and walked off briskly with them on and a few times I threw them against the wall.  I still have them and after a replaced cable the dial on the side of them is a little spotty but they still work.  And those are ALL plastic.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

15 hours ago, cake the headphone junky said:

Buy quality headphones from reputable brands and check the availability of spare parts first.

Beyerdynamic has every single piece of their professional headphones as a spare part available and their DT-770 easily survive 20+ years with fresh ear pads every 5 years.

The problem are "accessory manufacturers" "updating" their headphones every other year to a new model and not even making the ear pads replaceable or any spare parts available.

also the quality of the plastic matters as well. i heard the hd600s are tanks and some of them are older than i am and still working fine

12 hours ago, rice guru said:

Stick with the m40 sound sbetter and about the same build quality. The m40 is pretty durable just feels cheap for the price. 

Most reviews I've seen place the m50 above the m40. 

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/audio-technica-ath-m50x-vs-audio-technica-ath-m40x/295/296?usage=19&threshold=0.10

I don't think RTINGS is as good for headphones as for TVs but I've recall seeing the same overall conclusion for this comparison every time I've checked (though I could be misremembering)

While the m50s aren't some amazing set of headphones, they're relatively good, relatively tanky and relatively inexpensive. They're perfectly fine. 

3 hours ago, cmndr said:

Most reviews I've seen place the m50 above the m40. 

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/audio-technica-ath-m50x-vs-audio-technica-ath-m40x/295/296?usage=19&threshold=0.10

I don't think RTINGS is as good for headphones as for TVs but I've recall seeing the same overall conclusion for this comparison every time I've checked (though I could be misremembering)

While the m50s aren't some amazing set of headphones, they're relatively good, relatively tanky and relatively inexpensive. They're perfectly fine. 

The m50 lacking soundstage makes them sound very aggressive . It's not evident in measurements cause yes realistically they are fairly neutral but the more laid back m40 leaves a more enjoyable listen . The m50 is fine I'm most cases especially when not turned up too loudly. Also we all have different ears and tolerances and experiences to someone like me who is used to open backs the m50 is far too aggressive for me but the m40 is fine. But to someone who is used to gaming headsets the m50 may be the best thing they've ever heard. The reason I tend to point others to the m40 is it tends to be a more neutral sounding less aggressive headphone that in terms of detail retention basically the same as the m50. There are also more options now than the m50 that there is almost no reason to really reccomend it..

On 4/20/2023 at 10:16 PM, cake the headphone junky said:

The quality of keyboards also seems to have gone down the drain. Both shift keys, the comma and period keys on yours all have gone already.

I've never had a pair of headphones or headsets break. 

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 - Been my daily driver for 11+ years now. Only had to replace ear pads

Sennheiser PC 37x - been my gaming/phone call headset for 3 years now. Been used by my wife and myself. Still in like new condition.

Sennheiser HD 58x - I've had for 2 years now. I use it for gaming and movies probably 2-4 hours a week. Still in like new condition

HyperX Cloud Alpha - I've had for maybe 4 years now. I use this when traveling and kids used this during covid for online schooling. Still in like new condition.

Buy quality products and don't abuse them and they last many years

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

On 4/24/2023 at 1:18 AM, weez said:

I've never had a pair of headphones or headsets break. 

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 - Been my daily driver for 11+ years now. Only had to replace ear pads

Sennheiser PC 37x - been my gaming/phone call headset for 3 years now. Been used by my wife and myself. Still in like new condition.

Sennheiser HD 58x - I've had for 2 years now. I use it for gaming and movies probably 2-4 hours a week. Still in like new condition

HyperX Cloud Alpha - I've had for maybe 4 years now. I use this when traveling and kids used this during covid for online schooling. Still in like new condition.

Buy quality products and don't abuse them and they last many years

Just have the DT 770 for 3 years but I can easily go to their site or even third party sellers to change almost all of the headphones from cable to the head band to the actual speaker it's great. It's a comfortable headphones too albeit a bit strong in the clamping but responds well to EQ

There is nothing wrong with plastic for headphones. Plastic is a phenomenal engineering material, and can be extremely strong. For example, the jib and spinnaker blocks on my boat are entirely plastic (link). Note the load rating of 2.16 kN - nothing to sneeze at. The force and abuse that hardware takes during a typical heavy-air race is not insignificant, and on many occasions it is subjected to shock loads well in excess of 2.16 kN. While not unheard of, breakage is quite rare. 

Cast aluminum can break too, and anyone who's tried to weld it knows that it's far from trivial.

Point is, don't worry about what material your headphones are made of. Worry about whether the design decisions were made by the engineers or the bean counters, and then don't needlessly abuse your stuff.