BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

So here are the winners of the LTTStore discount vouchers, these need to be entered during checkout: 

@Hyuumaru @QuantumSnow @texus @etv24 @OhBoy @blab blob @Lightwreather JfromN @Your_Stalker @UnauthorisedNoodle @miker07

The winners of the Stream giftcards are:

@Storm_007 @chaozbandit @Bruntosaurus

The Winner of the drawing from @Ithanul is:

@Cory74

To claim your prize you need to DM me here on the forum before 00:00 BST, May 30th, 2023, with a screengrab of your BOINCStats statistics showing you have points in the correct projects 

1 minute ago, justpoet said:

That adjust what kind of work units they send you in the future.  You'll either need to let them finish, and then it'll do what you expect after it has, or you'll need to clear out the CPU only work units with a suspend (until after the whole competition) or an abort (less nice).

Alright, thanks. Can you take a look @ the edit to the original post? i'm not sure how to fix that.

1 minute ago, 912falcon said:

Alright, thanks. Can you take a look @ the edit to the original post? i'm not sure how to fix that.

Check to make sure your system doesn't think you're too active to use the GPU to calculate on.

Options > Computing Preferences > disable "Suspend GPU computing when computer is in use" and either disable or raise the % on "Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above ".  Those are what I would think is the most likely culprit.  Of course, also make sure you're looking at GPU computation if in task manager, not 3d load.

17 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Check to make sure your system doesn't think you're too active to use the GPU to calculate on.

Options > Computing Preferences > disable "Suspend GPU computing when computer is in use" and either disable or raise the % on "Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above ".  Those are what I would think is the most likely culprit.  Of course, also make sure you're looking at GPU computation if in task manager, not 3d load.

Its using GPU a little like 3%. And it is using my Intel Intergrated graphics like 10%. And the BOINC manager window is laggy to move around. but nothing else changed.

On 5/7/2023 at 1:12 PM, leadeater said:

Go to 'C:\ProgramData\BOINC' and edit 'cc_config.xml'. Make it look like below

<!--
This is a minimal configuration file cc_config.xml of the BOINC core client.
For a complete list of all available options and logging flags and their
meaning see: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/client_configuration
-->
<cc_config>
  <log_flags>
    <task>1</task>
    <file_xfer>1</file_xfer>
    <sched_ops>1</sched_ops>
  </log_flags>
  <options>
    <max_tasks_reported>1</max_tasks_reported>
  </options>
</cc_config>

Then reload the config by doing

image.png.e578f5290f9d72c9cce8ab71068463e4.png

After this select the yoyo project in the list and click update. Monitor the log file which can be found under the Tools menu and 'Event log..'

Keep clicking update and watching the log and the 'Ready to report' tasks reducing. Once the tasks stop reducing and you only get errors in the log remove the yoyo@home project and re-add it.

There was a problem with their servers over night and project tasks got reported but not fully and stayed in your BOINC client and now get rejected due to being already reported but they don't get removed. I had the same problem and that's how I got around it.

Change the cc_config.xml back to original or change the value from 1 to 1000 for 'max_tasks_reported'.

@leadeater A huge thank you for this.  Yoyo really hates large bunker drops, this issue happened to me again when I did a recent drop due to out of WUs.  Last time this happened I ended up losing 282 work units with the "Client Detached" error state (because I hadn't read your guide yet).  For anyone else who encounters this, it only works with the max reported tasks of 1, any more and you get the "No close tag in scheduler reply" error.  And you have to hit Update for every task stuck in the Ready to Report state (and its hard to tell the count is reducing when you have multiple pages of backlog).  I was able to verify it was working by sorting by due date and selecting the most recently due record, doing an update, and then verifying that the row disappeared from the list.  I still have over 200 to get confirmed....going to take forever.  Thankfully I have several hours left before the WU start expiring.

Here is an example of the event log dialog.  The blue underline shows a different stuck WU each time, while the red shows the 3 WUs that are bugging the reporting.

image.thumb.png.533f0e03f660238c05102a36cfd8dc5c.png

4 hours ago, 912falcon said:

Its using GPU a little like 3%. And it is using my Intel Intergrated graphics like 10%. And the BOINC manager window is laggy to move around. but nothing else changed.

On 5/11/2023 at 12:39 AM, leadeater said:

Have you changed Task Manager to show CUDA performance rather than 3D?

image.png.3cde78f2b82f14dd33620cac0f01bee5.png

This is probably your issue?

1 hour ago, 912falcon said:

Ok, I will start yoyo with my CPU. Currently PG is using my CPU as well (cpu running at 70%). Is there a way to make PG use just gpu and Yoyo use just cpu? but if i do that, it might increase the time past 23 hrs.

EDIT:

PrimeGrid recalculated and est. time to finish is 13hrs (I think because I suspended some 11 day tasks)

Performance wise it's best to not run any CPU tasks at all and just do PG. If you over utilize your CPU the GPU tasks actually take a little longer

1 hour ago, nadoteg said:

This is probably your issue?

There is not an option called Cuda. Before, it was running at 90 percent or more in the 3D section.

My BOINC manager crashed for some reason. I restarted primegrid but it will take over a day to finish remaining tasks. should I just wait for einstein to start and run that to the end?

13 minutes ago, 912falcon said:

My BOINC manager crashed for some reason. I restarted primegrid but it will take over a day to finish remaining tasks. should I just wait for einstein to start and run that to the end?

Those sound like CPU tasks, the GPU ones only take about 10 minutes. Make sure you disable CPU in the preferences on the website and abort all your long PG tasks. Then click update on the project to see if you get new GPU tasks.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Those sound like CPU tasks, the GPU ones only take about 10 minutes. Make sure you disable CPU in the preferences on the website and abort all your long PG tasks. Then click update on the project to see if you get new GPU tasks.

ok, thanks.

Hmmm, going to see if I can rig up some way to get my PSU cables to reach my 1950x system on the other side of my case.  Still don't have cable extension for that side (disadvantage of a large case) but maybe I can rig up a temp location for the PSU.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Damn knew it, careful, likely still counting their points. Pretty likely they will pass us based on previous years and current performance this year on other projects.

image.thumb.png.ef7f2a16b5731e320685097820bcc304.png

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Damn knew it, careful, likely still counting their points. Pretty likely they will pass us based on previous years and current performance this year on other projects.

Holy darn, they must be dropping large bunkers at this rate.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5950x delivered, 2696V4 expected today... and can't find a bloody USB to update drivers 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Could really use a bonus points day here soon. If it doesn't come tonight I might have to drop the bunkers I have. 1,300ish core/hours. Would rather settle for not getting them bonuses than risk not having them processed in time. 

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

🤮

Now to find a USB drive for BIOS updates 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

It's surprising how much I have to watch my computers for them to keep running. My 5950x and 6700xt apparently shutdown right after I went to bed because it tried running 25 threads of ecm p2 with only 32gb of ram.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, etv24 said:

Could really use a bonus points day here soon. If it doesn't come tonight I might have to drop the bunkers I have. 1,300ish core/hours. Would rather settle for not getting them bonuses than risk not having them processed in time. 

Hopefully, tomorrow is a bonus day, with it being the first day of the sprint

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240