BOINC Pentathlon 2023

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

So here are the winners of the LTTStore discount vouchers, these need to be entered during checkout: 

@Hyuumaru @QuantumSnow @texus @etv24 @OhBoy @blab blob @Lightwreather JfromN @Your_Stalker @UnauthorisedNoodle @miker07

The winners of the Stream giftcards are:

@Storm_007 @chaozbandit @Bruntosaurus

The Winner of the drawing from @Ithanul is:

@Cory74

To claim your prize you need to DM me here on the forum before 00:00 BST, May 30th, 2023, with a screengrab of your BOINCStats statistics showing you have points in the correct projects 

32 minutes ago, Birblover12 said:

I'm confused, what exactly is the point of this? Is it just a test to see who has spent the most money and can run the hardware the longest? What are the different "events"? I think I'm just out of the loop lol.

Well the Pentathlon itself is just a friendly event between tech groups to see who can do the best with what they have. BOINC itself is a distributed research compute platform that academics and scientists can use to get access to free compute resources that people around the world are willing to give.

So the Pentathlon is a yearly competition which offers a huge increase in that for chosen projects and also hopes that it drives more and longer term participation outside of the competition. 

10 minutes ago, etv24 said:

We have some work to do here

With the tasks taking 10 hours I have no idea how much I'm contributing until 10 hours lol

I suspect @miker07 has a lot they haven't released yet, damn hope so anyway

31 minutes ago, leadeater said:

With the tasks taking 10 hours I have no idea how much I'm contributing until 10 hours lol

I suspect @miker07 has a lot they haven't released yet, damn hope so anyway

I had some technical difficulties caused by the long tasks. I've got things straightened out, but did affect my bunkering. Looks like I had about 550k bunkered. FYI it seems like running at 50%cpu, smt disabled works better with srbase asks, at least with ryzen cpu's.

41 minutes ago, miker07 said:

I had some technical difficulties caused by the long tasks. I've got things straightened out, but did affect my bunkering. Looks like I had about 550k bunkered. FYI it seems like running at 50%cpu, smt disabled works better with srbase asks, at least with ryzen cpu's.

I find with CPU folding that keeping physical core as the max is usually the best as well, rather than full threaded core count.

image.png.fa9f9eeac13775895f40f96ce84131a2.png

Lookin better. Maybe just an off hour.

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

I'm back. 

Got started a bit late on the PrimeGrid (last night). But I have a 1050ti, (2) 4070ti's going on it and a 4080. As for YoYo I have been chugging away with a 5600X, 5800x, 5900x, I7-3770, I7-5960, and just started my laptop tonight with a I5-1240P - The heavy hitter 🙂

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

4 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

In fact what do we all have? 

LostMyTaco ready to report-
Currently slamming YoYo for CPU and PrimeGrid for GPU on these nodes: 
Chorizo - 2x Silver 4214Rs - 256GB - 28C - Quadro P2000
Huevos - 2x E5-2695 V4 - 256GB - 36C - Quadro P2000
Tortilla - 2x E5-2695 V4 - 256GB - 36C - Quadro P2000
Churro - 2x E5-2695 V4 - 128GB - 36C - Quadro P4000
THE VOID - 2x E5-2680 V4 - 64GB - 28C - Quadro P5000
Then a couple gaming computers with a total of 2x 5700XT's, 7900XT, and a 3090 to round it out. (3600, 5800x, 10750H, 9900k, and OH YEAAH one M1 Pro MacBook Pro doing its absolute best at PrimeGrid)

Again, all of this is currently focused on both YoYo and PrimeGrid for that sweet sweet baseline, but I can fairly quickly reassign these workloads. I'm quite new to all of this so if y'all think this power needs pointed somewhere specific, or if i need to this fancy bunkering thing, by all means let me know.

12 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

BTW guys we are losing ground to third in City run, if we want to take a medal we need more GPUs, and soon, tell your friends, families, work buddies, wives, whoever has a GPU, or something with modern Apple silicon as they are supported too. 

Happy to report that I have a 3050, 3070, and 4080 running under my account all started today on PrimeGrid. Hopefully it helps out a little.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

6 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Happy to report that I have a 3050, 3070, and 4080 running under my account all started today on PrimeGrid. Hopefully it helps out a little.

Def doing more than my poor little Quadro's maxing out PCIE's 75W of power 😂
Stole my friends rig with the 3090 its running a fair bit ahead of the 7900 XT - we absolutely need all that NVIDIA power. 

How long does it take for GPU usage to show, think I have enabled for my 6700 in AP27 but it's not using any cycles 😒

11 minutes ago, ColinJ451 said:

How long does it take for GPU usage to show, think I have enabled for my 6700 in AP27 but it's not using any cycles 😒

Not sure if this looks right and the GPU is suspended as it's in use but these are the only active WUs

PXL_20230510_072840828.MP.jpg

10 minutes ago, ColinJ451 said:

Not sure if this looks right and the GPU is suspended as it's in use but these are the only active WUs

Far from an expert as this is my first time being involved in these kinds of challenges but I've been getting that message when it's being used elsewhere by the system. Maybe check your settings as to what parameters have been set for pausing activity based on GPU usage?

14 minutes ago, W.D. Stevens said:

Far from an expert as this is my first time being involved in these kinds of challenges but I've been getting that message when it's being used elsewhere by the system. Maybe check your settings as to what parameters have been set for pausing activity based on GPU usage?

Thanks, changed it under activity to always and it's kicked in, the fact it's showing AP27 and not ECM isn't an issue I hope?

2 minutes ago, ColinJ451 said:

Thanks, changed it under activity to always and it's kicked in, the fact it's showing AP27 and not ECM isn't an issue I hope?

That's fine. For PrimeGrid you're only wanting to run AP27 and not any of the other ones. ECM & ECM P2 are the only ones we're interested in for Yoyo, however.

I'm out of yoyo. These big units really suck. I can't run 24/7 and they don't seem to checkpoint often enough. One unit just resumed at 0% after clocking up 10+ hours yesterday. They will never finish.

I'll join in on other projects while I can, like SRBase today. As much as I like PG I'm a long time member of another team on that project and don't want to move just for this.

Edit: oops! Just noticed I never joined team on SRBase. Corrected that now 😄

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, W.D. Stevens said:

That's fine. For PrimeGrid you're only wanting to run AP27 and not any of the other ones. ECM & ECM P2 are the only ones we're interested in for Yoyo, however.

🤦 Thanks, a day wasted of prime then. I think I am there now though. Thanks for the help all 🙂

Edited by ColinJ451

Nice to see more people getting involved, let's go! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Dropped PG bunkers again, have to go to the office today and didn't think they had enough remaining work to make it till I get home.  Some other teams must really be hoarding their PG units long-term because I still have 15 mil pending credit and it hasn't really fallen below about 13.5 mil pending the entire event.

1 113 244 in the jav, keep going guys, we got this 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

A reminder, if ya want to be in the prize draw for the event, ensure to sign up on the form.

https://forms.gle/M9XKNewc4GuJNMpW8

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

We had our best update yet on PG, keep pushing guys, we can secure a medal with just a little more effort 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240