New headphones really bad... ?

Protomesh

So I was looking for new headphones, looked at Rtings for some reviews and decided to pick up Arctis Pro GameDAC...

But to my disappointment the audio quality is incredibly poor. 

Everything just sounds muffled. I read about other people having same issues. How are these regarded as the #1 gaming headset?? 

These are x10 worse than my old wireless Logitech G933's. 

I would go back to using my G933's but unfortunately they are broken.

Idk what to do anymore. I guess I have learned ONCE AGAIN that I should never trust headset recommendations even if they're from a reputable source because every time I have bought the "#1 best gaming headphones" I've been disappointed. 

HyperX Clouds were absolute dog💩 too back when I owned them.

I also remember when I bought the Creative Fatal1ty HS-1000 headphones and they were absolutely terrible as well.

Is the headphone market just all around bad??? At this point looks like Logitech is the only brand I can trust in audio equipment... But even they have very poor built quality and design choices (even if the audio itself is good)...

3 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

So I was looking for new headphones, looked at Rtings for some reviews and decided to pick up Arctis Pro GameDAC...

Everything just sounds muffled. I read about other people having same issues. How are these regarded as the #1 gaming headset?? 

Idk what to do anymore. I guess I have learned ONCE AGAIN that I should never trust headset recommendations even if they're from a reputable source because every time I have bought the "#1 best gaming headphones" I've been disappointed. 

I also remember when I bought the Creative Fatal1ty HS-1000 headphones and they were absolutely terrible as well.

Is the headphone market just all around bad??? At this point looks like Logitech is the only brand I can trust in audio equipment... But even they have very poor built quality and design choices (even if the audio itself is good)...

You're looking at the wrong place. The problem here is "gaming" headsets and that they are wireless. Look at reputable headphone brands like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Audio Technica or Hifiman just to name a few. Also the HyperX cloud 2's should be pretty good for the price. Why were they bad?

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Yeah sounds about right arctis stuff is super bass heavy to the point everything sounds crap.

Rtings is also a weird site as they rate stuff out of 10 but that is well a useless way of rating things.

Your issue is that you are buying gaming stuff instead of actual audio gear. Like I have some 40€ samson 850's and they SMASH so many other headsets that are 10x it's price. All it requires is you go into your sound mixer and give it a bit more bass as they aim for a flat refrence sound but are super easily tuneable.

5 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

You're looking at the wrong place. The problem here is "gaming" headsets and that they are wireless. Look at reputable headphone brands like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Audio Technica or Hifiman just to name a few. Also the HyperX cloud 2's should be pretty good for the price. Why were they bad?

I don't trust studio headphones either unless the price tag is $5000+

Clouds were extremely muffled as well and the headset cord itself was the worst I have ever seen. Nearly snapped in half within a 2 weeks.

However these Arctis Pros are the worst headphones I've ever had sound quality wise.

14 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Buy headphones from an audio company, not a computer peripheral company

I don't have $5000+ to fork over for headphones

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah sounds about right arctis stuff is super bass heavy to the point everything sounds crap.

Rtings is also a weird site as they rate stuff out of 10 but that is well a useless way of rating things.

Your issue is that you are buying gaming stuff instead of actual audio gear. Like I have some 40€ samson 850's and they SMASH so many other headsets that are 10x it's price. All it requires is you go into your sound mixer and give it a bit more bass as they aim for a flat refrence sound but are super easily tuneable.

Actual audio gear will break the bank sadly.

If only the G93x didn't have such a crappy build quality, I have the G935 and they're the best sounding and most convenient headphones I have but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

16 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If only the G93x didn't have such a crappy build quality, I have the G935 and they're the best sounding and most convenient headphones I have but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired...

Yeah my G933 had an issue with the power switch. Never buying headphones with a power switch again.

Only power buttons. No switches. Only buttons from now on.

My G933 had a superb audio quality... But the audio was always distorted because of the loose power switch. That is the only drawback with Logitech. Good audio but overall terrible design of the headset itself.

Just now, geo3 said:

WTF? No. There's plenty of stuff in the $100 to $200 range that completely destroys any gaming headphones. 

I do not trust that whatsoever.

I'm highly confident a $5 pair of earbuds performs better than even $400 studio headphones.

2 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

Yeah my G933 had an issue with the power switch.

Yup mine's been doing that too when I power it on for more than a year or so now, but a little wiggle and it's fine (I've been using them ~10 hours per week on average for 3 years at this point).

If it got worse I'd just replace the switch / bypass it, the sound and wireless are worth the hassle to me 😄

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

21 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

I don't have $5000+ to fork over for headphones

Any reason why you make such bold statement? There are very affordable headphones that beats the "gaming headsets".

1 minute ago, Protomesh said:

I'm highly confident a $5 pair of earbuds performs better than even $400 studio headphones.

A serious question, did you create this topic to let everyone know that you don't trust? Gaming headphones are pure trash, that's a fact.

So what do you want us to do now?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Gaming headphones are pure trash, that's a fact.

Any reason why you make such bold statement?

Works both ways, it's not any more valid than what you're complaining about. My experience doesn't match.

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Any reason why you make such bold statement?

Works both ways, it's not any more valid than what you're complaining about. My experience doesn't match.

They look silly and some looks like christmas tree made to be weared on head. Others looks like some futuristic spaceship.

Sound quality is not good either.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

31 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

Actual audio gear will break the bank sadly.

What are you talking about?

You got 100$ you can get like some really really good headphone for that money.

12 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

What are you smoking and can I get some of that? 😛

11 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

They look silly and some looks like christmas tree made to be weared on head.

Who cares, I don't see them and nobody else does. 

For me what matters is that the sound is good and the wireless doesn't degrade it significantly/add significant latency. That exists.

F@H

GPD Win 2

21 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Any reason why you make such bold statement? There are very affordable headphones that beats the "gaming headsets".

A serious question, did you create this topic to let everyone know that you don't trust? Gaming headphones are pure trash, that's a fact.

So what do you want us to do now?

I am very confident a pair of the cheapest earbuds you can find from Walmart will outperform any Sennheiser below $1000

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What are you talking about?

You got 100$ you can get like some really really good headphone for that money.

What are you smoking and can I get some of that? 😛

Well clearly I can't get good headphones for $100 when every single headset above $100 that I have bought has been worse than the free earbuds that came with my Samsung Xcover 12 years ago

Just now, Protomesh said:

I am very confident a pair of the cheapest earbuds you can find from Walmart will outperform any Sennheiser below $1000

There are other great headphones that sounds very good:

ATH-W2022

Spirit Torino Valkyrie

Sennheiser HE-1

HiFiMan Susvara

DAC/AMPs:

1 hour ago, Protomesh said:

Lol imagine buying gaming headsets and basing your entire opinion on the headphone market based on that then getting argumentative when people who actually care about audio tell you otherwise. Bruh is beyond help

38 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

Well clearly I can't get good headphones for $100 when every single headset above $100 that I have bought has been worse than the free earbuds that came with my Samsung Xcover 12 years ago

well you are buying gaming headsets those are made with max profit in mind. If you get actual audio gear you can get pretty damn nice stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9600-Headphones-Open-Back-00/dp/B08B477BHS?th=1

If ya doubt it get these they are rock solid headphones.

42 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

Yeah no. Not at all.

You've been jaded by some cruddy headphones. I mean by all means go ahead and get a cheap 10$ set of earphones from walmart and then go get one of our recommendations the difference is night and day.

48 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

There are other great headphones that sounds very good:

ATH-W2022

Spirit Torino Valkyrie

Sennheiser HE-1

HiFiMan Susvara

Yeah cheapest there is $7000 and one of them is literally $62 000