Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

Just in case anyone was trying to flag anyone at LTT, safe to say they know and are working on it.

image.png.cea7f8e5d0f5a2c2ba1b0ee1dcbb63b8.png

Edit: They also put a post on Floatplane about it

1 minute ago, pcislocked said:

you can put single playlists in "shelves", the sections in your main channel page you can edit. image.png.0edbb5272e979115cb00e91417f24cc0.png

When you press the add button, these are your options, and you can move them around.
image.png.db7012fc6ec367bba31edc7f42bbf4b4.png

So they add original tesla channel's playlists to make it seem like the channel they are editing/hijacking is legit.

They edited it to make the videos legit but couldn't get the right photo.

They use the same darker red with the tesla lettering every time a channel gets hacked -it's a dead giveaway every time.

Screenshot_20230323_080331_YouTube.jpg

Just now, WickedLightning08 said:

I think there's something wrong with the forums too. I just logged in and got this message which wasn't there yesterday

I got the Tesla notification but didn't pay too much attention to it.

Screenshot_20230323-183241.png

it is liekly not the ltt forums, it might be another site review your account

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

4 minutes ago, the_importer said:

All the more reasons for Crypto to be outlawed worldwide.

What a take. Cars are used in bank robberies, so they should also be outlawed worldwide. As should western union. And the internet.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

See the latest from ShortCircuit, ShortCircuit, ShortCircuit, or ShortCircuit!

Hide contents

image.png.2a7d7a43205d248c6d1f0984cf77f468.png

ah yes

these 4 panels indeed are as stupid as it looks

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

Just now, Shawn3 said:

Just in case anyone was trying to flag anyone at LTT, safe to say they know and are working on it.

image.png.cea7f8e5d0f5a2c2ba1b0ee1dcbb63b8.png

we know, and they also posted on floatplane

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Just now, GorujoCY said:

I know there was basically the equivalent of a DDoS here, my concern is they could have downloaded LMG servers/databases/information and have gotten access to user data.

I'm not concerned about not being able to access here or Floatplane, I'm concerned about my details being accessed.

1 minute ago, Prariedog13 said:

They edited it to make the videos legit but couldn't get the right photo.

They use the same darker red with the tesla lettering every time a channel gets hacked -it's a dead giveaway every time.

Screenshot_20230323_080331_YouTube.jpg

so at the end they arent that smart

1 minute ago, CSwords said:

I know there was basically the equivalent of a DDoS here, my concern is they could have downloaded LMG servers/databases/information and have gotten access to user data.

I'm not concerned about not being able to access here or Floatplane, I'm concerned about my details being accessed.

your data should be safe unless the attack expanded not just on YouTube, but seeing it's a tesla scam my closest response currently is no

My PC

5 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Are the forums affected and users should change their passwords?? I know I haven't been able to login at all this morning due to high server load message. 

no

I was wonder WTH "Tesla" was doing giving me notifications.   Never thought to click on them. 

Well on the bright side @LinusTech their will be interest in some security related content.  At least a few days worth of videos about this.  I hope you get your channel back and are recording the process.   Though I can't imagine that LTT wasn't using every kind of multi factor, biometric, security keyed thing to protect the crown jewels. 

HTH did hackers get past all of that? 

1 minute ago, Eluminary said:

This could have been even crazier if they waited 1 week to do this on april fools day.

it would be chaotic indeed

My PC

Oh how the turntables

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

2 minutes ago, Jammy Dodger said:

About 100 people have in the last 10-15 mins alone!

Luke is over there telling them to hold off on the recovery because floatplane memberships are skyrocketing.

3 minutes ago, WickedLightning08 said:

I think there's something wrong with the forums too. I just logged in and got this message which wasn't there yesterday

I got the Tesla notification but didn't pay too much attention to it.

~Snipped~

2 minutes ago, CSwords said:

Yeah both of which I am concerned about and changing passwords will be the next thing to do if LTT forum was affected by the YT breach considering they also accessed Techquickie and Techlinked. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

It is certainly disheartening to hear that LinusTechTips has fallen victim to a hack. However, I have faith in the ability of Google and YouTube to swiftly address this issue and restore the channel to its rightful state.

2 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I was wonder WTH "Tesla" was doing giving me notifications.   Never thought to click on them. 

Well on the bright side @LinusTech their will be interest in some security related content.  At least a few days worth of videos about this.  I hope you get your channel back and are recording the process.   Though I can't imagine that LTT wasn't using every kind of multi factor, biometric, security keyed thing to protect the crown jewels. 

HTH did hackers get past all of that? 

wooooooooooooah im not sure that pfp is appropriate my friend

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

1 minute ago, Prariedog13 said:

Luke is over there telling them to hold off on the recovery because floatplane memberships are skyrocketing.

Heard it here first, TeslaGate was an inside job!

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

It's hilarious to me how it's ALWAYS Tesla and crypto stuff. Scammers clearly have a well-developed profile of their ideal mark.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, JDM said:

It is certainly disheartening to hear that LinusTechTips has fallen victim to a hack. However, I have faith in the ability of Google and YouTube to swiftly address this issue and restore the channel to its rightful state.

youve gotta be kidding me

you put your sfety in the hands of the ones making the issue in the first place

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

9 minutes ago, pcislocked said:

you can put single playlists in "shelves", the sections in your main channel page you can edit, at youtube studio > customization > layoutts i

When you press the add button, these are your options, and you can move them around.

So they add original tesla channel's playlists to make it seem like the channel they are editing/hijacking is legit.

Thanks! That explains it for me then.