Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

Just now, Kilrah said:

It is a cache issue, on youtube's side.

Seems they cache searches for extended periods of time. 

But then why is the main LTT channel not affected ? Just weird

Likely just timing, they didn't all get taken down or reinstated at the same time. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Captain_Hindsight said:

I can confirm that there is still the Tesla logo on YouTube search for Techquickie and Techlinked

Just open https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=techquickie+  and https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=techlinked

No cache issue, reproducible on different devices.

click on the channel and you'll find out that it's actually in its normal techlinked/ techquickie logo. As mentioned many times above, it's cache error from YT side at least on the main search, and this affects not just the logo but also description on the main search. 

Although...

3 hours ago, KeradSnake said:

Video search from channel does seems to not having that issue though, and it can shows result based on whats in the description (THANK GOD because I think this wasn't the case back then, at least for me, idk it never worked) so it's a good way to hunt for videos that are still having the scam in the description, and of course I found two examples from that. Checked from regular and incognito, both shows the same so yep it's still not changed for these two example and not cache error

In the nutshell: Main search have cache error from YT side, channel search do not (which can be used for finding videos that still have the scam description)

and this makes me question YT even more if they can't even handle cache error from their side why do I expect them to prevent session token theft

Hey just wanted to know does LTT have an BCM/DR/IR policies?

I work in the public sector as a Cybersecurity Auditor, part of my job is assessing Business Continuity Management, Disaster Recovery, and Incident Response plans and providing regulatory recommendations when I find areas of improvement. I was quite stressed out just listening to WAN show yesterday hearing Linus and Luke talk about the events that took place. 

To me it sounded incredibly disorganized from my perspective. Thinking about it, in the event of a cybersecurity incident is it really best practice to have an angry naked linus try to just figure it out? I mean, typically the incident response team will wear clothes. I heard at one point Luke tried to call Dan super early in the morning. Was that because you guys have a call tree in policy that was supposed to alert Dan? What if it was absolutely imperative Dan needed to be reached, do you guys have alternative contact information in IR policy? For this incident specifically does LTT perform Phishing Testing/Training on users? I was also listening and heard some changes going on related to IAM, I would have questions related to that to. What if this was an environmental, economical, or polical/hacktivism issue, does LTT have contingency plans to deal with those? Procedures for alerting your stakeholders including the public, does LTT have those in place? When listening to the WAN show it sounded like areas of BCM/DR/IR were addressed during the issue instead of getting your ducks in a row prior to this all going down.  

I don't expect answers to these questions, it shouldn't be public information for LTT's own protection. 

TLDR: Does LTT have BCM/DR/IR policies to help address incidents?

The large logo for Techquickie seems to be Telsa:

Techquickie.thumb.png.e4a7ffb244a38577be5197a943ef68f2.png

I dont know if it is just google not yet updating the logo for search, or it is a seperate image that has to be updated back, so just giving a feedback.

It's really still Tesla in the Search. On the actual channel and videos, it's the normal one.

This is sadly a youtube caching server issue. Giving it more time will likely end up solving it. Another solution might be to change the logo once more to something else and hope Youtube finally updates.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

0D92B377-18DF-4505-870E-57C26BFF944D.jpeg

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

I found this one might be interested.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB Phantom Gaming D OC

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

49 minutes ago, JoshB2084 said:

I found this one might be interested.

This is a short, but good video. I think a lot of people really underestimate how certain tactics work when it comes to malware, phishing, etc...

Spotting things when they're infrequent or uncommon is ridiculously easy. But with the right approach and the right target, some attacks take the most mundane tasks someone might do on a computer everyday, and it can blend in very well to where you won't even be able to recall anything out of the ordinary.

Hey guys.. It just so happened that my small channel just got hacked similarly to LTT.. Can anyone help me, Im desperate, my channel is small but I have me life's work put into it. It was hacked just about hours from now. It does not have a Tesla but a CS-2 Scam site/qr code live at the moment.. youtube.com/nestygunner 

I already sent my help request on support-in@google.com but still no reply. I could not login or recover my account because they used a USB Key authentication. 

please guys.. can anyone help me on this

vivaldi_bh867wriWL.png

5 hours ago, Philip Basallo said:

I already sent my help request on support-in@google.com but still no reply. I could not login or recover my account because they used a USB Key authentication. 

Ooof! It's shocking that Youtube allows people to add 2FA methods to an account without reauthenticating the user.

Unfortunately without access to the account I don't think there is going to be much you can do. Try tweeting at the Youtube creator twitter account as well sometimes that helps get attention.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Ooof! It's shocking that Youtube allows people to add 2FA methods to an account without reauthenticating the user.

Unfortunately without access to the account I don't think there is going to be much you can do. Try tweeting at the Youtube creator twitter account as well sometimes that helps get attention.

This is what my brother ended up doing for his channel. Once he reached out VIA Twitter, they sent him a form he could fill out. It helped that he was in all of his videos. Easier to show that it was his. It took a few days to get everything back to the way it was, but he eventually did.

On 3/26/2023 at 4:29 PM, Matyi10012 said:

The large logo for Techquickie seems to be Telsa:

I dont know if it is just google not yet updating the logo for search, or it is a seperate image that has to be updated back, so just giving a feedback.

when the cache in a storage far far away, have still not updated or corrected. but then one see, going into a wormhole and its a totally different channel when clicked on 🙂

3 hours ago, Myethox said:

It helped that he was in all of his videos. Easier to show that it was his. It took a few days to get everything back to the way it was, but he eventually did.

which can become a point of attack now. *sad face*

Edited by Quackers101

I am kinda concerned about the employee at linus tech tips that was the victim of this attack. Do we need a wellness check?

1 hour ago, Wolves of the West said:

I am kinda concerned about the employee at linus tech tips that was the victim of this attack. Do we need a wellness check?

I don’t know why you’d be worried about them. Shit happens and Linus / the team seemed to be very understanding. 

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

@Masters2150 I have merged your thread into the LTT Hack thread. This was discussed already within this thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card