I HATE Shopping for TV Stands… They ALL Suck!

Other James
6 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I fail to see how a closed cabinet with drawers improves on easy access while also being a pain to use when you have to switch around stuff and think of airflow problems.

it's called 'wife approval factor'. when you have a family with kids and people with taste in home decoration, you sort of want things to be enclosed. also - for a piece of furniture like that 3K isnt all that wild.. and yes.. most brand-name furniture is this garbage.

also - the fact that soft close hinges are straight up not a common thing blows my mind. and those silly soft-close dampeners are literally "sold by volume" levels of cheap.

if you want actually decent furniture - go to a propper woodworking company that makes things to size. chances are it's not much past the price of something off the shelf, and they are people who actually have pride in their job.

2 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Linus, a man with more money than sense: Let me buy a $3000 TV cabinet with a marble top that I have to extensively mod and that turns out to be built just as cheaply as a random one from IKEA. Oh and let me try and dampen the sound of the doors closing while ignoring the huge metal grille that's causing the noise while wondering why the vinyl bumpers do nothing.

Me, an intellectual: Buy the longest cheap open TV stand with no vertical dividers.

image.thumb.jpeg.d13437d1e5540c0d9e85b780599a1590.jpeg

Don't fuck around with airflow, cable management is a nightmare if you want to plug-in or unplug stuff (you don't honestly believe I have all that stuff constantly plugged in, right?) and I'd rather easily get to all my cables than hide them just because some visitors might not like to see them. You might notice this picture is taken from almost directly dead on, so if you're anywhere in a sitting position looking at it from an angle, all that stuff behind the stand is already obscured by the tinted glass shelves and the consoles on top. And if you're wondering why there are two PS3s, one is my partner's and she has all her saves on hers so I put it up there for her to play her stuff.

I fail to see how a closed cabinet with drawers improves on easy access while also being a pain to use when you have to switch around stuff and think of airflow problems.

Personally I can think of a few downsides for that style of open TV stand. First and pretty minor is you can just not want anything on the floor which that stand doesn't really do.

The biggest one that would make me want to go for something else is after one of the tempered glass layers shattered at our house sending the Switch and a cable box to the bottom level, I just want to avoid tempered glass when it's not much more expensive to do so. Otherwise, though, I do think that no vertical dividers is probably the right solution for a lot of people.

6 hours ago, Chahk said:

What's that USB card with separate controllers at 20:51 into the video?

6 hours ago, cramd said:

That is exactly what I was looking for as well. 

So after a quick google search I found this:

Sonnet Allegro USB-C 8-Port PCIe Card, 8x USB-C 3.1, PCIe 3.0 x16

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/a/f/7/f/a75a78e93d9b94f370419d2afd0deea202ba.pdf

I do not know if this is the same as the one used in the video.

6 hours ago, brandorf said:

What is the wireless controller/keyboard he's using there?  I don't see anything similar on Amazon.

This isn't exactly it but it's a good place to start.

Rii i8+ Mini Wireless Touch Keyboard,Handheld Remote,LED Backlit Compatible with Android TV Box, Android Smart TV,HTPC,Raspberry Pi, Win 7 8 10,Mac OS https://a.co/d/gAQzt0l

Got a AC infinity usb fab connected to the ps5 to extract heat from within the compartment and push out behind tv cabinet.

The fan is installed backwards but you can’t see that when it’s behind the console.

turns on and off with the console and also has a speed controller ( low, medium, high)

I found this works best for me, given I only  have one device unlike Linus.

E453298D-5F9C-48F4-82B6-CC6E8FE4AB01.jpeg

thank god i inherited my grams old tablet tops... open air and made of real wood.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

While I would love to see an LTT take on a TV stand, cabinetry falls either into a category of mass produced "good enough" or something completely bespoke, with hardly anything in between, and probably wouldn't be too viable in the long run.

When looking at items that are mass produced, most often you'll find that these are composed of MDF/Plywood with veneer finishes. In this manner the cost of production can be held fairly low while the speed and consistency at which the product is made remains fairly high. CNC machines can tear through board-after-board of the stuff which yields volume. Since MDF and Plywood are composite materials, they have a few benefits in comparison to regular wood, with the biggest one being that variability between cut parts will be low. Again, consistency is easy to achieve.

The issues with MDF and plywood usually manifest themselves after a bit of time. MDF likes to bend and warp with moderate amounts of weight and heat and would require the addition of supports depending on shelving length, or rather thick boards. Plywood can begin to de-laminate when subjected to cycles of heating/cooling and dry air. These materials area also a bit troublesome in that their strength varies with thickness to an almost extreme degree. The difference between 7/16" MDF and 1/2" MDF may not seem like much, but that 1/2" board will be substantially stronger and rigid. The trade-off, of course, being weight and material cost.

Turning to actual hardwood, while neat in theory, presents a whole host of challenges. With solid wood you face issues of drying, warping, splitting, weight, and so much more. For a one-off bespoke item it's great because you can finely control the process of how the wood is shaped and make any corrections along the way should issues pop up, and they will. Working with large boards, cutting, gluing, sanding, etc., will relieve tensions within the wood and cause it to behave in ways that often work against you. There's a reason why butcher's blocks are thick as hell, and for the same reason a lot of the components for hardwood TV stand would also have to be thick.

Ultimately, the success of this would depend on the company actually producing the TV stands. LTT can design a banger of a product, but it'll mean little if either the cost of manufacture/shipping is too high, or the long term life of the product is 'meh.'

Anyone else see Linus hot gluing the shelf and ask themselves why didn't he remove the shelf and hot glue the IR then put the shelf back on

What was the controversy with the Anker hub?  As in "should not be named"

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

There's a Pro version of the Harmony Hub that can be networked (and even powered) by ethernet instead of WiFi.

Probably a little difficult to find new these days (with Harmony being EoL'd), but it's nice to take one "shitty wireless device" out of the control plane.

Holy shit, you bought a $3000 cabinet and hoarded all of the extreme edition pillows?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

AV standard size descended from pro stage equipment, guess what size it was...

Thon makes rack rails with adjustable spacing so You can have any spacing You want

https://www.thomann.de/pl/thon_12u_live_rack_rail.htm

Back has rack rails too btw and all cables connect into rack plate so i can scoot it out and vacuum behind it. <ed> not that i actually do that </ed>

PXL_20220905_093100243.jpg

18 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

is that a fucking laserdisc player bottom right? holy crap that's awesome!

She/Her

Did you consider to place the fan in the back panel instead of the bottom one? if so, why you ended up with that?
I'm thinking about that because I don't think I can hide a fan in the bottom of my stand.

Also I'm wondering if those strong magnets can actually do something against performance of the transformers like the Wii U power brick.

Besides that I actually like it how you plan the modifications in a pre-built cabinet so we can apply them, even if you could just design something better and make it xD

12 hours ago, Psittac said:

What was the controversy with the Anker hub?  As in "should not be named"

Anker own another company that does home cameras, and that company lied about it not sending/storing any user data on external servers or something, so now we are meant to be outraged and not buy/use Anker products or there other brands for anything... LMG also dropped using Anker as a sponsor because of it. This happened the week after I spent over £2500 swapping out every charger at work for Anker ones, not that I would actually stop buying products from a manufacturer because they lied because I would never be able to buy anything ever again..  

21 hours ago, Required said:

According to the site that is Super-speed 5 Gbps per port, USB 3.1 Gen 1 and not the USB 3.1 Gen 2 with 4x 10Gbps controllers that is in the video, some one else has posted about the Sonnet Allegro which is 3.1 Gen 2 and have the 4 separate controllers.

On 3/10/2023 at 12:34 PM, GenChaos said:

AV standard size descended from pro stage equipment, guess what size it was...

Thon makes rack rails with adjustable spacing so You can have any spacing You want

https://www.thomann.de/pl/thon_12u_live_rack_rail.htm

Back has rack rails too btw and all cables connect into rack plate so i can scoot it out and vacuum behind it. <ed> not that i actually do that </ed>

PXL_20220905_093100243.jpg

yo, I love that chair. Is it height adjustable? Doesn't look like it, but I would love a height adjustable of this.

1 minute ago, iLikeBananas said:

yo, I love that chair. Is it height adjustable? Doesn't look like it, but I would love a height adjustable of this.

That's a car chair riding on a wooden platform. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Seconded on the importance of the "wife approval". We're both keeping an eye on a new TV and TV stand; the IKEA Kallax not being wide enough to fit a PS5 has pushed us to the breaking point, and now we're making a little money so we're trying to graduate from the IKEA stuff to something a little nicer. 

But re: the wife approval, maybe someone could help me out - would cabinet doors that are a "meshy" material be best, or solid doors, if I cut out some ventilation? Wouldn't having solid doors mean more directed airflow in/out of the cabinet?

Can someone please tell me the handheld magnet pieces that he was using? Not to be confused with the magnet cable management bracket that he is making… 

On 3/9/2023 at 10:55 PM, Avocado Diaboli said:

Me, an intellectual: Buy the longest cheap open TV stand with no vertical dividers.

I don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't want that in my living room. I'd either set it up as a showpiece, displaying the consoles in an attractive manner, or hide them in a pleasing cabinet. The condition of these consoles doesn't quite look to be up to display spec, so I'd probably stick them in a cabinet.

22 minutes ago, XNOR said:

I don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't want that in my living room. I'd either set it up as a showpiece, displaying the consoles in an attractive manner, or hide them in a pleasing cabinet. The condition of these consoles doesn't quite look to be up to display spec, so I'd probably stick them in a cabinet.

I think the fundamental difference from my approach to many others' is that I don't mind having stuff around that's visibly used. I don't need to hide my belongings in my own living space, not from visitors and least of all from myself. And I don't much care about having them all in perfect mint condition. They're old, they're used. That's how they're supposed to look. I'm don't curate a museum.

Displaying these consoles serves no purpose to me, I usually don't set up things that have a practical application just for decorative purposes. The consoles all work, I use them, no need to hide them in a glass cabinet just so they don't get dusty. And again, hiding them in cabinets just makes using them unnecessarily cumbersome. I approach my living spaces with pragmatism and simplicity, not with forced minimalism and style over substance. Form follows function everywhere and an open TV stand maximizes functionality where a closed cabinet minimizes it and a display case destroys it.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

1 minute ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I think the fundamental difference from my approach to many others' is that I don't mind having stuff around that's visibly used. I don't need to hide my belongings in my own living space, not from visitors and least of all from myself. And I don't much care about having them all in perfect mint condition. They're old, they're used. That's how they're supposed to look. I'm don't curate a museum.

Displaying these consoles serves no purpose to me, I usually don't set up things that have a practical application just for decorative purposes. The consoles all work, I use them, no need to hide them in a glass cabinet just so they don't get dusty. And again, hiding them in cabinets just makes using them unnecessarily cumbersome. I approach my living spaces with pragmatism and simplicity, not with forced minimalism and style over substance. Form follows function everywhere and an open TV stand maximizes functionality where closed cabinet minimizes it and a display case destroys it.

That's fair, and I don't think there's a definitive right answer. It all depends on your preferences and situation. Children or no, your tolerance for clutter and it's impact on your mental health, spousal approval, your willingness to clean, you name it.

I will say I've had an open stand with consoles in them for a long time and I didn't hate it. I am now moving towards a more enclosed stand, mostly because I've finally got fed up with dust getting between everything and it being more work to clean. That's as practical a reason as any with form following function, just ending up at a slightly different conclusion.