I HATE Shopping for TV Stands… They ALL Suck!

Other James

I went with a different approach back in Jan for the hell of it. Used AC infinity controller for the thermostat switch which ended up working well. Intake's on the bottom. Series x doesn't smoke the cabinet anymore w/o the doors open.

PXL_20230312_031301828.thumb.jpg.e43afaa1647022921602b838e711c413.jpgPXL_20230103_003320423.thumb.jpg.f8c01fb5bcfbf5e2a30cce2bd4659f31.jpgPXL_20230103_034037777.thumb.jpg.617674053e0e07d577072368f60a940b.jpgPXL_20230103_034108642.thumb.jpg.e4802201e66ee7968839f09af1ea2f32.jpgPXL_20230103_043744391.thumb.jpg.eed26865641ce1b761ab3202cfe95064.jpg

PXL_20230103_043737040.jpg

On 3/9/2023 at 2:09 PM, brandorf said:

What is the wireless controller/keyboard he's using there?  I don't see anything similar on Amazon.

It looks like this MSI product: 68515_4_800.jpeg?auto=webp

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I just wached this video and I want to say a couple of things about it, because as of the so many people out there who are looking for something like this or similar so do I and I am really interested in exploring the potential of a project like this.

1) With such strong magnets or magnets in general, wouldn't cables with not so good shielding be affected(?) and if yes, how much??

2) At 20th minute of the video we see Linus leaving the controllers on their charging base, but I think this is bad for the controllers's batteries, because the controllers being plugged, that means the energy from the batteries will flow to that small ''ecosystem'' resulting in dead batteries. Just a thought because this is what happens when you leave your phone or laptop connected to a power supply that is not connected to the plug, it sucks the energy from the batteries cause it's working the other way around. (I understand that, that may not be the case here, because he isn't connecting them to a power supply.)

3) About the panel at the back of the cabinet space of the computer and consoles. I believe it could be easier if they cut the panel to the dimensions of the back of the pc and place the pc's back touching the cut panel, connecticg all the IO from the outside and giving the cabinet space some breathing air because the exhaust now would be directly outside, while the pc's fan will only suck ''fresh'' air.

1 hour ago, thanoos said:

At 20th minute of the video we see Linus leaving the controllers on their charging base, but I think this is bad for the controllers's batteries, because the controllers being plugged, that means the energy from the batteries will flow to that small ''ecosystem'' resulting in dead batteries.

It's the year 2023, not 1993.  The controller will run off the USB port directly once plugged in, both charging the battery while powering itself off the USB port.  You can even remove the battery and the controller will still work if plugged in.  (Though it'll obviously die the moment it's unplugged).  Devices like this have not operated the way you think they do for a very long time. (I'm sure someone is going to find some ultra cheap garbage that is the exception to this, but it's ultra cheap garbage for a reason.)

The amount of 'Battery Myth's people believe these days is crazy.  They think everything is running on NiCad AAs from 30 years ago.

Just a thought because this is what happens when you leave your phone or laptop connected to a power supply that is not connected to the plug, it sucks the energy from the batteries cause it's working the other way around.

This is literally not how switching power supplies work.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

13 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

This is literally not how switching power supplies work.

But this exactly what happened to me one time with my laptop and one time with my phone. I forgot them plugged in to the power supply without it actually beeing plugged to the wall and the batteries drained, oh and another example I have is from a friend, he had rechargable batteries (energizer) on the charger tucked away on his drawer for more than 6 months and when he tried to use them they were dead.

6 hours ago, thanoos said:

But this exactly what happened to me one time with my laptop and one time with my phone. I forgot them plugged in to the power supply without it actually beeing plugged to the wall and the batteries drained, oh and another example I have is from a friend, he had rechargable batteries (energizer) on the charger tucked away on his drawer for more than 6 months and when he tried to use them they were dead.

Okay, fine - if you’re storing batteries long term, they will slowly lose juice (but in this example, you’re mistaken, power supplies don’t draw current from batteries as they don’t have a load, the batteries just discharged over time). In this example, these are devices that Linus or his family use, so you can leave them on the charger. If someone’s storing a device long term, it’s good for battery health to store it neither fully drained or fully charged, but somewhere in between (that’s why new devices will often come out of the box with around 70% battery). But if you’re using a device like a controller all the time? Leave it plugged in so it’s charged when you use it on the regular, it’s fine. 

Also, a magnet by itself doesn’t induce a current. It would require some externality, like moving it through a coil, for example. So, no cable shielding necessary.

9 hours ago, thanoos said:

Correlation is not causation.  A power supply can't drain the device it's plugged into like that.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

On 4/2/2023 at 9:06 PM, thanoos said:

Hello everybody,

I just wached this video and I want to say a couple of things about it, because as of the so many people out there who are looking for something like this or similar so do I and I am really interested in exploring the potential of a project like this.

1) With such strong magnets or magnets in general, wouldn't cables with not so good shielding be affected(?) and if yes, how much??

2) At 20th minute of the video we see Linus leaving the controllers on their charging base, but I think this is bad for the controllers's batteries, because the controllers being plugged, that means the energy from the batteries will flow to that small ''ecosystem'' resulting in dead batteries. Just a thought because this is what happens when you leave your phone or laptop connected to a power supply that is not connected to the plug, it sucks the energy from the batteries cause it's working the other way around. (I understand that, that may not be the case here, because he isn't connecting them to a power supply.)

3) About the panel at the back of the cabinet space of the computer and consoles. I believe it could be easier if they cut the panel to the dimensions of the back of the pc and place the pc's back touching the cut panel, connecticg all the IO from the outside and giving the cabinet space some breathing air because the exhaust now would be directly outside, while the pc's fan will only suck ''fresh'' air.

Merged to video thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv