AMD is hoping to merge the x86 and ARM ecosystems with 'ambidextrous computing.'

qwertywarrior

ambidextrous computing

amd-skybridge,5-P-434365-22.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ambidextrous-x86-arm,26709.html

The company has been working on this solution for two years and the end result is an ARM-based SoC that is pin compatible with AMD’s next-gen x86. Dubbed Project Skybridge, this will allow users to have a motherboard that runs ARM and x86.

This design framework is a family of products on the 20nm process and will use Puma+ on the x86 side and A57 on the ARM side. It’ll feature HSA as well as AMD GCN (Graphics Core Next) and will be Android compatible -- a first for AMD. Though AMD’s meeting today was heavy on Seattle and what it means for the server market, the company has said that Skybridge will target the client/embedded markets for 2015, with nothing for servers.

AMD also talked briefly about its plans for 2016, which will see the company debut its own custom-developed 64-bit ARM core design. The company didn’t offer much in the way of information but did tell us that this 64-bit ARMv8 CPU core will be in servers and embedded solutions along with semi-custom and ultra low power client devices. We’ll also see a matching x86 design around the same time. Again, not a whole lot of information on that right now, but we'll keep you posted.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

AMD really pushing for unified computing solutions looking toward the future. Interesting.

damn, this is impressive, a compatible socket for arm and x86, do they plan to have a chip with x86,arm and gpu in the future because of this? i'm really intrigue whit the direction they are going now, the only thing missing something for high end consumer (i'm talking a chip that performance competitive vs an i7 for the same price)

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

When we try to mix stuff,it usually doesn't end too well.Everything has its own role.

This might not be the case though.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

damn, this is impressive, a compatible socket for arm and x86, do they plan to have a chip with x86,arm and gpu in the future because of this? i'm really intrigue whit the direction they are going now, the only thing missing something for high end consumer (i'm talking a chip that performance competitive vs an i7 for the same price)

"It’ll feature HSA as well as AMD GCN (Graphics Core Next)"

Interesting. I can imagine a laptop that has a x86 for the powerful windows experience when a low powered ARM for power saving web browsing and such.

Please don't.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It really does seem like AMD are dropping out of the performance CPU race. Although what they are doing is going with the market, it does mean that they are going to keep losing to Intel in terms of sheer balls to the wall performance

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Hmm, as it stands I see this as an extremely niche choice: Not too many people really need both ARM based and x86 based apps. Now if they could turn this into some sort of mantle or dual graphics solutions that would let applications leverage all 3 cores (x86, ARM and GPU core presumably) now that could work. It remains to be seen, if something like Mantle actually takes off then this could be promising for them.

If on the other side Mantle turns out to never gain solid adoption (and honestly, even with their alleged 40 devs it's looking like it) then this is a waste of R&D

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't know what to think of this x86/ARM hybrid incarnation now that the initial joy has subsided.

1. Right now, AMD knows that actually competing with Intel will require a complete overhaul of AMD's take on x86. This will take too much time and resources away from GCN, which AMD still needs to maintain to hold off Nvidia. Plus, AMD just opened up a new branch of its business in introducing Beema/Mullins, so consider that another reason why Option 1 is a bad idea for AMD at the moment.

2. At the same time, AMD can't just back out of the x86 market. Sure, FX can't compete, but it's something. Little revenue is better than no revenue at all. If AMD stops producing products for the desktop market, that's the equivalent of giving everything to Intel and surrendering. That'll make A-series look irrelevant and weak, and Opterons will be even more stranded...you get what I mean.

3. AMD can't hold onto Steamroller. The 9590 shows that GHz doesn't even make a difference anymore, and if AMD wants to keep playing the GHz race they'll need their own, mandatory CLLC solution to keep the CPU from exploding/melting.

4. AMD also can't just abandon FX like they intend to; FX is already behind enough as is, it doesn't need to be a few more generations out of date.

What can AMD do OTHER than make distant promises on exotic architecture husbandry?

Could be great for mobile devices.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Needless expenses. I don't see the point. I'm fairly certain that Intel will reduce power consumption of X86 enough so that we won't need ARM.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Their plans is to drop their CMT architecture eg bulldozer & piledriver. Theyre going back to SMT like the phenom/intels are.

If amd just gave each core a dedicated fetch and decode unit the performance would massively increase on its own, and actually having all 3 levels of cache instead of rinkydink versions would help as well. They're reason for poor performance is that the CPU can't translate and relay information quick enough once it reaches a certain load.

i want all inside my AMD chip  :lol: i love it

i think @LinusTech have test one of this rare tab ARM/x86 prototypes one time :rolleyes:

(and he like it also, if i remeber well)  ^_^

Some people misunderstood what Skybridge actually is.
It isn't a hybrid processor with ARM & X86 cores.
The Skybridge project is about creating a unified socket & interconnect infrastructure on the SOC & motherboard level so that both ARM based products & x86 based products can be interchanged.
This cuts costs from developing a new socket, allows customers i.e. OEMs to very easily offer both ARM & x86 based products and allows AMD to address a larger portion of the market more economically.

Some people misunderstood what Skybridge actually is.

It isn't a hybrid processor with ARM & X86 cores.

The Skybridge project is about creating a unified socket & interconnect infrastructure on the SOC & motherboard level so that both ARM based products & x86 based products can be interchanged.

This cuts costs from developing a new socket, allows customers i.e. OEMs to very easily offer both ARM & x86 based products and allows AMD to address a larger portion of the market more economically.

You are correct. A real pity.