No more sideloading for you || Android 14 could prevent users from sideloading outdated apps ||

darknessblade

Summary

Google blocks Users from easily sideloading apps trough a APK file.

Quotes

Google is reportedly working on a new change set to go live with Android 14 that will prevent users from installing outdated apps on their devices. The company already enforces minimum API level requirements for apps on the Play Store, preventing developers from publishing apps that target older Android releases. However, this restriction doesn't prevent users from sideloading outdated apps.

Google aims to remedy that with Android 14, and a newly posted code change (via 9to5Google) suggests that the company will enforce stricter API requirements with the upcoming release. Once the change goes into effect, users will no longer be able to sideload APK files for apps that don't meet a specified API level. It will also prevent third-party app stores from installing apps that don't meet the new guidelines.

My thoughts

Why the hell is Google trying to look like apple, forcing users to keep using the google appstore, and not sideload their favorite apps on the latest android version.

Nothing good will come from this except a lot of hatred from the community that is behind Android itself. since android at its core is a open source system.

Not forgetting this will go against the DSA and DMA regulations. as google is purposely trying to further lock down the system.

Sources

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-14-block-outdated-apps/

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

34 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

Summary

Quotes

My thoughts

Why the hell is Google trying to look like apple, forcing users to keep using the google appstore, and not sideload their favorite apps on the latest android version.

Nothing good will come from this except a lot of hatred from the community that is behind Android itself. since android at its core is a open source system.

Not forgetting this will go against the DSA and DMA regulations. as google is purposely trying to further lock down the system.

Sources

Google will give the toggle to manufactures so im assuming 3rd party roms are not affected by this. and how the aggressive the feature is also controlled by OEMs. But most OEMs still allow unlocking bootloader so maybe some OEMS don't use it. and it only effects apps that isnt updated in the last decade 

Well good thing my phone is too old :`D

But like for real this is just a lawsuit waiting to happen in some way shape or form

I'm going to guess Google want to avoid having to support much older API levels. They don't want to end up with a Windows situation where it is hard to move forward when there is so much old stuff around. Assuming such functionality is removed from ongoing Android versions, the old apks wont work even if you can get them on there. The correct solution is for apps to remain updated.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

In theory this isn't much of a problem, in my oppinion,

as those people who might use older APK files, probably own a device that support it, and shouldn't really need to buy newer phone most of them...

or just keep the old device.

It's also probably because you can download APK file and install the app, for free, instead of buying it...

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Looking at the source link, the claim there is the reason is security, as malware targets older APIs which can bypass modern protections. They're initially targeting ancient versions of android. It doesn't say what the threshold is, but the article mentions eventually moving to Android 6 Marshmallow. For time context, that version was released in 2015.

Just how big a loss is not being able to sideload an app that hasn't been updated in 7+ years? This is going to be extremely niche. The title of this thread as it stands is a bit misleading. The main goal is not blocking sideloading, it is blocking ancient apps.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Just how big a loss is not being able to sideload an app that hasn't been updated in 7+ years? This is going to be extremely niche. The title of this thread as it stands is a bit misleading. The main goal is not blocking sideloading, it is blocking ancient apps.

i think a installing a app that isn't updated in nearly a decade is dumb and blocking that only effects like 0.0000001% of android users that have some app that isn't updated for that long like businesses still stuck with XP and 2000 and the ones need that badly show they are fine stuck with a old os. It is obviously misleading 

Most people that use apps that are that old are pirating them. If the app you were using is removed from google play store due to API level restrictions (if its even a thing) you shouldnt use it anyways, however google should do their due diligence and let users know about these types of things instead of just removing an app from google play store one night and letting it linger in users devices.

Edit: I should also add that this will the start of the troubles for third party app-"stores" like f-droid when google decides to pursue higher level of restrictions.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Not sure what all the rage is about. If an app is that old you shouldn't be installing it anyway because it's not going to work

33 minutes ago, porina said:

For time context, that version was released in 2015.

Damn I feel older now.

Still have a stock one plus used as a chromecast caster 😛

Although in general, I feel I should be able to install what I want on my device, it really just depends on exactly how strict this new system is. I tried to install Paint.net on my moms computer the other day, and it said her build of Windows 10 was too old. So it can even happen on PC. It's not necessarily the end of the world though.

53 minutes ago, porina said:

Games. Game developers, particularly on Android, but iOS don't update just to work on newer versions of the OS. But the uproar will be worse on Android simply because developers on Android find it difficult enough to develop ANYTHING for Android in the first place, when on iOS, the biggest obstacle is Apple's approval (who won't approve apps for some very arbitrary or stupid reasons,) not the OS. 

So now throw in "we're ripping out old API's cause they're insecure" and you will have applications and even some games that access the camera (eg Unity) just go "NOPE." 

I don't imagine there will be too many applications that are sideloaded that "don't work" unless the app uses API's that get ripped out of the OS, which might itself only be things like accessing the Camera, Microphone and GPS.

1 hour ago, darknessblade said:

That's not what this is though. You can install the same exact APK through Google Play or sideloading, you just can't sideload apks that would not be supported by the play store. I think it's dumb because there's absolutely no reason for this and I imagine someone out there really needs to sideload that one discontinued app, but it's nowhere near what Apple has been doing where you just can't sideload anything.

Parts of android is open source but the vast majority of the development effort comes directly from Google.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

51 minutes ago, porina said:

Assuming such functionality is removed from ongoing Android versions, the old apks wont work even if you can get them on there. The correct solution is for apps to remain updated.

There are apps that have not been updated for ages,

That also includes paid apps.

Google's plans are draconian, i am highly depended on side loading so going forward i will install custom ROMs that allow side loading on newer phones.

Also this would mean that newer apps won't work on older phones i presume.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I'll go ahead and chime in as someone who sideoads apps. I actually sideload multiple apps, some that are open source, some that are no longer supported, etc. None of which are pirated, or paid apps. So as mentioned above their are legitimate use cases for sideloading apps. Even my "outdated" apps work fine in Android 13 (Lineage 20). 

Google is being based. 

I get it they don't want to drag old legacy support though. Will there be some emulation container like on Windows heh.

Either way, Google, maybe you know you being so called Android owner, provide more Android version software support for your phones already you slackera. Samsung already does for a while, 1+ will too and some other. Google should 1 up them and offer 5y ver upgrqdes. 

I never said that less versions makes a phone a brick but these days, it's sad to see and I refuse to support that and buy their phone until that changes, shame because they are nice.

More support would deffinitely help huge ver fragmentation, it's so bad. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

38 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I think it's dumb because there's absolutely no reason for this and I imagine someone out there really needs to sideload that one discontinued app, but it's nowhere near what Apple has been doing where you just can't sideload anything.

Well I mean security concerns are a valid point if the older API's are the ones that get targeted.  It also allows them to cut API support at the level that they choose, so that that code doesn't need to be maintained/updated.  If it manages to simplify the code base as well, you might get better performance as well (or just in general better security).  It's sometimes about getting rid of the tech debt.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

How does an end user know their old APKs will no longer work (and what APIs it's using) before they update Android, and it is suddenly no longer usable?

I need to make the switch to another mail client at some point (trust me, I know), but I (along with many other unhappy users) am currently using K9mail v5.600, which was released way back in 2018. Is my pixel going to update someday, and it just disappears forever, leaving me scrambling to setup a new mail client?

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

2 hours ago, darknessblade said:

Summary

Quotes

My thoughts

Sources

Like others have said, you're overstating the case here. You'll still be allowed to sideload apps; you just wouldn't get to sideload some eight-year-old app just because.

As it stands, people forget that Google isn't a charity doing things out of the goodness of its heart. It's a business using open source as a strategic tool. Antitrust concerns are one thing, but it doesn't owe you completely unfettered access. And it's amusing/disappointing that people will rail against Apple as some unfathomable evil while still putting Google on a pedestal; Google happily locks down things when it makes business sense.

15 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

How does an end user know their old APKs will no longer work (and what APIs it's using) before they update Android, and it is suddenly no longer usable?

I need to make the switch to another mail client at some point (trust me, I know), but I (along with many other unhappy users) am currently using K9mail v5.600, which was released way back in 2018. Is my pixel going to update someday, and it just disappears forever, leaving me scrambling to setup a new mail client?

Well hopefully, not sure if they would, they would pop up with a warning prior to doing the update that xyz apps would no longer be supported...but not sure if they are.

In the case of the K9mail thing, yea looks like someday it would no longer be supported.  With that said, the developer could set the target to Android 6 (and with a bit of refactoring could likely get something running, having done it once before for apps I wrote, it took myself about a half a day to fix up everything that used old API calls).  The question is, should apps be supported forever and at what stage to drop API support.  I used to target the older devices because it simply gave me a larger audience.

1 hour ago, porina said:

2 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Meh.. I have no need for apps that don't get maintained.

So here is an issue, it's not 7+ years...or even ones that don't get maintained.

There is, admittedly, a cost of refactoring code to work with the current API.  When you develop an Android app as well you don't usually set the minimum requirement to the most current API; unless you want to utilize the a feature in it that only exists in the current API and the app can't work without that specific feature...otherwise you target the older version and still add the new feature in (but wall it off to only devices that support it).

So generally you choose what you want, using the minimum API you can get away with to support the app (in order to hit more audience) or choosing a slightly higher one (to utilize some of the newer API without using the old one).

https://gs.statcounter.com/android-version-market-share

Targeting 4.0 to 6.0 Android you would get an extra 1.8% (so likely not really too important), but if you were to target 8.1 and higher you would be missing roughly 8% of the market (released 6 years ago). Targeting Android 9 (5 year old OS), you get about 13% missed and Android 10 (4 year old) you miss about 22%.

So I don't think it's necessarily straightforward to just look at the year it was released in, as as of right now I would likely build Apps targeting Android 8.1/9 as minimum SDK level...and depending on the App I might target 6.0.  If they lets say keep creeping it by an year each time, that would mean I would have to update the App yearly (even if it was working fine without issues)

33 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Like others have said, you're overstating the case here. You'll still be allowed to sideload apps; you just wouldn't get to sideload some eight-year-old app just because.

As it stands, people forget that Google isn't a charity doing things out of the goodness of its heart. It's a business using open source as a strategic tool. Antitrust concerns are one thing, but it doesn't owe you completely unfettered access. And it's amusing/disappointing that people will rail against Apple as some unfathomable evil while still putting Google on a pedestal; Google happily locks down things when it makes business sense.

The way I look at it is if it is not stopped right now, Google will further lock down android, making Sideloading a thing of the past.

That is why it needs to be stopped before they have even the chance to implement it.

Even if they are a ""Business"" they are using a OPEN SOURCE system, and further locking it down is not really that "open source" if you ask me.

Also your statement regarding owing  completely unfettered access. Is completely false.

IT IS MY DEVICE AND I WANT TO DO WITH IT, WHAT I WANT TO DO.

It is not up to some company to tell me what I cannot do with MY DEVICE, that I PAID FOR with MY MONEY.

If they handed me the device 100% free of charge it would have been a different story. But since I purchased the device it is 100% my property, and they CANNOT tell me what I CAN and CANNOT do with MY DEVICE.

I wouldn't have expected anything else from people who had never known any PROPER consumer protection in their own country.

Unlike in the USA and Canada Companies cannot Bribe Lobby against consumer protection regulations in the EU.

Just look at the right to repair act in New-York that recently got botched trough Bribing lobbying efforts by big tech.

It still baffles me that soo many people think companies can do whatever they want with something they created. without anything or anyone to stop them.

Consumer protection regulations exist for a reason.

If they did not exist, companies would just say ""Warranty void when opening the box it is packaged in"" Just like those Illegal warranty void if removed stickers many PC manufacturers used in the old days.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/11748/warranty-stickers-are-illegal#:~:text=Most consumers don't know,language of your warranty says.

Making ANY defect no matter what, a YOU problem. even if that defect is a DOA out of the box. [broken screen], when you have opened right in front of the Seller's/company's employee their eyes. they will deny any rights you as a consumer would have had with proper consumer protection.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

5 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

It is not up to some company to tell me what I cannot do with MY DEVICE, that I PAID FOR with MY MONEY.

If they handed me the device 100% free of charge it would have been a different story. But since I purchased the device it is 100% my property, and they CANNOT tell me what I CAN and CANNOT do with MY DEVICE.

Then don't update to Android 14, simple as that.  There are justifiable reasons behind not supporting, sometimes having old API's lingering around can come back to bite you.

Just image the world if strcpy in c was deprecated and no longer supported...it would break a lot of apps, but those that used strcpy_s would be a lot safer from buffer overflows.  It's always a weighing of the impact vs other benefits.

20 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

Even if they are a ""Business"" they are using a OPEN SOURCE system, and further locking it down is not really that "open source" if you ask me.

I don't think you understand what open-source is then, this kind of deprecation of older APIs, and instruction sets are done quite regularly (Further Reading: Linux).

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Open sources simply means the source code is open to see and/or reuse. It doesn't mean they have to support whatever you want or demand from them in their product.

What about the other side then? They develop Android (at least mostly, from what I know), it's their product. Doesn't that mean that they can do whatever they want with it, because it is their property? Why can you tell them what to do with their software, but they can't decide what to do with their software?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB