AMD Ryzen 7000X3D series coming February/April, 16-core Ryzen 9 7950X3D features 144MB cache: 21-30% higher gaming performance at 1080p (Update #3)

On 1/5/2023 at 6:00 PM, LAwLz said:

I still don't really understand who these CPUs are for.

The "average consumer" who will actually utilize a 500+ dollar CPU will probably be better off buying the higher core count part for the typical workload (assuming it's like last gen where the 8 core 3D cache part costs like the 12 core part). 

If you regularly run tasks that demand such expensive CPUs, you are probably better off with 50% more cores than more cache.

Sure they are better for gaming, but who actually buys these 3000-4000 dollar computers that benchmark sites and AMD uses to maximize the CPU bottleneck just to then play a 1080p? Previous gen, the gap became smaller the more GPU bottlenecked you were, and that pretty much always happened with modern games once running at somewhat high resolutions. Don't buy an RTX 4090 if you are planning on gaming at like 720p.

Besides, the non-3DX chips are fast enough for gaming anyway. And before people start throwing around the argument of "future proofing" I want to say that I think that's an incredibly stupid thing that almost never works out as planned. To me it seems like 9 out of 10 people who "future proof" by buying more expensive parts usually end up wasting that money in the end.

There are 500Hz/540Hz monitors going to be released soon so you can bet that people will want to get both the best CPU and GPU to push these framerates even if it's 1080p.

Yes, it's intended mostly for eSports where those games can probably already run at these framerates but still, that does not stop people from wanting to play different games at that kind of FPS either.

There are many FPS snobs around these days.

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

mbymux8giqf41.jpg

I can finally go Pro now that my FPS is high enough I'll see everyone first... lol

Just now, leadeater said:

mbymux8giqf41.jpg

I can finally go Pro now that my FPS is high enough I'll see everyone first... lol

You laugh but I play Warzone 2 at lowest settings (except textures) with DLSS Performance mode and it actually looks "good enough". It's not like you have time to observe and admire graphics in fast paced BR game 😄

However I must admit that shadows look absolutely terrible. The staircase effect on them is like 2cm per pixel sometimes which made me increase shadow detail a bit to get rid of it.

19 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It's not like you have time to observe and admire graphics in fast paced BR game 😄

Of course you do, the glorious high fidelity death animations. Watching those isn't common for you? 🙃

So we finally got an official launch date for the Ryzen 7000X3D CPUs ~

AMD Ryzen 7000X3D series launches February 14th 2023, Valentine’s Day:

AMD has confirmed that their Ryzen 7000 X3D gaming processors will be launching on February 14th.

11101403226l.thumb.jpg.677b25d13b36143e26bf9b72441a62b9.jpg

AMD's Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs have a locked multiplier and therefore do not support overclocking. However, you can use the automatic Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) performance-boosing feature, or use the Curve Optimizer to increase performance.

AMD has not revealed the pricing of their Zen 4 X3D processors, at this time. Expect them to have premium pricing over AMD's standard Ryzen 7000 series processors.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7000x3d-has-a-redesigned-box-designless-oc-supportand-lower-max-temp.html

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_reveals_ryzen_7000_x3d_s_release_date_-_zen_4_with_a_gaming_boost/1

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-sets-launch-date-for-ryzen-7000-x3d-cpus

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7000x3d-series-to-launch-on-valentines-day

Will update OP.

I mean, Undervolting and letting PBO rip is the way to overclock zen 4 anyways, changing the base clock multiplier doesn't really do much when its always throttle by something else before it even gets there. 

Like I set my 7700x to 5.75GHZ, but I have never seent it turbo past 5.55 GHZ, and its astonishingly rare to go past 5.5GHZ. 

On 1/4/2023 at 6:39 PM, CommanderAlex said:

I feel bad for those that already coughed up the $$$ for a 7950X when AM5 launched.

Early adopter tax really hittin LMAO

I feel a Lil bad but honestly it's kind of

a dumb move to cough up big bux for a new platform. Equivalent to buying a car for reliability on its first model year of release tbh

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

On 1/7/2023 at 5:01 AM, leadeater said:

mbymux8giqf41.jpg

On 1/7/2023 at 4:44 AM, WereCat said:

Bro please bro if you buy this 600$ cpu on a new(ish) platform you can get 2% more fps!!! 

I swear the jump from people being uptight about maintaining 60 fps as the standard to just "as high as possible" happened overnight. Majority of people don't care or have the monitor to run those kinds of frames anyways. 1080p high refresh rates are getting cheap I guess, but anything else is still pricey. 

Edit: I meant to edit the above post with the multi quote not double post smh

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

On 1/5/2023 at 12:24 PM, LAwLz said:

I made due with a 1700X from the day it was launch, up until a few months ago (over 5 years), and I probably do more CPU intense tasks that most people on this forum.

Before that I had an i5-2500K, which lasted me ~6 years. 

My guess is that I won't be needing to upgrade my PC for 5+ years as well.

Do you actually need those 15% higher scores in a benchmark? Or do you just want that because you like buying new things and/or brag about it on the Internet?

How would 15% higher score in a benchmark improve your life and would it be worth spending hundreds of dollars to get it? 

Just shows you what is being left on the table even with a 4090 at 4k.  At some point I had (from what I can remember) a 1700,1800x, 2600x, 2400g, 2700x, Threadripper 2950x, 3900x, 4800H, 5900x, 5600g.  I'm sure I forgot something.  That is just personal systems I've sold probably 20 Ryzen CPUs on top of that with MC deals and resale.  Had a few pre-builts with Intel as well, laptops, etc.

BTW I just ordered a 7950x, Strix B650e-f and 64GB of DDR5 6000C30.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

One day in 2040 playing Minecraft remake running with NVidia's new hologram total simulation cores HTX8060super (at 45fps) and newest Ryzen x100kxtx-X 40 core 4.5Ghz with 2GB of cache the future gen will wonder how we ever got by with meger 144MB

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Idk about ya'll but I'm finding CPU's much more interesting Pcores Ecores, Mass Cache, Chiplets and a whole range of positives and negatives for two separate roads of tech, doesn't feel like the same old exhausting conversations of CLOCK SPEED🌩️ Cores 🧙‍♂️

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Oh lord, AMD is cracking me up today ~

AMD now says Ryzen 7000X3D is not launching on February 14th. AMD has just confirmed that February 14th is not the correct launch date for Ryzen 7000X3D chips. Yesterday, the company listed such a date for all the three X3D SKUs that were announced at CES, but the company has now ‘unlaunched’ its chips from this day:

“As you know, today AMD.com briefly published a launch date for the Ryzen 7000X3D Series Desktop processors; however, that date is incorrect. We have not confirmed a launch date at this time. We will provide updates on the expected availability of these processors at a future date”

— AMD Spokesman

AMD Ryzen 7000X3D series are therefore still coming officially in February, but even after this miscommunication, AMD has not provided the correct date. This means that the company is likely not ready to announce it at this point.

https://videocardz.com/newz/a-heartbreaking-mistake-amd-now-says-ryzen-7000x3d-is-not-launching-on-february-14th

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7000x3d-processors-not-released-on-the-14th.html

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/342239-amd-flip-flops-on-ryzen-7000-x3d-launch-date

https://www.eteknix.com/amd-delays-ryzen-7000x3d-feb-14th-release-date/

I will update the OP again.

3 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Oh lord, AMD is cracking me up today ~

AMD now says Ryzen 7000X3D is not launching on February 14th. AMD has just confirmed that February 14th is not the correct launch date for Ryzen 7000X3D chips. Yesterday, the company listed such a date for all the three X3D SKUs that were announced at CES, but the company has now ‘unlaunched’ its chips from this day:

Is it coincidence that AMD communications got worse after Robert left? Internal and external. RDNA3 slides, Dragon Reach/Phoenix slides, latest XTX promo video, now this. It's like he's the one that been holding them together all these years.  lol

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 1/6/2023 at 9:23 PM, BiG StroOnZ said:

Was watching GN's coverage of the livestream and came across this slide, which I haven't seen before:

7950X3D2.thumb.jpg.dc43f18a70e2f4cf1f890bff6258dd2e.jpg

Will add to OP, because I'm sure people are interested in seeing productivity advancements from the 3D V-Cache. 

That 7-zip speedup is quite fantastic. If it scales with other cache-starved applications, it will be a must-have.

38 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Is it coincidence that AMD communications got worse after Robert left? Internal and external. RDNA3 slides, Dragon Reach/Phoenix slides, latest XTX promo video, now this. It's like he's the one that been holding them together all these years.  lol

I would say it's not coincidence. Robert Hallock did a lot of things right. As far as I know they also haven't replaced his position yet either, director of technical marketing. So many of the issues you mention seem to fall in line with what that position would cover. Hopefully they find a competent replacement, however, in the mean time I'm wondering if we are going to see more of these type of mistakes in the future. 

Robert Hallock was definitely a crucial addition to the company, and I know he did a lot of interaction with the community as well. It's not impossible to think he's been the glue holding them together in many areas.

29 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

That 7-zip speedup is quite fantastic. If it scales with other cache-starved applications, it will be a must-have.

Yeah, I thought the improvements to 7-Zip were quite captivating and overall, many of the other speedups were notable too. It will be definitely interesting once they launch to see what other applications the V-Cache improves performance upon. However, I think what's most important with these 7000X3D parts is what they will cost. I'm wondering why AMD is not mentioning this yet. It seems odd, because if they were priced well and non-X3D parts get better pricing because of the X3D parts releasing; you would expect AMD to want to scream from the rooftops the pricing. 

12 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I think their communications have always been pretty lacking, even with Robert. 

The latest example I can think of was the Ryzen 7000 launch when different people gave different TDP/PPT numbers and they didn't label them, causing people to be confused. Then they didn't explain what AVX-512 features they supported even when asked about it straight they just went "we'll support some things like...". 

• 3 weeks later...

Seems prices and release date have been revealed (will update OP):

AMD announced retail availability from February 28, 2023 for the Ryzen 9 7950X3D and 7900X3D. The Ryzen 7 7800X3D launches on April 6, 2023. The Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-core/16-thread processor is priced at USD $449. The 12-core/24-thread Ryzen 9 7900X3D is priced at $599. The flagship 16-core/32-thread Ryzen 9 7950X3D is priced at $699.

image.thumb.png.334d31cbb66db49cf755e542e1443aeb.png

image.thumb.png.a1536ac0e0560fdf41f9fb413d7919ea.png

image.thumb.png.1aef453d635460874025874de35b182b.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/304315/amd-ryzen-7000x3d-series-prices-revealed-available-feb-28

3 hours ago, starsmine said:

image.thumb.png.334d31cbb66db49cf755e542e1443aeb.png

image.thumb.png.a1536ac0e0560fdf41f9fb413d7919ea.png

Ryzen 7 7800X3D April 6th 2023, $449USD
Ryzen 9 7900X3D Feb 28th 2023 $599USD
Ryzen 9 7950X3D Feb 28th 2023 $699USD

7800x3D the volume seller out here being pushed to right when q2 starts for what I have to assume is financial spread sheet reasons.

1 minute ago, starsmine said:

Wait, I posted in the wrong thread? son of a bitch.

Yeah, I tried to quote you from the other thread and post it here, but I'm not sure that's possible (or at least I don't know how to do it).

Either way, I saw the article on TPU originally. Around the same time you posted the info to that other thread.

4 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Yeah, I tried to quote you from the other thread and post it here, but I'm not sure that's possible (or at least I don't know how to do it).

Either way, I saw the article on TPU originally. Around the same time you posted the info to that other thread.

Multi quote or just copy and paste should work. Dont worry about it, Im the one who goofed

I wonder about the launch date of the 7800x3D, Q2 starts April 1st, so its a retail channel launch on April 6th (Thursday) makes me think they pushed it there just for spreadsheet reasons, as that entire launch window for what should be the highest volume and highest profit(?) x3d consumer chip would be on a new quarter, pumping those numbers up so investors dont see a drop off on that line from q1 to q2. 

7900x3D probably will be their lowest selling unit as for a workstation PC what is the difference between 2500 USD and 2600 USD, or whatever a PC with those chips would cost.

4 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Multi quote or just copy and paste should work. Dont worry about it, Im the one who goofed

I wonder about the launch date of the 7800x3D, Q2 starts April 1st, so its a retail channel launch on April 6th (Thursday) makes me think they pushed it there just for spreadsheet reasons, as that entire launch window for what should be the highest volume and highest profit(?) x3d consumer chip would be on a new quarter, pumping those numbers up so investors dont see a drop off on that line from q1 to q2. 

7900x3D probably will be their lowest selling unit as for a workstation PC what is the difference between 2500 USD and 2600 USD, or whatever a PC with those chips would cost.

Yeah, MultiQuote worked, Copy and Paste doesn't. I added your quote to the post. Giving credit where credit is due.

Regardless, the launch date of the 7800X3D is definitely interesting. Your theory makes sense, as I can't see many other reasons to delay it that long.

It could also be that people who were waiting for the 7000X3D chips will have to go for a 7900X3D or 7950X3D if they want to immediately gain access to the technology. Meaning, they will be paying much more money compared to a 7800X3D, meaning more profit for AMD. They might be trying to move more units of their flagship processors, and delaying the 7800X3D allows them to do that.

The price difference between the 7900X3D and 7950X3D doesn't really make too much sense. If you plan on getting a 7900X3D only $100 more gets you the 7950X3D, so that's an interesting pricing decision. This is probably why they are launching first, maybe people who were planning on getting the 7800X3D might go with the 7900X3D by stretching their budget and not wanting to wait until April. 

God the price of the 7900x3d is dog shit compared to the other two.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

17 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

What date format is this supposed to be? European style separators (full stops) but leading with the month? Why? Is AMD trying to make this as confusing as possible do they can launch their SKUs whenever they feel like it?

39 minutes ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

God the price of the 7900x3d is dog shit compared to the other two.

While I agree, I'm not sure what else they could have done. It's only $50 more than the launch price of the 7900X. Unless of course we are concluding that the 7900X launch price was not good.

23 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

What date format is this supposed to be? European style separators (full stops) but leading with the month? Why? Is AMD trying to make this as confusing as possible do they can launch their SKUs whenever they feel like it?

In American English you can also write the date in all-numeric, with periods as the separators. Then obviously because it's American styled; the month comes first, then the day, then the year.

I don't think they are trying to be deceptive, but it was an aesthetic choice; as with the full stops it does look more appealing compared to using the forward slash or hyphen as separators. 

23 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

In American English you can also write the date in all-numeric, with periods as the separators. Then obviously because it's American styled; the month comes first, then the day, then the year.

Of course. Why would the units be monotonically increasing or decreasing.