Hackintosh legality

I need to convince my dad somehow.

Even some really high-profile YouTubers have made Hackintoshes. LInus and Elrich from ToT just to name a few. If they haven't been taken to court, your Dad won't. Not to mention they make GPUs with Mac enabled BIOSes, which obviously have to go in something. It's not like Apple makes a PC that can house a GPU (anymore).

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

OSX is free, but not truly free. It still has a license of sorts... kind of. There's at least no activation process, so you're not really cracking it.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

So is it legal to have a personal hackintosh? Or is it only illegal to sell it? And has apple really cared to die anyone over a hackintosh. EDIT. MEANT SUE NOT DIE

NSA WILL PICK YOU UP AND EXECUTE YOU 

Within the EULA you may not install it on anything other than Apple branded hardware.

However if you did decide to then you would be violating the EULA.

I'm no lawyer, but the most I would see apple to be able to do would be to make you uninstall their software from that product.

I mean in court what could they actually sue you for if they wanted to? 

What you must remember is that it is not against the law to do this. It is against the EULA. The EULA is not the law.

I actually have no idea though, but this would be my point of view on it. 

I have never made a hackintosh, and none of the information I have provided is of any certainty.

This post is completely of my own opinion, and I take no responsibility for any reason, of any action, any other

user, person, or member for their use of any version of OSX on any non-Apple branded hardware. 

I take no responsibility for the actions of others for any reason or circumstance. 

(Feel like covering myself on a legal basis whenever I talk about this kind of stuff lol)

You can't dictate exactly what a customer can do with your product. I believe it's antitrust (not sure though, haven't studied corporations law yet).

The EULA is a contract, however, it is ineffective unless you have to click through it to pay for something. Many boxed games try to throw EULA crap on you after you've paid for things in the store.

What if you just build your rig OSX compatible and run Chameleon, default boot Windows 7 and have OSX installed incognito!?

Hackintosh's are basically loopholes, like any other loophole, it's not illegal and if Apple really cared they'd do something about it.

I think that Apple see's this on a large scale, their aren't that many people that are capable and willing to build a hackintosh and the amount of people that have built one are such a small percentage compared to all the apple computers that are sold in the world that it doesn't hurt them. 

It's legal in the UK, but not in the US, I believe due to the charter linking companies' EULA to the legality of using something.

It's to do with the law on companies putting their customers first in the UK and then putting their sareholders first in the US.

Therefore, Apple can sue you, but it's incredibly unlikely that they will.

Compatible with Windows 95

I need to convince my dad somehow.

show him the video Linus just did recently on the hackintosh he built

Looking for a job

It is not "illegal" there is no law about it

but it is against apples ToS and EULA, they COULD take you to court and sue you, they probably wouldn't. If you did its is highly unlikely the jury would be on your side, and you would most likely 99% fail to convince them you are right.

Is it worth it the risk? up to you. Personally if I wanted to run OSX I would just buy a mac.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's my personal build that I'm gonna build sometime in June so that's not the issue.

You won't go to court over a os install... Apple doesn't care enough

MKBHD had a whole 3 part, 45 minute long Hackintosh-Build series. Marques is a pretty smart guy and he wouldn't publicly post anything that's illegal on his channel. Off that alone, I'm assuming it's legal.

Calls it a xenon

Just do it. As said previously, Apple really wouldn't care enough. It would be an interesting project and I wish I could do the same... :D

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

The actual question is, what's going to happen even if it was illegal?

Nothing.

Who cares.

You need to be less paranoid ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I really don't want Apple to die me. That's a little scary.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

As far as I know it's legal my brother did it and he isn't dead or in court his friend tried to tell home that it was illegal (his friend also said that it took years to make one and he turned a dell laptop into one in about a week)

Also he said that if Apple wanted to make an example out of him, he would be the one in trouble

Well there are many great points here. The one thing that I have felt and see all the time is that the more time that passes with each OSX release it has become more and more easy to install OSX onto a non Apple computer hardware and its almost all vanilla now too with little tweeks. Lets  not forget that way back when Steve Jobs did go to Sonys CEO or VP (don't quote me on who he went to) that he did show them a working Sony Vaio with OSX on it but at the time nothing became of it. So that leads me to believe that yes prolly way deep in Apple Internal they have non Apple hardware running OSX onto it and I personally think that they are making OSX way more compatible with each launch maybe on purpose or to be secretly nice? lol. Remember not all Apple Engineers or Apple peeps inside are evil as everyone comes onto say.

Anyways to get back onto point I think it wouldn't be legal to install OSX into non Apple hardware because of the EULA BUT of course how can you enforce that these days? And NO Apple will not go busting down doors telling peeps not to hackintosh. lol. BUT they will go after a company that will sell hackintosh's for their advantage such as the Pystar Corp (Link to wiki page). 

But if your dad will say no either way then I guess there is not to much that anyone can say if he abides by the letter of the law, but trust me no one in Apple is going to do anything, even if you call into Apple asking support the worse they will say is no and that you need to get a real Mac.lol. Sorry this was so long but hopes it gives you a little more insight. 

Within the EULA you may not install it on anything other than Apple branded hardware.

However if you did decide to then you would be violating the EULA.

I'm no lawyer, but the most I would see apple to be able to do would be to make you uninstall their software from that product.

I mean in court what could they actually sue you for if they wanted to?

What you must remember is that it is not against the law to do this. It is against the EULA. The EULA is not the law.

I actually have no idea though, but this would be my point of view on it.

I have never made a hackintosh, and none of the information I have provided is of any certainty.

This post is completely of my own opinion, and I take no responsibility for any reason, of any action, any other

user, person, or member for their use of any version of OSX on any non-Apple branded hardware.

I take no responsibility for the actions of others for any reason or circumstance.

(Feel like covering myself on a legal basis whenever I talk about this kind of stuff lol)

Even though this probably has some incorrect points I'll tell by dad and see

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

If you purchase an install disk from apple, Then install it using a boot drive (Like the old ones I remember from OS X 10.5.5)

That's definitely not illegal as long as you're purchasing it.

For starters they're not going to know about it anyway if you install it on compatible hardware.

I remember running a Snow Leopard one on VMware, I asked a friend to borrow his update disk and it worked a treat.

Remember: Purchase it and it should be fine.

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

If you purchase an install disk from apple, Then install it using a boot drive (Like the old ones I remember from OS X 10.5.5)

That's definitely not illegal as long as you're purchasing it.

For starters they're not going to know about it anyway if you install it on compatible hardware.

I remember running a Snow Leopard one on VMware, I asked a friend to borrow his update disk and it worked a treat.

Remember: Purchase it and it should be fine.

Still goes against the Eula

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

You can buy Hitmen on the internet, i don't think anyone will bat an eye if you build a Hackintosh 

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

It's probably illegal, but that's why it's got all those pirate lookin' logos. What fun is it if you care about legality?

Rules are there to be broken :-)

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Apply a cheap Apple sticker and you're good to go. Apple gets pissy when OS X isn't on something "Apple Branded".

Loopholes!

I need to know if it's legal for personal use. My dad won't let me do a hackintosh because he saw that you cannot install Mac osx on a non apple computer (EULA)

There's your answer right there in the EULA, but coming to a forum to ask the general public what they feel is not a way to circumvent the EULA. Yea, others are doing it so its OK? :huh: 

By that adage people are doing a lot of bad things so by your justification of violating the EULA do those other bad things as well, others are doing it after all.

Then, I can add the forum's feel bad comment: If you use it will the content creators be hurt or not get their money to produce more of this content.

Yea, Apple will lose revenue the same way LTT loses revenue if you use ad-block so tit for tat.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I think the only illegal issue is that the EULA you agree too when you install Mac OS states that you will only install it on approved hardware which the Hack-in-tosh is not. So technically you're violating the EULA which means you're technically not legally using the software. But I don't think anyone would take action against you unless you were intentionally selling the systems pre-loaded with the software.

Jerry (aka. Barnacules)

Barnacules Nerdgasm  B) 

[YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook]

OMG Barnacules is on the forum :) so excited. Sorry OP that this has nothing to do with whatever you wanted to know

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

I think the only illegal issue is that the EULA you agree too when you install Mac OS states that you will only install it on approved hardware which the Hack-in-tosh is not. So technically you're violating the EULA which means you're technically not legally using the software. But I don't think anyone would take action against you unless you were intentionally selling the systems pre-loaded with the software.

Plus, if you are in Europe, EULAs are worth about the same as single-ply toilet paper in a court of law. The worst they can do is revoke the licence, but I very much doubt they'd sue you for it (if they can).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II