Alex & Tynan - A Recipe For Disaster

ebmusicman84

I've been a fan for a long time, but the most recent Intel Upgrade has me extremely concerned.

The cavalierness with which they treated the very very deadly amounts of electricity in the induction smelter is dangerous for two reasons.

First and most obviously, while they both seem to know what they are doing, they were still behaving pretty recklessly which could easily lead to either of them or someone else that works at LMG getting seriously injured, killed, or causing serious property damage for LMG (likely fire).  Now it is absolutely possible that they really were observing all the proper safety procedures and no lives or property were at risk, but the video seemed to go to lengths to present them as some kind of electricity cowboys, which leads me to my second problem.

It doesn't matter how many "don't try this at home" warnings you plaster on videos.  If you show people who supposedly know what they're doing behaving in a reckless way it will encourage other people (who don't know what they're doing) to behave in the same way.  All it takes is one person getting an idea from your video and getting themselves killed or burning their house down.  The "don't try this at home" labels might protect you from legal liability, but it absolutely doesn't absolve you of your moral obligation your audience.

they didnt explain anyone how to actually do it, and actually.. the worst thing that happened was that they almost tripped a breaker.

also, explain to me how one may get the idea to copy this tangient vaguely shown in an intel extreme update video without actually explaining how it works past some big caps and an almost molten toroid...

when there's douzens of videos plastered all over youtube with guides for how to make these.

the most dangerous thing portrayed in this video is the extension cord with a 'normal' 110V plug that's actually 220V.

I think people worry too much these days. It was one of the few videos in the last year that I actually enjoyed and gave a "like". Granted I don't watch too many LTT videos anyways, this particular one caught my eye since Linus wasn't the host for one of these extreme makeovers.

Anyways, back to building a super capacitor.

1 hour ago, ebmusicman84 said:

It doesn't matter how many "don't try this at home" warnings you plaster on videos.

Pretty sure if you want to find something stupid dangerous on YouTube, it's pretty easy to find. I wouldn't be surprised to find How To videos for making DIY induction smelters.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

The video gives zero info on how to actually build a setup like this for anyone to imitate. You may as well complain that a video on how a nuclear reactor works is dangerous because people might watch it and try to build one at home. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I just took a look for context….

The sentiment of the footage is “Look how funny and entertaining it is to goof around with extreme, deadly amounts of electricity!”

So, I’d agree with OP that putting out that kind of message is pretty reckless.

If it was educational in nature, the argument that it’s not a big deal would make perfect sense. But it’s not educational, it’s just them framing stupidly dangerous behavior as fun and games. That’s the problematic part.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

37 minutes ago, Roswell said:

If it was educational in nature, the argument that it’s not a big deal would make perfect sense. But it’s not educational, it’s just them framing stupidly dangerous behavior as fun and games. That’s the problematic part.

Yes this was the main thrust of my complaint.  Apologies if it didn't come across very well.

I didn't think they were behaving recklessly. They kept their distance, didn't stuck their hands in anywhere, showed why capacitors are dangerous and didn't do anything stupid. From my standpoint they were treating the big box of death with respect. Did they seem cavalier, sure but they weren't being stupid. And they did mention and show why what they were messing with was dangerous. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

5 hours ago, Middcore said:

The video gives zero info on how to actually build a setup like this for anyone to imitate. You may as well complain that a video on how a nuclear reactor works is dangerous because people might watch it and try to build one at home. 

You don't even need YouTube

Just went to watch the part on this.
Honestly, they didn't do anything "wrong" per se as far as immediate safety goes.
It would be common practice to close that chassis before lighting it up, but other than that, they didn't stick their hands where it doesn't belong, they wore protection glasses just in case... Had a breaker, likely some fuses here and there that they didn't show?
They acknowledged the plug being inadequate, even if the wiring itself is good, but it was supervised and not something deployed away from the sight. Which is fine when you test something quickly and shut it down quickly. They unplugged it before touching it and still kept away from the capacitors.

Yes they thing Tynan created is... A monster... But it's still a perfectly viable electronic project thing that can be made if you're insane enough and got the know how. It's not something anyone could do. I sure couldn't do that and I'm literally studying industrial electronics so these huge 600V capacitors are nothing new to me, seen plenty of them.

IMO, they were as safe as they could be for this project without a lineman suit and the only ones at risk were Tynan and Alex. No one else would be touching anything in there and I doubt they would've let them touch.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro