DirectX 12, Direct Storage 1.1 is coming this year? to take your SSDs!

Summary

Microsoft announced to have directstorage out this year? with GPU decompression.

Using more of your GPU, less CPU and more usage for storage devices.

"To get a more tangible sense for the possibilities, we built a highly optimized sample (below). It shows that when DirectStorage is running with GPU decompression vs CPU decompression, scenes are loading nearly 3x faster and the CPU is almost entirely freed up to be used for other game processes."

Avocados are dancing. GPU with GDeflate (left) loading in 0.8 seconds vs CPU with Zlib (right) loading in 2.36 seconds

Quotes

DirectStorage enabled games installed on NVMe drives should expect to see reductions in load times by up to 40%. After enhancing this part of the pipeline, developers will want to improve decompression performance next.

With DirectStorage 1.1, we present a new compression format, contributed by NVIDIA, called GDeflate.

To Note
- DirectStorage games will work on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, but there are additional optimizations in the IO stack available to Windows 11 users

- Any DirectX 12 capable GPU that supports Shader Model 6.0 will be able to take advantage of the new feature, we recommend a DX12 Ultimate capable card.

My thoughts

Finally we might see some that direct storage people wanted to see, but has to be added and maybe updated in most directx 12 titles.

Sources

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-1-1-coming-soon/

Another sauce: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17613/microsoft-directstorage-11-with-gpu-decompression-finally-on-its-way

Note it is getting to devs this year, who knows how long it'll be until it is in a game you'd want to have. Maybe there'll be some tech demos sooner, but it could be some way off yet.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Would it be difficult for existing games to be patched to make the appropriate DX12 calls to take advantage of this?

There are very few new technologies these days that make one think "That's so obvious, why didn't we think of that before?!" and even fewer advancements that provide such an enormous potential boost to current standards in just a single product generation.  

DirectStorage ticks both of those boxes.  Really looking forward to seeing what it can do in the next few years.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

23 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Would it be difficult for existing games to be patched to make the appropriate DX12 calls to take advantage of this?

If a game isn't designed with this feature in mind, you'll probably not see much advantage outside of maybe faster load times.

The real benfit comes from being able to load large assets at runtime, so you could have much more detailed models/textures for open world games. That would likely make it unusable for people with HDDs.

Pretty sure the engine/game needs to be designed around this feature, not something you can easily tack on after the fact.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I think the impact for PC games will not be as big as it is for consoles though. If you think about it your average 2022 gaming build will have 32GB of RAM and 8-16GB of VRAM, when consoles have 16 combined RAM. PC's can have slower storage and compensate by stuffing more things into RAM/VRAM. 

This feature will come alive when next-gen consoles come out, which is still very far away.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Meanwhile, 1.0 still has basically zero adoption. "We swear you'll be able to use it eventually"

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Summary

Microsoft announced to have directstorage out this year? with GPU decompression.

Using more of your GPU, less CPU and more usage for storage devices.

"To get a more tangible sense for the possibilities, we built a highly optimized sample (below). It shows that when DirectStorage is running with GPU decompression vs CPU decompression, scenes are loading nearly 3x faster and the CPU is almost entirely freed up to be used for other game processes."

Avocados are dancing. GPU with GDeflate (left) loading in 0.8 seconds vs CPU with Zlib (right) loading in 2.36 seconds

Quotes

My thoughts

Finally we might see some that direct storage people wanted to see, but has to be added and maybe updated in most directx 12 titles.

Sources

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-1-1-coming-soon/

This is partially why I have started suggesting PCIE4 SSD's to people for new builds

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Forspoken is supposed to support directstorage but they pushed it to January 24th.  If we can start seeing more titles they will overallocate VRAM with directstorage buffer I can get more use out of my 24GB 🙂

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Interesting that they are about to release version 1.1 when 1.0 is, as far as I am aware, not used in any games yet. 

It's good that they are improving things, but it's hard to get excited for something that was announced over 2 years ago that still does not have any adoption.

I am not sure I buy the whole "games needs to be designed from the group up around it so we won't see it for a while" argument either, since even games not designed around it would see benefits from my understanding of it.

Oh well, let's hope we start seeing games use it soon. 

15 hours ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

This is partially why I have started suggesting PCIE4 SSD's to people for new builds

There is no need to get a PCIe 4.0 SSD to take advantage of this.

There are plenty of PCIe 3.0 SSDs that will work just fine, and potentially even better than some PCIe 4.0 drives. Don't get too caught up on the PCIe generation when looking at SSDs.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Interesting that they are about to release version 1.1 when 1.0 is, as far as I am aware, not used in any games yet. 

That made me ask the question, what was version 1.0 offering? Regardless, I have to wonder are we yet at the point where game devs disregard optimising for HD entirely, and make better use of SSDs combined with directstorage. Even if at a basic level it offers no more than faster loading times, I'll take it.

Edit: to answer myself, from the Anandtech link earlier:

Earlier this year Microsoft rolled out DirectStorage 1.0, which implemented the I/O batching improvements, but not the GPU decompression capabilities. This is where DirectStorage 1.1 will come in, as it will finally be enabling the second (and most important) aspect of DirectStorage for PCs.

I don't know how much 1.0 alone would have helped, but 1.1 sounds like it should really offer significant improvements once supported.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Finally, the missing part that 2as needed because no point to it without GPU decompression. Now for this to finally roll out and devs starting to use it. 

The new soon to release WoW expansion is bumping sys req specs and. It already used DX12 and highly recommended SSD new req require DX12 and SSD I take it. Maybe it will work on HDD we'll see. But makes sense for them to use DS for this game. It always benefited from SSD though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

23 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

we built a highly optimized sample (below)

Any speedup is welcome, of course, but the use of the words highly optimised sample do plant some slight uncertainty. If highly optmised means 3x, what kind of speed up can we expect in an average case?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Modern games rely on engines, in-house or third-party. There is also R&D that is needed to know how to properly take advantage of such a feature.

As a result, we can only expect games 4-5 years from Direct Storage release before we start to see games with it. Make that 3 years for it to just check the box, similar fashion to Ray Tracing in games or when a new DirectX version is out, and actual proper implementation only a few years later.

Heck, even the PS5 only has 1 game that uses the equivalent technology of the console and that is a Sony game: Rachet & Clank, which, being a demo of the feature, had hands on of the APIs and console quite early and have a lot of help (financially and engineering) from Sony to the studio to make this feature be utilize.

What is needed in the PC space is a big game title like Crysis, that would act as a tech demo of the feature and sale well.  This will boost studio justification to their investors and publishers on the resources needed in getting that "much needed feature" for future games. Like Crysis who not only brought detailed visuals, but also plants and trees that react with the player as they touch/interact with it. Now, this is a common feature in big, high budget games. It passed from "nice to have" to "We MUST have it... Infact, the requirement comes from the publisher itself who is funding the game!"

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

we can only expect games 4-5 years from Direct Storage release before we start to see games with it. Make that 3 years for it to just check the box, similar fashion to Ray Tracing in games or when a new DirectX version is out, and actual proper implementation only a few years later.

I'm hoping some will take advantage of low hanging fruit long before then. If I understand it correctly, one such scenario is to offload to GPU what is currently done with CPU, and if that offers a tangible reduction in loading time I'll take it. This doesn't sound as challenging as making games dynamically load more.

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Modern games rely on engines, in-house or third-party. There is also R&D that is needed to know how to properly take advantage of such a feature.

As a result, we can only expect games 4-5 years from Direct Storage release before we start to see games with it. Make that 3 years for it to just check the box, similar fashion to Ray Tracing in games or when a new DirectX version is out, and actual proper implementation only a few years later.

I thought Unreal 5 Nanite used DirectStorage to load geometry faster. If they don't use it, it is even crazier it works that well.

24 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

I thought Unreal 5 Nanite used DirectStorage to load geometry faster. If they don't use it, it is even crazier it works that well.

I don't think any games that uses Nanite is out yet?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's good that they are improving things, but it's hard to get excited for something that was announced over 2 years ago that still does not have any adoption.

Developers may have chosen not to adopt something if the benefits aren't good enough for the effort. Adoption takes time but I suspect it's the former, I don't think 1.0 really had much value personally.

28 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I don't think any games that uses Nanite is out yet?

I believe that is the case, but there are Nanite demos out and it is fantastic.

6 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Finally, the missing part that 2as needed because no point to it without GPU decompression. Now for this to finally roll out and devs starting to use it. 

The new soon to release WoW expansion is bumping sys req specs and. It already used DX12 and highly recommended SSD new req require DX12 and SSD I take it. Maybe it will work on HDD we'll see. But makes sense for them to use DS for this game. It always benefited from SSD though. 

Unless the textured assets are in GDeflate format, then it won't be utilizing DS 1.1.

The vast backwards compatibility of GDeflate means that game devs can essentially hit the ground running here on DX12 games – anything worth running a new game on is going to support DirectStorage and GDeflate – but the fact that it involves game assets means that full DirectStorage 1.1 support cannot be trivially added to existing games. Developers would need to redistribute (or otherwise recompress) game assets for GDeflate, which is certainly do-able, but would require gamers to re-download a large part of a game. So gamers should plan on seeing DirectStorage 1.1 arrive as a feature in future games, rather than backported into existing games. -Anandtech

IMHO, I think it would be trivial for games to be backported and offered in Steam as one of two formats; original, and DS 1.1 optimized.

21 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Unless the textured assets are in GDeflate format, then it won't be utilizing DS 1.1.

While nothing official yet, they probably will do it eventually if it's not on release. They mentioned multiple times already about SSD improvements for the game. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

41 minutes ago, StDragon said:

IMHO, I think it would be trivial for games to be backported and offered in Steam as one of two formats; original, and DS 1.1 optimized.

Not sure where that quote is from but that argument for why we won't see it backported sounds like BS to me.

Sure, people would have to redownload the game if they wanted to take advantage of the faster load times, but only people who already had the game installed would have to do that.

Just make it so that "from now on, anyone who downloads the game will get faster load times". Simple. People with the game already installed won't get affected, and everyone who download the game from now on gets to benefit from faster load times and lower CPU usage. It's win-win. The people who already had the game installed can choose to uninstall and reinstall it if they want as well.

33 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not sure where that quote is from but that argument for why we won't see it backported sounds like BS to me.

From Anandtech published yesterday.

The Steam client already has insight into a client's PC specs. It would be real easy to offer the DS 1.1 optimized version as the default download. In fact, I'll go so far as to say there could be far more DS 1.1 backported titles available than new DS 1.1 only releases for the first few years.

9 hours ago, tikker said:

Any speedup is welcome, of course, but the use of the words highly optimised sample do plant some slight uncertainty. If highly optmised means 3x, what kind of speed up can we expect in an average case?

It's the sample the use, so yes it wont be like that. but you could likely see 2x performance increase when it comes to loading etc. Using more of your SSD and less CPU. At least something around that mark, although troubleshooting and to make it work would take time, and to make it work as it should (more so if the game was done without it from the start). Some devs really want to have an easier time with shaders, as both intel and nvidia having their shader reordering/management so if one could make easier use for shaders too, which can become complicated with more you add.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:41 AM, LapsedMemory said:

"That's so obvious, why didn't we think of that before?!"

Spinning drives typically