PC Building Disasters & Close Calls

Geekazoid

Hi guys,

As the title indicates, have you had any disasters or close calls when building your rig? :D

If you have, please share them. :D

EDIT: Modified thread title because it was kind of ridiculous and updated this post accordingly.

Edited by Geekazoid

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I built my first pc a week ago, I dropped a screw inside of the asus thermal armour, I lost a screw, I broke my hard drive.  I broke the optical drive lock.  

I also dropped the cpu heatsink, so its all scratched :(

well my butterfingers attacked and i almost drop my GPU into the ceramic floor of the apartment, id saved it by holding on the pci bracket with just 2 fingers, that the only close call i had luckily 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

well recently i just broke off a sata port off of my motherboard, and bent some capacitors on it, but everything still works

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

I dropped my pc after having spent 4 hours doing cablemanagement, nothing happened but it sounded horrible.

i cried.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Arrrr,

The tale I'm about to tell ye will rattle yer bones,

Me and me hearty crew we was sailing the mediterranean, when all of a sudden a gust of wind picked up me PC and tossed it overboard.

I be sending anyone of me scallywag crew overboard in an attempt to recover me PC. Alas it was to no avail.

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

I had an AIO liquid CPU cooler spring a leak and start dripping on my GPU. The only reason anything survived was because I was playing Skyrim on max settings and my GPU was overheating. The excess heat caused all of the dripping coolant to evaporate before it could cause a short. And then of course I ripped out the power cord as soon as I heard the hissing sound, because there is no situation where a hissing computer is a good thing.  :D

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

When I switched over from an LGA775 to an LGA1150 mobo it took me an hour to actually realize that my CPU cooler was set only to fit LGA775 mobo CPU cooler holes, I had to check the cooler manual on how to fix this issue.

I felt really stupid after and laughed really hard at myself  :lol:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

Tried pushing my HDD back in to the dock when the SSD and HDD were on the sam cord and in the bay right above the other. It broke the sata power on the SDD, Luckaly I had another cord for SATA power. :D

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

I built my first pc a week ago, I dropped a screw inside of the asus thermal armour, I lost a screw, I broke my hard drive.  I broke the optical drive lock.  

I also dropped the cpu heatsink, so its all scratched :(

Congratulations, you are now one of us (and by one of us I mean a P.C. enthusiast).

I fried a GPU trying to install an i/o back plate cover while the machine was running. I would have been okay but I'd been working on the thing all day and all night and when I laid down to fit the plate I kind of drifted off to sleep for a second and was woken up by the smell of the mystic blue smoke being released from my graphics card.

A couple of days ago I cut my knuckle pulling a molex out of a DOA hotswap drive-bay I've got to RMA. It came free with such force my hand flew backwards and I sliced my knuckle open on the edge of my tactical tracer RAM. I hit a small blood vessel because it bled a lot and had to put a plaster on my finger-joint so I couldn't bend it properly for a day or so. Luckily my RAM's okay but I've got an indent in my knuckle the shape of the pattern on the edge of Crucial's Tactical tracer RAM sticks. 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I bent a pin inside of the USB 3.0 header on my old Maximus V Gene. Took me forever to figure out why my USB ports wouldn't work.

Not looking 100%, rushed,.....& Plugging a PCIE 6pin into the Motherboard 4pin

New motherboard sized paperweight, Awesome!

Never lost a single drop of blood doing your tech work?, your doing it wrong!!!

:)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Had tea short out a gpu an then almost had the replacement gpu short out with cream soda. The tea got spilt and poured into my case, i was surprised i didn't kill anything else. Found dried tea on spare psy connectors behind the mobo tray, there was tea just millimeters from going into the cpu socket, small pools on the i/o components, even the ram sockets had some tea around them. About after 2 months the cade everything began to small really bad, and i had to buy a new one.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I yoloed with an old case and Asrock board and plugged wires in wrong (on Purpose) and the wire casing melted 

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I broke 3 standoffs on my first case ever... but it was the cheapest case in existence

Other than that, it's been smooth sailing because I'm careful. I've dropped screws under chipset heat sinks and stuff, but they always come out before anyting gets powered

I had 3 old amd athlon xp series cpus and motherboards, I attempted to Frankenstein one system together for beast performance. probably no more than 300 MHz difference between processors.

CPU & heatsink install went ok, no issues, remembered thermal paste

placed the motherboard directly on metal side panel and powered on the motherboard.

I successfully shorted and killed 3 motherboards and CPUs in less than 2 hours.

R.I.P amd athlon xp 3200, my first DIY build.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

@WoodenMarker, Thanks mate!

Worst thing by far was my ankle when making Rad mounts.  Hole saw kicked and went after my nearby leg.

500x1000px-LL-6c863d6a_198659_4217636730

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

@deafboy, OUCH! Boy, that must've hurt. Is it all good now, I'm guessing it would've left quite a scar?

Actually didn't hurt at all.  Well, until the next day after the ER and stitches.  Hurt like a son of a b____ to walk.  But yeah, got a nice little scar as a reminder :)

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Do we have NSFW tags? that image needs some.

anyway. my first PC disaster was when I decided to do a thorough cleaning job on my old packard bell desktop. I really didn't know what I was doing and decided that the heatsink was so dusty I needed to take it off to clean it, so I did. I then realised that I couldn't re-attach it as the screws were sprung and I couldn't figure out how it should be done. So I started reading up on how to replace heatsinks, learned about thermal paste and bought my first aftermarket cooler (ASUS axe square, i thought it looked cool and it was being sold off) 

In a way screwing up make me realise that I liked messing with computer hardware, and here i am now with my own self built rig.

Bent a few pins in the socket, took me about 2 hours sorting that out.
Other than that I just really bad luck with components. Had to send half of them off to get ones that actually worked.

Worst thing by far was my ankle when making Rad mounts.  Hole saw kicked and went after my nearby leg.

<ouchie>

Was, was that your knee?

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

It was a couple of years ago

i was installing my new Core2Quad and i put it the other way around and almost broke both the mobo and the cpu :o