Mom's against computers

AMD Lover

I showed the average salary of computer engineers (what I want to become) and that shut them up lol

Yeah, i have a feeling that wouldnt do it with mine

No, it's not in her right to do that. My mom is the exact same way. I always tell her that my computer is not fast enough to play the games I want but she thinks it's fine. She doesn't understand the technical part of it, only the money part, if that makes any sense.

Yep it does

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

I think this applies to technology in general. Autos, computers, phones, networking, video games, etc. My parents don't like me still playing video games or the notion of me wanting to build a gaming PC; I see video games as entertainment and a form of art, which is pretty much what books, films, other media, and art in general are along with the occasional moral and educational merits. Here's the thing, I think it's okay if you buy or upgrade stuff in a reasonable time. Upgrading a PC every 3 to 5 years is okay; upgrading a PC every time a newer and more powerful piece of tech is not. Like, say you have a Titan and the Titan Black is announced. Jumping from the Titan to a Titan Black is not enough of a performance boost to warrant spending another grand or so for a workstation GPU and having the "latest and greatest".

Now, getting a new car after 10 or so years of success and work is okay, even if the current car runs just fine. Hey, maybe you just want a new car. Buying a new car every freaking year or every six months. Hell no. Are you crazy? I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone doing that right now. Buying the newest phone is kind of stupid too especially if it's not much better than the older phone. Y'know, like those people who buy the latest iPhone even though they barely owned the previous one and don't do anything besides text.

This could be said with anything from clothes, beds, backpacks, watches, etc. My mom has a habit of buying tons of clothes that are "on sale". Most of my clothes used to and still are from like the '90s since she bought them for "cheap". First off, some of them are out of style. Some of them aren't even my size - some are way too big or way to small. Most of them aren't my style - I hate wearing bright colors, whites, branded, and logo'd clothes, leather, and those itchy, static-y fabrics. I just like looking plain, casual, and out of the way. No, you have to look like some time traveler, hipster, or fancy, prim, and proper asshat. So, most of them don't get worn and most I think, were thrown out. Yeah, talk about "saving". Also, I don't like having a tons of clothes. 10 to 14 shirts is more than enough in case something stupid happens with the washing machine. Nope, gotta have a shirt for every day of the year... Jaysus... At least she's stopped and asks to buy shoes for me since I apparently have teeth for toes and walk on burning coal everyday.

Hmm, I remember hating jeans because my uncle bought me those stupid skinny jeans BS - he also has the same issue like my mom. Why are those even popular? They're so restricting.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

No, it's not in her right to do that.

Yes it is.

Mum bought me a Razer Blade 14 for xmas, and now we need to replace our desktop as it's getting pretty slow and in need of an upgrade. She complained that she's spent $10k on computers in the past 8 years and thinks it's getting out of hand. I do agree with her that it's expensive, but I can't do anything about it.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

I think this applies to technology in general. Autos, computers, phones, networking, video games, etc. My parents don't like me still playing video games or the notion of me wanting to build a gaming PC; I see video games as entertainment and a form of art, which is pretty much what books, films, other media, and art in general are along with the occasional moral and educational merits. Here's the thing, I think it's okay if you buy or upgrade stuff in a reasonable time. Upgrading a PC every 3 to 5 years is okay; upgrading a PC every time a newer and more powerful piece of tech is not. Like, say you have a Titan and the Titan Black is announced. Jumping from the Titan to a Titan Black is not enough of a performance boost to warrant spending another grand or so for a workstation GPU and having the "latest and greatest".

Now, getting a new car after 10 or so years of success and work is okay, even if the current car runs just fine. Hey, maybe you just want a new car. Buying a new car every freaking year or every six months. Hell no. Are you crazy? I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone doing that right now. Buying the newest phone is kind of stupid too especially if it's not much better than the older phone. Y'know, like those people who buy the latest iPhone even though they barely owned the previous one and don't do anything besides text.

This could be said with anything from clothes, beds, backpacks, watches, etc. My mom has a habit of buying tons of clothes that are "on sale". Most of my clothes used to and still are from like the '90s since she bought them for "cheap". First off, some of them are out of style. Some of them aren't even my size - some are way too big or way to small. Most of them aren't my style - I hate wearing bright colors, whites, branded, and logo'd clothes, leather, and those itchy, static-y fabrics. I just like looking plain, casual, and out of the way. No, you have to look like some time traveler, hipster, or fancy, prim, and proper asshat. So, most of them don't get worn and most I think, were thrown out. Yeah, talk about "saving". Also, I don't like having a tons of clothes. 10 to 14 shirts is more than enough in case something stupid happens with the washing machine. Nope, gotta have a shirt for every day of the year... Jaysus... At least she's stopped and asks to buy shoes for me since I apparently have teeth for toes and walk on burning coal everyday.

Hmm, I remember hating jeans because my uncle bought me those stupid skinny jeans BS - he also has the same issue like my mom. Why are those even popular? They're so restricting.

Yep completely agree but i also want to get my computer to a certain point before i leave it. Right now the GPU (Which i did order), the CPU and motherboard, power supply all of that is fine. Basically i want 2x SSD's ($139.99), 1TB HDD (~$100), and a custom loop (~$500). Then i would be completely okay with leaving the thing for at least 4yrs

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| F@H STATS |

Mum bought me a Razer Blade 14 for xmas, and now we need to replace our desktop as it's getting pretty slow and in need of an upgrade. She complained that she's spent $10k on computers in the past 8 years and thinks it's getting out of hand. I do agree with her that it's expensive, but I can't do anything about it.

Yeah i mean i've spent almost $3000 in 2yrs. I mean thats a lot of money but shiz is expensive

| F@H STATS |

My Mother won't allow me to buy any computer components as she says she doesn't know enough about it and to go ask my Father, and when I do he doesn't even question my purchase and just puts his hand out for the money and gets me it.

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

It's not. 

When your parents are still claiming you on taxes, it is.

When your parents are still claiming you on taxes, it is.

We can fight if you want, I don't mind.

There's nothing to fight over. :)

There's nothing to fight over. :)

Then stop arguing with me. Respect my opinion and get over it.

Let's all be friends here :)

Yeah, i have a feeling that wouldnt do it with mine

Yep it does

$100,920 Show them that number lol

Unlike a lot of people, I don't really want a super expensive SSD or huge HDD or some stupid CPU.

I've noticed that I've kept under 100 Gb used on my HDD at all times.  So upgrading is pointless especially

when what I have can run the games I play fast enough anyways.  Buying expensive products have been 

Proven pointless over the last few years because theres always some "great and new rebranded product" coming

out soon

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Yep completely agree but i also want to get my computer to a certain point before i leave it. Right now the GPU (Which i did order), the CPU and motherboard, power supply all of that is fine. Basically i want 2x SSD's ($139.99), 1TB HDD (~$100), and a custom loop (~$500). Then i would be completely okay with leaving the thing for at least 4yrs

The sad part is, I don't ask for anything expensive and if I do, it's very rare. The most expensive thing I have asked for was a manual transmission car which my parents and pretty much the rest of my family felt was a bad idea. Anyway, the older Honda was dying - it was a 1993, and this one is a 2002. So with selling the '93, the cost was under $4000. That's not like asking your parents for a new +14 grand car of having your parents buy you a new BMW. Anyway, I kind of regret not buying the Mazda Miata for about the same price and missing the Acura RSX Type-S. Oh well, but there's one thing I learned: I will never buy an auto for as long as I can. I don't care if my leg has to die during traffic; driving an auto is boring and leaves so little control in your hands. Sure, we have traction control and stuff like that, but I don't believe we should be dependent on technology to do everything for us, instead, technology should help us (in our times of need) or work with us.

The PC I'm asking for is $600 to $700 because of cost of the OS. With a potential job at a auto shop, I might be able to meet halfway or outright get a $800 PC. Well, time will tell.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Yeah i mean i've spent almost $3000 in 2yrs. I mean thats a lot of money but shiz is expensive

You have $3,000 bucks but no money for a computer.....

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

That's normal for a caring/loving mother. They're just stating their feelings and those were their opinions. Most of our mothers would never understand why most of us upgrade our hardware, buy aftermarket motorcycle parts, etc. The point is our mothers think, 'why would you buy a new cpu if you have already one and its working just fine'

well it works just fine with her EXCELS and WORDS but it doesnt on our Star Citizen. Most of everyone's mothers manage their families' budgets, so even its our money they tend to tell us what they think is good for us. my mother is like that too and I raise my voice always when answering. I feel bad now. xD

I7-2600k (back to stock lol) + Noctua NH-D14 | Asus GTX 560 DC | Asus P8Z68 V/GEN3 | G.Skill RipjawsX 1333 Mhz 2x4 GB

CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer | ThermalTake ToughPower Grand 750W | LG IPS237L | Razer BlackWidow 2013 | Razer Electra

[WD Caviar Blue 500 GB | Hitachi 260 GB | Seagate 120 GB | Toshiba 300 GB] <Generic mousepad & a wireless Logitech mouse T_T>

Ignorance is bliss it seems.

My mom says she's fine with it because she gets it being a hobby, she even says my dad was the same way. My dad figured out it was a waste of money, so he's upset when I buy something.

They're mostly OK with it because I've taken such a ridiculous degree of it that they respect my knowledge. I could tell either parents what parts my rig is made of, my mom would question what those numbers meant, but my dad might recognize AMD and ASRock.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Your mum has a point. Buying a high end graphics card is a total money sink. And what will the gain be? A slightly higher resolution or a few more frames per second? It's a purchase solely for playing games, which comes from desirability not necessity. It's not vital to your future career. You won't learn much from slotting in another gpu and installing some drivers.

This argument is based on the assumption that you already have a reasonably capable gpu.

My parents never bought me a PC game, a piece for my computer or encouraged my hobby in any way.

They closest they got was a desk that I could put my computer on.

#Man-Up

I have to work for my money and then pay my mom for the stuff! :'( I had to sell my computers and pay my mom $2,000 for my phone and my computer! I convince my mom to allow me to pay her back by talking in the way she does, she has REALLY old friends and she knows nothing about computers, but lots about cars.

So I explain to her slowly what a graphics card does like what a similar thing does to a car.   

My mom thinks im crazy and computers is killing children, my mom thinks the next generation will live for 10 years and will not know how to do anything.  I tell me mom, "I BET YOUR MOTHER SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT THE TV!"

It's tempting to think the prob your Mum has is basically ignorance of what these computer things do. It's more based on this kind of thing:

• Long years of experience on how to behave regarding the spending of money when you're probably in a situation of relative ignorance 1) don't admit the ignorance part and 2) don't spend the money, especially if someone (anyone) says you should! (think about pushy salesmen)
  • Whoever got the money in the first place has the right to learn by their own mistakes so they end up with the long years of experience mentioned above
  • Not learning by your own mistakes means you mostly have no money

They're obvious, yep.

Parent's know a $600 (I know it was someone else who said $600 but it's good for this example) graphics card isn't worth it, not because they know what a graphics card is but because they know what a waste is and what it feels like after you realise it was a waste - actually owning a $600 Gfx card is embarrassing...

It appears they don't know what they're on about because they don't (about the graphics card) but neither do you (about avoiding making ridiculous purchases for not very good reasons).

I'm not saying any of the stuff you want is ridiculous - might be well within the price/performance sweet-spot but the fact that they don't know that coupled with the two initial points above means you need to go work as many hours a week as you can find so it is up to you

If I was really as wise as I'm trying to sound I could have said all that in about three lines.

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe

You're 15 and practically begging a parent to support a hobby they have zero interest in. In her mind, you're probably coming off as a bit annoying and someone who is careless with money. Think of it from her perspective. I'm old enough to be a father and if I had a teen pestering me for something that I had no interest in that required money out of my own pocket, I'd tell them to buy things themselves.

Long story short, get a job instead of pestering your mom with things she doesn't understand. This will get you nowhere fast. When you buy something with your own money, people can't tell you a thing as you're the one who earned it. Like Linus, I wasn't given mad PC stuff when I was younger, in fact, I was lucky we even had a crappy HP box running a Pentium 4.

#firstworldproblems

You're 15 and practically begging a parent to support a hobby they have zero interest in. In her mind, you're probably coming off as a bit annoying and someone who is careless with money. Think of it from her perspective. I'm old enough to be a father and if I had a teen pestering me for something that I had no interest in that required money out of my own pocket, I'd tell them to buy things themselves.

Long story short, get a job instead of pestering your mom with things she doesn't understand. This will get you nowhere fast. When you buy something with your own money, people can't tell you a thing as you're the one who earned it. Like Linus, I wasn't given mad PC stuff when I was younger, in fact, I was lucky we even had a crappy HP box running a Pentium 4.

#firstworldproblems

Same with me I had to work part time to get a better gpu for better fps. Once I graduated and got a full time job I built my first whole pc.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump