Should LMG stop growing? - LMG is becoming more and more corporate by the day

Vishera

Should LMG stop growing?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should LMG stop growing?

A warning sign - The warranty scandal:

The size of the company:

https://linusmediagroup.com/our-team

There is a concern that the more LMG grows the higher the chance that the growth will harm the integrity of the company.

Growth is the major contributor to how corporations loose their integrity and their souls.

What do you guys think?

Should LMG stop growing?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

They have to keep going. Nothing is static, and you have to adapt and survive. It is up to them to find the right path.

I stopped following LTT content closely around 2 years ago as I felt I was no longer their audience. What I liked before that was the family feel, which feels lost the more they move into "professional" space as they get more cashflow. Late house era was peak content to me.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, porina said:

They have to keep going. Nothing is static, and you have to adapt and survive. It is up to them to find the right path.

I stopped following LTT content closely around 2 years ago as I felt I was no longer their audience. What I liked before that was the family feel, which feels lost the more they move into "professional" space as they get more cashflow. Late house era was peak content to me.

LTT lost views from you and those who think like you because of their growth.

To them as a company growth is good, but on the flip side of the coin it's bad for their viewers, customers, etc.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 hours ago, porina said:

I feel the same way. Personally don't enjoy their content anymore and have not for 2ish years. But as was said, they can't just not change

56 minutes ago, Vishera said:

LTT lost views from you and those who think like you because of their growth.

That's what they have to work out. What was I worth? I was in on floatplane at founder tier or whatever it was called, so they didn't get much from my YouTube Premium outside of WAN show. I never went to lttstore.com. If they replaced me with more people who spends more, it could be worth it to them.

Just tried to look up sub count history. Very roughly main channel grew 50% in 2 years. People come and go.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

Should LMG stop growing?

No, they should grow a PR department.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Nick light still works there? 

Cool! I haven't seen him in years. 

@LinusTechdo a Nick light Intel extreme upgrade. I miss him. It's been moving vlog into warehouse the last time I saw him. 

Edit

Or force him to cameo in a tech linked "hi fpo, I'm still here!" 

LMG is an organization, not your friend. They're going to keep growing as needed for their own success. At the end of the day their integrity isn't measured by viewers but the sponsors that pay for the videos.

The bag controversy is a good reminder that their growth can quickly become loss.

ANY business can become victim to its own plans.  

You would hope that Linus and his business managers are smart enough to deal with issues like this and they can continue to run a worthy business. 

As for the poll,  IMO, yes,  they should rein it in.   They are going to clickbait themselves to death.  

Why should they? Isn't that the purpose of every business?. Because, wheter some people like it or not, they are business after all; they have bills and taxes to pay and most importantly, they give jobs to people in their commnunity. 

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

I'm not dumb enough to waste $250 on a backpack that's worth $30 but anyway, LTT content on the main channel is getting worse by the day, but the clickbait gives them money so it's all about quantity over quality nowadays, like the rest of "big" youtube channels. Some videos on secondary channels are cool but that's about it.

I don't believe you understand the value of goods and services. 

I think your approaching this like LTT is a youtube channel, well they aren't.

Ever since they got this office (even the house office) they are a fully fledged media company.

I agree that the new content is different and I skip alot of it unless it involves other people (there engineering team or intel upgrade) (I started watching around 2016-2017)

As for the growing part.

Spoiler

image.png.729a6f904606d7bbcda88eb139d94625.png

They are a growing channel still.

This point  I think they are trying to keep the channel at a steady pace and keep the money going so they can.

A) more funding for projects

B) keep up with employee wages.

I think LTT does need to fix somethings (the PR).

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Hell no, I'm interested in seeing just how far they can go.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

they're growing ?
what setup are they using for lighting and irrigation, and where can i buy this Linus Tech Weed ? (lttstore.com?)

17 hours ago, Caroline said:

I'm not dumb enough to waste $250 on a backpack that's worth $30 but anyway, LTT content on the main channel is getting worse by the day, but the clickbait gives them money so it's all about quantity over quality nowadays, like the rest of "big" youtube channels. Some videos on secondary channels are cool but that's about it.

I see this as a serious problem.

I don't care if people want to buy it or not, I don't care if you would spend more than 30 for a backpack, and I don't care if you think it's worth it or not.

But comments like that are completely horseshit.

Aside from it being far more expensive to produce (I believe Linus said 150), if you think this is effectively a 30 dollar worth backpack, you are insane.

Proper quality bags are expensive, like seriously expensive. If you want a solid Lowepro (camera bag) bag, it's gonna set you back like 200, and they are not the most expensive brand, absolutely not.

High quality bags are very expensive, now if you want to argue it's not worth 250, by all means that's fine, claiming it's worth 30 bucks, is complete nonsense.

I don't know how it will all compare to other products, I don't know what an experienced bag maker brand would ask for it, the same goes for all their other products, but they do offer quality, and this ain't like: "I'm gonna sell a 3 dollar t-shirt with a 1000% mark up because I put a small logo on it" kind of deal.

You might argue that you know it's worth more, but you are just trying to make a point, but aside from plenty of people clearly having no clue at all about these costs, talk like this is detrimental to the whole discussion. If you want your messages to have any meaning, be constructive.

In my opinion LTT is fine. I feel that expanding does not mean becoming more like a massive cooperation. LTT has made a name for themselves throughout the years. From what I have seen they haven't done any shady practices. They were able to make this youtube channel get to this point which is difficult due to how competitive the platform is. I feel that if they want to expand they can. 

Wait until they IPO and go public. I will probably short their stocks. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I voted yes, because i already knew it was going to be the losing vote, but i knew what you meant with that thread.

First i wanna say, I am happy that Linus is doing well and LTT and FP are thriving. I really wish them all the best, but deep in my belly and in the back of my throat there is a lump because i saw the change from really technical channel for enthusiast (and professionals alike), to general entertainment channel for much wider audience and A TON more sponsorships. Nothing wrong with sponsors - they keep the business running and growing, people employed, content created, but there is a certain point where the media becomes much like the late 90s TV advertisement channels and that's what LTT is certainly starting to feel (especially with the Intel Tech Upgrade). It certainly leaves a bad "bought by intel/nvidia" taste in the mouth. The only critiques these companies are getting are some 2-3 minutes at the WAN show, unless they screw up bigtime and Linus goes full on berserk mode,l which leads me to the other aspect of the thread - the editorial route.

When Linus exploded about the Nvidia fiasco with HW Unboxed it certainly felt different and although it was just a 30 minute rant, it certainly felt good because it felt like an oldschool LTT video. The narrative was completely different to any other recent LTT video. Idk it's just the fact that Linus hired so many young people at important positions as writers and editors, but LTT now, certainly doesn't feel like it's led by someone who is only a year older than me. It has the general feel of TikTok and the other Gen-Z generation apps and businesses - a lot of color, vibrant text and effects, but little valuable content. When you open the videos tab in LTT YT channel, your eyes get bombarded by colorful cringe memes which might appeal to someone who is 12, not 32. There is a clear and present line in the behavior and communication pattern between Linus, Luke, Anthony and Brandon (and Taran b4 his departure) and the rest of the LTT staff. In EVERY video the interactions between Linus and Jake give 100% the dad and the spoilt son feel. Before Taran quit i just knew in the first 30 seconds of the video if he edited it or it was someone else. From videos to series you just knew it was made by people who grew up with TV and pop culture from before the social media era. Scrapyard Wars, Sketchy cooling solutions, Secret shopper... all great series, which brought back the good old Mythbusters feel and felt done with passion. Now the passion is kinda absent from the videos. The move with the "Trust me bro. Warranty" t-shirt was the biggest "ok boomer" move to a legit concern of matured people who grew to know the value of money. And this brings us to the point with the merchandise.

I like most of the things on the store. Already have like 80% of the OG stuff, but the way it's getting plugged constantly is quite annoying. Again, nothing wrong with promoting your own stuff, but it can get annoying really fast when you keep mentioning it all the time. 

In general LTT are going in the right direction as a business - they are growing and gaining new audience, but the question is will that be for expense of the old members who started it. I'm already missing quite a few people from that community who just moved elsewhere and idk if it's just "the circle of life" thing but it feels sad, man.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

If it's horseshit then why are you replying? The backpack isn't even slash resistant, for that price you should get kevlar lining on it lol, sure the zippers are "expensive" and wow there's 3 rivets on the handle, even my highschool bag had that so it's not any actual improvement.

My $30 bag offers literally the same "features" than that and is actually waterproof meaning you can wear it under heavy rain and no water will enter whereas LTT bag is only spill resistant.

"bb-but it's made out of recycled plastic!!!!" it should be cheaper then, they're using shredded bottles and bags to make it heh

3zl81WL.png

And my $30 phone has the same features as a flagship Android or iPhone.... /s

You REALLY don't understand this stuff. It's like saying a $30 old 500gb hard drive is as good as a new $250 ssd because the features you need work fine for you.

On 8/25/2022 at 3:09 PM, porina said:

I stopped following LTT content closely around 2 years ago as I felt I was no longer their audience.

For me its been about a year since I stopped following LTT. Only watch benchmarks other than that I don't watch anything from LTT anymore. To me videos seem way too clickbaity and that just doesn't make me interested. I mean most of the time you don't see what the topic of the video even is and I'm not wasting 5 mins skipping through the video trying to find out myself.

Still watch the tech news channel which is basically the only LTT channel I watch somewhat regularly.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:32 PM, Caroline said:

I'm not dumb enough to waste $250 on a backpack that's worth $30

Yeah. Not so sure about the 30 bucks but it 100% is not a 250USD backpack plus it looks pretty bad imo. For 250USD you can get some pretty good backpacks from established brands that I trust and know have good quality (plus much better looking designs).

30 minutes ago, itshurleytime said:

You REALLY don't understand this stuff. It's like saying a $30 old 500gb hard drive is as good as a new $250 ssd because the features you need work fine for you.

Are you saying you would be willing to pay 250 bucks for that backpack?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

31 minutes ago, Montana One-Six said:

For me its been about a year since I stopped following LTT. Only watch benchmarks other than that I don't watch anything from LTT anymore. To me videos seem way too clickbaity and that just doesn't make me interested. I mean most of the time you don't see what the topic of the video even is and I'm not wasting 5 mins skipping through the video trying to find out myself.

Still watch the tech news channel which is basically the only LTT channel I watch somewhat regularly.

Yeah. Not so sure about the 30 bucks but it 100% is not a 250USD backpack plus it looks pretty bad imo. For 250USD you can get some pretty good backpacks from established brands that I trust and know have good quality (plus much better looking designs).

Are you saying you would be willing to pay 250 bucks for that backpack?

If I wasn't so hooked on the backpack I bought 15 years ago for $215(and the company no longer makes the style or anything similar anymore) and was fortunate enough to come across the same model in ebay that had been in storage since it was bought and now being cleared out, yes. It's basically my perfect backpack, and if I didn't just happen to come across it I'd be in the market for another tech related backpack, I'd definitely consider it.

I'm hesitant on spending that kind of money when buying pretty much anything, but I'll do it. A $30 plastic Walmart bag may last that long, but that's more an exception than a rule.

Also, it's fair to note I'm not a typical early adopter(other than for my 3080FE which I was fortunate enough to get shortly after release), so I would probably wait a while until strong comparative reviews were out before spending $250 on a backpack. 

2 hours ago, itshurleytime said:

It is easy to get flagship phone for $30 or free if you switch to carriers who subsidized them tho. These go well into the budget range.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

It is easy to get flagship phone for $30 or free if you switch carriers who subsidized them tho.

It's not really $30 or free then, it's just rolled in to your expensive phone plan so you don't really notice the costs. We're off on a tangent though. You can get a free backpack if someone else pays for its a $0 backpack (for example schools often receive donations for those who cannot afford supplies)

9 hours ago, Caroline said:

bb-but it's made out of recycled plastic!!!!" it should be cheaper then, they're using shredded bottles and bags to make it heh

Reminds me of my old backpack it was a old embark made with that stuff and it was like 60usd it held up for 5 years of school and still running.

(don’t buy new embark stuff it’s crap)

4 hours ago, Montana One-Six said:

For 250USD you can get some pretty good backpacks from established brands that I trust and know have good quality (plus much better looking designs).

Looks at osprey radial 34L that goes for 130usd and it’s the same cargo capacity built probably better.

also.

Spoiler

60CBD541-18CD-47CA-8C82-628B4980D316.jpeg.37c3ab8242c1ced0fa9ecff5a7be4336.jpeg

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

15 hours ago, Caroline said:

If it's horseshit then why are you replying? The backpack isn't even slash resistant, for that price you should get kevlar lining on it lol, sure the zippers are "expensive" and wow there's 3 rivets on the handle, even my highschool bag had that so it's not any actual improvement.

My $30 bag offers literally the same "features" than that and is actually waterproof meaning you can wear it under heavy rain and no water will enter whereas LTT bag is only spill resistant.

"bb-but it's made out of recycled plastic!!!!" it should be cheaper then, they're using shredded bottles and bags to make it heh

3zl81WL.png

I clearly stated why I replied, so no need to ask questions for which the answers has already been given.

You are claiming your 30 dollar bag is the same or better than this bag in everything? Maybe you should link your bag, because I'm sure everyone would love to buy that bag.

If it's not, then maybe, just maybe you need stop talking crap.

BTW I'm serious, link that bag.