Should LMG stop growing? - LMG is becoming more and more corporate by the day

Vishera

Should LMG stop growing?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should LMG stop growing?

13 hours ago, itshurleytime said:

I'm hesitant on spending that kind of money when buying pretty much anything, but I'll do it.

So you said you are hesitant on spending that much money for anything. But you are also willing to pay 250 bucks for the LTT backpack when you can get backpacks with basically the same functionality from established brands for less than that. That reasoning doesn't make any sense to me.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

9 hours ago, Montana One-Six said:

So you said you are hesitant on spending that much money for anything. But you are also willing to pay 250 bucks for the LTT backpack when you can get backpacks with basically the same functionality from established brands for less than that. That reasoning doesn't make any sense to me

9 hours ago, Montana One-Six said:

I'm willing to spend that kind of money after doing my own due diligence. Hesitance is healthy for consumerism. I held off on preordering and found an unused model of backpack that hasnt been made for a decade to replace my original model of the same pack purchased 15 years ago for $215. I wound up paying only $80 for it and couldn't be happier, I got a great deal on my perfect backpack. If I didn't find this one I would have been willing to drop $250 to replace it one on eBay didn't just drop in my lap.

Personally, I'd wait for more reviews after heavy use to make a decision on a product that would get heavy use from me, and while price is a factor, it's not "the" factor. Some of the biggest issues are interior pocket size, which even most laptop backpacks aren't overly thoughtfully constructed with specific things in mind, or have deficiencies. So yes, I would hesitate to spend that kind of money, but that's really more so I can think about the choices before making them.

LMG should absolutely not stop growing. What Yvonne and Linus built is nothing short of amazing, and they should definitely keep reaching for greater heights. 

However, given the ill-thought comments as of late,  I do have the distinct feeling (my opinion, I could be wrong) that Linus is taking on quite a heavy load, a bit more than he can really chew. Not that it’s necessarily a “bad” problem to have (this sort of ambition is definitely a good thing overall, and the push to quickly diversify and harden his business is certainly understandable), though making sure things are manageable, especially as the business evolved, is important. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

What made LTT so successful is that it felt close, it felt familiar. There is this IT enthusiast guy (if you wasn't that guy, then you had a close friend who was him), who just loved tech and was doing crazy shit with it and along for the ride were his friends, all having fun. I totally could picture myself and my friends at the time having something like a scrapyard wars or doing a whole room water cooling for a lan gaming session or the High-LAN-der... oooh maaaaan... Hilander was on a whole another GOD tier level of production. Now we have 24K gold xbox controllers and servers that rival the best torrent sites, but the passion for the tech is somewhat lacking despite all the shouting and meme face thumbnailing. You feel Linus getting more and more distant with each video and it's just not the same. it's his face and voice after all that gathered everyone around. Now it feel more commercial, more sterile and profit driven above all else. And no i'm not talking about the merchandise. I'm talking about the video content. For example the latest video with Anthony -well written, well edited, but since we all know how cool, calm and collected bloke he is, it felt a bit artificial for him to be so overexcited with joy about press release claims. And boy oh boy... the thumbnail and the clickbait-ey title. It certainly start to feel like a big company, that still tries to represent itself close to the people kinda like:

fellow kids.jpg

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

9 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

it felt a bit artificial for him to be so overexcited with joy about press release claims.

It's because LTT no longer YOLO it, Now they follow a script written before hand by one of their writers...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

• 11 months later...

Now that the GN piece got released, Was i wrong though?

I would appreciate if more people vote.in the poll.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

To get back on topic, here are my absolutely worthless 2 cents. 

To me, the answer feels more like it should be "No... but they have to stop VERY soon". To me, it feels like they have been growing too fast for too long. They will need time to consolidate, then grow again when the time is right. This is just based on how I've observed the teams that I've been apart of grow over time. Obviously anecdotal, many solutions exist, etc.  

No LMG should not stop growing. But they need to do a deep introspection of themselves as creators and balance the content creation with the corporate side of things.

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)