Ordered a backpack (because I love LTT) but family member said it was a bad idea. Need some advice.

So I need a new backpack because my current one is falling apart.  I'm a sysadmin that carries around a ton of different things (Including a 75% mech keyboard, wifi pinapple, screwdriver kit, etc etc.)

Linus has hyped me up for this LTT backpack and to my backpack ignorant self, it seems like a great product. so I ordered one along with a water bottle. (and eventually a screwdriver when that happens)

but my family member who is into backpacks and storage solutions the same way I'm into IT and tech solutions pleaded with me to not order the bag. He said that there are many flaws with it and suggested another bag that would be "better".

I know nothing about backpacks, and I really don't want to cancel my order, but now I'm a bit worried.   He said he was going to send me a list of issues with it so I could judge for myself, but I was wondering if there was anyone here that has their ear to the ground in the backpack world that could weigh in.

my family member described it as buying a turtle beach headset when you could get a pair of hd6xx and a mic for a similar price. 

in no way do I want to dunk on the LTT bag.  I know how much work Linus and the whole team has put into it, but 300 bucks is a lot of money, and what he said has given me some doubts.

so if there is anyone with more knowledge about backpacks than I have that could weigh in, I would really appreciate it.

thanks,

The best thing for you to do is wait for more reviews on the store to make up your mind. 

Like any enthusiast, your friend probably has emotional connections to brands that they like and trust. It's pretty normal.

The backpack might be flawed from their perspective, but it wasn't build for backpack nerds, it was built for tech nerds. 

I've also seen the argument that we have no idea what we are doing because we've never built a backpack before from members of that community, but *obviously* we partnered with an experienced backpack manufacturer. Unlike the screwdriver we haven't felt it necessary to disclose our partner, but we'd be morons to just yolo it and sew them ourselves. 

Imo real independent reviews from people who actually have it on their hands is the way to go. 

Of course I come into this with my own set of biases 🙂

If you use it for work and it has space for what you want to put in it, it doesn't look like a terrible backpack.

It's not an incel mil sim tactical backpack with 999 straps but obviously it wasn't ever supposed to be that 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 hours ago, NullEmptyNothing said:

but my family member who is into backpacks and storage solutions the same way I'm into IT and tech solutions pleaded with me to not order the bag. He said that there are many flaws with it and suggested another bag that would be "better".

I know nothing about backpacks, and I really don't want to cancel my order, but now I'm a bit worried.   He said he was going to send me a list of issues with it so I could judge for myself, but I was wondering if there was anyone here that has their ear to the ground in the backpack world that could weigh in.

Let your family member explain all the things they don't like about it. Take what they say and consider if those things are important to you. If they give you other suggestions for what they think are better backpacks then compare them and see if those other bags do offer things that are important to you that the LTT bag doesn't offer, or if they are able to offer similar things while costing less. There's no reason not to at least consider your family members advice even if at the end you still decide the LTT backpack is what you want.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, LinusTech said:

it wasn't build for backpack nerds, it was built for tech nerds. 

This is the same logic used by companies that make gaming audio products and gaming chairs. 

We all know how shitty most of that garbage is, so your statement here doesn’t inspire much confidence.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

What backpack does he suggest? Does that one appropriately suit your needs and wants? Check the reviews and how much you trust the products coming from those companies. And in the end, it's not your cousin's (or whatever family member you'd be talking about) happiness that's at stake, it's yours. If his suggestion isn't going to satisfy, thank him for the advice and make your own choice. 

That being said, I bought a $250 backpack 15 years ago because I traveled all the time and it made carrying all my stuff much easier, organized, and a bit more comfortable. I probably could have done just fine with a $60 bag from LL Bean, but I also could have played video games at a few less FPS with a 2070S instead of shelling out for a 3080.

12 hours ago, NullEmptyNothing said:

(Including a 75% mech keyboard, wifi pinapple, screwdriver kit, etc etc.)

You really are a sysadmin, huh?

An informed customer is more likely to be a happy customer.  Feelings should only enter into the shopping experience after facts and logic are present.

I say this with chagrin based on my past impulse purchases >_>

6 hours ago, Roswell said:

This is the same logic used by companies that make gaming audio products and gaming chairs. 

No it isn't.

"Gaming chair" companies create a chair and slap "Gaming" in letters on it and call it a gaming chair.

"Backpack for tech nerds", it was build for tech nerds in mind and isn't regular backpack with tech nerd label.

I carry laptop, tablet and about 3-4 phones so I love the extra pockets for them. 

If you don't see the use of the backpack can just make you think that it's "just a backpack". It's ok, you are not the target audience.

As a prior military guy, backpack nerds, tech nerd and a host other things. I have not gotten my hands on this one ... yet. I am impressed.  Take from this with a grain of salt but my go to bag is the 511 brand and I'm still impressed with LTT bag.

It looks like it would fit your use case but fir the price this is definitely something to get your head around first before making that purchase.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Geez, it's a backpack.  Make your own mind up.  If you can't afford it to be a mistake, then don't buy it.

You can go out and buy all sorts of bags.  Some are good, some are bad.  Most are decent.

You didn't say what your family member said was wrong with the backpack.  If they are truly 'into' them, then they'd be able to tell you.  If they have or do tell you what their issues are, then really you need to make your own mind up about whether they matter.  Though honestly, I don't see how a tech backpack could injure you (it's not like you're buying climbing rope), so I won't know why they 'pleaded' with you to not buy one.  If anything, they sound like a bit of a snob.

22 hours ago, LinusTech said:

The best thing for you to do is wait for more reviews on the store to make up your mind. 

Like any enthusiast, your friend probably has emotional connections to brands that they like and trust. It's pretty normal.

The backpack might be flawed from their perspective, but it wasn't build for backpack nerds, it was built for tech nerds. 

I've also seen the argument that we have no idea what we are doing because we've never built a backpack before from members of that community, but *obviously* we partnered with an experienced backpack manufacturer. Unlike the screwdriver we haven't felt it necessary to disclose our partner, but we'd be morons to just yolo it and sew them ourselves. 

Imo real independent reviews from people who actually have it on their hands is the way to go. 

Of course I come into this with my own set of biases 🙂

Looks like I'm keeping my order. He said he would send me a list of issues as well as alternatives, but yesterday came and went, and I he didn't send me anything (including the discord invite to some kind of "caseology" discord where "real serious backpack nerds hang out").  Worst case scenario I can use it as a travel bag (its so big) and get something else down the line as a sysadmin bag.     you have my money Linus, you have my hype, lets see what happens.  and gimme that screwdriver haha.

just please don't ship me some modified AliExpress bag and I'll be happy haha.

12 hours ago, bluesummer said:

You really are a sysadmin, huh?

what are you saying bud? a sysadmin can't have good taste in mechanical keyboards? haha  
right now my bag is:

Dell precision 12th gen 15 inch.

75% keeb

a leather cable wrangler pouch

small I-fixit kit.

rj45 terminator

two spare cat6 (3foot and 6foot)

wifi pinapple

dell charger

a rotating backup tape for lazy daily offsite backup in case our building explodes.

spare mouse.

and all of that has caused my current no name leather bag to start to split at the zipper.   the LTT bag looks like it could hold double that.
admittedly, the 75% keeb seems to be the thing taking up the most space haha.

1 hour ago, NullEmptyNothing said:

what are you saying bud? a sysadmin can't have good taste in mechanical keyboards? haha  
right now my bag is:

Dell precision 12th gen 15 inch.

75% keeb

a leather cable wrangler pouch

small I-fixit kit.

rj45 terminator

two spare cat6 (3foot and 6foot)

wifi pinapple

dell charger

a rotating backup tape for lazy daily offsite backup in case our building explodes.

spare mouse.

and all of that has caused my current no name leather bag to start to split at the zipper.   the LTT bag looks like it could hold double that.
admittedly, the 75% keeb seems to be the thing taking up the most space haha.

Not at all, just saying the only guy who WOULD carry around a 75% mech keyboard would be a sysadmin, lul

I think all that stuffs super cool, you literally have my dream job!

22 hours ago, NullEmptyNothing said:

Looks like I'm keeping my order. He said he would send me a list of issues as well as alternatives, but yesterday came and went, and I he didn't send me anything (including the discord invite to some kind of "caseology" discord where "real serious backpack nerds hang out").  Worst case scenario I can use it as a travel bag (its so big) and get something else down the line as a sysadmin bag.     you have my money Linus, you have my hype, lets see what happens.  and gimme that screwdriver haha.

With all due respect to your brother lol. But it sounds like he's just making an assumption that because it's not a brand he's ever heard of that it can't possibly be a good bag. I have been using the same bag for like 10 years and I know specific things about the bag that bother me and Linus has recognized those things and fixed or improved them. I'm not sure if those a lone are worth a $200 price increase from what that bag cost... But I have high expectations for this bag and I'm happy to support Linus and LMG.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:33 AM, NullEmptyNothing said:

Ah, Caseology.

Yes, they are backpack nerds.  They also come across as quite snobbish.  Don't join that Discord channel, they'll take great pleasure in telling you what they think you should do.

As for my personal opinion: the LTT backpack seems pretty good with some good features.  I can't see any issues with it.  If it weren't so expensive to get it shipped (and taxed) where I live, I'd get it.  But really, it all depends on what you think.