Witcher 3: First next gen AAA title to enter the "No DRM Zone"

nicehat

image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-21365-2651

While Square Enix is reaffirming its commitment to "increasing its profits" by using DRM, CD Projekt Red is reaffirming its commitment to gamers by having absolutely no DRM at all in The Witcher 3.

"I’d like to say it loud and clear: The PC version of The Witcher 3 will have absolutely no DRM from day 0," said the CD Projekt cofounder and CEO Marcin Iwinski. "Zero. Zip. Nada. It doesn’t matter if you choose to buy it on GOG.com and support us directly or buy the game in box format, you’ll still get the 100% DRM-free experience. And this goes for the whole world."

What do you guys think? Is this a CD Projet rallying cry for gamers to band behind? Do you think this will bring some bigger changes in the industry? Or could you care less about DRM?

cd_projekt_red_60268.jpg

http://cdpred.com/no-drm-in-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-an-open-letter-to-the-community/

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

I'm pretty sure this isn't anything new. They had DRM-Free Witcher 1 & 2 on GOG for quite some time but it is nice to see that they are continuing the trend.

This getting released on steam? Or would that count as "DRM"?

It should get released in Steam. And yes anything on Steam is applicable to DRM. It just means that you can buy a DRM free version of the game if you wish. 

Edit: correction, its upto the developers to implement the DRM

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Shame it's releasing before we (allegedly) have a proper graphics card to play it on. They may lose out on profits.

35 FPS on a 780Ti isn't exactly going to be exciting.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Shame it's releasing before we (allegedly) have a proper graphics card to play it on. They may lose out on profits.

You benchmarked the final release ? How is it ?

The best anti piracy measure available to devs it's still good faith: Remembering that your audience it's composed of decent human beings that will support good games and efforts. And look who's fucking telling you that, a self declared Misanthrope.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The game was delayed to February 2015...

You benchmarked the final release ? How is it ?

I think that particular rumor comes from CD Projekt Red themselves so don't bite his head off just yet. And yes this game will be intensive as all fucking shit, however in case you guys forgot (or are not used to not maxing everything out like us peasants with older equipment) the witcher II was pretty damn scaleable: you could make it look absolutely hideous if needed be for extra performance, it did ran on the 360 after all  :lol:

-------

Current Rig

-------

So turn off MSAA and there you go..bam! 60 FPS.

By the way i bet that this game will look great even on medium settings.

Nice, I'm quite excited for this game, even though it'll probably kill my current GPUs :P

XFX suck donkeyballs

this isnt new buy i have a question

why are we calling these games next gen ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

As you look at this screen remember that this is:

1) An RPG game, unlike shooters there's potentially a lot more scripting going on in the background. 

2) An open world RPG, which unlike shooters has to have seamless transitions without forgetting about all those scripts on the background

3) A fairly long open world RPG which should be at least 10 times longer than even the best FPS game campaigns out there.

Mind you those points might be hype but given the quality of the previous 2 Witcher game, there's enough credibility to be a tad exited.

The-Witcher-3-Leshen.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

The-Witcher-3-Leshen.jpg

nice picture

but thats not answering my question

games from 2008 vs 2012 looked insanely different

this is just another step

but ive never heard next gen being used before

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

nice picture

but thats not answering my question

games from 2008 vs 2012 looked insanely different

this is just another step

I edited a few comments in for clarification, sorry for the bad timing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's a console thing ;)

Oh CD Projekt Red. I love you. Let's make babies.

We aren't.  Marketing is.  Witcher 3 screens and info were out long before any real significant xbone/ps4 news.  Next Gen is a buzz word to sell games and consoles that, in terms of raw power and function, are generations behind the current state of consumer hardware.

Titles like this one aren't next gen.  They are cutting edge at the forefront of not just the PC market but the whole industry.  PC is not next gen, it's current gen.  These good guys develop games like they used to. Make the full fat product, then water it down for the lesser hardware.

Just by saying that it's DRM free, I'm already making a special place in my wallet for them. They're taking a step in the right direction and I want to encourage it. I normally stick to steam sales, but I'd say this is worth full price.

Edit- I just looked around at the prices of different retailers and the PC version is $10 cheaper than console everywhere. I love these guys.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

It's nice knowing that not all games are going to be limited to the usual choices of DRM. Giving the consumers some options is nice.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

It should get released in Steam. And yes anything on Steam is applicable to DRM

Nope it's up to the developer. There are games on steam where You can run the game outside of steam by launching the game exe.

Nope it's up to the developer. There are games on steam where after You can run the game outside of steam by launching the game exe.

Oh I see. did not know that! thanks!

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

turn some of the settings down... 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Optimization is one of the last development stages of creating a game I believe.

This is the game I built my PC for. I am ready.

gzgdKvL.jpg

s455v.gif

t76aj.gif

r609g.gif

witcusf1z.gif

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •