It's a bug not a feature: People on unsupported hardware are being offered Windows 11 upgrade

darknessblade

Summary

Due a bug people with unsupported hardware are able to install and use windows 11.

Quotes

Yesterday, Microsoft released Windows 11 build 22621 to Windows Insiders enrolled in the Release Preview Channel, marking another step towards general availability of Windows 11 22H2 which is scheduled for release sometime later this year. However, it seems from reports on Reddit, that users on unsupported hardware are being offered the upgrade as well, even those on Windows 10.

It has to be noted that there is also a Release Preview Channel for Windows 10 and that receives Cumulative Updates before the general public release of Windows 10 does, but supported hardware will still see the "Windows 11, version 22H2 is ready" offer. The issue here is that it is seemingly being offered on unsupported hardware too.

My thoughts

The TPM requirement was already a bunch of BS, that microsoft made up for windows 11. So this is Kind off the best bug ever.

Since this actually proofs The TPM requirement is completely useless.

The TPM requirement will also cause a massive amount of E-waste after windows 10 is EOL. So this bug is actually wanted by Many people to become a actual feature.

Sources

https://www.neowin.net/news/people-on-unsupported-hardware-are-being-offered-windows-11-22h2-upgrade/

https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-22h2-unsupported-hardware/

Microsoft supported processor list:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Your twitter link is twitching lol

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Your twitter link is twitching lol

Yeah I know, not sure what causes it, could be a issue on the forum with the Twitter widget plugin.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Microsoft IS a bug.

image.thumb.png.af44a2d62bcfe554d23f340b3912a024.png

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

According to JenMsft this is a bug. It might show that you are eligible for an update to Windows 11, but if you actually try and install it the installer will throw an error and not let you continue. Although, some users are reporting that their installs worked.

I would be very cautious and not install Windows 11 if your previously unsupported system now tells you to update. You might be shooting yourself in the foot. Worst case scenario, you install Windows 11 and it breaks, or you install it and won't get any updates which would force you to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.

38 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

My thoughts

The TPM requirement was already a bunch of BS, that microsoft made up for windows 11. So this is Kind off the best bug ever.

Since this actually proofs The TPM requirement is completely useless.

The TPM requirement will also cause a massive amount of E-waste after windows 10 is EOL. So this bug is actually wanted by Many people to become a actual feature.

Haven't really looked in to it, but from what you posted there's no mention of this being related to TPM? Skylake and Kabylake which are mentioned in those tweets support TPM, my Z170 board supports it. The reason Windows 11 isn't officially supported on those CPUs isn't to do with TPM it's just that Microsoft doesn't have Skylake/Kabylake CPUs on the approved CPU list.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The reason Windows 11 isn't officially supported on those CPUs isn't to do with TPM it's just that Microsoft doesn't have Skylake/Kabylake CPUs on the approved CPU list.

Yep, and the reason why they aren't on the approved CPU list are not because of any technical reason according to Microsoft.

They just felt like it was a nice cutoff point.

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

i.e., they're jackasses. Let's call it for what it is. These people could screw up a one-car funeral.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

tell me an OS that does majority of work for the users and supports billions of different hardware configurations

9 minutes ago, pas008 said:

tell me an OS that does majority of work for the users and supports billions of different hardware configurations

Pretty much all of them? And in that I am including OSes like Windows 10 and Windows 7.

I don't really understand the question.

Are you attempting to shift focus by essentially saying "you can't criticize Windows unless you do it better yourself"?

17 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Tell me an OS that doesn't randomly crash if the slightest little thing isn't to its liking until they get the eleventh revision of the third patch right. Tell me an OS that doesn't update itself with broken patches that make things worse. Tell me an OS that doesn't try to force you to upgrade to something more broken than it was in the first place. Tell me an OS that doesn't randomly change things in your status bar to what IT wants you to see. Tell me an OS that can let a machine go into sleep mode and manage to wake it up again. I've not been impressed with Microshaft since they released that dumpster fire they called Vista. I ran older machines with XP for as long as I could. Win10 was okay for awhile, but it's really starting to act like Vista. And once MS starts trying to act like THEY own and control my computer? Bye bye... 🖕

Edited by An0maly_76

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

24 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yep, and the reason why they aren't on the approved CPU list are not because of any technical reason according to Microsoft.

No one complained that Windows 10 dropped support for older CPUs during its life.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Because it didn't use to be a hard requirement like in Windows 11.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

As long as you have TPM 2.0 and SecureBoot, you can install Windows 11 with unsupported CPUs.

52 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No one complained that Windows 10 dropped support for older CPUs during its life.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

Currently rocking Win 10 on i5-2450m (as a secondary laptop) and it's working just fine, didn't even know it's unsupported. On the other hand, I wouldn't be able to install Win 11.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Of course not since it was nothing but (the lack of) a line on a page, it had zero impact or consequence.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Pretty much all of them? And in that I am including OSes like Windows 10 and Windows 7.

I don't really understand the question.

Are you attempting to shift focus by essentially saying "you can't criticize Windows unless you do it better yourself"?

i'm saying look how many billions of configurations work easily for users with little work for the users

pop in practically any mainstream hardware and shit will install automatically on os install

can i do that on anything else?

and every other os has their small list of capable hardware or you have to install even the mainstream drivers/software

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

Tell me an OS that doesn't randomly crash if the slightest little thing isn't to its liking until they get the eleventh revision of the third patch right. Tell me an OS that doesn't update itself with broken patches that make things worse. Tell me an OS that doesn't try to force you to upgrade to something more broken than it was in the first place. Tell me an OS that doesn't randomly change things in your status bar to what IT wants you to see. Tell me an OS that can let a machine go into sleep mode and manage to wake it up again. I've not been impressed with Microshaft since they released that dumpster fire they called Vista. I ran older machines with XP for as long as I could. Win10 was okay for awhile, but it's really starting to act like Vista. And once MS starts trying to act like THEY own and control my computer? Bye bye... 🖕

all of them and many dont have even close to the broad range of supported devices across many vendors/manufacturers etc

13 minutes ago, pas008 said:

all of them and many dont have even close to the broad range of supported devices across many vendors/manufacturers etc

Linux is a pretty good competitor there, the only thing it doesnt support are butthead corps who intentionally sabotage any attempt to make their HW work under it..... (Looking at you Lenovo, MSI)

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Just here to say that comparing fruits with each other makes perfect sense. How else do you choose between either of them?

People really need to stop using that analogy. 

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Just here to say that comparing fruits with each other makes perfect sense. How else do you choose between either of them?

People really need to stop using that analogy. 

Apples and broccoli then?

elephants

12 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Apples and broccoli then?

Technically you could compare anything. Isn't that the entire point of comparing anyway?

17 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Technically you could compare anything. Isn't that the entire point of comparing anyway?

I guess the point is to show comparing two things that don't really need to be compared.

Apples and Ryzen 7 5800X3D's it is!

elephants

22 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

but if we didnt have windows we most likely would have been set back a decade

do you understand if ms did just pick and choose what companies were allowed on it like apple does we wouldnt even be here yes something else would came along but would it be like apple nintendo etc where its all their platform? same with software utilizing hardware

plus do you think this forum would even exist lol

I been using a pc since 80s so after windows we got chip and software competition that drove it to this today

Edited by LogicalDrm

just as it was a "bug" that modern systems was not able to get windows 11 even with TPM enabled? (while decade old MS systems are allowed)

just like most microsoft software, its buggy features with a daily dose of remote access attacks.