LMG Sponsor Complaints

CPotter

In my experience Wicked Cushions are really hit and miss. I have them for my Corsair Virtuoso headset and they are no better than the stock cushions. I also almost bought them for my Sony XM4s before I read lot of bad reviews about how they ruin the ANC. I have a friend who bought the freeze ones and he said they initially do feel cold but they warm up like stock pads within a few minutes.

I feel like LMG need to order and test a wide variety of them instead of trying one product and then recommending them.

I've gotten some issues with my Ugreen nexode 100W, and I would not recommend it to anyone at all, since it doesn't hold up at those rated 100W, and may be a hazard.
I got the charger to use as a secondary charger to use with my Legion 5, since the original charger is a bulky one, and I just needed a charger that even tho didn't give me the full power the laptop uses, it would give some so I could still play some games and do heavy work, without carrying the massive original charger, and 100W would lose me some performance, but still usable non the less.
This is where I chose to buy the Ugreen nexode 100W, but the charger doesn't hold 100W, while doing any kind of intensive task, the charging will stop for a fraction of a second every 1 min, leading to huge stutters while gaming mostly.
The charger gets extremely hot, almost burning hot (+/- 50C), and it makes insane coil whine under full 100W load.
TLDR:
Doesn't hold constant 100W charge, it almost gets burning hot, and makes tons of coil whine under full load.

Would be cool see the labs test those chargers and give a review on them.

10 hours ago, Darkitect said:

In the "You've lived without these..." video, the sponsor (Wicked Cushions) section shows an image with available products that are not reflected on the company's website or Amazon store. I've been using Sennheiser HD280 headphones for a good fifteen years, and I got super excited when I saw that WC made replacement pads (the "Compatible" list at 3:27 in the video), and then I got kinda bummed when I found that this is not the case.

It's probably a good idea to make sure that what the sponsor is advertising and what they're providing are the same things.

Hey there! I was poking around on their website and saw that they do sell earpads that cover Sennheiser HD280: https://wickedcushions.com/products/upgraded-gaming-earpads-hybrid-velour?variant=39300662952015. This one seems to be universal and lists the HD280 as a compatible set of headphones.

On 6/22/2023 at 2:45 PM, TrollingJoker said:

So I've noticed it a couple of times now but the sponsors introduced in the WAN show are voiced over in the Spotify release by Bell but every time Babbel is mentioned, the link fails.

You get this nice little story about colleague Sven and his family in The Netherlands as an example and go get your 55% off at https://babbel.com/WAN. Every time you open said link you get a 'Lost?' egg 404 page. What gives? Is this a USA/Canadian only page or something or hasn't anyone actually verified that it works? I was interested and immediately let down by this.

Screenshot_20230622_134344_Chrome.jpg

Merged to official sponsor complaints and issues thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 6/22/2023 at 4:45 AM, TrollingJoker said:

So I've noticed it a couple of times now but the sponsors introduced in the WAN show are voiced over in the Spotify release by Bell but every time Babbel is mentioned, the link fails.

You get this nice little story about colleague Sven and his family in The Netherlands as an example and go get your 55% off at https://babbel.com/WAN. Every time you open said link you get a 'Lost?' egg 404 page. What gives? Is this a USA/Canadian only page or something or hasn't anyone actually verified that it works? I was interested and immediately let down by this.

Screenshot_20230622_134344_Chrome.jpg

Hey, thanks for bringing this up. Let me message my contact to see what's going on here.

Hey all,

Not sure when Vessi were last a sponsor but just thought I throw this issue out there, unsure if others have had similar.  I live in the UK and liked the look of their shoes, and emailed them directly asking if they shipped to the UK, which they don't.  That was that, but without permission they added me to their mailing list and I started getting their marketing, which was irksome especially when I can't even order their stuff!  I unsubscribed many weeks ago but that hasn't been honored, the emails keep coming.  I've now added them to the SPAM list but I see this type of behavior as a red flag.  I took a look in the SPAM folder today, and they're still coming, the latest was yesterday asking me to "Step up my summer style".      

20 hours ago, Sveeno said:

Hey, thanks for bringing this up. Let me message my contact to see what's going on here.

No problem! Again nice story you have there. Felt more personal as I'm Dutch myself 😅.

I did get a reaction from Babbel support and they redirected me to some try babbel site from 2021? Nothing LTT or WAN found there or in the link anyway 😯.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:57 AM, TrollingJoker said:

No problem! Again nice story you have there. Felt more personal as I'm Dutch myself 😅.

I did get a reaction from Babbel support and they redirected me to some try babbel site from 2021? Nothing LTT or WAN found there or in the link anyway 😯.

The link should be working now! Glad to hear another Dutch person is listening to the WAN Show.

If you have any other troubles, DM me.

1 hour ago, kris2340k said:

...the world's top manufacturer of and supplier of height adjustable desks, office chairs...

somehow doubt that.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

52 minutes ago, Sveeno said:

The link should be working now! Glad to hear another Dutch person is listening to the WAN Show.

If you have any other troubles, DM me.

Awesome! I'll give it a go.

If I DM you perhaps I'll do it in Dutch for some practice 😜

2 hours ago, kris2340k said:

Had this come in at work

Is this ok
image.png.11b46d9a72ca648ac7c5964c8247ff29.png

Is it just me or is Linus' head photoshopped into a torso in that picture feels off especially considering that I don't recognize the shirt.

Apparently the .com site goes a step further and even connecting other known people for their promotion. Linus' head once again exactly the same but a different torso with a LTT shirt this time. Very interesting indeed 😅.

FS-PDP-E7-banner-m.jpg

Edited by TrollingJoker

Looks like Flexispot has also just used Linus' video as an advertisement: 

The video preview also uses the phrase "Linus Tech Tips Recommended".

Flexispot sponsored the original video that all the clips come from, so perhaps they entered a deal to use Linus' likeness in their advertising? Although saying that "Linus recommended" is a bit disingenuous. 

They also use imagery directly on their website:

image.thumb.png.aa9a340e83556ff9d9b4d4a4506aee23.png

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

I don't know the law around if you require permission to share a public testimonial, but even if it is required, Linus seems pretty chill and I'd expect he might grant permission if asked and there's nothing misleading.

48 minutes ago, TrollingJoker said:

Is it just me or is Linus' head photoshopped into a torso in that picture feels off especially considering that I don't recognize the shirt.

Like alright to me. It looks like they Photoshopped the logo on the shirt over the LTT logo. Other than the logo the picture appears to be identical to the one in the LTT logo shirt with the same creases in the same spot on the shirt. That photo might have just been taken from the lttstore photoshoot for the elemental shirt he's wearing, but it's no longer on the store so I can't confirm. 

If you want to see bad then check out this image from the Amazon page of a dodgy company I saw a few weeks ago... 

image-1.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Like alright to me. It looks like they Photoshopped the logo on the shirt over the LTT logo. Other than the logo the picture appears to be identical to the one in the LTT logo shirt with the same creases in the same spot on the shirt. That photo might have just been taken from the lttstore photoshoot for the elemental shirt he's wearing, but it's no longer on the store so I can't confirm. 

If you want to see bad then check out this image from the Amazon page of a dodgy company I saw a few weeks ago... 

image-1.png

Peter Mckinnon is looking good! 😜

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to complain regarding the wording The Ridge wallet has in most of the LMG video sponsorship spots.

They claim to have RFID blocking technology in their wallets. This I believe makes somebody who does know how contactless or RFID cards work may think that buying The Ridge is required to prevent their credit, debit or transit card data getting stolen.

While in fact their 'RFID blocking technology' is just a glorified term for metal plates and I believe is misleading. As such kind of card details thefts can be easily prevented by either putting a piece of metal (like aluminium foil) the size of the card along with the card in the wallet or just having multiple cards. On the technical side these produce eddy currents and thus cause interference in the wireless communication between the card and the reader.

I had expected LMG being a technology company to have the advertisement wordings be more technically sound.

I would love to see a video on LTT channel explaining means to prevent such card thefts on the cheap without buying products like The Ridge for people who just require the RFID blocking utility.

Please do correct me if I have been mistaken with the above.

The prevention methods listed above is what I have tested with my contactless card(s) and my android phone being the reader.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:02 PM, Positron7120 said:

They claim to have RFID blocking technology in their wallets. This I believe makes somebody who does know how contactless or RFID cards work may think that buying The Ridge is required to prevent their credit, debit or transit card data getting stolen.

While in fact their 'RFID blocking technology' is just a glorified term for metal plates and I believe is misleading. As such kind of card details thefts can be easily prevented by either putting a piece of metal (like aluminium foil) the size of the card along with the card in the wallet or just having multiple cards. On the technical side these produce eddy currents and thus cause interference in the wireless communication between the card and the reader.

half the wallets on the market claim "RFID blocking technolgy", as far as i'm concerned that's become the market term for "a piece of tin foil in front of the card slots".

i agree that it sounds "far too technical" for what it really is, and IMO there should be an "80+" type of specification for RFID protecting wallets.. but i dont think the wallet industry will ever do that because i'm pretty darn sure that 95% of the world's wallets are still purchased from discount bins or back alley stores.

Not sure if this thread is still being actively watched, but I've been using Volta chargers for a couple of years now.

I had multiple issues with their 2.0 connectors just randomly breaking in normal use, so moved to their more premium Spark cables.

Whilst for the most part in day to day use, theyre fine, theyre not truly USB-C in that the cables only fast change directionally. So if you just happen to connect it the wrong way, you dont get the advertised charge rate.

my other issue which i raised before is their now TERRIBLE customer service. theres a huge banner on the website advertising 1-3 day express shipping, its now been a week and my order hasnt even been sent. The last time this happened, they emailed me back and said "oh yeah that thing you ordered isnt available so we havent sent anything to you"... thats despite the website being able to very clearly show things out of stock and block you from purchasing them. I had the same issue before when the cable was in stock but the small case that they ship them in (that i throw away) wasnt, therefore they did not send the item until i asked.

Thankfully, i havent seen Volta come up on any LTT channel lately, or any other youtuber for that matter. Sucks because their physical products are decent.Screenshot_2199.thumb.png.0bc443cfa3047e27aeca157b476990f9.png

15 hours ago, manikyath said:

half the wallets on the market claim "RFID blocking technolgy", as far as i'm concerned that's become the market term for "a piece of tin foil in front of the card slots".

i agree that it sounds "far too technical" for what it really is, and IMO there should be an "80+" type of specification for RFID protecting wallets.. but i dont think the wallet industry will ever do that because i'm pretty darn sure that 95% of the world's wallets are still purchased from discount bins or back alley stores.

its just like "military grade encryption" or "bank grade encryption"

oh cool so you use generic encryption that everyone else does.

i got told that phrase by a Eufy sales rep at a trade show and immediately walked away. about 3 weeks later their data scandal came out. aged fucking well.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:51 PM, PatalJunior said:

I've gotten some issues with my Ugreen nexode 100W, and I would not recommend it to anyone at all, since it doesn't hold up at those rated 100W, and may be a hazard.
I got the charger to use as a secondary charger to use with my Legion 5, since the original charger is a bulky one, and I just needed a charger that even tho didn't give me the full power the laptop uses, it would give some so I could still play some games and do heavy work, without carrying the massive original charger, and 100W would lose me some performance, but still usable non the less.
This is where I chose to buy the Ugreen nexode 100W, but the charger doesn't hold 100W, while doing any kind of intensive task, the charging will stop for a fraction of a second every 1 min, leading to huge stutters while gaming mostly.
The charger gets extremely hot, almost burning hot (+/- 50C), and it makes insane coil whine under full 100W load.
TLDR:
Doesn't hold constant 100W charge, it almost gets burning hot, and makes tons of coil whine under full load.

Would be cool see the labs test those chargers and give a review on them.

FYI mine has no such issues (UK). Holds 90-100W when charging my huge Anker power bank, and can keep my laptop at full charge under load. No coil whine, but yes it does get hot because it's absolutely tiny for what it does.

Also have the 200W desk charger which is also amazing.

I Would like to File a complaint against ASUS, they are purposefully trying to ignore their own warranty on products, I purchased an ASUS ROG Chariot from microcenter last year, after my Corsair T1 died (after 5+ years) the chair was comfortable however the gas cylinder has already died, I am well within the weight limit for the device and reached out to ASUS for a replacement part under the warranty. They attempted to tell me the warranty was expired which contradicts their own Warranty information, I provided proof of purchase from my microcenter account to show they were mistaken, but they have dragged their feet and keep giving me the run around for almost a month now. I have grown tired of their games and filed a complain with the BBB and with my states Attorney General's office to assist in resolving this issue. But wanted others to be aware of these shady business tatics ASUS is using to try and prevent fufillinf their obligations to uphold their warranty, they have been doing this for years now, when I tired to file a claim for my X399 strix a due to the some issues I was having with my threadripper. I was given the same treatment, then they recently got caught trying to void thousands of peoples warranties on their motherboards for a bios update they pushed.Unless ASUS gets caught and publicly called out they dont care and have some of the worst warranty claim processes in the industry, If you are looking for a new periphrial I would suggest looking at Corsair over ASUS. I would say they have one of the best if not the best Warranty support and they bend over backwards to make their customers happy. ASUS I am still waiting for my replacement gas cylinder.....I have spent more than enough money on your products to deserve a much better warranty claim experience. 

On 7/10/2023 at 10:49 PM, MrJeeves said:

FYI mine has no such issues (UK). Holds 90-100W when charging my huge Anker power bank, and can keep my laptop at full charge under load. No coil whine, but yes it does get hot because it's absolutely tiny for what it does.

Also have the 200W desk charger which is also amazing.

Well, mine doesn't hold 100W that is for sure, while gaming it stops charge for 0.5 seconds, and it destroys frame times.
The coil whine is louder than my computer fans (they are quite silent, but still).

Edit: Context, not louder than the laptop fans, my desktop fans.

Edited by PatalJunior

On 6/18/2023 at 8:47 PM, getdumptrucked said:

Has hubspot been a sponsor before? Does LMG do sponsor reads for external content?  I just saw a pre roll ad on YouTube for an unrelated (not LMG) YouTube channel and the pre roll ad for hubspot had a VoiceOver that sounded EXACTLY like James. I’ve watched enough LMG content to spot a familiar voice. Not my pig, not my farm. But It was strange to hear an lmg employee ad read outside of LMG channels. 

LMG (Linus Media Group - the parent company) does indeed do commissioned work for third parties. They've been doing it for years. Usually B2B content for businesses looking for training videos or advertisements. This is really good work for LMG to supplement their internal content.

Anything made for those third parties would not be editorialized by LMG. That means that LMG takes the contract, does whatever their customer asks, and delivers the product, so don't confuse James unboxing a Cisco Switch as any sort of endorsement from LMG about the product.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not sure if Seagate is still an active sponsor on the channel right now, but they changed their support options on June 30 and now offer only Chat. Before you could call them, send emails and you got a quick response. Now I'm already sitting 30 Minutes in the chat after the Virtual Agent handed me over to the real one. I can't get my problem solved with this. They also didn't provide a BitLocker Key for the Drive they send me.IMG_20230718_151436.thumb.jpg.fc33349c8a06bd533824152a26238f32.jpg

A real shame, Seagate had great support people before that change. Guess they want to save money for that segment 

On 7/10/2023 at 3:46 PM, volatus146 said:

Not sure if this thread is still being actively watched, but I've been using Volta chargers for a couple of years now.

I had multiple issues with their 2.0 connectors just randomly breaking in normal use, so moved to their more premium Spark cables.

Whilst for the most part in day to day use, theyre fine, theyre not truly USB-C in that the cables only fast change directionally. So if you just happen to connect it the wrong way, you dont get the advertised charge rate.

my other issue which i raised before is their now TERRIBLE customer service. theres a huge banner on the website advertising 1-3 day express shipping, its now been a week and my order hasnt even been sent. The last time this happened, they emailed me back and said "oh yeah that thing you ordered isnt available so we havent sent anything to you"... thats despite the website being able to very clearly show things out of stock and block you from purchasing them. I had the same issue before when the cable was in stock but the small case that they ship them in (that i throw away) wasnt, therefore they did not send the item until i asked.

Thankfully, i havent seen Volta come up on any LTT channel lately, or any other youtuber for that matter. Sucks because their physical products are decent.Screenshot_2199.thumb.png.0bc443cfa3047e27aeca157b476990f9.png

UPDATE:

So the wireless charging stand was out of stock, and as such, they sent nothing until i emailed them. We mutually agreed to send the charging cable and the wall plug that was also in the order, and to send the wireless stand when the new one comes in stock.

A week ago, it arrived. Missing the charging brick. Emailed them, they said they will send it out.

Just now, i had my cable/tip catch fire on first use.

Not even sure where to go from here... I love the concept, and I dont want to move back to standard charging cables, but problem after problem after problem... and i dont know any RELIABLE alternatives that support decent fast charging.

356928135_837565217765172_4078270077486685287_n.thumb.jpg.fd52196bc104aa3e159dd974e8f5b758.jpg