Linus' recent political bias video

Forumusername

I'm sure this will be deleted quickly considering Linus' emotionally fueled attack on Elon / Twitter / FREEDOM OF SPEECH. But the 'I just found out. #shorts' video shows Linus' political bias towards corporate censorship and anti freedom of speech. This is especially hypocritical of him, and Linus Tech Tips in extension, as they're supposed to serve as an unbiased form of information and reviews. But as the video proves, Linus is easily motivated by his personal emotional views and enough so to publicly rant about them while using his business' viewer base. I know almost all of you will say I'm being dramatic, but you should really see this for what it is. LTT has lost all credibility in my mind from this video, I hope it was worth it.

)

8 minutes ago, Forumusername said:

I'm sure this will be deleted quickly considering Linus' emotionally fueled attack on Elon / Twitter / FREEDOM OF SPEECH. But the 'I just found out. #shorts' video shows Linus' political bias towards corporate censorship and anti freedom of speech. This is especially hypocritical of him, and Linus Tech Tips in extension, as they're supposed to serve as an unbiased form of information and reviews. But as the video proves, Linus is easily motivated by his personal emotional views and enough so to publicly rant about them while using his business' viewer base. I know almost all of you will say I'm being dramatic, but you should really see this for what it is. LTT has lost all credibility in my mind from this video, I hope it was worth it.

Shorter version: "I've chosen to slob a billionaire's knob instead of a mere millionaire's and everyone must know!"

Got to love the idea that having misgivings about the richest guy in the world - whose company is already alleged to have asked for authoritarian governments to use their censorship powers to suppress criticism of their products - buying a major social media platform means you are for "corporate ownership" and "anti freedom of speech."

Look bro. Musk isn't a champion of free speech. He isn't Tony Stark. And he isn't going to take you to Mars with him. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Freedom of speech in the United States protects you from the GOVERNMENT attempting to limit your ability to speak freely* and has nothing to do with private entities moderating their platform to keep it from turning into a further cesspool.

*Barring a wide range of topics they can stop you on

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

18 minutes ago, Forumusername said:

WHAT are you on about? 

Did we watch the same video or what?

He didn't once attack Elon in the video he linked, he just made 3 sound predictions about a polarizing figure.

Linus comes off really calm in this video, maybe i didn't take the same mushrooms as you before watching this video

The takes in this video are as hot as an icecream, that means cold and rational.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Whenever Elon Musk and freeze peach are brought up in the same sentence, i cant help but to chuckle.

Look, man. Elon Musk is a billionaire Who doesn't care about you in the slightest and who would ban you out of existence for talking about his receding hair line if he could.

Linus has the right to have his hot takes about Musk. That's partly what freedom of speech is about 

5 minutes ago, Osaka said:

Look, man. Elon Musk is a billionaire Who doesn't care about you in the slightest and who would ban you out of existence for talking about his receding hair line if he could.

I've been downloading every single photo of Elon Musk doing something slightly out of the ordinary I can find recently for when they all get wiped off the Internet. 

/s

6 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

WHAT are you on about? 

Did we watch the same video or what?

He didn't once attack Elon in the video he linked, he just made 3 sound predictions about a polarizing figure.

Linus comes off really calm and rational in this video, maybe i didn't take the same mushrooms as you before watching this video

I feel like because Linus didn't say "Musk is god, all hail him and his ideology and I am a pissant who trembles at the mere sight of his greatness" it wasn't good enough and involved thinking about something that might not shine him in a perfect light because his views might be different on the subject and didn't involve pure puke worshiping the muskrat therefore Linus is anti-free speech

I don't really expect rational thought or a quality discussion from a user who makes an account, one troll/bait post and then disappears forever

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

21 minutes ago, Forumusername said:

LTT has lost all credibility in my mind from this video, I hope it was worth it.

LTT lost credibility for me a while ago, but I couldn't care less about a multi-millionare youtuber's hot take over a multi-billionare business man.

However a tech youtuber discussing politics is rather silly IMO, he should keep it on Floatplane or start another channel for it.

8 minutes ago, Osaka said:

Whenever Elon Musk and freeze peach are brought up in the same sentence, i cant help but to chuckle.

Linus has the right to have his hot takes about Musk. That's partly what freedom of speech is about 

So you're against free speech on a social media platform, but you're also fine with a tech youtuber getting into politics? Thats kind of ironic lol.

The amount of simping for Linus while hating on Musk's business decisions on the forum lately is interesting.

19 minutes ago, Forumusername said:

as they're supposed to serve as an unbiased form of information and reviews.

Since when? The whole channel is opinion based, reviews with numbers have facts, but it doesn’t exempt them from having bias. If you have ever seen the wan show or lmg clips, you will know that Linus is not afraid of putting a personal opinion online

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I feel like because Linus didn't say "Musk is god, all hail him and his ideology and I am a pissant who trembles at the mere sight of his greatness" it wasn't good enough and involved thinking about something that might not shine him in a perfect light because his views might be different on the subject and didn't involve pure puke worshiping the muskrat therefore Linus is anti-free speech

I like the implication that OP only cared about Linus's opinion on, say, RAM before because he assumed that Linus must huff the Musk musk as hard as he does, and now that it turns out he doesn't, somehow that has ruined Linus's credibility on totally unrelated subjects.

Hey @Forumusername, do you make sure the owner of your local Wendy's franchise has an Elon body pillow like you do before you order your spicy nuggs? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, Osaka said:

That's partly what freedom of speech is about 

well actually it isnt.. it's about being safe from prosecution if you talk against the narrative of the government.. in theory Elon could sue Linus for his hot takes, saying they are defamation... but that's a court case under a different set of laws that essentially do the same thing: allow people to have an opinion.

just like OP has his right to an opinion, and i have my right to the opinion that i find it silly that OP made an account on the forum for this.

or actually, by law the forum is private property so if the moderation team decides none of this is okay, they are completely within their (legal) rights to delete all of this... law is strange.

on topic... the whole freedom of speech, musk pro/con, twitter is on fire, everything is black and white nonsense... it's awful, from both sides of the problem.

as for the particular short we're on about.. where is the political bias in this? is it simply because it is about elon? you can literally replace 'elon' and 'twitter' in this short with every recent platform buyout and it would be the same darn clip...

- tumblr getting aquired by yahoo

- minecraft getting aquired by microsoft

- twitch getting aquired by amazon

- FurAffinty getting aquired by IMVU Inc. (no one remeber this one? yeah.. makes sense, my friends keep reminding me though...)

Yet another who has no idea what freedom of speech is... They think it means they do say whatever they want without consequences of "censorship".

The concept of freedom of speech as a "human right" is more of a guideline by the UN. These are not enforceable other than "pretty please". Otherwise there wouldn't be war crimes happening in Ukraine and elsewhere right now.

There's zero laws that says everyone has to give you a platform to shout your BS and force everyone else to listen.

In the US, "freedom of speech" is just the 1st Amendment. Which only protects your bad opinions from government entities and only if it isn't something that's deemed to be bad/illegal (like issuing death threat... You can't say it's your right to say you'll kill someone even if you're not serious about it, that's a threat and you can be fined/sued/jailed by the gov for that).

If a private entity, business or individual, tells you that your presence and opinions are not welcomes on their property, they have the right to ask you to stop and/or kick you out. This isn't censorship. They have the right to not give you a platform to spout your BS they do not agree with and no amount of crying about "freedom of speech" will change that. Because at that point, you're infringing on THEIR rights, too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

So you're against free speech on a social media platform, but you're also fine with a tech youtuber getting into politics? Thats kind of ironic lol.

The amount of simping for Linus while hating on Musk's business decisions on the forum lately is interesting.

It's extremely ironic that you're putting Musk as a champion of freeze peaching (excuse me while i try to not die of laughter) while saying that a tech youtuber should not get into polítics.

It's also extremely funny the fact that this is my seventh reply in this forum, i have never said anything about Linus and you're thinking i'm simping for him

Even better: You say im simping for him because i'm defending his freedom of speech

Holy f*CK, dude.

You know what? I'll bite. I'll simp for Linus. Call me whenever Linus spies, doxx and swats an ex-employee that leaks unsafe working conditions. Call me when Linus calls a scuba who put his life on the line for a group of kids a pedo. Call me whenever Linus gets on contact with an authoritarian government to censor negative articles and opinions LTT.

Not to mention, Linus is likable, happy to have a Kick laughting of himself and isn't a manbaby who bought a whole social network on a whim.

XKCD continues to say it well:

free_speech.png.e77435e40c1704f2a1eeb8218e8593ed.png

Linus is Canadian, of course, and the video doesn't even really mount the attacks the OP claims, but the point still stands... criticism by itself is not a criticism of free speech. Musk is entitled to speak about his free speech absolutism without the government cracking down; he is not entitled to avoid criticism.

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Freedom of speech in the United States protects you from the GOVERNMENT attempting to limit your ability to speak freely* and has nothing to do with private entities moderating their platform to keep it from turning into a further cesspool.

True, but heres where i think we have 2 differing view points on this topic.

1) Twitter is a private company and thus doesnt fall under the primary extent of the US freedom of speech laws.

2) This is a private company BUT the whole argument a large group of people, inc Musk, are making is that this is effectively like the modern town Square, and should be treated as such. Laws will always run behind changing times, but here we have an example , according to some, of a new 'thing' in our society, a digital town square where the laws of Freedom of Speech should be upheld as if it were government run despite it being technically a private company.

I would hope no one has any problems with the concept of freedom of speech in a general sense, it is certainly very telling of an individuals morals if they are against the concept. What i would rather hope is that we have a difference of opinion between people on whether or not Twitter ,and social media in general, should be treated differently than traditional companies in regards to said freedom of speech or lack there of.

A compounding issue ofc with all of this, is the massive level of polarization we currently have in western societies across the board nowadays (not just political which we shoudl at least try to avoid as a subject here, but social, economic, religious etc etc). Especially in the US where unfortunately most of big tech is located. This polarization has led to an 'effective' extremist attitude towards the opposing group, so no matter what is said, even if technically both sides should agree, one side will never agree with what the other is saying regardless of how sensible it is.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

7 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

this is the modern town Square

The town square was, by definition, public property. 

14 minutes ago, Osaka said:

It's extremely ironic that you're putting Musk as a champion of freeze peaching (excuse me while i try to not die of laughter) while saying that a tech youtuber should not get into polítics.

It's also extremely funny the fact that this is my seventh reply in this forum, i have never said anything about Linus and you're thinking i'm simping for him

Even better: You say im simping for him because i'm defending his freedom of speech

I'm not championing him for free speech at all, I doubt he would be able to accomplish that without twitter turning into even more of a mess, what I would welcome however is Musk for to improve the platform so it isn't biased towards the people which have the blue check mark. And I'd like to see a change so users can limit their posts so they aren't picked up by the algorithm so some group of people don't end up offended at a users whos posts they wouldn't be reading anyway.

The comment of people simping for Linus is aimed at the thread in general, i'm sorry if it seemed like it was aimed at you. I just find it rather frustrating how much people fanboy for LTT nowdays if someone comes in with a opinion that goes against the general opinion.

19 minutes ago, Osaka said:

Holy f*CK, dude.

You know what? I'll bite. I'll simp for Linus. Call me whenever Linus spies, doxx and swats an ex-employee that leaks unsafe working conditions. Call me when Linus calls a scuba who put his life on the line for a group of kids a pedo. Call me whenever Linus gets on contact with an authoritarian government to censor negative articles and opinions LTT.

Not to mention, Linus is likable, happy to have a Kick laughting of himself and isn't a manbaby who bought a whole social network on a whim.

The point is LMG isn't perfect either, Musk has done some scummy things, but so have a lot of other companies. And I say I lost what credibility I had for LTT is because of after their hot take on ad blocking, despite them showing how to run a pi-hole and telling you ad blocking is good, but no all of a sudden if anyone uses an ad blocker for LTT they're a filthy pirate for wanting to save time and not sit through egregious amounts of annoying ads.

Simping/fanboying is bad, but it makes a lot more sense to hang out on the forum of a creator who fanboy for than to keep hanging out on the forum of a creator you don't even like and looking for opportunities to bring up how much they suck and how you don't watch their content anymore. Yet we have a whole contingent of people here who do just that. 

bruh did i just fall into my parents political argument that is this comment section

1 hour ago, Forumusername said:

)

Ummmm Im sorry, I think you typed the wrong URL

Twitters URL is twitter.com , this is Linustechtips.com

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

The town square was, by definition, public property. 

IfI the point ur trying to make is that to become a 'town square' Twitter would need to be public property ergo 'government run' ..then its a fair point.

But I did choose my words carefully when i said the word 'treated' ..and did not sat 'become'.

I believe people on one side of the argument want Twitter and social media 'treated' as a town square in regards to the ability to discuss opinions and share information. not outright become it in all ways, as I dont think any1 wants Social media government controlled.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, Forumusername said:

I know almost all of you will say I'm being dramatic, but you should really see this for what it is. LTT has lost all credibility in my mind from this video, I hope it was worth it.

From your single post history it doesn't seem like you were involved in the community or invested in Tech Media besides topical entertainment and information. Nothing has been lost here.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

4 hours ago, Forumusername said:

did we watch the same same video?

1. he's gonna be too busy, which is a decent possibility

2. ppl will quit, this is a given

3. twitter will still suck, this is also a given

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Just to be clear, the three opinions expressed here are

- Elon has a lot to learn about the complexities of running a massive social media company.

- Twitter will experience an employee exodus.

- Twitter will not stop being a toxic cesspool.

What does any of this have to do with free speech? What is this thread even about?

Let's not engage in the infinitely escalating flame wars over nothing that make Twitter the toxic cesspool that Linus described.

EDIT: Oops, xg32 beat me to it.

Edited by RobPhebar

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 5600X | GPU: RTX 4090 | RAM: 32GB 3600 MT/s CL16 | MOBO: MSI MPG B550I | PSU: Corsair HX 1200 | Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 802 | Displays: 55" LG C1 + LG 34GP83A-B | Audio: HD600 + Mackie MR524 | M/K: MX Vertical + ZSA Moonlander

Laptop 

2019 16" Macbook Pro

3 hours ago, RobPhebar said:

Just to be clear, the three opinions expressed here are

- Elon has a lot to learn about the complexities of running a massive social media company.

- Twitter will experience an employee exodus.

- Twitter will not stop being a toxic cesspool.

What does any of this have to do with free speech? What is this thread even about?

This meme, but replace "valid criticism" with "anything less than total adoration":

DiKmPSMUwAAreKD.jpg