Why LTT ignors Garmin smartwatches?

I am a long time Ltt fan, but I would always find what I need on the forum without asking myself. So here is my first post.

So here is my gripe with LTT:
Why are LTT and other tech YouTubers ignoring the existence of Garmin smartwatches?

Latest example is in last wanshow

As far I can see, they offer all things they want:
long battery life
always-on screen
notifications
music controls

True they are expensive but I am not sure that is the issue for this audience.

There have been a lot of comments in youtube videos that have not been addressed. Here on the forum, some people have recommended them with a lukewarm reception.  Is there a feud I am not aware of?
I this a Garmin marketing department fail?

Disclaimer I am not affiliated with Gamin in any way, just a fanboy(fenix3, swim2, fenix 6pro)(do not bring your smartwatches to the sauna, heat killed my swim2 )

7 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Gaming smart watches exist? 🤣

For what purpose?

Garmin, not gamin'.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/wearables-smartwatches/

If you want a gaming watch, we had those 25 years ago.

Tiger Electronic Games | Video Games Amino

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

15 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Gaming smart watches exist? 🤣

For what purpose?

I would say read before posting but i guess we all do it 😅

Edited by zaocovik
quoted text edited

I have used garmin smart band (very old) and it was okay. The strap broke(after more than a year but still) which i did not expected for such an expensive watch. Prior to this one of the garmin smart bands had failed due to which i was offered an upgraded model by putting some extra money (i dont remember exactly).

But I can find some reasons why they arent as much popular as samsung or apple. Simply because they arent associated with smartphone brands make people loose interest who want their smartwatches to have exclusive features related to smartphones. Its like bose makes quite good earbuds but still samsung or apple earbuds are more popluar because of their audience and various schemes with smartphones. Also while advertising smartphones, they get automatically advertised so the marketing is on a different level. 

Viewing Popular : r/southpark

2 hours ago, zaocovik said:

Disclaimer I am not affiliated with Gamin in any way, just a fanboy

That much is clear if you think someone is actively ignoring something you like when in reality, the reason is probably much more mundane: They haven't heard about it, they don't think their target demographic would have an interest in seeing content about it, they haven't requested or been sent a sample from Garmin, the list goes on. They have no reason to just check out stuff "because". 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I would say read before posting but i guess we all do it 😅

Yeah, my bad. :old-laugh: Gaming has been so overused that I just glanced at the word and assumed.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Is there a feud I am not aware of?
I this a Garmin marketing department fail?

I doubt there's any type of "drama" going on. It's most likely a mix of a few things, namely that Garmin brand products simply don't attract the same amount of attention (views) as brands like Apple and Samsung do and Garmin not engaging with media/youtubers to give review samples or sponsor projects.

I don't think a video on a Garmin smartwatch would be something LMG would cover on their main "Linus Tech Tips" channel as a dedicated video, I don't think there would be enough interest in it from the audience and I don't think they could translate a review of it in to an entertaining video. What they might do though is a round up of "Best smart watches" style video comparing a bunch of different models and brands in one video including some of Garmin's options. I could also see them doing a video dedicated on a Garmin smartwatch on the smaller Short Circuit channel which does less involved product showcases.

If you do want to suggest content around any product you can drop a suggestion in the LTT Video Suggestions thread.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 4/23/2022 at 3:05 PM, Avocado Diaboli said:

Viewing Popular : r/southpark

That much is clear if you think someone is actively ignoring something you like when in reality, the reason is probably much more mundane: They haven't heard about it, they don't think their target demographic would have an interest in seeing content about it, they haven't requested or been sent a sample from Garmin, the list goes on. They have no reason to just check out stuff "because". 

I would agree with you 100% but this is at least fifth time that Linus is complaynig "why someone can't make product like this". That product exists and it is made by Garmin. Even Sunto can be considered, but I am not familiar with they product line so I focused on Garmin. And this is not the first time that people are screaming Garmin in comments.

On 4/23/2022 at 3:44 PM, Spotty said:

I don't think there would be enough interest in it from the audience and I don't think they could translate a review of it in to an entertaining video. What they might do though is a round up of "Best smart watches" style video comparing a bunch of different models and brands in one video including some of Garmin's options. I could also see them doing a video dedicated on a Garmin smartwatch on the smaller Short Circuit channel which does less involved product showcases.

Linus has said that smartwatches are pore performers on last week Wan Show. I agree they are a niche product and Short circuit would be a more appropriate platform. There are multiple specialized channels that go in-depth in multiple videos for each model. There is no need for that. As you suggested Best smartwatches would be a good idea with a focus on "smart" part and I will make a post on the linked thread. But I am annoyed "why there is no product like this" that I had on my wrist for almost two years.

On 4/23/2022 at 1:40 PM, Murasaki said:

Only thing Garmin i've ever heard of is GPS for cars.

This proves my point. I guess all this should be addressed to Garmin for bad marketing

On 4/23/2022 at 2:40 PM, lieder1987 said:

Because sports and gamers generally are not symbiotic passions? 

We are few and far apart 😂
To me most of the LTT crew seems reasonably fit. And those are not has expressed desire to be.
And I am hoping that Linus will inspire more people(like he inspired me) to be more fit. He did say that he will provide space for fitness for his employees  in the new building.

Would be more health oriented videos controversial on this platform?

I think Garmin watches are marketed towards the outdoor adventure market. 

6 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Only thing Garmin i've ever heard of is GPS for cars.

Garmin makes the best aviation gps systems available today and have for decades.  

He used to primarily use one and only stop a few years ago. Smart watches just aren't exciting for him.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

2 hours ago, RoseLuck462 said:

He used to primarily use one and only stop a few years ago. Smart watches just aren't exciting for him.

That is because he didn't start to use Garmin 😄

I think the primary audience for smartwatch content is more of an enthusiast for the segment and more likely to be informed than the average user who has little/no interest in smartwatches.

I can think of two possible reasons.

1) Linus just doesn't know about them. I find this hard to believe since Garmin is a quite big brand in the watch industry, but who knows. Maybe Linus hasn't done his research.

2) LMG is fishing for a sponsorship. Remember, contrary to what Linus wants to you believe, the LTT channel is primarily an ad channel.

You, the viewers, are the product, which gets sold to advertisers. LTT gets paid by companies to show you their products.

If Garmin doesn't pay Linus to show their watches, it doesn't make much sense for Linus to acknowledge they even exist. If Garmin decides to send Linus a watch and a big stack of cash then maybe we will start hearing how good Garmin watches are from Linus.

13 hours ago, wolverine104 said:

I think the primary audience for smartwatch content is more of an enthusiast for the segment and more likely to be informed than the average user who has little/no interest in smartwatches.

Thats why Linus has to do better 😉

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I can think of two possible reasons.

1) Linus just doesn't know about them. I find this hard to believe since Garmin is a quite big brand in the watch industry, but who knows. Maybe Linus hasn't done his research.

2) LMG is fishing for a sponsorship. Remember, contrary to what Linus wants to you believe, the LTT channel is primarily an ad channel.

You, the viewers, are the product, which gets sold to advertisers. LTT gets paid by companies to show you their products.

If Garmin doesn't pay Linus to show their watches, it doesn't make much sense for Linus to acknowledge they even exist. If Garmin decides to send Linus a watch and a big stack of cash then maybe we will start hearing how good Garmin watches are from Linus.

1 seem likly

2 is very cynical view of the world and hope you are wrong

4 hours ago, zaocovik said:

1 seem likly

Probably #1. I had not even heard that Garmin did smartwatches until someone brought them up in a debate about fitness trackers. And I've still got a Garmin nav system in my car* and am very aware of Garmin's avionics (flight simmer, though I prefer steam gauges)

*I've decided built-in infotainment systems suck. If they glitch you have to turn your car off and then on again to get them working. I like my electronics not to require me to turn off the heat/AC to fix bugs... 

At least they haven't reviewed G-Shock Smart watches yet... I bet it'll just be 10 minutes of complete negativity because of the monochrome display. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

At least they haven't reviewed G-Shock Smart watches yet... I bet it'll just be 10 minutes of complete negativity because of the monochrome display. 

didn't Linus wear orange one?

wow expensive
after googling for that feature set i would go for Garmin Instinct(you can go infinite battery with solar version, so they claim )

This question should be put to the Garmin marketing team. LTT won't cover something like this unless they're paid, as is apparent by their cell phone unboxings. 

Their watches are also pretty expensive which is likely a large detractor. When people look at a price like that, they'll default to the Apple watch. 

On 4/25/2022 at 2:55 AM, zaocovik said:

1 seem likly

It's more accurate than anything. Fishing might be a bit much but they won't look at it for free. 

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Apparently the watches are pretty meh so I can't really blame them 😂

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Their watches are also pretty expensive which is likely a large detractor. When people look at a price like that, they'll default to the Apple watch. 

Garmin watches really aren't that expensive if you need a rugged outdoor watch, a Garmin Instinct can be under $200 on sale, and it isn't even a comparison to the Apple watch in terms of durability, or battery life.

But I guess a outdoor kind of watch ideal for people that hike or ride trails isn't very ideal for the LTT audience so its probably why they haven't reviewed one besides wanting to be paid for a review. The idea of expecting to be paid for every review strikes me as weird for some products, sometimes its in the best interest to buy products, and I have much more trust in a reviewer which buys at least some of their products.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Garmin watches really aren't that expensive if you need a rugged outdoor watch, a Garmin Instinct can be under $200 on sale, and it isn't even a comparison to the Apple watch in terms of durability, or battery life.

But I guess a outdoor kind of watch ideal for people that hike or ride trails isn't very ideal for the LTT audience so its probably why they haven't reviewed one besides wanting to be paid for a review. The idea of expecting to be paid for every review strikes me as weird for some products, sometimes its in the best interest to buy products, and I have much more trust in a reviewer which buys at least some of their products.

ah, I guess they do have a few cheaper models, but the majority of their watches are in the $500 - $1,000 range. They even have some inthe $3,000 range. I totally agree on your stance with the reviews, but Linus has said time and again that he's unlikely to review something if it's not paid, since "he has mouths to feed." I kind of get it, but at the same time it really devalues their reviews. Which I don't think they even really do anymore. It's more like product showcases, turning into a tech version of QVC.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red