Do you still use discs (CDs/DVDs/Blu-Rays/etc.)?

FRD

Do you still use any form of discs nowadays?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use discs (including videogame discs)? Any type like CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/Minidisc/UMD/etcetera

• Yes, I still use any kind of discs on daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis
    • No, I never use them (anymore)

Time for a simple poll. I'm wondering who still uses any shape or form of compact discs and who doesn't.

I know many people don't use them anymore, but they're still common and around. Hence the reason they still have consoles that take game discs, for example.

Personally, I still use them on a monthly/few months basis. I like to play old videogames on PC from time to time and I still kept the discs. I also have my old console collection from Xbox, PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Only last year I decided to take out my 2nd DVD drive in my PC as I don't burn CDs/DVDs anymore like 10 or more years ago. Now I have 1 optical drive in my PC that I still need and use from time to time.

I decided to use my old case for my new build as many new cases don't have a 5.25" optical drive slot anymore nowadays. Also, I'm not too into glass/acrylic window cases much, it's about airflow for me.

Yes, they are still viable for me to use them offline offsite storage. I burn around 8-10 Dual layer DVDs annually for photo and video backups.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I build PCs for people still on a fairly regular basis and I'm still surprised by how many end up saying (after they say they didn't need one) they wished they had their PC built with an CD / DVD drive. Usually it's playing / ripping physical media that people seem to miss the most. I always tell those people to get an external, which some have, but those are kind of a pain compared to something built it. 

I still use my optical drive on a fairly regular basis. 

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Yes, they are still viable for me to use them offline offsite storage. I burn around 8-10 Dual layer DVDs annually for photo and video backups.

My dad actually does that too for backups of photos and videos, it's a pretty solid backup option even to this day.

4 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I build PCs for people still on a fairly regular basis and I'm still surprised by how many end up saying (after they say they didn't need one) they wished they had their PC built with an CD / DVD drive. Usually it's playing / ripping physical media that people seem to miss the most. I always tell those people to get an external, which some have, but those are kind of a pain compared to something built it. 

I still use my optical drive on a fairly regular basis. 

That's right, sometimes you might find out you do need an optical drive, it's not totally dead yet. I also think it's better to have one just in case, instead of none.

If I want to burn something right now, I also use an external drive. It's quick and easy, but built in is still the best.

The times that I had to use both built in drives at the same time for burning are not common anymore nowadays for me.

My movies don't disappear when a contract between my media shelf and a studio expires.

I also still burn bootable DVDs for various systems.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I still have a BluRay and DVD Drive in both my main system and my dinning room system. It's mostly used for ripping Music/Videos/Software to my local server.

I however don't use them for storing new data apart from the rare occasional recovery/installation disc when I don't have an original copy.

29 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

My movies don't disappear when a contract between my media shelf and a studio expires.

Same for games.  Several months back I was telling my son about Simpsons Hit and Run, and I was like wait let me just show you and went and grabbed a my copy and installed it.  I have quite a few physical games that you're only choice at this point is find an old physical copy or find it through less than legitmate means. Which is unfortunate. 

5 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Same for games.  Several months back I was telling my son about Simpsons Hit and Run, and I was like wait let me just show you and went and grabbed a my copy and installed it.  I have quite a few physical games that you're only choice at this point is find an old physical copy or find it through less than legitmate means. Which is unfortunate. 

Same here, I still have a ton of physical games. Finding them digitally nowadays is pretty hard and usually illegal. And if it's legal it's usually sold at a bad price.

Still, it's a bummer that many old games don't work that perfectly on newer Windows versions (10/11). It was fine on my old W7.

Simpsons Hit and Run is a great game by the way, I missed it back in the day as I wasn't a Simpsons fan myself.

We ditched our cable box a year ago and have a small Pentium PC that  we use for streaming and playing DVD and CD media.  I have one of those drives that supports BluRay but only have a couple of BluRay movies that came packaged with the DVD set.  I could not get VLC to play them, probably because the codecs are not available and I didn't want to pay for BluRay software. 

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

2 hours ago, FRD said:

Time for a simple poll. I'm wondering who still uses any shape or form of compact discs and who doesn't.

I know many people don't use them anymore, but they're still common and around. Hence the reason they still have consoles that take game discs, for example.

Personally, I still use them on a monthly/few months basis. I like to play old videogames on PC from time to time and I still kept the discs. I also have my old console collection from Xbox, PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Only last year I decided to take out my 2nd DVD drive in my PC as I don't burn CDs/DVDs anymore like 10 or more years ago. Now I have 1 optical drive in my PC that I still need and use from time to time.

I decided to use my old case for my new build as many new cases don't have a 5.25" optical drive slot anymore nowadays. Also, I'm not too into glass/acrylic window cases much, it's about airflow for me.

My wife and I have a ton of old dvds and cd's but they rarely work when it comes to old pc games and apps. Neither one of our vehicles have a cd player, so the music cds are just collecting dust.

Over half of our movie collection can be found on netflix or hulu which is a lot more convenient than the trouble of having to stand up, remove the dvd, inserting it into our xbox and hitting play...LOL

glances around the office

sees more 5 optical drives

sees blank Blu-Rays, DVDs, and CDs

sees boot discs of every major OS X version from 10.0-10.6

sees boot discs of every Windows version 95-8.1

Indeed I do. I made an Undertale game CD just for fun. It works too! A bit slow to start, but no lag in-game.

elephants

image.thumb.png.49726d1b4c9d082c13d0b5bbf1dad52a.png
And if necessary I could install IDE DVD/CD drives via a PCIe SATAII/IDE controller.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Nope, no disc to be found here. I even recently(last month) got rid of my external USB DVD drive, because I bought it 10 years ago and literally never used it once.

Put all my old discs in the trash, too. Including my old disc based games. Lots of money was put in the trash that day... (I did look up if they were worth anything used, they weren't and the games are linked to my accounts through their serial numbers so I can't donate them either... Yay pc gaming...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I cant remember the last time I used a CD. It has to be at-least 15+ years.

Team Blue. http://Intel.com. Disclosure, I work for Intel but my comments and opinions do not represent the opinions of the company.

5 hours ago, FRD said:

We still have to submit our students work on DVD's since after a disc has been finalized, no edditing can be done on the original disc.

Grade 12 Teacher (CAT and IT)

Yes i do. I do have a ton of horror movies on DVD that you don´t find anywhere online, not even on the shady places. And i am highly annoyed by the lack of cases that have a slot for a 5.25 optical drive. I hate unnessecary cables at my setup and as i don´t have a TV i do need a optical drive in my PC

I actually would like a new case, but i can´t find one i like that has room for a optical drive.

8 hours ago, Levent said:

Careful with that, burned discs don’t last very long. Depending on the brand, they can become unreadable in as little as 5 years.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I never got around to installing a DVD drive that I was going to install back in 2013... so not really.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

I cringe at all the money I spent privateering and burning anime to DVD+R back in the day only for them to have deteriorated and become unreadable.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:09 PM, Dabombinable said:

image.thumb.png.49726d1b4c9d082c13d0b5bbf1dad52a.png
And if necessary I could install IDE DVD/CD drives via a PCIe SATAII/IDE controller.

That's basically what my computer looks like too when I turn on some of my external HDDs.

2 optical drives, nice! I always planned to get a Blu-Ray player or burner as an upgrade to my DVD drive, but it never went through.

I don't use, or need them.. I still have a DVD burner in my kids computer because the case is old enough to hold one.. and for old times sake I guess.. because you never know 😄  But I haven't used a disk in at least 10 years if not more.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

10 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I don't use, or need them.. I still have a DVD burner in my kids computer because the case is old enough to hold one.. and for old times sake I guess.. because you never know 😄  But I haven't used a disk in at least 10 years if not more.

Was just rocking out to some Van Halen on the record player. Stack of XBOX disks.... windows version disks... Yes, disks are still needed quite a bit at my house 🙂 

Occasionally, sure. We have a (not actually that) old car that only reads CDs and unfortunately it's still the only way to get high quality movies in a legal way. Discs are also still a cheaper and more reliable backup option than many others.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*