ASUS Demonstrates New ROG 290X and 780Ti Matrix Feature: Memory Defroster For Extreme Overclocking

KakaoDj

ASUS ROG article (not really any info, everything is in the video)

So this is basically a feature that defrosts your memory when your card is under LN2 to avoid any bugs that comes from cold memory (i have no idea). You plug in a molex connector and turn a switch on, and then the card gets heated up around the GPU, but not the GPU itself of course.

Not really for the average user or gamer, but a cool feature nevertheless. I have gotten my hands on some cheap LN2, and i would love to test it on a GPU, but my 560Ti is not really my ideal test subject  :lol: Good thing the Matrix cards have this feature if i deicde to go for it  ^_^

The video contains super epic music, so strap your hard hats and pants on. (That freezing sound effect doe)

What is the point in defrosting the memory?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

That's.....beautiful.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Wouldn't the memory produce enough heat to defrost itself? (I guess not :P)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Wouldn't the memory produce enough heat to defrost itself? (I guess not :P)

I might not get frosty like you see in the video, but it would still cause a problem.

Tho my knowledge a cold bug occurs when the soldering loses contact (due to flex caused my large temperature difference.)

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

How about instead of putting in features that only .01% of the community will use and doing it for only headlines. They focus on things that matter like a better cooler

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

i like it when he takes off the cooler that there is not thermal paste xD

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

yeah, no.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Yeah maybe they should sell coolerless cards for overclocker competitions but it's kinda pointless to have when you're not putting liquid nitrogen on your card until it dies.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

for those balls to the walls days when you overclock the hell out of your card.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

What is the point in defrosting the memory?

Didn't you read the OP?

-Snippity snip snip snip-

So this is basically a feature that defrosts your memory when your card is under LN2 to avoid any bugs that comes from cold memory .

-Snippity snip snip snip-

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

Yeah maybe they should sell coolerless cards for overclocker competitions but it's kinda pointless to have when you're not putting liquid nitrogen on your card until it dies.

+1 and to be frank I'm pretty sick of manufacturers including liquid nitrogen 'features' on consumer boards. NO ONE USES THEM. If people want to use LN2 they don't need a beastly air cooler or backplate etc. They just need a graphics card, all bear and naked ;)

Wait, as it defrosts, doesn't it melt and change into water? Doesn't water short any of the circuits?

Laptop: METABOX W230ST | Intel i7-4700MQ | 2x4GB Dual Channel Ram | NVIDIA GTX 765M 2GB | 128GB SSD | 1TB HDD | Razer peripherals.

Desktop: Custom Desktop | Intel i5-2400 | 2x4GB Dual Channel G.Skill DDR3 | Gigabyte + XFX R9 280x CF| H61M-USB3-B3 | 1TB HDD

i like it when he takes off the cooler that there is not thermal paste xD

That's like the first thing I noticed lol.

da_deity

+1 and to be frank I'm pretty sick of manufacturers including liquid nitrogen 'features' on consumer boards. NO ONE USES THEM. If people want to use LN2 they don't need a beastly air cooler or backplate etc. They just need a graphics card, all bear and naked ;)

Don't by the matrix cards then. They are really only meant to be bought by people want to overclock the shit out of them, not for people who are going to put them into a normal system and look good. They still put the nice cooler on the thing because it makes it easier to sell to idiots who don't know any better and just by the most expensive thing or what looks the best.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

wouldnt there be moisture created on the pcb doing this?

Wait, as it defrosts, doesn't it melt and change into water? Doesn't water short any of the circuits?

I want to know the truth

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I want to know the truth

the idea is you turn it on before your gpu freezes

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

wouldnt there be moisture created on the pcb doing this?

I want to know the truth

the idea is you turn it on before your gpu freezes

no,

the idea is to keep the space around the memory warmer than the area around the GPU.

normally, working with LN2, you have to put gum-like material all over the place, to protect your circuit from shorting out due to condensation.

That video were for marketing, not to make a true bench-session with LN2.

And to show the effect of this new feature, they let the water condense and freeze, and than melt again, directly on the card.

Because you are using LN2 to test or to compete in benchmarks doesnt mean that after that you throw the card in the garbage... so if you like to return home and play a game with that card or just power up your pc that doesnt have onboard graphics you need the card to be able to work without LN2 as well :P also you may want to sell the card.. who whould buy a naked card? well I suppose some people but having it fully autonomous will increase the market margin.

No atleast not pure HO2 (clean water) its not a good conductor... water from your kitchen fridge etc isnt though pure HO2 and has also some other stuff in it that make it a good conductor.

The problem with ice formed from the HO2 molecules taken from the atmosphere is not its conductivity its that some parts of the pcb (like resistors or capacitors) do not perform as they should in lower temperatures  and thus they affect the graphics card as a whole.