Did anyone turn off his AdBlocker after the Linus PiracyGate

starcar

Did you turn off your AdBlocker because of what Linus said?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Did you turn off your AdBlocker because of what Linus said?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for content I like

5 minutes ago, starcar said:

So did he convince you that you are a pirate and did you change your ways?

I'm not a pirate, simply a Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V guy.

Anyways, I raised the pirate flag on my screenshotted NFT yatch.

SET SAIL LADS!!! WE GOT NFTS TO COPY!!!!

x8aa8.jpg

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

If my security, privacy, and browser performance are considered "Pirating" then so be it. Point me to the nearest Spanish treasure ship please!

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

19 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

If my security, privacy, and browser performance are considered "Pirating" then so be it. Point me to the nearest Spanish treasure ship please!

Is your security, privacy, and browser performance worth more than the livelihood of those sites and influecers you are affecting?

All hail Ghostery, YouTube Vanced and STube

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

2 minutes ago, starcar said:

Is your security, privacy, and browser performance worth more than the livelihood of those sites and influecers you are affecting?

Yes actually.

Everyone seems to think that Youtube's ads are paying out massive sums to creators to run ads and as far other sites again ad revenue is usually a secondary source of income unless you are something like BuzzFeed that has no other product but ads.

Besides there are still plenty of people who just sit through the ads for one reason or another so Linus's complaints are at most much ado about nothing.

3 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

Besides there are still plenty of people who just sit through the ads for one reason or another so Linus's complaints are at most much ado about nothing.

Isn't that mainly people who don't know how to block ads? Would YouTube and tikdok even exist if adblocking was being taught at schools?

1 minute ago, starcar said:

Isn't that mainly people who don't know how to block ads? Would YouTube and tikdok even exist if adblocking was being taught at schools?

Youtube would still exist its just that we would see more creators doing more of the same sponsor spots they do now. As for users it could be those who don't know how or those whose computers are locked down in some way like in a work setting to prevent the use of 3rd party adblockers.

I pay for YouTube Premium so 🤷‍♂️

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The only two things that whole debacle convinced me of were:

1) Linus doesn't know the definition of "piracy".

2) Linus is incapable of admitting when he is wrong.

I've also learned that Linus-haters can't read or doesn't stop beating the dead horse.
1) Linus indeed does not know the legal definition of piracy.
2) Linus has taken a step back and clarified the word was inappropriately used and is now using 'free-loading' (or privateering for the memes)

On topic, I've used adblock the day I found it but I now have Youtube Premium so as to pay my share. I wonder how many adblockers actually sign up for Youtube Premium. I'm guessing I'm one of the rare ones. 

1 minute ago, crazzp said:

I've also learned that Linus-haters can't read or doesn't stop beating the dead horse.

The same can be said for the Linus Stans as well, who keep jumping in to defending him even when he was clearly wrong.

2 minutes ago, crazzp said:

2) Linus has taken a step back and clarified the word was inappropriately used and is now using 'free-loading' (or privateering for the memes)

Did he really do that though? To me it seemed like he changed his wording not because he thought he was wrong, but because he wanted people to shut up.

It's not really admitting that you're wrong if you go "I guess I'll change the word because people are so stupid to understand what I mean", which is basically what Linus said for 40 minutes during the WAN show.

Did he ever actually say "I was wrong" or "I used the word piracy incorrectly" or something along those lines?

It's good that he has stopped calling it piracy though, since it isn't. Correcting yourself and admitting that you were wrong are two different things though.

4 minutes ago, crazzp said:

On topic, I've used adblock the day I found it but I now have Youtube Premium so as to pay my share. I wonder how many adblockers actually sign up for Youtube Premium. I'm guessing I'm one of the rare ones. 

I was thinking of signing up for YouTube Red because it was bothering me on my start TV. However, before I pulled the trigger I realized the sponsor spots are equally, if not more annoying than the pre-roll ads, and YouTube Red doesn't ger rid of those. As a result, I still need to use things like YouTube Vanced and SmartTube Next to get a decent Youtube viewing experience, and at that point I personally don't really see any reason to get YouTube Red. 

If YouTube Red actually gave me an ad-free experience then I would get it. As it stands now however, YouTube Red is not worth the cost since it only gets rid of like 1/3 of the ads I see on Youtube.

You should add the option of not having an ad blocker. Kind of a crucial option to miss 😉

53 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

Youtube would still exist its just that we would see more creators doing more of the same sponsor spots they do now. As for users it could be those who don't know how or those whose computers are locked down in some way like in a work setting to prevent the use of 3rd party adblockers.

Kind of. It wouldn't be anywhere near the same, and for those just starting out, would be massively more difficult. Companies rarely sponsor small creators, and you need the ad revenue to grow. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

30 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You should add the option of not having an ad blocker. Kind of a crucial option to miss 😉

Kind of. It wouldn't be anywhere near the same, and for those just starting out, would be massively more difficult. Companies rarely sponsor small creators, and you need the ad revenue to grow. 

Considering how bad of a idea it is too make YouTube your bread and butter because the both ads don't pay near as much as people seem to think they do especially when you are getting a few cents per a view in most cases where creators have spoken about their income and on top of YouTube's random rule and copyright enforcement I don't think small creators are going to be as affected as you think.

Patreon, Subscribe Star, and merchandise seem to be the go to solutions for funding in the modern age of YouTube.

1 hour ago, BetteBalterZen said:

All hail Ghostery, YouTube Vanced and STube

If you don't want to sideload vanced, using the Brave mobile browser also blocks ads. Plus it also enables PiP for video playback, which is normally a YT premium feature.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

If you don't want to sideload vanced, using the Brave mobile browser also blocks ads. Plus it also enables PiP for video playback, which is normally a YT premium feature.

Oh alright, thanks mate but Vanced is okay hehe 😁👍

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I agree with Linus that using adblock is piracy. But like i said on other threads. If i have to be a pirate to make the internet useable, then so be it. Hearing all about this controversy didn't change my view on using adblocker at all. Sites have been using popups to communicate the fact they depend on ads for ages. (especially for adblock users) It's no secret and it's not more apparent now than it has been before the "controversy". Imo this just stated the obvious. 

Still, even though i use adblockers for everything without exception i have been supporting sites or poeple i like. Either through stuff like lifetime premium on Nexusmods.com or buying stuff on store.gamersnexus.net.

People saying they actually make exceptions for some youtubers and disable adblock when watching their content are mostly liars. Not saying they don't exist, but in most cases they don't.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Not sure, the times ive tried leaving it off i get non-skippable ads that last 5 minutes in total but when i DO have it enabled most of the time and ads DOES get throguh its only one ad and its skippable in 5 seconds. Weird fuckery of a youtube system.

Only have it disabled for this website and other tech websites.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Honestly this Linus' take is bad on many levels.

First of all, are you pirating a TV show if you go make a cup of tea during ad breaks? With this logic, yes. Obviously this makes absolutely no sense, since even cable TV companies provide their "boxes" (don't really know english name) with options to skip the ads. Are the companies actively providing ways of pirating their own content?

Second of all, it doesn't really matter if you don't watch the ad or block it entirely. Thus, are pirating if you don't look at the screen why ad plays? Are you pirating if you play it without sound? This situation is literally equal, since in neither of these cases do you have any idea what is the ad about. But Linus (and it seems OP too) just cares about himself and content creators, not genuinely what is right or wrong.

Finnaly, if there is implied contract, does that mean the content creator is responsible for the advertisment? If the ad is a scam, and that happens, should content creator be responisble for this? Because if the ad isn't independent from the content, ad scamming people should be treated just as content creator scamming people. By this "contract" content creator provided you this ad, and this is contract between you and him. And if it is independent... well, adblocking is not piracy.

Technical issues aside, i don't feel bad blocking ads, because advertisers don't care about you anyways. They will use any possibility you give them to sell your data without your constent. Also random autoplay videos are super annoying.

Anyway, I recommend Louis Rossman take on this.

I turned it on.

I am a YouTube Premium user and have been paying since the feature started. Back then the adds weren't too bad but I had a business with a software budget so I payed.

After I commented on the original post I decided to log out to see what it is like now and I found it unwatchable.

When I last watched(2015) it was mainly banners, not full blown videos.

What I did find interesting was the difference in content I got not logged in.

So now I use Chrome that it is always logged in but also Firefox with Ghosty enabled to see different content. 

I also learned that a site can block anyone using an adblocker if they wanted to. So if YouTube wanted to block you they could but don't. 

I wonder why.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 hours ago, starcar said:

Yes. Massive companies will survive if I, a single person, blocks them from showing me annoying ads.

Just because Linus says something and he has a lot of money and a YouTube channel blah blah doesn't mean he is right.