Are we pirates?

26 minutes ago, irishbeast said:

I'm guessing this is a joke thats gone over my head?

Youtube Premium certainly not free in the UK!

"YTPs" in this case is referring to "YouTube Poops", videos that are crudely cut together for humorous effect. They're basically video shitposts.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Yes, I am pirating for legal reasons. Don't @ me.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

"YTPs" in this case is referring to "YouTube Poops", videos that are crudely cut together for humorous effect. They're basically video shitposts.

Ah now I see. Thanks for pointing that out 🙂

9 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

can a ut post a video on ut and ytp ? or is it one or the other? im guessing i cant see utp content on yt?

It's not separate content, if you have premium you just watch without ads.

The only content you can only see with premium is the youtube originals, i.e. videos that youtube have produced/paid people to make for themselves. Not a big loss. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

can a ut post a video on ut and ytp ? or is it one or the other? im guessing i cant see utp content on yt?

seems like i see lots of uters wither double channels too to increasing the odds of making it big?

i mean its up to the utber on what ads the put in and some are like 4 mints long... witch will make others stop watching...

So there does exist "exclusive" YouTube Premium content but the vast majority of content on YT Premium is the same as regular YouTube, just without ads.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

is fast forwarding ads with DVR piracy?
is manually clicking ahead in youtube piracy?
is manually clicking ahead in youtube, while paying for youtube premium, piracy?
does automating any of these processes turn them into piracy?

referring to the wider web, if I load a web article in lynx, without loading the graphical ads, no adblock involved, is that piracy?

if my workplace has a strict webfilter that blocks advertisements from loading, am I commiting piracy every time I visit a website, or my employer?

Maybe a clever programmer can create an adblock that fools the website into thinking a blocked ad has been allowed to load. 

The platform and the creator win because they get their cut and the ad agency that created the ad gets to cite metrics that show how well their ad is doing and so they can continue to charge money to create them.  Everyone is happy. As well, it wouldn't be in anyone's interest to disallow or prevent such an adblocker to operate! It's almost too much winning!

Oh oh; until the companies commissioning the ads get wind of it.  They might take their annoying ads away entirely. Creators will have to stop relying on "annoying the audience'' as a revenue generator. An entire sector of the consumer economy could collapse because people are either no longer being annoyed, or are no longer paying to not be annoyed...

38 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

Maybe a clever programmer can create an adblock that fools the website into thinking a blocked ad has been allowed to load. 

The platform and the creator win because they get their cut and the ad agency that created the ad gets to cite metrics that show how well their ad is doing and so they can continue to charge money to create them.  Everyone is happy. As well, it wouldn't be in anyone's interest to disallow or prevent such an adblocker to operate! It's almost too much winning!

Oh oh; until the companies commissioning the ads get wind of it.  They might take their annoying ads away entirely. Creators will have to stop relying on "annoying the audience'' as a revenue generator. An entire sector of the consumer economy could collapse because people are either no longer being annoyed, or are no longer paying to not be annoyed...

https://adnauseam.io/ YOU MEAN THE THING I POSTED ALREADY THAT EVERYONE IGNORED?

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

https://adnauseam.io/ YOU MEAN THE THING I POSTED ALREADY THAT EVERYONE IGNORED?

I feel like 9/10 people don't read anything posted beyond the 1st page and the pages their replies are on. 😄
Anyhow, almost page 30, woohoo.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

On 1/29/2022 at 4:02 AM, Alvin853 said:

With ads comes a lot of tracking, gathering personal information and preferences, and so on... Plus some users are on limited data plans, especially mobile, I'm paying for my limited data, why should I be using that limited data to load ads? The real pirates are the companies serving ads, they rip everybody off

Couldn't agree more, Furthermore, from a viewer-perspective Advertisors are the uninvited Pirates of Your Attention. While it is the right of Creators to have a deal with Sponsors of course - remember that at that point it is Our Attention that becomes the Product for sale in the deal.

What about TV? Must I consider myself a Pirate for flicking the channel when an ad comes on?

In the logic of the Creator's accusation directed to his own audience of Piracy sighted in the initial Post, it would follow that the only 'legal' way to avoid the unwanted intrusion of ads would be to tune out - hit unsubscribe.

I think I will reserve the right to decide as much as is still possible what I spend my precious and dwindling supply of attention on!

🏴‍☠️

Acer Predator Helios 300 – Model #PH315-53-764Q CPU-Z

• Keyboard — Corsair K57 RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard – Model #RGP0085
  • Memory (RAM) — 64GB Kingston FURY Impact – Part #KF432S20IBK2/64
  • Mouse — Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse – Model #RGP0052
  • Operating System — Windows 11 Professional (64-bit)
  • Stand — TopMate C11 Gaming Cooler
  • Storage (HDD, SSD)
    • 1× 4TB Samsung 870 EVO – Model #MZ-77E4T0B/AM
    • 2× 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus – Model #MZ-V7S2T0/AM

Anda Seat Kaiser Series Premium Gaming Chair – Kaiser II – Model #AD12XL-02-AB-PV/C-A02

HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e

Samsung 7.1.2 Soundbar – Model #HW-Q900A/ZC

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite – Model #SM-T227U

Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro – Model #SM-R925F

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 – Model #SM-F721W

TP-Link Archer AX11000 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router

• 3× TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch with 8-Port PoE+ – Model #TL-SG1016PE
    Noctua 40x20mm Premium Fan – Model #NF-A4x20 FLX
      • TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender – Model #RE705X
    • IoT
      • TP-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender – Model #RE305

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Well there you go! Adnauseum is intended to act as a protest while preventing ads from being seen by making ad metrics useless to those who rely on them. I was thinking of a more benign, invisible approach. But certainly the techniques used by Adnauseum would be useful.

In Adnauseum's FAQ they explain that for YouTube, adblocking is against Google's terms of service if the viewer is logged in to a Google account. Adnauseum recommends viewing YouTube without being logged in to a Google account regardless of any adblocking.

4 hours ago, D1D01 said:

What about TV? Must I consider myself a Pirate for flicking the channel when an ad comes on?

Unless you're a Nielsen house, your viewing habits are completely irrelevant and do not affect the ratings TV stations use to sell ad time in the slightest.

42 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Unless you're a Nielsen house, your viewing habits are completely irrelevant and do not affect the ratings TV stations use to sell ad time in the slightest.

Um, Viewer habits do not affect TV ratings in the slightest? - ok

42 minutes ago, D1D01 said:

Um, Viewer habits do not affect TV ratings in the slightest? - ok

They don't unless you're a Nielsen household. Ratings are determined by a few hundred households in each market, who deliberately track their viewing habits. Nielsen takes that data, does some secret math wizardry to extrapolate their habits out to an entire TV market, and then hands those numbers out to the local stations. Stations can then point to these numbers when they sell commercial space to companies.

If you aren't one of those households, your viewing habits mean squat to the ratings.

It's absurd and stuck in the 1970s, but it's the due to regulatory restrictions and inertia. (The technology to track everything is certainly there now that everyone has to use a cable box, but that opens up a TON of questions regarding privacy and the telecoms' monopoly power. Especially so, now that some of the media companies own the entire stack from content production to distribution.) It's slowly changing, with some alternative ratings systems starting to gain traction, but Nielsen still rules the roost.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

They don't unless you're a Nielsen household. Ratings are determined by a few hundred households in each market, who deliberately track their viewing habits. Nielsen takes that data, does some secret math wizardry to extrapolate their habits out to an entire TV market, and then hands those numbers out to the local stations. Stations can then point to these numbers when they sell commercial space to companies.

If you aren't one of those households, your viewing habits mean squat to the ratings.

It's absurd and stuck in the 1970s, but it's the due to regulatory restrictions and inertia. (The technology to track everything is certainly there now that everyone has to use a cable box, but that opens up a TON of questions regarding privacy and the telecoms' monopoly power. Especially so, now that some of the media companies own the entire stack from content production to distribution.) It's slowly changing, with some alternative ratings systems starting to gain traction, but Nielsen still rules the roost.

Hmm, Thanks Needfuldoer, that's interesting, and I frankly have No Idea about how ratings work, etc. Here in Australia - I watch only a little TV these days and only Free to Air, but being digital now, I actually had wondered if they can possibly gather ratings data directly somehow? Again forgive my ignorance.

Here we have about 20 or so Channels and the content is pretty clearly segregated between Corporate/Low-Brow dare I say Right-leaning material and really excellent broad-vision Worldly and inclusive programming. Advertising permiates all, except for the last remaining Government-Supported Station, ABC, which has been progressively and systematically destroyed by both sides of Politics over the last few decades.

10 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

Well there you go! Adnauseum is intended to act as a protest while preventing ads from being seen by making ad metrics useless to those who rely on them. I was thinking of a more benign, invisible approach. But certainly the techniques used by Adnauseum would be useful.

In Adnauseum's FAQ they explain that for YouTube, adblocking is against Google's terms of service if the viewer is logged in to a Google account. Adnauseum recommends viewing YouTube without being logged in to a Google account regardless of any adblocking.

ya but they are trying to force you to have a google account to use anything google... even mind craft... unless your going to find a work around for everything its probably a losing battle.

5 hours ago, D1D01 said:

Hmm, Thanks Needfuldoer, that's interesting, and I frankly have No Idea about how ratings work, etc. Here in Australia - I watch only a little TV these days and only Free to Air, but being digital now, I actually had wondered if they can possibly gather ratings data directly somehow? Again forgive my ignorance.

Here we have about 20 or so Channels and the content is pretty clearly segregated between Corporate/Low-Brow dare I say Right-leaning material and really excellent broad-vision Worldly and inclusive programming. Advertising permiates all, except for the last remaining Government-Supported Station, ABC, which has been progressively and systematically destroyed by both sides of Politics over the last few decades.

well there are smart tvs that collect data and well everything will be 'smart' so even your toster will send data back to them...

unless your going to hack all of it and it gos against the right to repair meaning oping up the toster is braking a law...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 2/28/2022 at 8:24 AM, thrasher_565 said:

ya but they are trying to force you to have a google account to use anything google... even mind craft...

minecraft requires a microsoft account, not google

✨FNIGE✨

Just now, FnigePython said:

minecraft requires a microsoft account, not google

is Microsoft and google not the same thing? regardless the point was it was not needed before. ya you need a mojan account but now a Microsoft account.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

is Microsoft and google not the same thing?

They are not the same company. Nor are they owned by the same company (iirc microsoft isnt even owned by any company whereas google is owned by alphabet)

✨FNIGE✨

15 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

is Microsoft and google not the same thing?

No...

15 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

regardless the point was it was not needed before. ya you need a mojan account but now a Microsoft account.

Microsoft owns Minecraft now - they have a robust account management system already, so it makes sense that they would sooner or later discontinue the Mojang accounts and migrate over to Microsoft accounts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)