McAfee Agent bug lets hackers run code with Windows SYSTEM privileges

darknessblade

Summary

McAfee Enterprise (now rebranded as Trellix) has patched a security vulnerability discovered in the company's McAfee Agent software for Windows enabling attackers to escalate privileges and execute arbitrary code with SYSTEM privileges.

Quotes

"McAfee Agent, which comes with various McAfee products such as McAfee Endpoint Security, includes an OpenSSL component that specifies an OPENSSLDIR variable as a subdirectory that my be controllable by an unprivileged user on Windows," Dormann explained.

"McAfee Agent contains a privileged service that uses this OpenSSL component. A user who can place a specially-crafted openssl.cnf file at an appropriate path may be able to achieve arbitrary code execution with SYSTEM privileges."

My thoughts

This is just Hilarious, they tried rebranding themselves under a new name {potentially in hope of eliminating all bad PR}, and now their product itself has a major security leak, allowing hackers to run malicious code at SYSTEM level.

I really hope "Trellix" pulls the plug of anything Security related for systems.

Mcaffee must burn a cruel death, and should never should see the dawn of light EVER again, not should they force users to uninstall it trough tedious ways, because it got installed as bloatware on a OEM system.

Sources

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=SB10378

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/mcafee-agent-bug-lets-hackers-run-code-with-windows-system-privileges/

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Oh boy, another one?

That's 3 in the past 24hrs alone......

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Continuous patching

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

23 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Continuous patching

Yet they never implement the No bloatware Patch.

Where the software is no longer added to OEM PC's

║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║

McAfee Enterprise is not the same as McAfee for home use, just FYI.

This does NOT apply to the home installer, only the enterprise agent, which is probably worse from a security perspective.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

And that’s why I got a custom PC. No McAfee, no problem. Oh sorry, I mean “Trellix.”

dude just like with facebook, never call them that, always call them McAfee, it ensures that their rebrand will fail.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

30 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

dude just like with facebook, never call them that, always call them McAfee, it ensures that their rebrand will fail.

McAfee for home users didn't change names....

It's like calling HPE and HP the same company

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3rd party virus software has been outdated and unnecessary for some time now. Seems irrelevant to report on. (My opinion.)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Cartels are probably behind the hacks.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

13 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

3rd party virus software has been outdated and unnecessary for some time now. Seems irrelevant to report on. (My opinion.)

Even if windows defender is much better now, it is usually the  UI and features people are used to, for why they opt for a 3rd party antivirus.

I use AVAST pro [internet security] for years now. and like the interface, and features it has.

from the easy to use firewall, allowing you to easily set and change firewall rules, without having to look deep in windows settings just to block 1 app/game from accessing the internet,

to being able to block entire Domain's/sub domains, with a few clicks. [which is not possible in windows, unless you alter the Host file]

20 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

In the consumer desktop space yes. In enterprise applications, not so much. Products like Defender ATP or Intercept X most definitely still have their place and it's this market that McAfee Endpoint Security exists in.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

whats with all the "rebranding"? should be made illegal at this point, i mean rebrand away, but there should  always be mention of previous names included in logos etc… intentional misleading of already burned consumers should  simply not be allowed .

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/23/2022 at 8:35 PM, darknessblade said:

Mcaffee must burn a cruel death, and should never should see the dawn of light EVER again, not should they force users to uninstall it trough tedious ways, because it got installed as bloatware on a OEM system.

Mcafee "committed suicide". whoever is doing the software clearly do not have the same insights as him.

If anything, it could even be related to his death.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition