Jump to content

Windows 11 - Insider Program - Master Thread

GoodBytes
 Share

Stupid question, how do you use the multiple desktop function? Like creating separate desktops and switching between them.

 

Mine doesn't have the taskbar icon I had in Win 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im having issues installing it. im using the dev channel and my specs are ryzen 7 3700x and rtx 3080 with gksill 64gb of ram  and 500gb m.2 ssd and when i try to install it, it goes till about 48% stays there for about 5 mins and then restart and says failed and says undoing changes  . please help  cause idk what causing this issue. ive tried 3 times and all ends up undoing changes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GodofLight said:

Im having issues installing it. im using the dev channel and my specs are ryzen 7 3700x and rtx 3080 with gksill 64gb of ram  and 500gb m.2 ssd and when i try to install it, it goes till about 48% stays there for about 5 mins and then restart and says failed and says undoing changes  . please help  cause idk what causing this issue. ive tried 3 times and all ends up undoing changes 

Ok let's starts with the basics:

  • Did you ever use a registry cleaner in the past with this install of Windows 10 that you are using? How about those "PC optimizing" tools (beside defrag)?
  • Do you have an A/V or other security software installed?
  • Is all your hardware properly detected under Device Manager?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ok let's starts with the basics:

  • Did you ever use a registry cleaner in the past with this install of Windows 10 that you are using? How about those "PC optimizing" tools (beside defrag)?
  • Do you have an A/V or other security software installed?
  • Is all your hardware properly detected under Device Manager?

no never used a registry cleaner on this system and i dont use Anti virus and no cleaning tools.  and yes everything is detected in DM and everything is up to date   and i made sure i had enough storage on my C drive for it to install  so far over 100gb free space 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hype:
image.thumb.png.c7c0eeae603281ac4899b60d80faec5e.png

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

 

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

 

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GodofLight said:

no never used a registry cleaner on this system and i dont use Anti virus and no cleaning tools.  and yes everything is detected in DM and everything is up to date   and i made sure i had enough storage on my C drive for it to install  so far over 100gb free space 

Excellent!

Try:

  • Run Disk Cleanup (Start > type: Cleanup > and pick "Run as Admin" on "Disk Cleanup" > pick C:\ drive > check all boxes (beside Downloads, which is your Download folder, if you have that item). Once done, continue bellow item:
  • Run Windows Update Troubleshooter (Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > "Additional Troubleshooters" (link) > Windows Update.

Restart your system and try again.

If that fails, just to rule out data issues: run chkdsk and sfc /scannow (command prompt ran as Admin is required). Restart after.

 

If that doesn't help Are you getting any error codes, does event viewer showing anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the new settings menu. It is somehow even worse than the Windows 10 one in my eyes.

 

Just an example of why it is bad. Click on these pages:

System -> Display -> HDR -> Video playback page -> HDR -> Video playback page -> HDR -> Video playback page

 

This should not be possible. You shouldn't be able to end up in a loop when going through settings pages. Why not organize it in a folder structure?

I get what they are trying to do. They are thinking that if you are in the settings menu trying to edit HDR settings, you might be interested in video playback settings as well, but the result is that you break the hieratical structure and it just becomes a mess.

 

This is how a menu should be organized:

image.png.400b89ece68956823f7a51728d13f62f.png

 

Not like this:

image.png.0de0a482ddff3a7ddadb30eb027a2a33.png

 

The former is easy and logical.

The latter is extremely disorganizing and messy.

 

 

And if you think I am overreacting, just look at the address bar at the top of the settings menu.

This:

image.png.10fdbb05d6fb3fdb9f783efed563df82.png

 

should not change to this from just one click:

image.png.21e96cc2bb7ee3bd62c412e87cc756af.png

 

 

It's not like there is any structure or indication of when you will get sent to another category either.

You might think that anything marked as "related settings" will bring you to another subcategory but nope, sometimes even "related settings" are lower down in the hierarchy.

System > Display > Advanced display (related settings) does not bring you to another category. It follows the hierarchy.

 

 

Also, the headers aren't consistent.

In the System > Display > HDR portion it says "related settings" as a header.

If you go to "Bluetooth & Devices > Cameras" you will find a header that says "related" rather than "related settings".

 

 

Microsoft talked a lot about how "details matter" during their press conference and these type of things indicates to me that they do not give two damns about details.

It's not like they can blame it on it being unfinished either since this is a new menu they built from the grounds up and deliberately added that button there. If there are buttons missing you can blame it on it being unfinished. If buttons have been added that breaks the logical structure then you did it on purpose.

 

 

Also, the new settings app feels really slow. That might be because it's running in a VM so I won't be too harsh on it, but there are quite long delays for some actions (like going backwards) that are not present in other parts of the OS. So I won't rule out that the settings app is just poorly coded. At least in its current state. On my system there is about a 2 second delay from when I press something like the back button, to it actually going back. Things like the on/off switches are responsive though and so is the old control panel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the taskbar group options are still bugged.

Hoping next week build will fix it.

... you too 35?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not like this:

image.png.0de0a482ddff3a7ddadb30eb027a2a33.png

It is like a game. Stanley's Parable, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I hate the new settings menu. It is somehow even worse than the Windows 10 one in my eyes.

 

Just an example of why it is bad. Click on these pages:

System -> Display -> HDR -> Video playback page -> HDR -> Video playback page -> HDR -> Video playback page

 

This should not be possible. You shouldn't be able to end up in a loop when going through settings pages. Why not organize it in a folder structure?

I get what they are trying to do. They are thinking that if you are in the settings menu trying to edit HDR settings, you might be interested in video playback settings as well, but the result is that you break the hieratical structure and it just becomes a mess.

-snip-

It's because you are clicking options under "related settings". Simple as that.

It's an organization issue, they are just shortcuts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It's because you are clicking options under "related settings". Simple as that.

It's an organization issue, they are just shortcuts.

See:

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It's not like there is any structure or indication of when you will get sent to another category either.

You might think that anything marked as "related settings" will bring you to another subcategory but nope, sometimes even "related settings" are lower down in the hierarchy.

System > Display > Advanced display (related settings) does not bring you to another category. It follows the hierarchy.

 


Great attention to details Microsoft...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, LAwLz said:

See:

 

I don't see the problem.

What would "related" settings lead you to a sub item...

You'll just have duplicated entries. Then you'll complain about that.

 

Are you suggesting that each button have a text like this?

"The following button, if clicked on via your mouse, or taped on via your finger (please note, you cannot tap on with your mouse, unless you have a touchpad, also referred to a trackpad) will lead you to another settings location. This settings pane is located at X > Y > Z."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't see the problem.

What would "related" settings lead you to a sub item...

You'll just have duplicated entries. Then you'll complain about that.

 

Are you suggesting that each button have a text like this?

"The following button, if clicked on via your mouse, or taped on via your finger (please note, you cannot tap on with your mouse, unless you have a touchpad, also referred to a trackpad) will lead you to another settings location. This settings pane is located at X > Y > Z."

What? I think you mistyped a word or something because your sentence doesn't make any sense.

 

Like I said, sometimes "related settings" will bring you to a completely different category (like in the case of the HDR settings button) and sometimes it will bring you to a regular submenu that follows the same folder hierarchy as other buttons (like in the case of advanced display).

The inconsistency is really bad.

 

Also, the problem I am having with the settings menu is that there are duplicate buttons bringing you to the same destination. That's bad. You shouldn't be able to get stuck in loops in your settings app.

My suggestion is that they remove all the extra shortcuts so that you can only arrive at each menu through a specific path. It makes the settings far more organized.

 

Did you even read my post? Because I described this in detail, even using pictures, in my previous post, and now you're making a silly strawman argument.

No, of course I do not suggest they add a massive explanation to each button. I never said or even hinted that that's what I wanted them to do. What I suggest they do is exactly what I wrote in my original post. Make the settings app follow a hierarchical structure. The menus should be like nested folders.

The current settings app follows the structure of spaghetti.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, is it just me that can't see most of my apps in the new Microsoft Store?

When I go to my library I only see Twitter (was pre-installed so I uninstalled it), Candy Crush Saga (was pre-installed so I uninstalled it) and Physamajig (never seen it but it says I bought it in 2012-02-29, which is before I even created this test account I am logged in as).

 

I can't remove the apps like Twitter or Candy Crush. From what I can tell, they are permanently added to my library.

 

I also can't see apps that are delivered through the store in my library. Apps like Notepad.

When I search for notepad and waddle through the crap (like the 2 dollar "WinSoft NotePad" app, or the 1 dollar NotePad Native app which for some reason wants to connect to the Internet and browser your pictures) to the real "Windows Notepad" app from Microsoft, it says it is installed. But if it's installed, why isn't it showing up in my library?

Same with the Windows Terminal.

 

Is there any way to see all the installed apps that are being updated through the store, in the store? I'd like to be able to just click "get updates" and have my programs update. That's how I do it in the current store.

 

 

They should probably fix that.

 

 

Another thing I noticed when I had the store open was that the anti-aliasing on the rounded corners are awful when you got dark mode enabled. This corner does not look good, and it's the same in all 4 corners. Anyone else having this issue? It might be related to the VM.

image.png.99884c8e06a890cb6f8398f88220325e.png

 

Edit: The aliasing issue seems to only be in UWP programs. Things like the control panel and explorer looks fine, but Settings, the store and the gallery does not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What? I think you mistyped a word or something because your sentence doesn't make any sense.

 

Like I said, sometimes "related settings" will bring you to a completely different category (like in the case of the HDR settings button) and sometimes it will bring you to a regular submenu that follows the same folder hierarchy as other buttons (like in the case of advanced display).

The inconsistency is really bad.

 

Also, the problem I am having with the settings menu is that there are duplicate buttons bringing you to the same destination. That's bad. You shouldn't be able to get stuck in loops in your settings app.

Oooh I see. True.

 

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

My suggestion is that they remove all the extra shortcuts so that you can only arrive at each menu through a specific path. It makes the settings far more organized.

No I disagree with this. Because you rely on the user to use search feature, but that means you expect that the user knows what he is looking for.

Related settings is there so that if someone goes to Display, because, say he finds the text too small and has trouble reading it, you don't want the user to use resolution or Display Scaling which isn't relally what the user wants. He/she just wants the text bigger. So, you have a related option that will bring the user under the Accessibility section to adjust the text size.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Oooh I see. True.

 

No I disagree with this. Because you rely on the user to use search feature, but that means you expect that the user knows what he is looking for.

Related settings is there so that if someone goes to Display, because, say he finds the text too small and has trouble reading it, you don't want the user to use resolution or Display Scaling which isn't relally what the user wants. He/she just wants the text bigger. So, you have a related option that will bring the user under the Accessibility section to adjust the text size.

But if that's the case then they have to make sure it is consistent so that every time you press a "related settings", you get brought to a different category. You can't have it like it is right now where sometimes "related settings" is just another settings page further down the settings tree, while other times "related settings" jumps to a different branch of the tree.

And like I said before, both of these are new in the Windows 11 Settings app. So it's not like it's som inconsistent carry over from Windows 10. This was designed this way on purpose.

 

If Microsoft want to push the narrative that they care about details, then I shouldn't be able to find these inconsistences and poor design choices within 10 minutes of me starting the OS up and starting to customize it a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

And wouldn't you know it, the feedback hub is as useless as it was in Windows 10.

 

I was going to submit feedback but it is obvious that Microsoft are not interested in feedback that do not align with their goals.

Take this as an example:

image.png.54d890b709071d890a25e25cee9f3d52.png

 

I agree. I do not want "recommendations" in my start menu. I just want to be able to pin the programs I use most commonly there in case I want to click to open (rather than type which is faster anyway).

 

Well, Microsoft has replied to this request!

image.png.833c716bcf75b1eddd5548863799c43e.png

 

Wait... The feedback was "let us remove the recommended section" and the response is "you can turn off recently added apps in the settings"?

People were asking to remove "recommended", not "recently added". My guess is that Microsoft do not want to remove the "recommended" section because they are going to fill it with ads, so instead of listening and addressing the feedback they start talking about something else instead. It was the same deal with Windows 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Under Settings > Privacy & Security > Windows Security > Device Security

I see this, is it just me? I've got everything enabled, Secure Boot, TPM 2.0, etc. and under System Information I also see the bottom screenshot:

 

image.thumb.png.e68bd54af0cf78f24dd489afc847c19c.png

 

 

 

image.thumb.png.45f7b343f13a7cb6b6e3d586fda1c983.png

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point I just blame Canada, and hope LTT fixes it. 🙂

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

 

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

 

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to download this insider version from Microsoft ? I mean like an ISO or something.

 

Edit: oh i see previous page… doh.

 

 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

 

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

With lot of messing around with windows 10 i was able to get the insider build to install on a pc without tpm and running on sandy bridge gotta mess with the registry and replacesing a  dll file with a custom one to trick windows you are able to install it on a system with a old cpu and no tpm

and someone made a handy guide https://www.androidsage.com/2021/06/29/how-to-download-and-install-windows-11-insider-preview/#:~:text=In 4K Resolution-,How to download and install Windows 11 Insider Preview on,to flight Insider Preview builds.

 

also here is a image of some settings windows security looks a little confused

 

                       proof.thumb.PNG.4edf9ec9907d91184458bfb181f9efd0.PNG

 

Main Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 5600x  Motherboard: Msi b450 gaming plus max  RAM: 32gb corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz ram  GPU: Nvidia rtx 2070 SUPER 8gb Case:  cooler master td500   PSU: corsair 750watt bronze80+  Cooling: Kraken x53 aio Storagewdblack snd750,3tb wd blue hdd

 

2nd Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3  RAM: 16gb 3000mhz gskill Aegis  GPU: Nvidia gtx 1650super 4gb  Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB311L ARGB Airflow PSU: corsair cx 550watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler Storage: adata su635 240gb ssd, seagate 750gb 7200rpm hdd

 

 

3rd pc CPU: i7 2600 Motherboard: asus H61M-E  RAM: 16 gb ddr3 1333mhz GPU: nvidia gtx 1060 3gb Case: thermaltake versa h18 PSU: evga 450watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Cooler Master I70C (Copper Core) Mini CPU Cooler Storage: crucial mx 500 500gb ssd, wd blue 1tb 7200rpm hdd 

 

 

                                    

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2021 at 7:56 PM, Tieox said:

Also for those interested

Doesnt work for me… im only getting errors…?  Except two items that seem to download every time…

 

edit: ok now it seems to dl more… but still errors out at some point, oof.

 

edit2: seriously any idea why this keeps happening?

20210701_053042.thumb.jpg.9d00deba7c03a05926d85d76042845d0.jpg

 

the error is always "403" its just not getting a connection i guess? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

 

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Doesnt work for me… im only getting errors…?  Except two items that seem to download every time…

 

edit: ok now it seems to dl more… but still errors out at some point, oof.

 

edit2: seriously any idea why this keeps happening?

 

 

the error is always "403" its just not getting a connection i guess? 

You can take a screenshot via Snip & Sketch tool built into Windows.

You can also set so that the app starts when you hit the Print Screen key (Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard. Or under Windows 11: Start > Settings > Accessibility)

 

Try again. Server had issues. Should be working now. Depending on your system specs, you may need to disable Windows Defender during the processing stages, as it will scan every single file, and it will appear as it is being stuck for a very long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Try again. Server had issues. Should be working now. Depending on your system specs, you may need to disable Windows Defender during the processing stages, as it will scan every single file, and it will appear as it is being stuck for a very long time.

ok, but it didnt get stuck , it just didnt  download anything, 0 bytes… when it worked it was really fast maxing out my line.

The funny thing is its already 2.69GB… and total is just above ~3GB…

 

Well, ill try again, maybe turn off defender then.

 

edit: it worked!

took 1 minute, its making a install.wim now

 

and then i need to make an installation media with "rufus"?

 

 

Now its "adding packages" maybe thats what you meant, seems kinda stuck currently - ill just wait.

yup, turned off defender, still stuck

>.<

Now working again, hahaha ~

 

Jesus, that was like rocket surgery….i aborted almost twice…

 

first it didnt do anything for a while then i pressed enter, then it "saved image" then i had to press again then it "unmounted" the image… 

 

And then… it started to do everything  *again* 👀 lol… 

 

How about just downloading the iso instead. 🤦

 

 

Edited by Mark Kaine
it finally finshed "press 0" alright!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

 

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×