Windows 11 - Insider Program - Master Thread

GoodBytes

New build - 22000.100

What's New?

• The hidden icons flyout panel on the task bar now matches the Win11 design.
    overflow-flyout.png.8bfd2963d91e3bd2d48da6c960e54778.png

• Notification Tray has now Focus Assist Setting item to quickly jump to it.
    Focus-assist-settings-notifications.png.5c68cdc2989afac2d3fa177c8aa92a20.png

• Calendar can now collapse completely

• Taskbar now shows when a program wants your attention. It puts the background of the item in a light red tone, and the pill icon turns from the selected accent color (or gray for unfocused apps) to red, similarly to previous versions of Windows.
    taskbar-button-glow.png.f1ad6bc69b22f77f6419cd635abb9753.png

• Touch keyboard icon was updated to be the same size as other icons

• The Store app got updated to feature improved navigation animations, making the store look more fluid

What's fixed?

A lot was fixed in this build!

Fixes

• Taskbar:
    • We fixed the issue that was causing Explorer.exe to crash when the date and time button on the Taskbar is clicked to access new notifications with Focus Assist turned off.
    • Added the missing settings icons for the context menu entries when right clicking network, volume, and battery in the Taskbar.
    • Fixed an issue that was making the clock in the Taskbar get stuck and out of sync.
    • Addressed an explorer.exe crash that could happen after resuming from standby, related to the volume icon in the Taskbar.
    • Addressed an issue where the progress bar below app icons in the Taskbar was not displaying in some cases.
    • Clicking on the Taskbar when either Start or Search is open will now make them dismiss.
    • If you tap Taskbar icons using touch you should now see the same icon animation that was visible when using the mouse.
    • The lunar calendar (when enabled) text should no longer overlap the numbers in the Taskbar calendar flyout.
    • The calendar flyout should now show the correct month when in a collapsed state.
    • The date at the top of the calendar flyout should now follow your preferred format and not the format matching your display language.
    • If the Start menu is open, when hovering over Task View the window will now appear above Start menu instead of behind it.
    • Right-clicking Task View will now make the preview window dismiss so you can actually use the context menu.
    • Fixed an issue where if you click on a snap group in the Taskbar, it might not bring up all the app windows after docking and undocking.
    • The icons used for the On / Off indicators in the Taskbar for the Pinyin IME are now a consistent size.
    • Signing out and back in when battery saver is running should no longer result in Taskbar becoming transparent.
    • Mitigated an issue making the network icon sometimes unexpectedly not show in the Taskbar.
    • The Taskbar previews will no longer draw offscreen after upgrading to this build.
  • Settings:
    • We fixed an issue causing multiple buttons and options in Settings to not work in the previous flight, including Go Back and Reset Your PC under Recovery, enabling Developer mode, renaming your PC, and enabling Remote Desktop.
    • The page titles in Settings should no longer be drawing too high up / off screen.
    • Searching for add and remove programs in Settings should now return the expected Settings page.
    • We’ve done some work to help search in Settings initialize faster.
    • Addressed an issue that was causing crashes in Settings when interacting with the Windows Insider Program section.
    • Fixed an issue that could make Settings crash on launch.
    • Fixed an icon rendering issue in Power and Battery Settings.
    • Fixed some reliability issues with the Language and Region page in Settings.
    • Made a change to help address a problem where the preview in Personalization Settings sometimes unexpectedly showed you were using a black wallpaper when you weren’t.
    • The font used in the Lock Screen Settings preview should now match the actual lock screen.
    • Fixed a bug making all the icons in Quick Settings appear unexpectedly flipped for Insiders using the Arabic display language.
    • Using the brightness slider in Quick Settings should now show a number as you’re adjusting, like it does with volume.
  • File Explorer:
    • Using mouse to open the context menu in File Explorer and on the desktop should no longer display a keyboard focus rectangle on first launch (until you start using the keyboard to navigate it).
    • We’ve tweaked the context menu to address feedback that sometimes submenus were unexpectedly closing when you were trying to use them.
    • Fixed a flicker where you could see New become New Item in the context menu.
    • We’ve done some work on the context menu positioning logic so that submenus should no longer appear partially offscreen or unexpectedly far away.
    • We fixed two issues impacting explorer.exe reliability when bringing up the context menu, including specifically when right-clicking on a zip file.
    • Addressed an issue causing the “Unpin from Start” option when right clicking an app to not work.
  • Search:
    • Fixed an issue making Search’s shadow appear boxy.
    • Have adjusted the positioning of the Search window when the Taskbar is left aligned, so that it matches Start.
    • We’ve addressed an issue where what was displaying when hovering over the Search icon in the Taskbar wasn’t in sync with what would actually launch when you clicked one of the entries.
    • If you’ve launched websites using Search, those should now be properly displayed in the recent searches when hovering over the Search icon in the Taskbar.
    • Made a change to address an issue where some Insiders were unexpectedly not seeing the brightness slider in Quick Settings after upgrading.
  • Widgets:
    • We fixed an issue resulting in your widget configurations not getting saved and unexpectedly being reset.
    • The widgets board and content should now be sized for the correct screen when using multiple monitors.
    • Addressed an issue where sign-in wasn’t working for widgets in some scenarios due to authentication hanging.
    • We’ve made another fix to address the clock in the widgets board not following your preferred format.
  • Other:
    • Device Security should no longer say “Standard hardware security not supported” for Insiders with supported hardware.
    • With this build the access keys for WIN + X (so that you can do things like “WIN + X M” to launch Device Manager) should now appear consistently.
    • Fingerprint sign in should no longer stop working after rebooting your PC.
    • Addressed an accessibility issue where keyboard focus would disappear from Start after pressing Tab then Shift + Tab.
    • Fixed a bug causing the informational pop ups in voice typing to not dismiss on click.
    • Fixed an infinite loop making some Insider’s devices hang during shutdown.
    • We made an adjustment to help address an issue causing the title bar to not render correctly on certain apps.
    • Made a fix to stop your wallpaper from flashing when switching between Desktops.
    • Updated the snap layouts window to now use the default animation for flyouts instead of just popping in.
    • Addressed an issue that was making Sticky Notes and Microsoft To Do crash on launch sometimes.
    • Fixed a DWM memory leak that was happening when rotating your device back and forth between landscape and portrait mode.
    • Made a change to address the issue where text could become truncated in the message dialog from Windows Update alerting that an update was ready.
    • Window borders should now be displayed correctly when using high contrast.
    • Turning off “Show shadows under windows” in Performance Options should now actually turn off the shadows under windows.
    • We’ve made some tweaks to fix an issue where context menus and tooltip were appearing far from the mouse when using Windows with the Arabic display language.
    • Addressed an issue where the network icons on the lock screen and login screen weren’t consistent.

No major known issues this time.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/07/22/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-100/

for some reason after installing the newest update my pc wont startup anymore, it posts but wont go to the login phase just blacks out there.

gonna try doing the update on my laptop aswell and see if the same issue is appearing.

Edit* Alright its works again now, just had to start in safe mode and uninstall the update and install it again.

but know this update KB2267602 (Version 1.343.1533.0) seems to not install anymore, it shows me an error code 0x80070643.

installing the update manually didnt work aswell

Microsoft announces that Windows 11 hits the Beta channel.

We are very excited to announce we are releasing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.100 to Windows Insiders in the Beta Channel! We highly recommend Insiders in the Beta Channel check out this blog post from June 28th that highlights all the new things in Windows 11 to check out and give us feedback on as you use it! As always, be sure to check out the list of known issues in the blog post below on anything that could impact your experience on your PC. We have also added a few new known issues discovered from Insiders in the Dev Channel since the release last week.

NOTE: Insiders in the Beta Channel will not have Chat from Microsoft Teams. We will be looking to enable this for the Beta Channel in the coming weeks.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/07/22/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-100/

As a reminder, Beta channels tend to get monthly updates instead of weekly that the Dev channel offers. Beta channels aims to be more stable than Dev.

For those on the Dev channel and wants to switch to the Beta channel you can do so now, as both the Dev and Beta channel builds matches.

It must be noted that once they no longer match, you can't switch to Beta channel. Windows doesn't support downgrades of builds. You'll need to wait for the next release of the Beta channel.

There will be no new build this week.

From what I hear, the current beta seems to be (on the surface) around the same as the current dev build, minus Teams integration, does this sound like an accurate reflection of the build?

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

46 minutes ago, cacoe said:

From what I hear, the current beta seems to be (on the surface) around the same as the current dev build, minus Teams integration, does this sound like an accurate reflection of the build?

You have read the quote I posted correctly, yes 🙂

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You have read the quote I posted correctly, yes 🙂

Oh lol, I didn't even see that, totally just thought it was a response to someone else's comment lol - I was asking based on something I saw on a different site. But thanks 👍

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

So I decided to give it a go, worst case, I just do a fresh windows 10 install.

First thought- the transparency effect doesn't work all like I expected, I thought it would be like... frosted glass but if you have multiple layers of windows open, the "transparency" seems to be based on the wallpaper which will show through in a very blurred capacity rather than the window below. Probably not news to anyone else, but something I've not seen mentioned so far.

Well after a quick spin, I think I'm ready to go back to Windows 10. I totally knew what I was getting into, the question was, would I be willing to put up with the quirks of the preview in it's current form which the answer turns out to be - nope. 

I've ran prevew versions of Windows before, waited for Windows 7 Beta 2 which was obviously far more polished by that point, Whistler (❤️ for the watercolor theme) was fun to play around with too and I didn't have too many issues but in terms of performance, for me, at the moment, it's too early. Might just wait for RTM rather than wait for a later preview on this one.

16 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Well after a quick spin, I think I'm ready to go back to Windows 10. I totally knew what I was getting into, the question was, would I be willing to put up with the quirks of the preview in it's current form which the answer turns out to be - nope. 

I've ran prevew versions of Windows before, waited for Windows 7 Beta 2 which was obviously far more polished by that point, Whistler (❤️ for the watercolor theme) was fun to play around with too and I didn't have too many issues but in terms of performance, for me, at the moment, it's too early. Might just wait for RTM rather than wait for a later preview on this one.

Performance will not improve. Windows 11 uses some modern security features that newer CPUs have built-in hardware to accelerate and reduce/eliminate the performance impact. This is why Microsoft is pushing for 8th gen Intel CPU and Zen 2.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Performance will not improve. Windows 11 uses some modern security features that newer CPUs have built-in hardware to accelerate and reduce/eliminate the performance impact. This is why Microsoft is pushing for 8th gen Intel CPU and Zen 2.

Tbh, I was mainly speaking about UI responsiveness (which will likely improve), not to mention the graphics driver updated to the latest which I (and others) have had quite a few issues with in Hitman which is pretty much the only game I play.  Not surely rolling back will even work, and wouldn't be ideal. And again, I mostly expected this, just wanted to give it a spin first hand without a VM.

Updated today insider windows 11 beta.

Seems...the same? Nothing weird happened. Visually a little nicer. Maybe slightly snappier?

So far no issues with anything.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Anyone happen to know if there's a way to block automatic driver updates? Seemed to be an option in Windows 10, not seeing it in 11 and Windows is deperate to auto update to the latest nVidia driver, despite me rolling back and having a better experience with the last version. 

Only way I figure at the moment is blocking all updates for 7 days, which isn't the best situation to be in.

@Mister WoofThe beta is the same build as dev currently, it was just deemed good enough to be called a beta. Dev channel will continue to add features (and bugs lol) until it's deemed good enough for a beta update, and so on, and so fourth.

In the unlikely event anyone is interested in the transparancy thing I previously mentioned, it works like so -

Apparently this is by design, the mica design language, although there's the classic microsoft inconsistency, the start menu is fully transparent, the window borders only blur through the current wallpaper by design. (Mica)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design/style/mica

I'm somewhat surprised there isn't more activity in this thread.

Anyway, after a small adjustment period, I'm getting on quite well with it.

Found a bug - it's dumb because it's like... why would you do it in the first place? But if you spam the start button, it refuses to open for a while. Pretty sure this is a new thing.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:28 AM, cacoe said:

I'm somewhat surprised there isn't more activity in this thread.

There isn't that much to talk about really. 

Windows 11 is basically windows 10 with some new icons (but still very inconsistent UI) and some really restrictive and weird system requirements (probably too make people buy new PCs). 

My guess is that it's pretty close to finished as well. A lot of the under-the-hood changes have been in the Windows 10 insider builds for like half a year already, and they aren't making big changes in the newer builds. 

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

New Snipping Tool incoming?

Wish they'd just add an addtional option to win+shift+s to save the screenshot as a file instead of copying to clipboard.

image.png.8ac67fda8736f4e43b3ef81d55c31c84.png

TwoNotes is becoming OneNote again.

Microsoft revealed that it will discontinue UWP version of OneNote and port all its unique features and improvements to the Win32 version. It will also include the new Office look that will better match Win11.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/5/22611531/microsoft-new-onenote-app-visual-refresh-single-app

New Build: 22000.120

This one is big, lots of bug fixes, and many improvements 

• Notification badging for the Chat icon on the Taskbar
  • Improved the close button look on the Taskbar preview windows.
  • "Choose background" menu option on Task View will now move the Settings panel to the selected virtual desktop if it is already open under another desktop.
  • File Explorer’s context menu is now more compact.
  • "New" button under File Explorer now shows a menu to pick what to make new.
  • Virtual touchpad is now back
  • Using WIN + B followed by the arrow keys,
  • Task View flyout will no longer dismiss when renaming a virtual desktop
  • DPI changes will no longer make icon appear duplicated on the taskbar.
  • First day of the week is now reflected in the calendar view. The calendar will now remember your preferred view between restarts
  • Fixed issues with multiple monitors causing the Start menu to appear at the wrong location or crashing having explorer crash. As well as fix the widget panel not showing on the right display.
  • Win+B followed by arrow key allows you to navigate the task bar notification tray
  • Badges on the app icons on secondary monitors should now be in sync with what’s showing on the primary monitor.
  • Multiple actions that crashed Settings panel has been fixed, including graphical issues
  • Progress bars in Settings are now properly accent colored
  • Saving custom themes in Personalization Settings should now work
  • Settings no longer flash green on launch
  • File Explorer also got multiple bugs related to drawing
  • Clicking the rename button in the command bar will no longer randomly show the 'Open With' dialog.
  • Rapidly pressing the Windows key multiple times should no longer crash Start.
  • Improve Start menu launch performance
  • Opening a file under "Recommended" section under the Start menu, no longer opens using the wrong default application.
  • Connecting and disconnecting to a PC over Remote Desktop, and switching users, should no longer make all your open apps unexpectedly minimize.

• Windows Hello Face works again

• Button text in the UAC dialog should display correctly when not using English as the OS language.

• Logging in or locking your PC should no longer cause full screen white or accent colored flashes.
  • The touch keyboard should no longer get clipped after rotating the screen orientation when docked.
  • Fixed certain systems unexpectedly waking from sleep if the touchpad was used to click the Sleep option in Start.
  • BSOD during sleep on some system configuration has been fixed
  • Fixed a performance issue that affected certain game 
  • Fix issued where corner of windows under Dark Theme disn't display correctly
  • Fixed an issue that was resulting in unexpectedly needing to re-pair certain connected devices after rebooting.
  • BSOD during game session has been fixed.

More specifically the Store got updated as well:

• Spotlight now auto-scrolls.
  • New page layout for games
  •  Ratings and Reviews dialog has been reworked

They are more things, the above is just what I found interesting.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/05/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-120/

PSA, slightly older nVidia driver 466.77 seems to resolve the 10bit colour glitches that you might have become accustomed to.

Noticed an issue on the past two builds (.100 and .120) and wondering if anyone else noticed the same. The overflow icons in the bottom left of the screen will randomly pop-up all over the screen for a split second. I've attached a screenshot to show what I mean, the mouse wasn't anywhere near those icons but the sound information just pops up where the mouse is at the time and stays there until I move the mouse (IE: they disappear quickly if I'm moving my mouse around).1045390635_RandomPopups.thumb.jpg.ed98b01473b8e608e5d531e2b0be0ad3.jpg

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I have just updated my Surface Pro 3 with the latest build, and I have noticed that the physical Power buttons, volume buttons, and the Start button that is on the display, all works again now. These would not work in the past, which was very frustrated, as if you didn't have the keyboard attached, you could not be able to wake the device from sleep. You were forced to press and hold the power button until it forced shutdown and turn it back again. When it used to not work, Event Viewer were throwing an ACPI error. This has been solved.

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Noticed an issue on the past two builds (.100 and .120) and wondering if anyone else noticed the same. The overflow icons in the bottom left of the screen will randomly pop-up all over the screen for a split second. I've attached a screenshot to show what I mean, the mouse wasn't anywhere near those icons but the sound information just pops up where the mouse is at the time and stays there until I move the mouse (IE: they disappear quickly if I'm moving my mouse around).

As a quick test, I have not noticed this issue. Looks like you have dual screen or ultrawide screen, which I don't, so I cannot test with such setup.

To test on your side, if you have an ultra-wide screen, try to set the resolution to a non-wide one (and have black bars to the left and right of the screen, with scaling disabled) and see if your problem is solved. I am not saying this as a solution, I am saying you can take these new findings (if it has fixed your problem) and provide it in your ticket under the Feedback Hub.

If it is a dual screen monitor setup, see if disconnecting the secondary display fixes the problem. Again, not saying this as a solution, this is just to investigate to provide additional details to your Feedback Hub ticket.

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

As a quick test, I have noticed this issue. Looks like you have dual screen or ultrawide screen, which I don't.

A thing to test on your side, if you have an ultra-wide screen, try and set the resolution to a non-wide one (and have black bars to the left and right of the screen, with scaling disabled) and see if your problem is solved. I am saying a solution, I am saying you can take this information and provide it in the Feedback Hub with your ticket.

If it is a dual screen monitor setup, see if disconnecting the secondary display, and see if your problem is solved. Again, not saying this as a solution, this is just to investigate to provide additional details to your Feedback Hub ticket.

Good point, yes both computers show this behavior on a ultrawide screen. I've already submitted feedback to the feedback hub but I'll try this week to see if it happens on a non-ultrawide screen as I'll be on vacation/traveling and have my laptop with no external screen. If I don't see it there that should be pretty conclusive.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Oof, I screwed up the English on my last post. Sorry about that. Fixed.

28 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Good point, yes both computers show this behavior on a ultrawide screen. I've already submitted feedback to the feedback hub but I'll try this week to see if it happens on a non-ultrawide screen as I'll be on vacation/traveling and have my laptop with no external screen. If I don't see it there that should be pretty conclusive.

Let us know!