Windows 11 - Insider Program - Master Thread

GoodBytes
12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, you see, that is the Insider program. Sorry for not making this clear. 😕

The company is working on it as we speak. You, we, get weekly releases (just about). What we have has just been approved in a very limited fashion, now maybe it has been implemented already internally at Microsoft, but has yet to pass basic QA. So maybe in a build update or two. And even then, might still be buggy. This is why I said, backup your stuff, it has happened in past where there is a bug data gets lost due to backend of the OS changes, which wasn't capture by the basic QA done.

You can switch to Beta channel for more stable and polish builds (~build each month), or wait until it has been officially release.

I understand its early access, but this is such a critical normal function of windows its baffling its broken at all. I cant imagine they only use single monitor systems to develop at microsoft? I cant roll back to 10 or i will lose my access to 11, i do not meet their inane cpu gen requirement (6700k) so ill stick it out and wait for the fix. As long as its not just me with the issue. Ive been in the fast lane/dev channel since 2015 and this is the first time something this critical and upfront has broken. Its gunna be one bumpy year yall.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

3 hours ago, Pyxlwuff said:

Only issues i've had so far is with settings being a bit unstable overall, and with switching between options and opening menus but that's to be expected (there's quite a few known issues with Settings according to MS with this build). Apart from that it's been smooth-sailing for me. Currently installing stuff like office and grabbing a UWP app build to see how much I can stress this machine to see if MS can "justify" these choices.

Here's the cinebench result after running multiple Photoshop tabs, along with trying to debug a UWP application issue, along with various other programs. Gets placed 13th below the 6600K when it's not under any significant load. Even with all this stuff going on actively and in the background, I didn't experience any significant performance degradation that would've signalled Microsoft to drop support for 6th gen, let alone 7th gen (or even earlier than 6th) in the first place? Hopefully MS realizes quickly what they're doing is a massive mistake (removing the 6th gen line from the 7th gen clarification helps), and adds proper support for them.

image.png.99acd9190c1b841fa0b46a9537e92849.png

3 minutes ago, Pyxlwuff said:

Here's the cinebench result after running multiple Photoshop tabs, along with trying to debug a UWP application issue, along with various other programs. Gets placed 13th below the 6600K when it's not under any significant load. Even with all this stuff going on actively and in the background, I didn't experience any significant performance degradation that would've signalled Microsoft to drop support for 6th gen, let alone 7th gen (or even earlier than 6th) in the first place? Hopefully MS realizes quickly what they're doing is a massive mistake (removing the 6th gen line from the 7th gen clarification helps), and adds proper support for them.

image.png.99acd9190c1b841fa0b46a9537e92849.png

Agree. im on 6700k with no performance issues. I have no idea what microsoft is thinking with this gen requirement. 6 7 8 and 9 are quite literally all the same. They added extra cores and managed to clock a bit higher is about all that changed. I imagine with the internet rage going on around this and tpm, both will be dropped. gen requirement, and tpm down to 1.2. I can almost bet on it.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

The full screen take-over of the ALT-TAB ui is frustrating! 

is there a way to disable this? 

(can't do a screenshot though, sorry)

Could it be that because my 5930k doen't meet the minimum requirements the only channel I get on the insider program is the release channel? or am I doing something wrong?

The reasons for the minimum requirements have ZERO connection with ANYTHING related to performance its PURELY security based. 

Some weird things I've noticed in my 1 hour

Shift & Restart now reboots the PC before showing the additional options menu? This makes the feature pointless.

Sound, Network & Notifications are all the same icon (while bluetooth remains separate). WTF, did an intern make this decision? Those things are totally unrelated to each other.

On the leaked build I had no issues but now Windows Insider says my 2nd Gen Ryzen Laptop doesn't meet requirements.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

41 minutes ago, CPUguy101 said:

The reasons for the minimum requirements have ZERO connection with ANYTHING related to performance its PURELY security based. 

Care to explain what an 8th gen Intel or 3rd gen Ryzen has in terms of security features that older gen models are missing?

The recent swathe of CPU exploits affect all Intel CPUs up to & including 11th gen, Ryzen CPUs are mostly unaffected entirely.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

53 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Care to explain what an 8th gen Intel or 3rd gen Ryzen has in terms of security features that older gen models are missing?

The recent swathe of CPU exploits affect all Intel CPUs up to & including 11th gen, Ryzen CPUs are mostly unaffected entirely.

It seems to be something with hypervisor-protected code integrity (HVCI) being mandatory now. https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/06/28/update-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements/

This reduces performance significantly without Mode Based Execution Control (MBEC) http://borec.ch/the-potential-performance-impact-of-device-guard-hvci/

This is still strange though? Best I can tell zen+ doesn't have MBEC and was on the initial support list, but 7th gen intel does and is absent. You can find some discussion here 

1 minute ago, Craftyawesome said:

It seems to be something with hypervisor-protected code integrity (HVCI) being mandatory now. https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/06/28/update-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements/

This reduces performance significantly without Mode Based Execution Control (MBEC) http://borec.ch/the-potential-performance-impact-of-device-guard-hvci/

This is still strange though? Best I can tell zen+ doesn't have MBEC and was on the initial support list, but 7th gen intel does and is absent. You can find some discussion here 

See my post in the "MS Explanation" thread

2 hours ago, CPUguy101 said:

Not even sure it's security related. I think perhaps the ability to run Android apps? 

4 hours ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

Also, no DESKTOP view when ALT-TAB. Sucks 😞 

(oh, but i think win 10 didn't have this as well, right?)

1 hour ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

When I press Alt +TAB on W10 21H1 it also doesn't show the desktop. Don't know if you could change it in settings though.

Definitely some performance issues I've seen. Several settings with a button toggle take 5-10 seconds to take effect.

Still really dislike the layout of the new start menu especially just because it seems to clunky and unnecessary. Yes there is a registry setting for Windows 10 layout but still that's not something most people will do.

Widgets are a joke at least for now, I changed some stocks around, closed the widget panel, opened it back up and nothing was saved as though I didn't make any changes. Anything clicked on in the widget panel seems to ignore browser preferences too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 hours ago, Tekku said:

Could it be that because my 5930k doen't meet the minimum requirements the only channel I get on the insider program is the release channel? or am I doing something wrong?

It looks like you missed the window to join with bellow minimum specs. Sorry 😕

There is probably a way to bypass this. But not sure at the moment.

21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

i3 7100 getting all channels right now

Is anybody else having to re-enable Defender per boot up?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Shift & Restart now reboots the PC before showing the additional options menu? This makes the feature pointless.

Hmm... The option has been removed or not yet implemented.

You can do it from Settings > System > Recovery > Advanced Startup. That is there. I didn't test it.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Sound, Network & Notifications are all the same icon (while bluetooth remains separate). WTF, did an intern make this decision? Those things are totally unrelated to each other.

So, Bluetooth is the legacy panel, I just remove it from the right-click menu. It's useless for me. I don't know about you guys. It's something I have been doing since ages.

Notifications are separate on my side. It is with the calendar. That is fine.

As for Network and Volume, that is because it replaces the action center. The action center had duplicated option from the network panel, wjich was stupid as well. 

They merged them, because in the list of action buttons, you have Mobile HotSpot and Airplane mode.

6 hours ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

Correct. Only Win+Tab.

I actually prefer the Win11 Alt+Tab. It darkens the screen around. Under WIn10, sometimes, if you didn't have a clean slate on the back, it would make it difficult to quickly visualize the app selected. Like it wasn't usable of course, it did the job. But here, I find it, it pops more the application previews. If that makes any sense...

I've a laptop with a 2820QM and integrated graphics on the leaked dev build. The only insider builds I'm eligible for are the release preview channel.

So I guess I've some waiting to do.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

image.thumb.png.a31d3fef29e386db765020bef6dafc4c.png

I keep having to enable this per boot-up before I report on the feedback hub is anyone else having this?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Also for those interested : 

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I was suposedly already on insiders program just not on this computer? is that why? 😕

33 minutes ago, Tekku said:

I was suposedly already on insiders program just not on this computer? is that why? 😕

Ahh yes. That is it.

One of things I noticed on the dev-build is that accessing the volume mixer has become slightly more of a pain. I did notice like with the previous iterations you can still open it with right-clicking on the sound icon, but they can easily incorporate the mixer within the new UI like when you open the audio device selection menu. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

18 hours ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

Yes! I noticed this too and glad I'm not the only one to find this annoying.