Windows 11 - Insider Program - Master Thread

GoodBytes

Hi, is there any fix yet other than wumgr for preventing Windows 11 update overriding graphics drivers?

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

2tb mechanical storage drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

6 hours ago, bloader said:

Hi, is there any fix yet other than wumgr for preventing Windows 11 update overriding graphics drivers?

Don't they appear under optional updates?

New Build! 22000.132 for both Dev and Beta.

• Chat feature is now available to Beta channel testers
  • New - Snipping Tools! Snip & Sketch and the classic Snipping Tool apps have now collided into a single app!
    image.png.e527291d332db6dad06871f70f42b48d.png

SnippingAnnotate.png

And yes, it supports dark mode like Snip & Sketch did.

• New - Windows Calculator app has been updated a well. In this case, only the look of the app now follows Windows 11 design language

• New - Mail and Calendar look has also been updated to Windows 11 design language
    mail-dark-1.png

calendar-light-crop.png

Note: 

The apps are being delivered via the Store in waves. You won't have them the moment you upgrade to the latest build.

The build also includes fixes. 

Search:

• Did some work to address a scenario where the recent searches list displayed when hovering over the Search icon in the Taskbar was unexpectedly blank.

Widgets:

• We fixed the issue where launching links from the widgets board wasn’t always invoking apps to the foreground.
  • Clicking the widgets icon in the Taskbar should open it on the correct monitor now.

Windows Sandbox:

• The Taskbar (Explorer.exe) should no longer repeatedly crash inside of Windows Sandbox.

Other:

• Addressed an issue leading to some Insiders experiencing a bug check when attempting to roll back in the previous flight.
  • Mitigated an issue that was making certain games go unresponsive after pressing the Enter key.
  • Fixed an issue where the “location in use” indicator icon wasn’t showing up in the Taskbar when it should have been.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/12/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-132/

WSLg version 1.0.26 got also released.

WSLg is the GUI support side of WSL2

It contains:

• Horizontal Scrolling support
  • Bug fixes

https://github.com/microsoft/wslg/releases

Switched from Dev to Beta as I had some issues with my camera no longer working with Windows Hello. 

Works now.

Surface 6 Pro.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 8/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, GoodBytes said:

Don't they appear under optional updates?

They do not, my laptop has the same issue.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 8/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, GoodBytes said:

Oof, I screwed up the English on my last post. Sorry about that. Fixed.

Let us know!

It still showed up on my laptop which stinks BUT I think it might be fixed in the latest .132 build, I'm home now and not seeing it yet but will make sure to watch for it still.

Edit:

Spoke too soon, it's not as often but it's still there 😞

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Anyone have problems with their raid array not showing up? I have an LSI Megaraid SAS9260 8i that won't install a driver and I can't find anything remotely recent for it.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

5 hours ago, Nacht said:

Is there an iso available somewhere of the latest insider build ?

There is no official ISO avail.

If you install Windows 10 (or already have it), and you join the Insider program, you'll get the latest build.

The second-best thing is to go through UUPDump, but some people on this forum have problems, and the process is lengthy to download the files and form the ISO file, and you have no warranty, as this is not endorsed by Microsoft by any means. 

12 hours ago, Lurick said:

It still showed up on my laptop which stinks BUT I think it might be fixed in the latest .132 build, I'm home now and not seeing it yet but will make sure to watch for it still.

Edit:

Spoke too soon, it's not as often but it's still there 😞

I wonder if it is a driver application that is acting up. Like your audio or keyboard or mouse or printer.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I wonder if it is a driver application that is acting up. Like your audio or keyboard or mouse or printer.

See that's the weird thing, the only similarities between my laptop and desktop which both have the issue is the Nvidia GPU but the laptop uses an APU for most stuff anyway which is AMD.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

After spending a decent amount of time with Windows 11, despite liking most changes so far, the start menu imo is highly deficient. That's unless something changes drastically, which I doubt will be the case prior to release with Microsoft (rightly so, if they want to release this year) primarily focusing on bug fixes now.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

Hey guys,

Because of a few small but annoying bugs as well as space on C: getting short I am planning to make a fresh Windows setup next weekend. Would you already recommend to use Win11 as your only OS and daily driver for gaming (mostly Star Citizen) and light video editing (Premiere) or should I wait for an official Release or at lest a more stablw build?

Hardware (as in signature) is compatible and TPM 2.0 is onboard.

Cheers from Switzerland

Martin

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D | Motherboard: MSI MPG X670E Carbon WiFi
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 MHz CL30 2x16GB | GPU: AMD XFX 7900 XTX
Case: BeQuiet Dark Base 900 Pro rev.2 | PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 1000W
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro + Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TBGB M.2 + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 + Seagate Ironwolf 8TB HDD
Watercooling: EKWM Quantum Velocity2 + Alphacool Aurora D5 + Alphacool GPU Block
Radiators & Fans: 420/30 copper rad + 360/30 copper rad all Silent Wings 4 Pro @ 40%
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB | Mouse: Logitech G502X Plus | Mousepad: Logitech Powerplay | Headset: Corsair Virtuoso XT
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 32:9 1440p

who here knows if there are fixes for speeding up 11's performance on VM's? 

my system: 
Dual Xeon X5650 (12 cores, 24 threads)

32gb of ram (16 per cpu)

R9 290X

500GB Samsung 850 EVO

Supermicro X8DT3-LN4F

Manjaro Linux

VM setup:

QEMU/KVM

4 cores, 8 threads

8gb ram

120gb virtual drive

emulated UEFI firmware with emulated secure boot, and emulated TPM to make it "compatible" 🤣

this hardware is plenty speedy to run VM's, and yet my 11 VM is slow as could be. it takes seconds to open the start menu, everything stutters and lags... it's just not fun. 

She/Her

New Build - 22000.160

• New Clock App, including Focus mode and Spotify integration!
    FullApp.png

Besides having the same functionality as under Windows 10, the new app allows you to mute system notifications, and play music of your choice from Spotify for a period of time to help you stay in focus. It also integrated To Do to quickly have your list of Tasks easily accessible.

Read more:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/19/new-clock-app-for-windows-11-with-focus-sessions-rolling-out-to-windows-insiders/

• Update Restart estimate will no longer show on the Power menu if you have an HDD. While Microsoft didn't explain why, it is probably because Microsoft can't properly provide any useful figures with HDDs as the fragmentation and how spread-out data is, can drastically affect the time to takes to perform update.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/19/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-160/

Microsoft is also preparing the first official ISO of the Insider build. It will be the build 22000.132 and should appear soon on Microsoft website.

It should show up here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download

On 8/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, GoodBytes said:

There is no official ISO avail.

If you install Windows 10 (or already have it), and you join the Insider program, you'll get the latest build.

The second-best thing is to go through UUPDump, but some people on this forum have problems, and the process is lengthy to download the files and form the ISO file, and you have no warranty, as this is not endorsed by Microsoft by any means. 

You can download the ISO here now... Download Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO (microsoft.com)

Hey guys, I installed Windows 11 on a second partition (I7-6700k with Z170-A Asus mobo) I decided to dual boot 10 and 11 since Microsoft seems all over the place with supported cpus. However I had a hard time believing it wouldn't work fine since it's still a good cpu and I've had no reason to upgrade. I read on a microsoft forum that once the official windows 11 release comes out they will invalidate working installs of non supported cpus. Does this have any credibility? I can't see microsoft doing this would be a PR nightmare I think. Was wondering if anyone has further info on this. I haven't installed all games yet and tried everything but so far everything appears to be working fine. If anyone is wondering I bought a 14-pin TPM module off amazon for my motherboard and it worked as soon as I plugged it in and was automatically turned on but it's not in the same UEFI menu as most other Asus boards, I believe it was under boot somewhere if I remember correctly but it's kind of moot since it's automatically enabled after plugged in. I'm on the latest firmware so if anyone has an issue with this board I would say update your firmware.

Link to TPM module that works with Asus Z170-A and I would assume other 14 pin modules with the 3rd pin blocked out. (don't get this confused with 14 pin modules that have the first pin blocked out) - https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-TPM-M-R2-0-14-1-Module/dp/B01DQQLH74/ref=nav_signin?dchild=1&keywords=14+pin+asus+tpm&qid=1629441761&sr=8-2&

Link to Microsoft forum where mod made the above claim - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-intel-core-i5-6400-cpu-windows-11-compatible/84bb6c6e-dde8-4036-b1b7-399b566a975d?rtAction=1629397489867

any insights or knowledge of the topic would be appreciated as I need to decide if I want to keep working on my Windows 11 install or just stick with 10. I assume that even if they do deactivate the installs the internet nerds will find a workaround but that might include installing from an ISO or something and might not be available right away if Microsoft pulls a fast one when clearly the chip can run Windows 11 fine. Thanks.

You guys know if it will be possible for my Asus Rampage V edition 10 and 5930k to be compatible with windows 11 trough bios update if asus ever releases it or am I doomed?

3 hours ago, Tekku said:

You guys know if it will be possible for my Asus Rampage V edition 10 and 5930k to be compatible with windows 11 trough bios update if asus ever releases it or am I doomed?

It uses the same TPM 2.0 connector as far as I can tell. Here's the manual for your board, ctrl + f "TPM" You'll fine the pinout on the 3rd search result or something. Page 47.
Manual = https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/RAMPAGE_V_EDITION_10/E11861_RAMPAGE_V_EDITION_10_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

7 hours ago, Jontario said:

Hey guys, I installed Windows 11 on a second partition (I7-6700k with Z170-A Asus mobo) I decided to dual boot 10 and 11 since Microsoft seems all over the place with supported cpus. However I had a hard time believing it wouldn't work fine since it's still a good cpu and I've had no reason to upgrade. I read on a microsoft forum that once the official windows 11 release comes out they will invalidate working installs of non supported cpus. Does this have any credibility?

We will have to wait and see. It is unclear if Microsoft will allow the doors open for Insiders who remain Insiders, or not.

I can't see microsoft doing this would be a PR nightmare I think.

Microsoft seems ready to take on the PR nightmare and low usage of its new OS.

They seem to be pretty set in ensuring that Win11 users have the best experience with supported drivers and UEFI, as well as CPUs with the latest security technologies and acceleration of those security features to not impact performance.

Was wondering if anyone has further info on this. I haven't installed all games yet and tried everything but so far everything appears to be working fine.

Working yes. Performance drop, yes. And that is the problem with unsupported CPUs. Supported CPUs either have no performance drop or gain in performance.

This is due to the CPU lack internal hardware to assist CPU level security to reduce/eliminate performance impact from them.
As I said in the past, Microsoft aims to avoid having another Vista. It wants to be sure that performance is at the very worst, identical to Windows 10, so that people don't complain about it (and start saying incorrect statements like "Windows 11 is bloated", etc.), and wants to avoid systems with BSODs or instabilities or issues due to lack of proper driver support from manufactures.

4 hours ago, Tekku said:

Windows 11 does not officially support your CPU. You need an Intel 8then gen or AMD Zen 2 chip or newer. 

One of the good aspects of 11 insider build in my case is, that the  SSD speeds are back to normal/advertised. At least according to benchmarks.

SSD being Adata SX8200 Pro.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, Jontario said:

It uses the same TPM 2.0 connector as far as I can tell. Here's the manual for your board, ctrl + f "TPM" You'll fine the pinout on the 3rd search result or something. Page 47.
Manual = https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/RAMPAGE_V_EDITION_10/E11861_RAMPAGE_V_EDITION_10_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

I would not get a TPM chip. First, normally your CPU has a firmware TPM. Just ASUS decided to not give you the option to enable it. It is there in the latest UEFI but looking quickly at the user manual on ASUS site, it isn't listed. Second, your CPU is not officially supported in any case, so getting a TPM chip is nice and all, but getting Windows 11 officially is still unclear once the OS is released.

If you have money to burn, and you want to play, and but the odds more on your side in getting Windows 11 working after its released, sure. But aside of that, I would not consider this as a universal solution to get Windows 11.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

We will have to wait and see. It is unclear if Microsoft will allow the doors open for Insiders who remain Insiders, or not.

Microsoft seems ready to take on the PR nightmare and low usage of its new OS.

They seem to be pretty set in ensuring that Win11 users have the best experience with supported drivers and UEFI, as well as CPUs with the latest security technologies and acceleration of those security features to not impact performance.

Working yes. Performance drop, yes. And that is the problem with unsupported CPUs. Supported CPUs either have no performance drop or gain in performance.

This is due to the CPU lack internal hardware to assist CPU level security to reduce/eliminate performance impact from them.
As I said in the past, Microsoft aims to avoid having another Vista. It wants to be sure that performance is at the very worst, identical to Windows 10, so that people don't complain about it (and start saying incorrect statements like "Windows 11 is bloated", etc.), and wants to avoid systems with BSODs or instabilities or issues due to lack of proper driver support from manufactures.

Do we have any hard data that there is even a noticeable performance loss? I haven't noticed anything but I am o/c'd to 4.7Ghz

1 minute ago, Jontario said:

Do we have any hard data that there is even a noticeable performance loss? I haven't noticed anything but I am o/c'd to 4.7Ghz

Yes, in front of my face on 3 systems.

The only reason why 7th gen Intel CPUs are "under evaluation", by Microsoft, is that they are fast enough, at least some models, to hide the performance drop from the security features that Windows 11 uses.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

I would not get a TPM chip. First, normally your CPU has a firmware TPM. Just ASUS decided to not give you the option to enable it. It is there in the latest UEFI but looking quickly at the user manual on ASUS site, it isn't listed. Second, your CPU is not officially supported in any case, so getting a TPM chip is nice and all, but getting Windows 11 officially is still unclear once the OS is released.

It depends where you look, there's an Asus post where z170 supports TPM and it works fine on my motherboard. I think his is newer

Untitled.png